Atwood's 'The Handmaid’s Tale' on Hulu

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, dornishpen said:

Yes they explain it through bits and pieces in the series and book

Reveal hidden contents

after a period of severely declining birth rate and environmental disasters, a Christian fundamentalist group called the Sons of Jacob secretly train a paramilitary organization and place people in various government positions, they slowly start to implement some of their policies in a milder form, then they stage a terrorist attack and kill congress blaming it on a Muslim terrorist group, then they take over in a coup and implement their dystopian ideals by force. Also they don't control the entire former US.

It's a lot less crazy when you consider that in real life we have the most powerful Vice President in memory, Pence, a die-hard Evangelical. And a President that caters extensively to Evangelicals for political gain. Erik Prince, an Evangelical mercenary company head of Blackwater infamy attempting to put mercenaries in charge of U.S. wars overseas, and an Evangelical billionaire De Vos, sister of Prince, currently running the Department of Education and making live difficult for student debtors for shits and giggles. 

I'm not sure what is real life and fiction anymore in the U.S.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

It's a lot less crazy when you consider that in real life we have the most powerful Vice President in memory, Pence, a die-hard Evangelical. And a President that caters extensively to Evangelicals for political gain. Erik Prince, an Evangelical mercenary company head of Blackwater infamy attempting to put mercenaries in charge of U.S. wars overseas, and an Evangelical billionaire De Vos, sister of Prince, currently running the Department of Education and making live difficult for student debtors for shits and giggles. 

tru dat.... Evangelism and fascism are first cousins... and America --already the most religious country in western civilization-- has taken a pronounced step towards erasing the wall between church and state... as I type this, we are somewhere between House of Cards and handmaids Tale...

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Yes that's all very disturbing to think about. A lot of people like to joke that The Hnadmaid's Tale is a utopia for Pence and I think that's probably not far from the truth.

• 3 months later...

Having watched the first three episodes, I have to say that they really struggle with the direction.

Spoiler

It is like they are not sure when or how the revolution should start. They make a step forward, then one back. Certainly, the overthrow of Gilead is certain to happen but I am not sure they know how to do it. And that seems to be the biggest issue this season.

Archived