Which story arcs have stayed closest to the books and why? (SPOILERS)

Clash

1 minute ago, xjlxking said:

Many of the arc have deviations but nothing too major in some of them. I think kings landing plot lines were good. Jon at the wall was good.

There are some innteresting things to think about though as well. Theon for example is with Jeyne in Stannis' camp and in the show he's with Sansa. Stannis having been defeated, that Theon would look to be in a very precarious position.

As you pointed out before Clash,  just mere substitutions the show is making in the name of brevity. It's my believe that Theon/Yara(God, I still hate that) are going to take the place of Victarion. 

I still believe that Ellaria's Dorne is going to mirror Aegon's attempted conquest from the books. The goal here is to bring King's Landing to the same place that it is in the books, or where it will be before the final showdown's of GoT start taking place.

In the book KL has been through the ringer and back, we last see it in utter chaos as the king-regent(or whatever Kevan's title is) is cut down by assassins. After Cersei is dealt with, Aegon will more than likely be the final nail in the Lannister coffin.

The show is not nearly at that point yet. The faith has been pretty polite around town and the Lannister's are still very much in control. Dorne is going to be the factor here that helps lay the Lannister's low.

Whether it's by the hands of Ellaria or Aegon, KL is going to be in a precarious position come Dany or the Others.

6 hours ago, Fredwin said:

As you pointed out before Clash,  just mere substitutions the show is making in the name of brevity. It's my believe that Theon/Yara(God, I still hate that) are going to take the place of Victarion. 

I still believe that Ellaria's Dorne is going to mirror Aegon's attempted conquest from the books. The goal here is to bring King's Landing to the same place that it is in the books, or where it will be before the final showdown's of GoT start taking place.

In the book KL has been through the ringer and back, we last see it in utter chaos as the king-regent(or whatever Kevan's title is) is cut down by assassins. After Cersei is dealt with, Aegon will more than likely be the final nail in the Lannister coffin.

The show is not nearly at that point yet. The faith has been pretty polite around town and the Lannister's are still very much in control. Dorne is going to be the factor here that helps lay the Lannister's low.

Whether it's by the hands of Ellaria or Aegon, KL is going to be in a precarious position come Dany or the Others.

I'm not sure the show will need a substitute for Victarion. He is most likely only providing Daenerys and her gang with additional ships and a magic artifact that seems to have been cut from the show, too, so I really don't see the point or way how Theon/Asha could take the place of Victarion.

Whatever Dornish story there is going to be in the show might be inspired by the Aegon plot - but while Aegon is very likely to actually take the Iron Throne and rule as King Aegon VI Targaryen for some time there is no way this is going to happen with the Ellaria.

And, again, Dorne in the books has been carefully prepared to end up not supporting and fighting against Daenerys thanks to the Quentyn story. But in the show there is no scenario imaginable in which Dorne suddenly decides to fight against both the Lannisters/Tommen and Daenerys.

The show is not taking a shortcut and arriving at the same point (or a similar point) it is telling a different story. This is what people usually describe as 'inspired by' rather than 'based on'. This TV show tells a different story that is inspired by the works of George R.R. Martin.

I believe quite simply that Victarion will be the only person able to stop Euron towards the end of the book. Who else is capable of raising/captaining a fleet, taking down Euron's flagship and destroying his artifacts(that gets PoV time at least)? All this while potentially risking assaults from a dragon.

Conveniently, Theon is freed the same episode that Euron is introduced in the show.

Ellaria is not meant to rule King's Landing, she's meant to raze it and guarantee it will play no factor against the others or Dany. I feel the same about Aegon.

D&D aren't writing a story that's inspired by or based upon. They are just trying to get to every major plot point no matter how ridiculous a path they must take to get there. It's about emulating the important plot beats of the book. If it was only inspired by, they could change any of these major plot points they wanted.

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Whatever Dornish story there is going to be in the show might be inspired by the Aegon plot - but while Aegon is very likely to actually take the Iron Throne and rule as King Aegon VI Targaryen for some time there is no way this is going to happen with the Ellaria.

Is that actually probable? Kings Landing isn't that easily taken. Only for Tywin Lannister's betrayal, it could well have been a very long siege with the possibility of the entire city being destroyed by wildfyre instead of being taken effectively without a fight. Unless something similar happens, Aegon could well be kicking his heels outside for a very long time.

8 minutes ago, Clash said:

Is that actually probable? Kings Landing isn't that easily taken. Only for Tywin Lannister's betrayal, it could well have been a very long siege with the possibility of the entire city being destroyed by wildfyre instead of being taken effectively without a fight. Unless something similar happens, Aegon could well be kicking his heels outside for a very long time.

Varys is in the city and right now most likely the man who actually rules the city, having had time to make connections to all the low level and mid-level people especially in the City Watch (which was crucial back in the Dance when Rhaenyra took the city).

In addition, there is the Qyborg, the Faith Militant/High Septon and the Lannister-Tyrell enmity. There is pretty much no chance that those faction will overcome their differences and unite against Aegon.

Sure, the Tyrells have an army and that army has to meet Aegon's forces and be defeated. If that doesn't happen then Aegon is not going to win. But then - Jon Connington is a good commander, and the Golden Company is an actual army (with elephants) not a host made up of levies with pikes.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Varys is in the city and right now most likely the man who actually rules the city, having had time to make connections to all the low level and mid-level people especially in the City Watch (which was crucial back in the Dance when Rhaenyra took the city).

In addition, there is the Qyborg, the Faith Militant/High Septon and the Lannister-Tyrell enmity. There is pretty much no chance that those faction will overcome their differences and unite against Aegon.

Which still begs the wildfire question. Does Varys really have the whole pyromancer situation on lock down? He didn't seem to have any control or input over it back when they were preparing for Stannis. Varys may well be opening the doors for Aegon's conflagration, Cersei's final act.

Archived