THE PUNISHER now a Netflix series

Werthead

Greenlit earlier today.

Unsurprising, really. Jon Bernthal will reprise the role from Daredevil and Hannibal writer-producer Steve Lightfoot will be the showrunner. Based on Netflix's production schedule I would be surprised if we saw this before late 2017 or early 2018, but there's a chance Frank will show up (at least briefly) in The Defenders before then.

Great news. I'd rather see this than season 3 of Daredevil. Bernthal deserves a shot at his own show. I think they have to do Defenders first and probably Jessicca Jones is next in line.

Thank god!! 

Was reading the AV Club review of the last season of Daredevil, they gave the penultimate episode a D+ which is possibly the lowest I've seen for the series. Have to say I agree. Punisher was the one thing propping up that show by the end and when they sidelined his storyline the quality simply wasn't there. 

Not very excited about this. Bernthal was very good in the role, but I don't want to see an entire series focused on the character. I much prefer him as an antagonist/supporting character.

Oh well, I'll almost certainly watch it anyway.

1 hour ago, Jon AS said:

Not very excited about this. Bernthal was very good in the role, but I don't want to see an entire series focused on the character. I much prefer him as an antagonist/supporting character.

Oh well, I'll almost certainly watch it anyway.

I used to think that about the character but Garth Ennis changed my mind. They should certainly look at his run for inspiration - well maybe not the initial ones as they were more comedy bent.

Even though there was never any indication that he was interested in, available for or asked about the role, I can't help but be disappointed that the showrunner isn't Gareth Evans.

Still, a guy who was involved in Hannibal should have decent taste. Ooooh, he co-wrote Mizumono. If any episode of Punisher comes even close to that we're in good shape.

Yeah I'm curious how they do Frank Castle in a protagonist role. I'm definitely excited for this because Castle, along with Fisk, was far more interesting in the second half of the season than the Hand.. but on his own? Not sure. His supporting characters, like Karen, are probably going to be important if they delve into his past some more. 

They've been talking about him getting a series for some time now.. so I'm curious if they settled on a main villain by now.

ETA: They could probably re-do Jigsaw successfully considering they way they've done Elektra and Kingpin. Deadpool would be an awesome addition but that's unlikely due to Fox.

Interesting... Netflix corner of MCTVU is getting more and more crowded. Will be interesting to see how this works. I would like to see shorter seasons from now on, not surpassing 10. I think everyone would benefit from that.

I'm more bewildered by the fact that from the sound of it they're going to have Daredevil and Jessica Jones and Iron First and now the Punisher as well all operating in Hell's Kitchen. Luke Cage is going to be in Harlem, so at least he is somewhere else.

When I visited NYC for Comic-Con 2014, my hotel was apparently at the opposite north end of Hell's Kitchen to the convention centre. It was like a 10-12 minute walk max to get there. Looking at the map of the city, Hell's Kitchen is pretty small. Am I missing something or does the term actually apply to a much bigger stretch of the city than it appears? Because I can't see how you'd have four superheroes operating in that area without running into each other every night. It does explain how they seem to get to wherever the trouble is in the kitchen in just a few minutes though.

I'm disappointed to hear this.  Jon Bernthal's Punisher was amazing.  One of my favorite comic book show characters and I was eager to see him pop up here and there in the other shows.  Something about the Punisher getting his own series seems like it will cheapen the impact of the character.  Oversaturation, I suppose.  Boo.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm more bewildered by the fact that from the sound of it they're going to have Daredevil and Jessica Jones and Iron First and now the Punisher as well all operating in Hell's Kitchen. Luke Cage is going to be in Harlem, so at least he is somewhere else.

When I visited NYC for Comic-Con 2014, my hotel was apparently at the opposite north end of Hell's Kitchen to the convention centre. It was like a 10-12 minute walk max to get there. Looking at the map of the city, Hell's Kitchen is pretty small. Am I missing something or does the term actually apply to a much bigger stretch of the city than it appears? Because I can't see how you'd have four superheroes operating in that area without running into each other every night. It does explain how they seem to get to wherever the trouble is in the kitchen in just a few minutes though.

Nope,  they portray Hell Kitchen as if it were half of Manhattan and a bits of Long Island City and Greenpoint/Williamsburg as well. It's small,  and now gentrified, but used to be super seedy. Taxi Driver seedy,  and so on. 

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Interesting... Netflix corner of MCTVU is getting more and more crowded. Will be interesting to see how this works. I would like to see shorter seasons from now on, not surpassing 10. I think everyone would benefit from that.

Agreed. DD limped to 13 episodes and I don't see how it will be any different for this.

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Why does it have to be set in New York. 

Frank should go to LA or New Orleans somewhere new and different. I'm tired of the Marvel characters settings in New York. With all the heroes in NY you would think its the safest city in the world. 

I do agree the New York theme (and Hell's Kitchen in general) is a bit much to take. I guess they're saving the rest of Manhattan to be paroled by Spiderman? 

As for it being the safest city.. the MCU version of Earth and NYC in particularly is the most dangerous society ever. Outside of planet conquering-aliens, dictator gods, robot armies and still-active and technologically advanced Nazi organizations, every law enforcement, prison and government official is somehow corrupt (including the Vice President who actively aides domestic terrorists). I think superheroes are outmatched here.

Archived