THE PUNISHER now a Netflix series

Werthead

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I really hope that Disney actually does some shows with a darker tone than their movies, but unfortunately, that is very unlikely to happen.

Agreed... the irony is that with Netflix, we actually got a kinder, gentler Punisher....lol ... My biggest hope is that whomever is in charge of the streaming site is aware of the bad press they'll get from "Disneyfying"  the street level heroes... nerds like us will freak TF out.

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Agreed... the irony is that with Netflix, we actually got a kinder, gentler Punisher....lol ... My biggest hope is that whomever is in charge of the streaming site is aware of the bad press they'll get from "Disneyfying"  the street level heroes... nerds like us will freak TF out.

I don't think we really got a kinder, gentler Punisher.  It's just when you make a TV show you don't immediately have him go from family man to remorseless murderer.  I assume that, when they made season two, they had no reason to assume it was the last season, and so they made it assuming they could potentially make more episodes.  Thus, no reason to have Frank be at the end of his path in season two, and so we see him still trying to make human connections.  I'm sure one message he'd take away from this season is that, given what he does and what happened to the bartender he met in episode one, making connections is a liability.  

But those are the types of slow burn developments that work well in a TV series that a movie has to just fast-forward through. 

As has been mentioned in the Daredevil thread, about the only hope for these shows to stay as they are is for Disney to put them on Hulu. Of course, the immediate problem with that is the original Marvel/Netflix deal was that if they leave Netflix they can't reappear except after 2 years. But there may be some negotiating going down over that currently. The outcry over Daredevil's cancellation was strong enough, I think, to warrant some attempts.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

As has been mentioned in the Daredevil thread, about the only hope for these shows to stay as they are is for Disney to put them on Hulu. Of course, the immediate problem with that is the original Marvel/Netflix deal was that if they leave Netflix they can't reappear except after 2 years. But there may be some negotiating going down over that currently. The outcry over Daredevil's cancellation was strong enough, I think, to warrant some attempts.

I could conceivably see Disney adding a more adult-oriented "channel" to their streaming service.  One that's included with the regular service but also separate.  I think it would be good for them to make such a service, as it would give them a broader appeal and also give them more creative freedom with some of the many properties they now own.

The finale wasn’t my favorite episode of the season, but they get major points from me for using Rooster by AIC. Another perfect music  choice. Good season overall. I’m gonna really miss Bernthal as the Punisher when this inevitably gets cancelled. He did an amazing job bringing the character to life. 

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The finale wasn’t my favorite episode of the season, but they get major points from me for using Rooster by AIC. Another perfect music  choice. Good season overall. I’m gonna really miss Bernthal as the Punisher when this inevitably gets cancelled. He did an amazing job bringing the character to life. 

It does suck watching something you know is going to be cancelled regardless of viewership or quality. I'll pettily binge the show when I'm back from holiday so they can stick that "positive" metric where the sun Don't shine. I suspect the metrics fir this show is that if someone hasn't watched the whole show within 6 hours of release, it's not a buzz show. Because the really great shows require you to fast forward through chunks of the show. 

A week since I started S2 and I'm only 8 episodes in. So much meandering and meh--sadly it's what you kinda expect of the MARVEL Netflix shows. It's not Iron Fist SI level bad, more like Jessica Jones S2 level uneven and boring. (No one cares this much about Russo and his messed up shrink. We came to see the Punisher!) Speaking of which, Frank doesn't put on the skull vest until the end of E7. Also, I'm four minutes in to E9 and Frank has just realized what he should've understood since S1E1. It's frustrating because Bernthal showed us all in DDS2 he was made for the role,of Punisher, but the writing and direction of his own damn series makes me struggle to even care. I hope the series picks up in the third act, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have to say, I'm only 1 episode in and I can't believe how boring it is. 

I never thought it would happen but I have had to fast forward through most of the episode because it was making me fall asleep. Why do I want to watch 20 minutes of Frank in bed with some girl he met in a bar , why would that be interesting for someone who came to watch the Punisher. 

Plus the action was actually weak. I found it to be a bit silly, all the moves were telegraphed massively, like when you watch two people preparing to practice a wrestling match. The direction of the action wasn't great either, nowhere near DD quality (although probably better than S1 Iron fist thank god)

I'm doubting that I will continue past that one solitary episode right now.

Finished watching this. As others said, the usual "too long" issue -- you could pretty neatly excise episodes 4-7 and hardly miss anything. Berenthal was, as always, remarkably good, and Ben Barnes really threw himself into the messed up Billy Russo/Jigsaw part. Supporting cast was fine as well, really. But the separate threads between Pilgrim/the Schultzs and Russo were, weirdly, kept too separated in a way that felt inorganic to me.

Re: action, the Daredevil fight crew is simply a cut above everyone else. The fights here were fine by me, but they didn't really try anything ambitious. I wouldn't call it weak, just kind of standard. But absolutely not as poor as S1 of Iron Fist, where they were in such a rush that there was hardly any time for rehearsal of the choreography -- they clearly did have time, they just didn't really push boundaries.

I'm okay with this ending basically being the end of the Punisher story on Netflix. 

Finished it at last. I agree with those who claim the Russo and Schultzes threads were too separate, but overall I did enjoy it.

Spoiler

As for the finale, I kinda liked resolving the John Pilgrim and Shultzes thread, but Billy Russo was really crap. He should have just die in that dumpster, it would be way more symbolic and so much less obvious and cliche.

Finished it.  Overall, it was fun.  Not as good as Daredevil S3, but solid.  

Spoiler

I thought there would be more interaction between the two stories based on the trailer, and I thought they missed a lot of great opportunities for crossover.  Like, when Frank had the bounty on his head, you'd think that Jigsaw and his goons would be trying to draw out Frank to collect it.  I assumed all their robberies would be designed to bring Frank into the open, but instead they were just robbing banks for the cash.  Felt a little weak.  

The trailer also seemed to imply that Pilgrim and Jigsaw would be working together and then that...just didn't happen.  Like at all.  Would have made for a far more cohesive season if they tied the two stories together in that manner.  I wasn't a fan of how Jigsaw went out either.  He only interacted with Frank like two times the entire season, and they never even had a proper fight, and then Frank just walks up and puts two bullets in him and that's that.  I did like Frank just shooting him while he was pleading, but other than that it was a pretty weak end for one of the three main characters on the show.

Was nice to see Karen Page show up for a bit too, even if she didn't do shit.  

Much like with Luke Cage, it really sucks that this show is gonna get canceled right when it was getting most interesting, with Frank finally going full Punisher in the final scene.  

• 3 weeks later...

Recently finished this.

I liked it but I do agree with many of the criticisms.

Spoiler

I'd add that I didn't feel they portrayed Krista's character arc quite right. Her transition to being in love with Billy and okay with the terrible things he was doing seemed to come out of nowhere (or indeed from a sex scene that felt pretty rapey). I found the arc troubling at best and I just didn't buy it.

The acting gets the highest accolade. Bernthal and Barnes are outstanding.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:16 PM, Ran said:

Re: action, the Daredevil fight crew is simply a cut above everyone else. The fights here were fine by me, but they didn't really try anything ambitious. I wouldn't call it weak, just kind of standard. But absolutely not as poor as S1 of Iron Fist, where they were in such a rush that there was hardly any time for rehearsal of the choreography -- they clearly did have time, they just didn't really push boundaries.

I'm okay with this ending basically being the end of the Punisher story on Netflix. 

I am ok with the Punisher fight scenes not being better than DD. DD doesn't kill or use guns so his character had better have great fighting skills / scenes or what else doe he have? The Punisher on the other hand, well, punishes and kills, so I expect less fights and more shoot outs. Now if the fights were cheesy then yeah.

Over all I liked the season, probably same gripes as everyone else, expecting the two plot lines to cross and they never did, the psychological job on Frank done too quickly etc.. I do differ on the one ending

Spoiler

When he walked into the basement and Russo was laying there bleeding and wanting to talk, and he's is just like, fuck you and kills him, to me, that is exactly what The Punisher would do. Fuck you, bam!

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

I am ok with the Punisher fight scenes not being better than DD. DD doesn't kill or use guns so his character had better have great fighting skills / scenes or what else doe he have? The Punisher on the other hand, well, punishes and kills, so I expect less fights and more shoot outs. Now if the fights were cheesy then yeah.

Over all I liked the season, probably same gripes as everyone else, expecting the two plot lines to cross and they never did, the psychological job on Frank done too quickly etc.. I do differ on the one ending

Reveal hidden contents

When he walked into the basement and Russo was laying there bleeding and wanting to talk, and he's is just like, fuck you and kills him, to me, that is exactly what The Punisher would do. Fuck you, bam!

it's certainly more of an issue when a master of martial arts and chosen warrior has weaker fight scenes than Daredevil but Castle, Jones and Cage are all more in the brawler/rely on my super power side of fighting. As an ex soldier you still expect Frank to be handy in close combat too but I'm not expecting backflips and roundhouse kicks.

Looks like Netflix are giving the show an entire month before making the cancellation official.

The issue I’ve found with the Punisher fights is not that they are not elaborate or skilful enough, it’s that the camera work and direction is quite poor and leads to you noticing the rehearsed nature of the fighting rather than hiding it. There is so much you can do with the camera to enhance the power and ‘thwacks’ in fights but I felt that Punisher felt a little amateurish in that regards.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The ax has come down. And they've decided to stop the charade and just let everyone know that JJ's upcoming season 3 is its final season as well. 

At least they are being upfront now and admitting it's a souring of the relationship and not really anything else at play. Interesting how the marvel statement made a point of saying it was Netflix not wanting to work with marvel any more. Also interesting how hulu has been strongly putting it out there that they'd be more than happy to have these shows. I don't think it will happen unless we get a much more sanitized version of the shows.

Archived