Why doesn't Jorah just cut off his own arm?

Arya_Stormborn

22 minutes ago, nickdt said:

I have a feeling Jorah spreads Greyscale in Meereen, as an equivalant of the Pale Mare in the books and brings it to Westeros (Or infects one close to Dany with it to bring it to Westeros). 

But Jorah is not in Meereen at the moment and doesn't seem to be returning there any time soon, at least not before tracking Daenerys down. 

I personally would omit the whole epidemic part and just burn Meereen. Tyrion is about to set free the dragons anyways. Much easier way to dispose of the all the people who would have to get infected and die of greyscale (which I assume takes much longer than to die of the pale mare). Just my opinion. 

I asked my wife ER nurse and she said if it was viral (or the world of Ice & Fire's equivalent) that it wouldn't matter.

Once it enters the bloodstream it would go to whatever organ it was genetically encoded to attack, the skin being an organ. It might first appear on the point of first contact (Jorah's wrist) but then it could appear on his legs, scalp. chest or anywhere else there is skin.

To stop it, he would have to be treated with a retrovirus... ok at this point I'm not getting much of what she was saying, but the idea is Jorah's f*cked without medicine, it doesn't matter what he chops off.

6 hours ago, RhaeBee said:

But Jorah is not in Meereen at the moment and doesn't seem to be returning there any time soon, at least not before tracking Daenerys down. 

I personally would omit the whole epidemic part and just burn Meereen. Tyrion is about to set free the dragons anyways. Much easier way to dispose of the all the people who would have to get infected and die of greyscale (which I assume takes much longer than to die of the pale mare). Just my opinion. 

Nah, I don't think Tyrion is going to free them willingly. Rather, I think someone will try to feed him to them and they will get out in the process.

2 hours ago, hallam said:

Nah, I don't think Tyrion is going to free them willingly. Rather, I think someone will try to feed him to them and they will get out in the process.

Or maybe the enraged population or the enraged harpies try to kill the dragons, like in The Princess and the Queen and Tyrion goes to free them in order to save them.

This does make me wonder where Jorah is going in TWOW though. At the end of ADWD he is established at the beginning of his own redemption arc. He sold bear poachers into slavery on Bear Island, partly to get money to support a wife who did not love him and who deserted him when he took her to Essos. After that, he joined the Second Sons a d became a sellsword. Now, here he is at the end of the world, back with Tyrion again as a sellsword in the very same Company after doing a stint in chains as a slave being beaten every night. Just as before, he loves and wants to serve a woman who does not love him. But this time, he may be heading with her back in the opposite direction, to Westeros.

I am very excited to see where the "Winds" will take him....by this point we can safely assume that book-verse and show-verse are 2 seperate things. There is poetic justice to Jorah's book arc, it's a little cog of the Wheel turning in George's universe.

Oh and BTW, for those interested...there's a poster named Sweetsunray who posts a lot in the Ranter's thread, I know she's posted here in the TRW "Criticize" thread too. In her footer she has an *INCREDIBLE* essay on GRRM's use of bear mythology and how this is used all through ASOIAF and in particular Jorah, House Mormont and Bear Island. It just shows you that GRRM is a genius and it holds clues to Jorah's fate.

13 hours ago, Arya_Stormborn said:

So do you think that the show is merging Jorah and JonCon into one character?

Yes. Daeny will be the invading Targaryen. They probably thought two invasions will be too much and obviously Dorne ws to them filler and Aegon is heavily involved in this. Daeny absorbs some of what Aegon will do. Jorah what JonCon. Show is notoriously known for mergining characters and giving stuff to do from the books, giving them another names or so.

On 4/27/2016 at 3:25 PM, Woman of War said:

Wait!

Didn't  he have greyscale on his left arm and and a black fingernail on his right hand already? I remember to have seen this when he held Dany's ring.

In that case  everything would be too late.

Haha, I spotted it too, but thought "oh look, what a smart detail to have him bruised after a battle". I didn't recall the greyscale was spreading further than his arm.

1 hour ago, Baltan said:

Haha, I spotted it too, but thought "oh look, what a smart detail to have him bruised after a battle". I didn't recall the greyscale was spreading further than his arm.

LOL! I thought since he's a rugged looking guy maybe he smashed his finger or something filming. Took a bit for my mind to connect it to Greyscale. But since he keeps looking at it right in front of the camera - kind of like Orlando Bloom's Legolas getting right in front of the camera and staring at it to deliver his lines - we should all know where that is going. After all, the show wouldn't have even included the Greyscale stuff if it wasn't important to the end game. They could have included Shireen without Greyscale and skipped the whole Stonemen scene - but they didn't. Jorah, taking over JonCon's story, will make it to Westeros with Dany, and there the Greyscale will spread. Perhaps he doesn't make it to Westeros, but because of him concealing it, we can reasonably assume the consequences will be drastic for everyone, or a pretty good chunk of everyone. In the books Dany promised Jorah a Valyrian sword just before she gets into Drogo's funeral pyre with the dragon eggs. Is it possible the show will fulfill that by Dany killing Jorah with a Valyrian sword for concealing his Greyscale?

On 27/4/2016 at 9:35 AM, Masha said:

In the books, JonCon didn't want to cut off his finger - 1 Finger! There were a lot of overthinking in his POV, and the basic "hope for the best" or "it doesn't always work" basically rationalization and refusal to do what was necessary. I would think that cutting off a finger is much easier than cutting off his arm, so I can't say I blame Jonah here. Plus the show didn't even bother introducing "cutting off" the disease storyline.

Jon didn't cut his fingers because he couldn't just show up and say "oh, noes... I accidentally cut my fingers!!". They would all realise he has greyscale, so he has a good reason to hide it. His only chance was probably during the invasion of the Griffin's Roost, but he missed it :dunno:

Now, Jorah... I honestly don't know why they even gave him greyscale, tbh. We know Jon has it because it gives him limited time to act, and he's now taking rushed impulsive decisions, but Jorah has zero reasons to have greyscale except adding extra drama: I mean, he's not "in a mission" like Jon, he only wants Khaleesi back. Also, Aegon only has Jon, Dany has a lot of people with her. Jorah isn't as needed by her as Jon is to Aegon.

Now, I have always opposed the "Jon will spread the plague" theory. If he didn't spread it during his two months trip from Essos to Westeros in a close environment, he won't spread it in Westeros unless he goes around in a hugging spree. I have the feeling that Greyscale is related to the Others, though. How? Not yet so sure, only a conjecture yet. They just gave it to Jorah because they want shock, they hate me or something like that..

If they hated you, JCRB, they would not have found a so very excellent actor for your replacement. ;)

I too think Jorah's greyscale will have a deeper meaning we don't know yet. If his only role were to spread the disease then this plot line would not have much time to develop, given that the series is going towards the ending. A disease takes time to have its full impact if its purpose is only to diminish population.

Is it possible he's just in denial? Yes, he knows he has greyscale. He knows what it will eventually do to him but since it doesn't seem to have any short-term side effects (like cold symptoms, nausea, etc.), he's fully functioning.

A warrior like Jorah probably feels its best to just soldier on. He has a mission and a part of him is perhaps just blocking it out ("I'll deal with this later"). 

On 4/27/2016 at 6:04 PM, RhaeBee said:

I think he spent enough think to cause an epidemic that causes the burning of mereen. 

According to the books cutting off the afflicted part is not a surefire way to stop the disease. It is known.

"The mortal form of greyscale began in the extremities, he knew: a tingling in a fingertip, a toenail turning black, a loss of feeling. As the numbness crept into the hand, or stole past the foot and up the leg, the flesh stiffened and grew cold and the victim's skin took on a greyish hue, resembling stone. He had heard it said that there were three good cures for greyscale: axe and sword and cleaver. Hacking off afflicted parts did sometimes stop the spread of the disease, Tyrion knew, but not always. Many a man had sacrificed one arm or foot, only to find the other going grey. Once that happened, hope was gone. Blindness was common when the stone reached the face. In the final stages the curse turned inward, to muscles, bones, and inner organs."

(ADWD, Tyrion V)

20 hours ago, Woman of War said:

If they hated you, JCRB, they would not have found a so very excellent actor for your replacement.

U mean :(

If Greyscale is like an infection, then yeah, cutting parts of the body is useless. Many people IRL have lost parts of their bodies after amputation due to infection, only to find out the infection spread other parts.

You might as well ask why Jon Connington didn't do the same in the books. As has been said, it doesn't always solve the problem, and it also leaves you with the stigma of people knowing you cut off a greyscale infected limb. In my head, I've always equated the disease to lepracy, with a similar kind of stigma associated with it.

Also, it's more narratively compelling if he has a disease that's basically a slow but inevitable death.

Archived