You're Ned: find some marriage betrothals for your kids

James Steller

It's just before the beginning of AGOT. You're Eddard Stark, lord of Winterfell, and you want to arrange some future marriages for your kids so that they're provided for. The Northern lords all have their marriage offers, and your wife Catelyn suggests that there are options in the Riverlands too.

Excluding Jon Snow and Rickon, find the best matches you can for your four eldest kids.

Robb -Alice Karstark

Jon - Alysanne Mormont

Sansa - Theon

Arya - Hellman Tallhart

Bran - Wyla Manderly

Rickon - unknown

Harrenhall - Lady Whents heir to Harrenhall was Edmure, so Catlyn was second in line.  If there was a marriage that could be made to strengthen the claim of any of Catlyns children, then that marriage should be considered.

Robb - Wynafryd Manderly , good match from loyal vassal house

Sansa - patrek mallister, trained knight from old and noble riverlander house, probably even with old men origins. He is also brave and gregarious man. He would be for her rather good husband.

Arya - Cley Cerwyn, friend of bran and heir to castle cerwyn what is very close to winterfell so arya could often visit her father

Bran - Bethany blackwood, good match for young bran, who is in similar age, also blackwoods are one of last houses beyond neck what worship old gods

Rickon - Erena Glover, another match from northern vassal house

Jon - Don't need to marry, he is a bastard so he would have a harder time finding a match (Night's Watch)

Robb - Alys Karstark (Must show that they are a northern house and also gain more stability in the north)

Sansa - Andar Royce (I think she was meant to go south. Would have given the most powerful and teh second most powerfull lords in the vale to his side. As Robert Arryn is a cousin of them and House Royce is number 2 in the vale.

Bran - don't need to marry (Night's Watch)

Arya - Helman Tallhart or some other northern heir

Rickon - don't need to marry (Night's watch)

Well if i was to make matches i would go like this:

North:  Domeric Bolton /Arya/Sansa Stark(once a son is born Roose and His sons will no longer be needed ancient rivals better have an accident happen)...

Robb Stark/One of the manderlys(major trading town in control of another house no need for such)  and Brandon Stark/Ryswell girl(so they dont get any ideas).  Also Send Rickon to foster with the mountain clans.  
Give Command of Moat Calin to Jon or if he is not Ned's son as the theory goes give it to Brandon.

Riverlands:  Frey/Brandon(i wont give the heir to anything less then a Lannister/Hightower/Tyrell/Dayne/Yronwood) or Frey/Sansa and maybe some with house Mallister could be found. The reason for those house that are second is simple even a fool knows the martells are planning something and the Tyrells are always scheming if the king's best friend and Lord Paramount marries his son/daughter to  a rivaling house i doubt they will like it in any way shape or form.

Also i would go for Reach and Westerland match Arya as the spare for One of those  Lannister squires  And/or a hightower match.

But then again Ned Stark wouldn't have forced em to marry i on the other hand would wed Arya to Tywin Lannister himself or Ramsay bolton if it meant there would be some gain.

Robb: Should probably marry a lady of the North. Wynafryd Manderly or Alys Karstark, both first born daughters of noble vassals. Wynafryd brings in more money, though having another lady who falls the Seven right after Catelyn may have political drawbacks.

Sansa: Cley Cerwyn and Benfred Tallhart are both friends of the Starks and heirs, which could be a good political move. Andar Royce is a good Southron choice and follows the Old Gods. My favorite choice is Patrek Mallister, because of Sansa's own wants, his closeness to her Uncle Edmure, and the Mallister's victories in the Ironborn Rebellion.

Arya: If Sansa marries a Southron lord, Arya would have to marry a Northern lord for political reasons. Again, Cley Cerwyn and Benfred Tallhart are good choices. I think it would be interesting to marry her to a (non-Mountain) Flint heir.

Bran: Bethany Blackwood is a good choice for their ages, religion, and history. Plus, if Bran became Lady Shella Whent's heir, having a bride from the Riverlands would be a good idea. A Wode daughter would be better if he was the heir, but there's only a Wode knight so far.

Rickon: Erena Glover. He's only 3 years older than her and she's from a great house, so I think it's a good match.

The way I would do it:

Robb - Wynafryd Manderly (blood tie to your most powerful bannerman)

Sansa - Willas Tyrell (blood tie to rulers of Reach)

Arya - Tommen Baratheon (blood tie to King who happens to be your best friend and rulers of Stormlands and Westerlands)

Bran - Meera Reed (blood tie to your most trusted bannerman and friend who happens to guard the way to the North)

Rickon - one of Frey girls (blood tie to the most powerful bannerman of your wife's family as well as having an easy access to the South whenever needed)

Jon - Night's Watch (the same as the books, plus having your bastard as Lord Commander eventually is not too shabby)

I mean, It probably depends on what your goal is in marrying off your children. Assuming he just wants them to be happy, or wants to strengthen his position in the North, or does he know Joffrey / Tommen is a fraud and want to create allies for a rebillion.

I'm going to assume he wants to start a rebellion in 3 to 7 years to place Stannis on the iron throne ( and not declare themselves Kings of the North)

Robb - Shireen, would have to keep the Baratheon name as well and ensure Stannis names Shireen heir and not Renly. He would be King after Stannis dies, and I don't think Stannis would accept anyone but Ned's first born. After the war you even make sure that Stannis is "taken care of" ala Lysa and Jon Arryn, so no sons are born to him. Any future offspring you can call Stark with Stannis gone.

Sansa - Theon - I believe this was always his plan, raise Theon as a friend to house Stark and marry Sansa to turn the IRon Islands into friends rather than foes.

Arya - Sweet Robin - went back and forth between Sweet Robin and Edmure. You want the Vale to support the war and with Arya I think they would, plus I think Edmure and the Riverlands support you regardless. Obviously in this scenario you are getting rid of Lysa in a hurry and maybe having Cat help out as protector.

Bran - Wynafryd Manderly - important to note that Bran is now the heir to Winterfell and future Lord Paramount of the North because Robb is now in position to be King with Shireen. Secures White Harbours support w/ it's income and starts to sure up the North.

Rickon - Roslin Frey - Sure up one of the biggest Riverland supporters and the relations with the crossing. I was thinking about matching the Freys with Bran but I don't think the Northern houses would appreciate that.

Jon - Arrianne Martell - First I would have King Stannis legitimize  Jon (not in the WF line of succession though). Bastards are not looked at as poorly in Dorne either. Obviously you let Doran know about the plot to rebel against the Iron Thorne knowing that he holds a grudge too. With half the kingdoms in rebellion I don't think he sits out and I def don't think he allies with the crown.

You would have the North behind you, The Vale, Riverlands with Edmure supporting you and the Freys appeased, Iron Islands and their Navy, Dorne with Jon (maybe), Stormlands as well who would back Stannis. You may even get some of the crownlands as well. With literally every kingdom in pocket I don't think the Tyrell's join with the crown, they may just sit out but who knows.

For the people suggesting Alys Karstark, she was already promised to Daryn Hornwood. It just didn't happen because he died before she had flowered.

As to who I would have picked:

Robb= Wynafrid Manderly. The richest and possibly second most powerful house in the North is exactly the house I'd want to tie closer to Winterfell against any enemies of House Stark.

Sansa= Andar Royce. Yohn is clearly a friend of mine, Sansa has an idea of being a lady, she thought Waymar was handsome, so I'm assuming that Andar Royce will fit the bill perfectly. Not to mention that Sansa will be living in the safety of the Vale, close to her aunt.

Bran= Meera Reed. Ned and Howland are old friends, so why not wed our children together? It'll tie in perfectly with my plans for Bran.

Arya= This one is tricky. If there was a Mormont boy available, he'd have been perfect, but with that in mind, I guess I'll have to go with Cley Cerwyn. He'd be familiar with Arya and would at least know what to expect with her. She'd be able to hold her own with him.

And I know we didn't have to arrange one for Rickon, but I don't care;

Rickon= Beth Cassel. The Cassels have served us well for a long time, and they deserve a jump upwards in rank for their young child. It might be a bit awkward for them, given that they grow up together, plus the fact that she's six years older than him, but I think it could work.

I assume that Jon will still go to the Wall, so I intend to keep Robb, Bran, and Rickon close by so that Robb can take his seat at Winterfell after me. Over time, I'll send Rickon to the Gift to build a new keep and gather new settlements around it. Bran will eventually go down to Moat Cailin with Meera and oversee its repair so that he can take it as his seat as a masterly branch-off from the Winterfell Starks. Plus, if Jojen doesn't produce any children, Bran's kids would inherit Greywater Watch.

I'm also removing Alys Karstark from the table for the already existing betrothal.

Robb - Wylla Manderly. If there aren't any little brothers popping up for the Manderly sisters, Wynafryd has an argument for inheritance. Wylla is close in age to Robb, spirited, and it's an alliance with the wealthiest house in the North.

Sansa - This is the money marriage I'm laying my chips on for Southron ambitions. I am NOT wedding her to Theon. Give him Lyra or Jorelle Mormont, but Sansa is NOT cut out for the Iron Islands. Outside of Myrcella and Arianne, Sansa's the highest marriage ticket with family ties and bloodlines in Westeros. If I don't want to tie her to Joffrey, then I'm going to shoot for Willas Tyrell and a tie to Highgarden and their supply of food. Barring that, a powerful secondary house in the Riverlands or Vale, like the Pipers, Mallisters, Graftons, or Royces. If Arya marries North, then try for Edric Dayne.

Bran - Either one of the Ryswell girls, or Lyanna Mormont. The Ryswells control a lot of land, and it would help mend ties after Ned's bizarre refusal to return Barbrey's husband's bones. Lyanna is spirited and competent enough to run a keep at her age, and would be an asset for Winterfell or Moat Cailin if Ned or Robb decided to post Bran down there.

Arya - If we're shooting big, I'd try for either Trystane Martell or Edric Dayne to mend ties with Dorne. Plus Arya would be far, far happier in Dorne where she can indulge in her passions as opposed to anywhere else in Westeros. Since Arya is the second daughter, Trystane would be a perfect lateral wedding, and it's still a nice coup for the Daynes to take a Stark bride. If we're staying local, Cley Cerwyn. Similar age, close to Winterfell, and thus closer to Ned and then Robb's influence so she can have more leeway.

Rickon - Bethany Blackwood. Old house, still worship the Old Gods, and they're still a big name in the Riverlands. Plus they're very close in age, and the babies of their families.

Robb = Myrcella

Sansa = Renly

Arya = Jojeen

Bran = Beth Cassell or Jeyne Poole as Bran takes up either the role of Master-of-Arms or Steward under Robb.

Rickon = still to young

Jon = The Wall.

Robb=Asha Greyjoy, Theon is heir, she needs a good marriage, IB need to cooperate with the rest of Westeros

Theon=Jeyne Poole, a little meh for a prince, but pretty...*sniff*

Sansa=Renly given what Ned knows, (or doesn't know) i'm actually surprised this didn't happen. 

Arya=Jojen Reed, she loved the Neck, Jojen is chill, Her and Meera would be inseparable. Crannog "magic" sounds like Arya's sorta thing. Its still pretty close to WF.

Bran=Manderly daughter, his pick. Manderlys worship the Seven, Bran wants to be a knight. Relatively close to WF and the Neck. 

Jon=Myranda Royce, as good as it gets without R+L=J knowledge...both could do much worse

Robb would likely marry in the North if no better match is offered from the south.

Sansa would definitely go South, she want's to and it would be the most beneficial match, probably marry the heir to a Great Lord or at least a powerful vassal, Riverlands, Vale or Stormalnds since that's where Ned/Cat have more connections. Alternatively, she would still marry Jeof, he wouldn't be a great husband but that wasn't immediately apparent, and it would be the highest match there could be, and with his best friend's "son".

Arya, clearly a Northen lord, probably one that doesn't mind her tomboy attitude, an heir to some big castle in the North. Cerwyn comes to mind, but any similarly aged heir to a big castle would do.

Bran, I'm guessing south, he always wanted to be a knight and travel and I would expect him to do so before he came of age to marry, that would mean no pre made match, after some tourneys and adventures he would probably find a suitable and love based match down south. 

Rickon would either follow Bran's path or marry in the North, likely some heiress to whatever fortress has no male heirs so he can have his own keep, he could also join the NW if he wanted to.

Jon, whatever he wishes, he probably would never find a very good match unless he can get some fancy title or a reward marriage by doing some amazing deed, maybe join the NW as he did.

Theon, I really don' think it would be Ned's place to find him a match, but if he did it would most likely be a Northen lord, I don't see him going anywhere without Ned since he is still a ward. He would probably marry some lord's daughter from the Iron Islands in order to secure his place as heir.

Robb and Margaery would be my first idea.

Knowing as a bookreader that the Tyrells really, really want a queen and that Renly is trying to get her and Robert together, and eventually himself marrying her, it´s off the table, but it´s my first attempt.

Marrying him to a noble woman from the Vale wouldn´t be a bad idea actually in the long run. Ned already has a lot of political capital there through being raised by Jon Arryn, and having distant relatives in the Waynwoods, and having his good-sister in charge. The Vale is really close to going to war for Robb´s sake in the book, had he been already engaged to say ... Myranda Royce, it might have really pulled the Vale-lords into the war despite Lysa´s misgivings. (And forced the Freys to negotiate for something else).

If that´s not happening then maybe another woman from the Reach. House Hightower even.

Bran&Shireen makes sense politically.

Arya and a Frey is not a bad idea either if we really consider it. Her and Sweetrobin though ...

Finally Rickon and Wylla Manderly could be interesting.

Robb and Wylla Manderly.

Sansa and Harry Karstark/Brynden Blackwood.

Arya and Edric Dayne. If too far of a stretch, probably Cley Cerwyn or Benfred Tallheart.

Bran and Meera Reed.

Theon and Wynafred Manderly/Jorelle Mormont. He should have been making moves to settle Theon on Sea Dragon Point, to defend against Iron Islanders or even start building a fleet. Marrying him and Robb to sisters would be a great way to tie them together as brothers without sacrificing Sansa.

Archived