Why doesn't Jorah just cut off his own arm?

Arya_Stormborn

23 minutes ago, Mr Smith said:

You might as well ask why Jon Connington didn't do the same in the books. As has been said, it doesn't always solve the problem, and it also leaves you with the stigma of people knowing you cut off a greyscale infected limb. In my head, I've always equated the disease to lepracy, with a similar kind of stigma associated with it.

Also, it's more narratively compelling if he has a disease that's basically a slow but inevitable death.

Shireen had greyscale but it seemed to have been stopped.

39 minutes ago, Mr Smith said:

Yeah, but we don't really know how they did that. And they could hardly cut her head off...

I don't think they did anything. Val said that it sleeps but will waken again. So Jorah may find that it stops spreading for a time. There seems to be no set time for it to kill you.

3 hours ago, Clash said:

Shireen had greyscale but it seemed to have been stopped.

Greyscale affects children differently it seems:

The curse was oft seen in children, especially in damp, cold climes. The afflicted flesh stiffened, calcified, and cracked, though the dwarf had read that greyscale's progress could be stayed by limes, mustard poultices, and scalding-hot baths (the maesters said) or by prayer, sacrifice, and fasting (the septons insisted). Then the disease passed, leaving its young victims disfigured but alive. Maesters and septons alike agreed that children marked by greyscale could never be touched by the rarer mortal form of the affliction, nor by its terrible swift cousin, the grey plague. "Damp is said to be the culprit," he said. "Foul humors in the air. Not curses."

(ADWD, Tyrion V)

On 2016. 04. 27. at 7:04 PM, the red god said:

he only has a few more years left to be of any applicable use to his queen before getting too old and weak to serve her.

What? He's not too old... Selmy is 20 years older and still rather useful. I can't see why he couldn't be of use at least as long.

I can understand Ser Jorah prefering death to losing an arm, being a warrior and all that... but what he's doing, staying around Daenerys's inner circle while infected? That's a horrible way to spend what he's left to live. He's going to destroy Daenerys.

I dunno... maybe he's doing it on purpuse? But it doesn't look like that...

Well it's possible that the greyscale is one of the symptoms of this disease. It could be something like Cancer or it could be something Hepatitis where it is located everywhere.

Another possibility is that he wants to use both his arms to serve Dany. He is old and it might take many years for the grey scale to take form. Despite what it looks like, the passage of time for the tv is not always clear. He might live another 10 years before it even consumes his mind.

Maybe he rather be a full man than half a man. 

Lastly he might still do it after saving Dany. I think if you are going to dismember yourself, you are going to make sure to cut plenty of the arm. If so, wait till you are sure you don't need roughly the entire arm. 

As far as spreading it, I don't think it is really established yet. If it really does spread just by touch, I'm pretty sure everyone would get it and the stone men would rule the Galaxy......

29 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

Well it's possible that the greyscale is one of the symptoms of this disease. It could be something like Cancer or it could be something Hepatitis where it is located everywhere.

Another possibility is that he wants to use both his arms to serve Dany. He is old and it might take many years for the grey scale to take form. Despite what it looks like, the passage of time for the tv is not always clear. He might live another 10 years before it even consumes his mind.

Maybe he rather be a full man than half a man. 

Lastly he might still do it after saving Dany. I think if you are going to dismember yourself, you are going to make sure to cut plenty of the arm. If so, wait till you are sure you don't need roughly the entire arm. 

As far as spreading it, I don't think it is really established yet. If it really does spread just by touch, I'm pretty sure everyone would get it and the stone men would rule the Galaxy......

Well, he DID get infected by contact, and

greyscale is quite contagious in the books...

9 minutes ago, Ser Lepus said:

Well, he DID get infected by contact, and

Hide contents

greyscale is quite contagious in the books...

Except that's not stated in the books or the show. It's an assumption. It might require an open wound. An then there is Shirleen (can't spel her name) who has it, but can't pass it on. 

16 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Jorah is not old.

Pycelle is old. Aemon is old. Bloodraven is old. Melisandre is old.

Jorah is not old.

Yeah, he is old.

they kind of even talk about it

then again, I call my father who is 50 old and he gets mad. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2016 at 1:41 AM, xjlxking said:

Except that's not stated in the books or the show. It's an assumption. It might require an open wound. An then there is Shirleen (can't spel her name) who has it, but can't pass it on. 

Shireen doesn't have Greyscale. She has Greyscale scars, which is different.

Greyscale is in fact three different diseases: 1.- regular Greyscale (the one Jorah has), which is like leprosy, only kinda stony-looking, and WAY more infectous than real-like leprosy. 2.- epidemic Grey Plague, which is kinda like the Black Plague; it is even more contagious than regular Greyscale, but it kills way faster. 3.- children's Greyscale, which is kinda like smallpox.

Children's smallpox is the least infectious of the three versions, and the least lethal. Children can sometimes survive it, but they keep the scars.

On April 27, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Arya_Stormborn said:

Wouldn't this solve his problem? Just wondering.

On April 27, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Arya_Stormborn said:

Wouldn't this solve his problem? Just wondering.

Yes it would.  The one armed swordsman defeated many opponents, except for Zatoichi.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/5/2016 at 0:39 PM, Tywinelle said:

Why doesn't Jorah just cut off his own arm?

Or, why didn't Stannis share the cure used to save Shireen when she was infected as a baby?

Because:

On 20/5/2016 at 0:38 AM, Ser Lepus said:

Greyscale is in fact three different diseases: 1.- regular Greyscale (the one Jorah has), which is like leprosy, only kinda stony-looking, and WAY more infectous than real-like leprosy. 2.- epidemic Grey Plague, which is kinda like the Black Plague; it is even more contagious than regular Greyscale, but it kills way faster. 3.- children's Greyscale, which is kinda like smallpox.

Children's smallpox is the least infectious of the three versions, and the least lethal. Children can sometimes survive it, but they keep the scars.

Archived