What about Ghost? [SPOILERS]

Lord Xhyb

So hey guys, I'm new here and I joined because of one doubt that just couldn't let me sleep:

In the books (although I have only read through the first 3) and in GoT, it is specifically stated that Ghost is mute. So then, how come in The Red Woman we can HEAR him howling before Davos finds Jon dead, and then growling when Ser Allister comes knocking to the door? Am I missing something in the next books? Or is that a really big detail that they put there on purpose? 

When he took the role it was on the condition that he gets some lines thrown in each season, so every season so far per contractual arrangements we get some sort of noise/dialogue from him. The show runners don't want to throw away good money without getting some sort of return from it I guess.

It would have been very weird for Ghost to be mute in the show. It works in the books but glad he's actually responding. Nice touch with them as Ghost started to howl after his death and it had that emotional punch to Jon's fate. If he howled during the stabbing, it would alert some of the loyalists.

I think it's just a change the show made. However, it's not clear whether Ghost can't make noise or won't make noise in the book. There's a difference.I thought it was a great touch to have Ghost start howling when Jon died in the show and think it would be a nice touch in the book. Could signify 

Spoiler

jon warging into Ghost 

5 hours ago, Maxxine said:

I think it's just a change the show made. However, it's not clear whether Ghost can't make noise or won't make noise in the book. There's a difference.I thought it was a great touch to have Ghost start howling when Jon died in the show and think it would be a nice touch in the book. Could signify 

Hide contents

jon warging into Ghost 

I actually think that's what happened, or at least that is what my theory is, I really don't think he died that easy

11 hours ago, Maxxine said:

Reveal hidden contents

jon warging into Ghost 

Ghost has been making sounds in the show since the beginning so I don't think so. But I couldn't help to wonder the same as you when Ghost howled because of Jon's wolf dream from Clash.  

There were five of them when there should have been six, and they were scattered, each apart from the others. He felt a deep ache of emptiness, a sense of incompleteness. The forest was vast and cold, and they were so small, so lost. His brothers were out there somewhere, and his sister, but he had lost their scent. He sat on his haunches and lifted his head to the darkening sky, and his cry echoed through the forest, a long lonely mournful sound. As it died away, he pricked up his ears, listening for an answer, but the only sound was the sigh of blowing snow.

Archived