You're Ned: find some marriage betrothals for your kids

James Steller

What's poor Sansa done to deserve being shipped off to the Iron Islands with a pre-Reek doucebag like Theon? Ned didn't have much choice in accepting the Joffrey betrothal, despite his concerns about Joffrey but I kind of hope he'd at least pause a little before marrying one of his daughters into the Greyjoys ( a family that makes the Lannisters look almost well-adjusted). 

4 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

What's poor Sansa done to deserve being shipped off to the Iron Islands with a pre-Reek doucebag like Theon? Ned didn't have much choice in accepting the Joffrey betrothal, despite his concerns about Joffrey but I kind of hope he'd at least pause a little before marrying one of his daughters into the Greyjoys ( a family that makes the Lannisters look almost well-adjusted). 

Theon's douchiness was born out of sense of alienation, fear, and loneliness, with a loving foster family that tried to integrate him better, I highly doubt he would have turned into the shithead he became.

Given that it's Ned, mostly Northern marriages are more likely. I'll leave Rickon and Jon out

Robb: Wynafryd or Wylla Manderly. After my marriage to a Southron lady, my heir should marry into the North.

Sansa: If any of the kids are going to make a Southron marriage, it'll be her. I'm going to shoot for Willas Tyrell. Otherwise, Andar Royce or Patrek Mallister. Joffrey was perfect on paper, too bad he turned out to be a little shit.

Arya: If Sansa leaves the North, Arya stays. Cley Cerwyn would probably be the best match, given the fact that there seems to be no Mormont boy.

Bran: Meera Reed or Lyanna Mormont.

If I'm not planning on going to war and just want to arrange normal betrohels for allies, gold, security, etc. then.

Robb - Walda Frey - if Walder offers me her weight in gold I'm taking it. This frees up Roose for marriage and she has proved to be fertile anyway. Plus we know what happens when you are betrothed to a Frey, you fall in love like Edmure.

Sansa - Yezzan zo Qaggaz - I should be able to get an extremely nice dowry from Yezzan. Also this expands my allies to the east if i ever need them. He can supply gold and maybe soldiers if ever needed. And gives me a friend inside the slave trade if I ever need to make a quick buck.

Bran - Lysa Arryn - Need to continue the support in The Vale. With Bran not able to have children, it's ok if she isn't old enough to bear children anymore. Plus Bran wouldn't need to go anywhere to be fed and if SweetRobin gets jealous, well Bran has always wanted to "fly."

Arya- Roose Bolton - the Bolton's have always been one of the stronger houses in the North so I definetly want to sure up my support on my home region with a house that's been a long time foe. However I'm not gonna marry her to a bastard so Roose will work fine.

Rickon - Pretty Meris - Rickon needs to toughen up, to many scenes with him upset, I mean he is 3 already. Meris will certainly toughen him up and also provide a skilled fighter / "tickler" when needed.

Jon - Let him join the nights watch. If not then I guess bethroh him to the help, doesn't really matter. I guess maybe Kyra, or Beth Cassell, but really it's whatever with him.

Robb - maybe Alys Karstark, however the best would be Margaery Tyrell,but the Tyrells wouldn't agree to send their daughter to the bare North

Sansa - Joffrey, coz he is the heir and his "father" Robert was/is my best friend

Arya - Edric Dayne or Trystane Martell, one is from the family of Arthur Dayne and the other is from the ruling house of Dorne

Bran - someone from the Riverlands, so he would have the chance to become a knight (ofc before his "accident" happened)

7 hours ago, Sullen said:

Theon's douchiness was born out of sense of alienation, fear, and loneliness, with a loving foster family that tried to integrate him better, I highly doubt he would have turned into the shithead he became.

I do think that Theon's douchiness is a protective shell over deep seated insecurities and I'm not without sympathy for him but that doesn't mean I would marry my daughter to him. His attitude to woman is pretty bad and, sadly, he has to suffer terribly to develop any introspection. I don't think that the Starks treated him badly in the circumstances of him being a hostage against his father but that very circumstance was a shadow over the relationship. In any case, what we see of Balon and his brothers suggest they would be pretty scary in-law material and the 'old way' culture they endorse would make the Iron Islands a very hard place to send a gently-bred girl like Sansa. I would also be worried about her being used as a hostage in any future rebellion. In reality, I think they would have had to keep Sansa and Theon at Winterfell until Balon died.

Rob: Mera Read. I think they are of similar age and she seems like a smart sensible girl. Also Ned and Howland are sort of besties so I think  this is not so far from reason. Also she seems like the kind of person who would tell Rob not to be an idiot and kill himself in the process. He could use someone like that next to him. 

Sansa: Deffinitly someone from south. Not a northern kind of girl. I don't think Ned would activliy chase after those kind of opportunitis given his tendencies to keep his family close, but I always thought of Willas Tyrell as a good husband. I don't know why.

Arya: I totaly like the idea of Arya and Gendry, But if she would have to have a housband, def Edric Dayne. Bonus points for Catelyn wouldn't like it beacouse of Neds alleged baby moma Ashara.

Bran: Never given much thought. Probably some northern girl. Like someone said little Lyana Mormot. I think they would of been adorable. Alternativly Shereen.

Rickon: Thats a tough one. Maybe that litle baby girl Glover. Name escapes me.

Jon: Totaly some Mormont girl that is of age similar to him. He deserves a badas woman and they wouldn't make much fuss over his bastardy.

I don't think Margaery would like living in the North at all that's why I thought Myrcella was a better choice for Robb. Myrcella seems like she'd have a fine time adapting plus she already seemed to have had a bit of a crush on Robb. With her sweet nature, I have little doubt that Robb would have become fond of her. I also think that she and Sansa would have gotten along and that would have helped her adjust to life in the North. 

If Myrcella's look alike cousin Rosamund had been allowed to accompany her, I can see her eventually catching the eye of Bran or even Theon. 

• 3 months later...

For Robb 

1st choice Margaery Tyrell, this could bind the North and the Reach, it could also be useful against any war with the Lannisters.

2nd Myrcella, a royal match, no need to explain.

3rd Choice Alys Karstark, if she's not already betrothed then it could secure a powerful Northern house and counteract the effects of any matches in the south by showing he want's his heir to have a wife from the North.

4th choice Wynafryd Manderly, White Harbour has a port so is presumably rich, the also have knights which are good as heavy cavalry if by some means a war breaks out in the North, they are also loyal. Plus if her sister died then Robb's children get White Harbour.

For Sansa

If Robb doesn't marry Margaery then Willas, for the same reasons as Margaery.

If Robb marrys Margaery than a house in the North, maybe the Karstarks or Umbers and if those don't work one of the Martells, get Sansa to loosen up a bit.

For Arya

If she marrys then Robin Arryn this would secure the Vale, there's the matter of him being A her cousin, B a sickly brat who Arya would never accept marrying.

So if that doesn't work I'd go for Ned Dayne, why I don't know, but I think she would like Dorne and if that doesn't work Edric Storm, because that would annoy the Lannisters and I think it would be funny.

For Bran

Wylla Mandery, she's a little bit older than him but it should provide a good dowry. 

If not her then try Shireen Baratheon to ger a link to the royal family, or Myrcella but I can see this not working.

If all elce fails a nice Northern bride or a girl from house Royce, securing powerful allies in the Vale.

Rickon get's whoever I've got left on the list for Bran.

Jon, try to get him a match to Arrianne Martell, if her father doesn't go for it and sticks with Viserys then have Jon marry into a house in the North, maybe the Manderlys or Mormonts, if all elce fails let him choose his path, maybe persuade Robert to marry him to Myrcella just to annoy Cersei.

Robb - Roslin Frey/Asha Greyjoy

Jon - Wynafryd Manderly

Sansa - Willas Tyrell/Garlan Tyrell

Arya - Jojen Reed

Bran - Shireen Baratheon

Rickon - Walda Frey (The one that is second in line for control of house frey,duh!)

Theon(lets face it he's basically a son) - A mallister (Note,there's a pretty good chance there's a female mallister,since jason has a unnamed brother,that guy could've had kids.)

Robb - Alys Karstark to ensure internal strength in the North

Sansa - Edmure, to keep the alliance with the Tullys and a possibility could also be that Robb's and Sansa's children could be fostered together in order to build the alliance into a new generation

Jon - he's off to the Watch

Arya - don't really know but I would hopefully find someone

Bran - Either a Manderly chick or a lady from a House of lesser importance to ensure there's no ground for his children to possibly make a move against Robb's

Rickon - same as Bran when he comes of age

Theon - provide "inducements" to a House to provide a rock wife on the islands and so ensure that he has at least some allies when he takes over as lord. Or maybe this is to un-Ironman mentality that it will blow up in my face?

Robb: Alys Karstark (Manderlys follow Seven, Cat was more than enough for North).

Sansa: Joffrey (who better than son and heir of ypur your best friend who happens to he King)

Arya: Cley Cerwyn (close to Starks, Northman)

Bran: I would go with Bethany Blackwood, pleases Cat and is respected First Men house. Other option is Kingsguard. 

Rickon: Wait, a lot of other lords may have children and it isn't unusual for him to be older than his bride, so Boltons, Umbers and Manderlys are certainly best options, if not them then Glovers (there is one if I am correct), Mormonts, Tallharts,  ... 

Jon: Mya Stone? 

Now we know that Ned planned to build keeps at Gift, so Bran, Rickon and legitimised Jon can be Lords.

1 hour ago, LionoftheWest said:

Robb - Alys Karstark to ensure internal strength in the North

Sansa - Edmure, to keep the alliance with the Tullys and a possibility could also be that Robb's and Sansa's children could be fostered together in order to build the alliance into a new generation

Jon - he's off to the Watch

Arya - don't really know but I would hopefully find someone

Bran - Either a Manderly chick or a lady from a House of lesser importance to ensure there's no ground for his children to possibly make a move against Robb's

Rickon - same as Bran when he comes of age

Theon - provide "inducements" to a House to provide a rock wife on the islands and so ensure that he has at least some allies when he takes over as lord. Or maybe this is to un-Ironman mentality that it will blow up in my face?

Edmure is sansa's uncle,dude.

10 minutes ago, superninja76 said:

Edmure is sansa's uncle,dude.

True, it's a bit Targaryen over it isn't it?

How about a marriage with...Harry the Heir or Willias/Garlan? Its not like anyone will expect Robert Arryn to survive, right? So probably one of the Tyrell brothers.

Just now, LionoftheWest said:

True, it's a bit Targaryen over it isn't it?

How about a marriage with...Harry the Heir or Willias/Garlan? Its not like anyone will expect Robert Arryn to survive, right? So probably one of the Tyrell brothers.

Agreed,any person you mentioned (aside from edmure for obvious reasons) would be just spectacular for her!

It is a shame though,edmure is like,one of my favorite characters.

On 4/28/2016 at 0:44 AM, Lord Lannister said:

Am I the only one that thinks promising Sansa to Joffrey was actually a brilliant notion on paper? The only problem with Robert's scheme is he seems to have no idea how much of a psycho his "son" was.

on paper yes, but while he may not have known the full extent, Robert knew Joffrey was off so matching him with the eldest daughter of your best friend is just wrong

Robb- Margaery, Myrcella or that Karstark girl 

Bran- that Karstark or that Manderly girl. 

Rickon- either that Manderly girl or someone completely different

Arya- Domeric Bolton seems surprisingly nice, why not him?

Sansa- either Patrek Mallister or Harry the Heir, should he in fact inherit the Vale. A Tyrell is an alternative. 

20 minutes ago, AvengerofWinterfell said:

on paper yes, but while he may not have known the full extent, Robert knew Joffrey was off so matching him with the eldest daughter of your best friend is just wrong

He thought Joff could still be fixed at the time. Even Tywin thought that two years later, and he isn't exactly a philanthrope.

With a minimum of foresight and gaming. Trying to make good ideas based on what Ned knows about the matches.

I think the following are good suggestions

1. Robb - Myrcella Baratheon. Rewards the Stark main line by introducing royal blood. Puts them in line to the throne if Joffrey and Tommen's lines fail (small chance with two of them). Cements the Baratheon-Stark Alliance. Has strong ties to the West and Casterly Rock as well

Back up I'd consider Asha Greyjoy. She is unmarried and it might be useful to take her off the table for the Iron Islands or to place a grandson as LP if Theon's line fails.

2. Sansa - Theon Grejoy. This one has been brought up and argued against above. I thought about Theon - Arya, but he is already 19. Marrying Sansa and Theon allows you to install a Stark-Friendly Theon as Lord of the Iron Islands over his sister and uncles. As a Northerner I'd rather have a friendly Iron Islands as a neighbour and ally than more Southern houses. Sansa is still the wife of a Lord-Paramount, it's not like she's going to live in Squalor.

As a back up I'd consider Robert Arryn. Cousin marriage is quite common and it binds the Vale closer.

3. Bran - Shireen Baratheon. I'd send him to page/squire for Stannis. If Stannis has no heirs he might become Lord-Protector of Dragonstone. If not he might still find a spot as a knight in the King's court.

Also consider as back up the option of Kingsguard.

4. Arya - A Northern Lord's heir. Karstark. Cerwyn. Hornwood etc.  Arya is probably not going to fit in the south. In the North she can ride horses, practice arms and command her husbands men if she wants or be a proper lady. It's more flexible than the South.

Backup - Theon Greyjoy or Robert Arryn

Precedent was set by Rickard:

Marry Robb to Margaery Tyrell;

Marry Sansa to Joffrey Baratheon; (he didn't know, Robert and Ned are friends, only the reader could guess, yada yada yada)

Marry Arya to Robert Arryn;

Marry Brandon to Alys Karstark or Lyanna Mormont or Myrcella Baratheon;

Marry Rickon to the Lady Ermesande Hayford, a baby by the time of ACoK. 

Give Jon the Nightfort (Ned was discussing the possibility of settling the forts on the Wall with men he trusted), make House Jon a thing, and marry Jon to someone's second son (most likely a Mormont, there are like five girls there, maybe Alys Karstark if her father allows it, maybe a Manderly nephew/cousin, someone like that. In a hundred years or so, House Jon would be almost Karstark-like, origin-wise).

So yeah, if the wars didn't happen, those are my choices. Make the Stark name the most powerful name in the Seven Kingdoms by uniting Tyrell, Arryn, Baratheon, Tully, Stark and the Wall under one blood. AND, with Brandon, secure a marriage within the North so as not to anger the bannermen. That's my call, at least.

Archived