Atwood's 'The Handmaid’s Tale' on Hulu

AncalagonTheBlack

So glad Channel 4 got the rights to show this over here. First two episodes have been well worth the watch. It makes me feel uncomfortable and disturbed, as it no doubt is intended to. I haven't actually read the book so I don't know what to expect but it's very good so far (good seems like such a bad choice of word to describe this show but I hope you all understand what I mean). Love Elizabeth Moss as Offred.

8 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So glad Channel 4 got the rights to show this over here. First two episodes have been well worth the watch. It makes me feel uncomfortable and disturbed, as it no doubt is intended to. I haven't actually read the book so I don't know what to expect but it's very good so far (good seems like such a bad choice of word to describe this show but I hope you all understand what I mean). Love Elizabeth Moss as Offred.

That's how I feel when I describe this show.  Like, it's wretched and makes me want to puke the entire time, but it's good.  

Was rec'd to me by someone at SA, and its a really good show. I like dystopian stories and I've never seen one like this. The "ceremony" was one of the more horrific things I've ever watched on tv. Imagine being any of the people involved...yet my heart breaks thinking about what would be going through the Handmaiden's mind.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

That's how I feel when I describe this show.  Like, it's wretched and makes me want to puke the entire time, but it's good.  

Yeah, I hear ya, 

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Was rec'd to me by someone at SA, and its a really good show. I like dystopian stories and I've never seen one like this. The "ceremony" was one of the more horrific things I've ever watched on tv. Imagine being any of the people involved...yet my heart breaks thinking about what would be going through the Handmaiden's mind.

Definitely. I like that this show isn't shying away from showing how upset and uncomfortable all of the characters are, the commander's wife and possibly the commander included. 

8 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah, I hear ya, 

Definitely. I like that this show isn't shying away from showing how upset and uncomfortable all of the characters are, the commander's wife and possibly the commander included. 

All uncomfortable...yet, it's the right way to live? Makes you think what goes through peoples head where this shit exists, in a way. 

Though, I guess the infertility rate has a lot to do with how this all comes to be. Doesn't make it any better though.

ETA: I can even sympathize with the commander's wife....a little incy wincy bit. Not a whole lot though.

I watched three episodes... Here, in Serbia, it can be watched on HBO Go.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:52 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Nicely said. When I just read the outline of the show, I was expecting something more... flamboyant, perhaps? The world is so void of that. The intercourse itself is so difficult to watch, so incredibly wrong to even comprehend that something like that can be designed by a human being. 

It is perhaps the most difficult show I have seen. Probably in a while. If not, ever. It is phenomenal in its artistry, in its writing, the acting is superb (now I understand why people considers Moss as the front-runner for Emmys). Simply this show is atrociously captivating.

On unrelated note, this is what I get when I don't listen to people and watch the shows they tell me to :D 

So, I just watched this whole series over the course of the last 4-5 days. Wow. That was really some great storytelling. It totally captured that "I'm so horrified, but I can't look away" feeling for me. Poor June. And Moira. And Luke. And so many, many others. 

I can't wait for Season 2 already. I'm glad that's going to be a thing. But, I'm really surprised there isn't more to this thread. I guess, like others have said, it's because it was a show on Hulu. That's a shame. More people should watch this.

10 hours ago, Durckad said:

Wait... that was the finale? Aw, goddamnit.

I don't think I can wait a year to be absolutely miserable again.

Switch on the news. It falls short of the Handmaid's Tale but will have a similar effect

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Switch on the news. It falls short of the Handmaid's Tale but will have a similar effect

I don't even know that it all falls short of THT.  The women under Boko Haram or ISIS controlled areas don't fare well at all.  Women in certain countries - like Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Mali, etc - have unbearably restrictive lives.  

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think that the scariest thought of entire TV show is when she recollects the past and says "By the time we realize what is going on, it was too late" It is such a horrifying idea... To watch silently the world going to hell and doing nothing. It eerily reminds of Niemoller's case.

I think nothing this year has made such an impression on me and my soul. Over the years, various TV shows had their moments, but this grabbed my heart and literally held it in a rather tight grip over the course of 10 episodes. It is certainly a masterpiece. 

Just watched the finale. Thought the season as a whole was okay but didn't quite live up to its potential. There's only so many close-up shots of Elisabeth Moss's face that I want to see. Plus I don't think they've done a good job of making Gilead seem "real". I'll tune in for the next season, but I hope it improves.

I agree about the close ups of Moss's face.  It was an overused technique.  I get it, her face is expressive and tells the story so well, but hers isn't the only one I want to know.  The show was at it's best when it offered glimpses into other handmaid's lives.

• 1 month later...

Thought this might be relevant to those enjoying this particular story.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40719743

Sperm count drop could make humans extinct.

This study appears to be quite flawed and controversial, but some conclusions are that sperm count is dropping rapidly in developed nations, with not enough data available to determine changes in sperm counts in other areas of the world.

Researchers assessing the results of nearly 200 studies say sperm counts among men from North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, seem to have halved in less than 40 years....

...There is no clear evidence for the reason for this apparent decrease. But it has been linked with exposure to chemicals used in pesticides and plastics, obesity, smoking, stress, diet, and even watching too much TV.

On 20/06/2017 at 4:20 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

I don't even know that it all falls short of THT.  The women under Boko Haram or ISIS controlled areas don't fare well at all.  Women in certain countries - like Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Mali, etc - have unbearably restrictive lives.  

Not if you're an XX individual in the ruling class with hands on immense oil reserves owned by all but stolen by you and yours backed with US and British weapons bought for $$$ hundreds of billions, they come to London wear what they want, drive million pound cars, have media careers etc etc, if they want to compete in athletics they switch nationality to British.

Two-thirds of UK weapons have been sold to Middle Eastern countries since 2010, Britain is the 2nd largest arms dealer in the world.  Restrictive lives come from the Oligarchy not from misogyny, loud mouth XY individuals are parroting what their Oligarchy has put in their mouths for thousands of years, it began with the monotheistic religions, XX power players in the shadow have always existed using their husbands as mouthpieces just as much as powerful XX individuals have repressed their wives.

It's certain people who are bad, everyone's brain Is a mosaic of male and female, There is no such thing as a "male brain" or a "female brain". 

Instead, men and women's brains are an unpredictable mishmash of malelike and femalelike features, the study concludes. Even in brain regions previously thought to show differences based on sex, variability is more common than consistency.

"Our study demonstrates that although there are sex/gender differences in brain structure, brains do not fall into two classes, one typical of males and the other typical of females, nor are they aligned along a 'male brain–female brain' continuum."

1 hour ago, Traveller between Worlds said:

Not if you're an XX individual in the ruling class with hands on immense oil reserves owned by all but stolen by you and yours backed with US and British weapons bought for $$$ hundreds of billions, they come to London wear what they want, drive million pound cars, have media careers etc etc, if they want to compete in athletics they switch nationality to British.

Two-thirds of UK weapons have been sold to Middle Eastern countries since 2010, Britain is the 2nd largest arms dealer in the world.  Restrictive lives come from the Oligarchy not from misogyny, loud mouth XY individuals are parroting what their Oligarchy has put in their mouths for thousands of years, it began with the monotheistic religions, XX power players in the shadow have always existed using their husbands as mouthpieces just as much as powerful XX individuals have repressed their wives.

It's certain people who are bad, everyone's brain Is a mosaic of male and female, There is no such thing as a "male brain" or a "female brain". 

You seem like quite the special person.  

Archived