You're Ned: find some marriage betrothals for your kids

James Steller

On 27/04/2016 at 2:32 PM, norwaywolf123 said:

Jon - Don't need to marry, he is a bastard so he would have a harder time finding a match (Night's Watch)

Robb - Alys Karstark (Must show that they are a northern house and also gain more stability in the north)

Sansa - Andar Royce (I think she was meant to go south. Would have given the most powerful and teh second most powerfull lords in the vale to his side. As Robert Arryn is a cousin of them and House Royce is number 2 in the vale.

Bran - don't need to marry (Night's Watch)

Arya - Helman Tallhart or some other northern heir

Rickon - don't need to marry (Night's watch)

I disagree with you on such a deep, deep level, sir, that I find myself inclined to answer you. No, you do not need to ship off THREE Starks because they "don't need to marry". On your scenario, if Robb dies before fathering a son, House Stark was extinct. Good luck then.

Another options:

Robb marries inside the North (Mormont, Karstark, Manderly, his pick)

Sansa takes her grandmother's castle as the Heir to Harrenhal, and marries someone around her age (Mallister, Frey, Bracken, Blackwood, her pick)

Arya marries in the North, or Theon. (Don't give me the "she wouldn't" speech, she doesn't get a choice, nobody does, it's the middle ages, the last time someone let their children marry who they wanted  (Aegon V) their House was so weakened it went extinct 30 years later (Read TWoIaF, it's a direct relation.)

Brandon marries Myrcella Baratheon, Shireen Baratheon, a Frey of his choice, the Blackwood girl (forgot her name), or a Manderly/Mormont girl.

Rickon marries someone. Hayford, Frey, whoever is his age.

Jon marries out of love, or doesn't, and goes to the Night's Watch. At least make him wait a little (22, 23 years old) to choose. Don't let him go away at fourteen, because if Robb, Bran or Rickon die, he might come in handy.

21 minutes ago, WilliamWesterosiWallace said:

Another options:

Robb marries inside the North (Mormont, Karstark, Manderly, his pick)

Sansa takes her grandmother's castle as the Heir to Harrenhal, and marries someone around her age (Mallister, Frey, Bracken, Blackwood, her pick)

Arya marries in the North, or Theon. (Don't give me the "she wouldn't" speech, she doesn't get a choice, nobody does, it's the middle ages, the last time someone let their children marry who they wanted  (Aegon V) their House was so weakened it went extinct 30 years later (Read TWoIaF, it's a direct relation.)

Brandon marries Myrcella Baratheon, Shireen Baratheon, a Frey of his choice, the Blackwood girl (forgot her name), or a Manderly/Mormont girl.

Rickon marries someone. Hayford, Frey, whoever is his age.

Jon marries out of love, or doesn't, and goes to the Night's Watch. At least make him wait a little (22, 23 years old) to choose. Don't let him go away at fourteen, because if Robb, Bran or Rickon die, he might come in handy.

Well, more to the point, Ned wouldn't.

Robb - Certainly a bride from the North. Alys Karstark or Wynafryd Manderly would be the best bet.

Sansa - Joff was the best choice on paper actually. If not, probably a Riverlands house, maybe the heir of House Blackwood or even Mallister.

Arya - Though politically her best match would be her cousin Robin Arryn of the Vale, I'd think Ned would marry her into a Northern house. Cley Cerwyn or Jojen Reed maybe.

Bran - Probably Myrcella or Shireen Baratheon

Rickon - Lyanna Mormont 

Jon - Ned could have send him to foster at a loyal Northern house to build connections(like Lord Hornwood's bastard did at the Glovers) and if he still wished at 17/18, he could go to the NW.

Hmm... as Ned Stark setting up marriages. I would probably follow Rickard Stark's example to expand my power and influence beyond the North so here goes my attempt:

Robb Stark: Only half a Heathen. Margery Tyrell, if my son is going to be the Warden of the North he needs a suitable bride that comes with power and influence. That and their fertile lands and shipping fleet would boost the northern economy. Mace Tyrell would gladly accept since I would brow beat that ineffectual fool with his mother.

Sansa Stark: Our prized race horse, even if she is a spoiled twat and a heathen following the Seven. I would marry her off to Renly Baratheon I am fairly certain he can muster enough straightness to beget her with child. 

Bran Stark: Another heathen, wants to be a knight and be anointed with Seven oils blah, blah. I would grant him some lands in the Gift after he earned his knighthood during a fostering period and marriage with the Daynes.

Arya Stark: I need to curry favor with my vassals. She would go to Jojen Reed the heir of my good friend and loyal assassin...err I meant vassal.

Rickon Stark: I would marry him to a Manderly girl.

Jon Snow: (This assumed R+L=J is true) Finding a wife for my rightful liege...I meant bastard. Meera Reed is the obvious choice. Arya will be popping out bog devils soon enough with Jojen and her and Jon are close. I just get Bobby B. to legitimize Jon into Jon Stark talk to my BFF Howland Reed, since he obviously knows what really happened with Lyanna, grant Jon Moat Cailin and we have the Starks of Moat Cailin brilliant!

On April 27, 2016 at 0:58 PM, James Steller said:

It's just before the beginning of AGOT. You're Eddard Stark, lord of Winterfell, and you want to arrange some future marriages for your kids so that they're provided for. The Northern lords all have their marriage offers, and your wife Catelyn suggests that there are options in the Riverlands too.

Excluding Jon Snow and Rickon, find the best matches you can for your four eldest kids.

Robb to Winnie Manderly. That's a very nice northern marriage.

sansa both for strategic reasons and because she will love the southern court, The heir to highgarden that they try to set her up with before the Tyrion marriage 

arya: Edric Dayne or Trystane Martell

cripple bran: meera Reede 

Ser Bran the Uncrippled: Beth Blackwood

rickon: Roslyn Frey

bonus

Jon Snow: Lollys 

On 4/27/2016 at 11:44 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Am I the only one that thinks promising Sansa to Joffrey was actually a brilliant notion on paper? The only problem with Robert's scheme is he seems to have no idea how much of a psycho his "son" was.

No, I agree.  Marrying Sansa to Joffrey makes the most sense in the world.  Their fathers are old friends and greatly desire the match on a personal level and, of course, it's an absolute no-brainer for the Starks.  After all, Sansa's child by Joffrey would be the next in line to rule the 7 Kingdoms.

I also disagree with those who think Robb should marry someone from one of the vassal houses in the north.  That's not necessary and I believe it would be much smarter to have some combination of Arya, Bran, and Rickon marry northern houses to stabilize/strengthen alliances in the north, etc.  No, Robb will be Lord Paramount and Warden of the North.  He should marry the daughter of one of the other Lords Paramount to secure an important alliance outside the north.  Margaery Tyrell would do nicely I think (but Arrianne Martell would be intriguing as well).

ETA: Thinking about it, unfortunately, what probably makes the most sense politically would be Arya married to Domeric Bolton and Bran married to Wylla Manderly.  That would solidify relations between Winterfell and their two most powerful vassals.  That leaves Rickon and Jon.  Rickon?  I don't know...Lyanna Mormont, maybe?  Rickon would, logically, be more free to make his own match (most likely with another, lesser northern House) than any of his siblings simply by virtue of being so far down the line of succession).  Finally, Jon would either take the black or, since he and Robb had a very good relationship, he would probably be given a small holding to be a vassal of his "half-brother".  Another possibility for Jon would be to take some position in Winterfell such as Master of Arms, Stablemaster, etc.:dunno:   

Robb- Margeary Tyrell.

Sansa- Joffery unfortunately but still politically genius. 

Arya - Dorne, Quentyn Martell. 

Bran- one of the Manderely girls.

I know you excluded them but I can't help but speculate. 

Jon - I think one of the Mormont girls. The Mormonts claims will still be in the hands of the females but it would give them family ties to house Stark. 

Rickon - probably House Royce or Waynewood. If Harry the heir married the merchant girl and had a legitimate daughter, that daughter would have rights to the Eyrie. 

Theon - Blackwood girl

why should Robb have to marry someone of the North. That's part of the problems with the seven kingdoms. There's not enough marriages outside of the various realms. 

While yes intermarriages between different kingdoms down the road may cause problems with succesion if one of the male lines dies out but other than that it could open alot of doors and lead to more understanding between the various houses. 

I'd marry Rob to a lady of the West. Lady Alyanne Leffold. Was her father's heir even before the war. Would present a fat dowary and the entrance point to the West. Nice bargining chip if the lannisters ever got out of hand. I mean the Golden Tooth is the major entrance point and with Robb having Tully blood if war were to break out it gives them a huge advantage. Riverrun provides a fallback positon and the Golden Tooth an entrance point. While Tywin might not like having a Stark/Leffold marriage there isn't much he can do about it. While any second sons they might have would inherit the Western lands and the first son could take Winterfell.

Sansa would be wed to either a Frey or Mallister. House Frey because the Twins can be used to guard against any army coming into the Neck or act as refuge for any army coming down from the north into the Riverlands. IT's a matter of logistics and way to hinder any army trying to attack the north. While house Mallister can be used to help safe guard against the Iron born and help possibliy with shipping goods to the eastern side of the eastern side of the North. Also with this betrothal in place its kinds throws a kink in Robert offering Joffery's hand in marriage to Sansa and all the horrible stuff that would later happen to her. Also this would circumvient Frey's marriage alliance with Robb and also gives him access to the twins without having to sell his soul to Walder Frey.

Ayra is a little tricky. I'm definitely thinking somewhere in the south possibliy house Yronwod. As the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I would want to apply pressure to Doran Martell. Letting him feel the long arm reach of house Stark. While think about giving my daughter the freedom that a house of Dorne could provide. Yet there is also Oldtown and house Hightower to consider. With house Hightower and the wealth, swords and ships at their hands isn't to be discounted. Not to mention that it might split and take away from the army of the Reach if there ever was a war in the future. As the Hightowers are the most power house outside of the Tyrells, it might make the Tyrells think twice before they wage war on the wrong side of house Stark if 1/3 of their army is on the other side of the battle field.

I would definetly send Bran to be fostered with Doran Martell. I know I know but here is my reasoning for the fostering of Bran with Doran. One I would want him to get an outside prespective from that of North. Also I would want Doran to know that I trust him with my family even after all the nastines of Elia and her children. I would also want him to know that I don't view him as an enemy but if war where to break out that I haven't placed all my eggs in the friendship between Martell and Stark. Yet where to wed Bran well he does want to be in the KG. THose positions are as much political as well as based upon skill. My best friend is the King and well in part owes his positon to me and my families down fall. So I think that Robert could do me a solid and get the boy in the KG if asked nicely.

That leaves Rickon and Jon Snow. As I haven't touched the Crownlands, Reach, Vale or Stormlands for an allience I would look there. But as I've promised my son to Robert with the KG that's as good as a marriage allience with the Stormlands and Crownlands. As a member of the KG Bran would have influence at court so that's shoring up my ties there so it's best to look to the Reach and Vale for Rickon and Jon. 

Rickon could be wed into house beebury. Strong ties to the Tyrells, small house where Rickon could be of some use while also have eyes and ears into the schemes of house Tyrell without being looked at as a threat. Might also give the lad some polishing around the edges as he sorely needs them like this older sister Ayra. Also get him out of the North so there would be no question of which son of mine that would inherit Winterfell when I'm dead and interred. 

Which leaves my last and bastard son. I would not send him to the Wall. He is a son of winterfell and Robert is my best friend I have done alot for him and well the North is huge. I am sure that I could find some lands for this bastard son of mine along with a Vale daughter to wed him. The lords of the Vale watched me grew up and become a man. They respect me because of the War with the Targaryens. Not to mention Jon Arryn is my brother-in-law/ foster father if anyone could speak on my son's behalf with the lords of the Vale it should and could be the overlord of the Vale itself. I have proven that I can lead men in war, that I can rule when I wasn't even suppose to inherit the North. So this son of mine should be able to get a respectible girl from the Vale to wed him. My top choice would be Myranda Royce. The Royces have provided brides for house Stark in the past, they still worship the old gods, have ties to the Arryns as their chief rivals for control of the Vale. Not to mention this means that the Royce bride would be the mother to a new noble house in the North which is a huge honor, even it's through the marriage to a bastard.

On 4/29/2016 at 10:33 AM, The Dames do Moan said:

Except Ned did betrothe Sansa to Joffrey knowing Joff was terrible and would prob end up abusing her. So Ned clearly had Southern ambitions too. Bran becomes LP in this scenario and he obviously keeps the name Stark.

Like you said, using hindsight, we know Ned was willing to sacrifice his kids if it meant getting closer to the throne. I mean his sister in law killed his "father figure" and he became hand. 

So he can have Robb "give up" the Stark name for the war, knowing that the plan after the war is to kill Stannis and after Shireen is sworn in (as Stannis had named her heir) have Robb, Shireen and offspring take the name back.

NO ned didn't know that Joffery would abuse his daughter. He didn't like the little shit.  He didn't know that Lysa killed her husband either. He thought that someone in the Vale had a hand in this. We the book readers don't learn of this until Sansa learns about it from Lysa herself when she was having a breakdown.

There is no way in the seven hells that Ned would willingly let Robb give up his Stark name. It's just not going to happen. It would piss his bannermen off as well. They would wonder what is wrong with the Stark name that has endured for 8000 years. They would think that Ned had taken leave of his senses. The north prides itself on being apart from the other kingdoms. They are a world apart from the rest of the kingdoms in everything from Religion, way of life, socially and culturely. They don't even have many northern knights!!

Other than supporting the Targs because the alliance made by Joffery Targ before that the North kept out of southron affairs. After that the North only was called upon when they there was a war. Up until Rickard Stark and his southron alliance scheme the North had very little to do with Southron affairs and politics. I think that part of the reason for Rickard and his schemes to wed his family into the south was for the north to be taken more seriously by the other great houses and to be seen as the power house that the Stark are but even in his schemes he was to wed Brandon to the Tullys he was keeping his Stark name and Lyanna would have taken her husbands name and possibly been made into queen. So yeah there is a huge difference there. He was striving for greater influence but still keeping the Stark name alive

Robb Stark :Margaery Tyrell makes the most sense as it 1) joins two great houses & 2) gives Ned and the North political capital from its southern border down through the Riverlands, & Vale into the Reach.  That said, as Renly and Loras were already plotting to get her hitched to Robert in the first book Im not sure its possible.

Arrianne Martell- similar situation as Margaery (dornish master plan) further complicated by the fact that due to Dornish Law she's the heir to Dorne and likely wouldnt be married off to another house

Alys Karstark- the most likely choice as it strengthens relations with the Northern Houses both by marrying one of them into a great house, and by decreasing the influence of the Seven at Winterfell which arrived with Catelyn.

Wynafryd Manderly- The marriage I likely wouldve chosen.  While it would continue the presence of the Seven at WF initiated by Cat, I still get the benefit of strengthening ties to Norther Houses with the bonus of a larger dowry seeing as the Manderlys are the North's wealthiest house.

Jon Snow:  Mya Stone, insignificant in that it marries bastard to bastard, but its gives Robert the tie to Ned as family he's always desired (or so he would think).  Possible Ned could find a keep or lands somewhere in the vast north to give them.  Personally I wouldve given him a parcel of land  that included Moat Cailin and charged him with its upkeep, improvement, and defense.

Sand Snakes- I thought about it but Nymeria is a fair bit older than Jon and while Ellia is a possible choice I doubt Oberyn would sign off on it. 

If any of the Mountain clans have a daughter of the proper age Im sure they would jump at the chance to marry one of The Ned's sons*, even a bastard one. 

To be fair Im not sure if Ned would consider marrying Jon at all assuming R+L=J which I subscribe to. That of course begs the question of what to do with him.  Have to assume Ned intended to tell Jon at some point even if it was on his deathbead (had he not ridden to KL).

Sansa Stark:    Wilas Tyrell- Age aside this is likely the best match for her.  She goes south which she wants, the Reach as a region suits her character early in the story, and as an added though unknown bonus she gets to learn from Olenna. I dont see anyone from one of the Great Houses that matches up with her as Edmure is and Uncle and Lancel isnt the son of the head of House Lannister.

Arya Stark: Edric Dayne- She's a second daughter and he's the Lord of one of Dorne's most respected houses.

Cley Cerwyn is another strong possibility

Bran Stark: Either Gwyneth Yronwood (likely a hefty dowry) or Eddara Tallhart (appeases northern lords).  Also Wylla Manderly if Ned didnt already marry that house to Robb

I am going to be looking for someone high-ranking, and for the girls, preferably a lord or heir.  For the boys, someone major.

Sansa - Joffrey is a good choice in theory.  And even in practice there might be opportunity to tone down his nastiness.  If Joffrey doesn't work out (Margaery could also be a choice for him. for example), I would consider Robert Arryn, the son of my good friend Jon Arryn.  He would probably need to be pried loose from his mother, though, probably by being fostered at Winterfell.

Arya - Robert Arryn if Sansa marries Joffrey.  Otherwise, Tommen is a good choice.  It connects the two families, and Tommen is pretty nice.  I can easily see Arya getting along with him.  

Robb - Margaery if she is willing to move to Winterfell and isn't married to Joffrey.  Otherwise, I would probably go with a Manderly.

Bran - Possibly Shireen.  If that is too many Baratheons, then maybe one of the Mormont girls.  You probably would want one son to marry North, and one South.  

Rickon will have to wait.  

Jon is probably headed for the Wall for a variety of reasons.  Catelyn's hostility;  his own interest; his Targaryen heritage (it keeps him out of politics); and traditionally, it appears as if one Stark from each generation goes, often the third son (which would mean Rickon).  So NIght's Watch for Jon.

Ned seemed pretty old-school as far as his relations with other lands. So he likely would stay in the North, however even without the Handship I feel that Robert would want to unite their houses with a marriage. Everyone else would likely stay North.

Jon- Bastard, not a true Stark. I'd bet he would go to a house who doesn't necessarily need the Stark name but would be honored by the relation. Mormont, since they seem to be lacking in men and are pretty Stark loyal. They might just ditch the Snow surname and make Jon's kids Mormonts. 

Robb- Heir to Winterfell, he needs a meaningful marriage that will unite the North. Perhaps a Manderly.

Sansa- I believe she was doomed to be with Joff even in this scenario. She doesn't look particularly Starkish anyway so I doubt many Northern lords would be remiss. Baratheon she is.

Arya- Very likely a Northern marriage, as she is so Stark looking and Robert's already gotten his family unity. Perhaps Smalljon or Patrek Mallister.

Bran- He seemed eager to become a knight, however I see no reason this would mean he has to go south. He has Ser Rodrik to train him, and at that Rodrik has a daughter. Beth Cassel and Bran should be close, as she was raised with them at Winterfell. 

Rickon is pretty young but he could be a match with the Manderly's again if Robb doesn't do so. 

Sansa marrying Theon gets some flak here

Comments about her not deserving it or her being shipped offer to suffer in the Iron Islands. That's unfair. Theon as LP would be one of the 10 most powerful men in the Kingdom. He'd have the wealth being Lord-Paramount entails. Sure it's not like the West or the Reach. But it's not some backward wooden keep (like Jorah Mormont/Lynesse Hightower).

Just because Balon lived austerely doesn't mean that Theon and Sansa have to. Sansa could have luxurious appartments, with hand maids, ladies-in-waiting, septas, maesters etc. Heck Theon could even build more stable bridges of wood instead of rope between keeps.

Theon would probably be unfaithful but he certainly wouldn't be sadistic or cruel like Joffrey. 

14 minutes ago, GallowsKnight said:

Sansa marrying Theon gets some flak here

Comments about her not deserving it or her being shipped offer to suffer in the Iron Islands. That's unfair. Theon as LP would be one of the 10 most powerful men in the Kingdom. He'd have the wealth being Lord-Paramount entails. Sure it's not like the West or the Reach. But it's not some backward wooden keep (like Jorah Mormont/Lynesse Hightower).

Just because Balon lived austerely doesn't mean that Theon and Sansa have to. Sansa could have luxurious appartments, with hand maids, ladies-in-waiting, septas, maesters etc. Heck Theon could even build more stable bridges of wood instead of rope between keeps.

Theon would probably be unfaithful but he certainly wouldn't be sadistic or cruel like Joffrey. 

Under Balon, the Iron Islands seems like a pretty horrible culture and even more misogynistic that the rest of Westeros and certainly far removed from the Southron life Sansa dreams of. The Greyjoy family is probably even more dysfunctional than the Lannisters (if that's possible). It might have been different if Quellon's reforms had stuck and the Iron Islands had become closer to rest of Westeros. In any case, Sansa married to Theon could be in a pretty similar situation to her misery in KL if Balon decides to rebel again. Ned is not going to send his daughter to a place where she would be a potential hostage.

I have some sympathy with Theon but pre-Ramsey Theon is a real douche where women are concerned.

1 minute ago, Wall Flower said:

Under Balon, the Iron Islands seems like a pretty horrible culture and even more misogynistic that the rest of Westeros and certainly far removed from the Southron life Sansa dreams of. The Greyjoy family is probably even more dysfunctional than the Lannisters (if that's possible). It might have been different if Quellon's reforms had stuck and the Iron Islands had become closer to rest of Westeros. In any case, Sansa married to Theon could be in a pretty similar situation to her misery in KL if Balon decides to rebel again. Ned is not going to send his daughter to a place where she would be a potential hostage.

I have some sympathy with Theon but pre-Ramsey Theon is a real douche where women are concerned.

To clarify I don't think Ned would ever send Sansa to live under Balon. I think he'd wait until Balon died and then install Theon and Sansa. With a retinue of Northern soldiers, servants and miscellaneous loyal to the pair. So Theon would be in charge, and Sansa the Lady of the house. Quellon's reforms show that it's possible for the Iron Islands to civilize, it's just Balon was a radical.

There's no reason for Euron, Asha, Victarion or Aeron to have any part in Theon's kingdom or household unless he wants them either. 

I don't think Theon would ever order anyone to beat Sansa, or point a crossbow at her or any of the extremely messed up things that happened in Kingslanding. Theon would certainly have mistresses but that's not a uncommon Westerosi situation. 

As I said. With Theon raised to Northern customs, a Northern court in Pyke and Sansa able to upgrade and decorate Pyke to make it comfortable, she would have a very comfortable if not as glamorous life (as say Kingslanding or Highgarden).

58 minutes ago, GallowsKnight said:

To clarify I don't think Ned would ever send Sansa to live under Balon. I think he'd wait until Balon died and then install Theon and Sansa. With a retinue of Northern soldiers, servants and miscellaneous loyal to the pair. So Theon would be in charge, and Sansa the Lady of the house. Quellon's reforms show that it's possible for the Iron Islands to civilize, it's just Balon was a radical.

There's no reason for Euron, Asha, Victarion or Aeron to have any part in Theon's kingdom or household unless he wants them either. 

I don't think Theon would ever order anyone to beat Sansa, or point a crossbow at her or any of the extremely messed up things that happened in Kingslanding. Theon would certainly have mistresses but that's not a uncommon Westerosi situation. 

As I said. With Theon raised to Northern customs, a Northern court in Pyke and Sansa able to upgrade and decorate Pyke to make it comfortable, she would have a very comfortable if not as glamorous life (as say Kingslanding or Highgarden).

Vic is the admiral of the Iron fleet. There is no way that one can remove him from power seeing as the captains of the iron fleet are loyal to him and those that aren't loyal to him are loyal to Asha. They would have to be apart of Theon's court if he hopes to be an effective ruler. OR Theon could go your route and remove them and have revolt on his hands. Then there is the Aeron whom holds salvation in the form of being the major priest of the drowned god. Sry can't remove him unless he wants to alienate his lords and small folk by being seen even more as a greenland lover than he already been seen as with Sansa as his bride. There is no way that the lords of the Iron Isles are going to be happy about having the Lord and master married to Sansa Stark whose father helped smash their independence and turned their lord into one of them by having Theon a captive for 10 years. Not to mention building a sept to the 7 is a really bad idea. There was another Greyjoy that had the 7 on the isles until the religion was banished because of it's unpopular practices went against that of the Drowned god. Once again I'm sorry but this marriage for political reasons is just asking for more trouble than Theon has the skill or patience to navigate having been away for the isles for so many years. He has forgotten as much as he remembered. Just think about he example of Theon and the golden chain that his father snatched for his collar. He had forgotten about paying the iron price. 

This is just a really really really bad idea for both parties. Theon would have to spend the first part of his rule trying to gain the respect of his fellow lords and small folks and prove that he's not an outsider. Meaning a more ideal wife for Theon is not a Stark that is as foreign a bride as Theon could get. Wrong religion, bad blood and just bad politics. No amount of time would make Sansa any less foreign in the eyes of the lord of the isles especially if she choose to keep her faith and make the court more Greenland.

26 minutes ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

This is just a really really really bad idea for both parties. Theon would have to spend the first part of his rule trying to gain the respect of his fellow lords and small folks and prove that he's not an outsider.

Yup. And doing so with a

1 hour ago, GallowsKnight said:

a retinue of Northern soldiers, servants and miscellaneous loyal to the pair.

sounds like asking for trouble. Many of the Ironborn would give their loyalty to the actual Greyjoy, especially if Theon was to choose to do this

1 hour ago, GallowsKnight said:

and force them to rebel.

Archived