Why and Where does the Dany/Jon love theory com from?

norwaywolf123

From the Arianne II sample chapter

Young girls dreamed of dashing knights with wicked smiles, not solemn boys who always did their duty.

This is Arianne thinking why Dany won't be interested in Quentyn. The bolded text sounds a lot like a description of Jon. Although used in the negative sense, I think this can be taken as a foreshadowing.

For the simple reason that these two will be two destructive and constructive forces in upcoming books: Jon will destroy northern nobility and its principles of kneeling and loyalty to a lord and his blood (breaking feudal system in the North); install and integrate more free-minded Free Folk in place of northern nobility which will spread this advanced ideas of electing their leader based on merit and strength rather than heritage; and then fulfill his vow to Night's Watch by acting as "shield that guards the realms of men" in capacity of Lord of Winterfell and King Robb's heir (Rickon will not be Robb's heir because Stannis will install him as his Warden of the North, not king, and he will die in Jon-northern nobility confrontation). Then he will defeat and stop White Walker invasion at Winterfell, get unlimited wight army under his control thanks to Bran and his powers, make a pact with remaining "villainous" White Walkers who will become his version of Kingsguard (they are described as white shadows, just like Ghost and Barristan, two close companions and bodyguards of Jon and Dany), and finally be crowned King of Winter, like Starks of thousands of years old (there are many hints in the book for the connection between Starks and Others). He will also know his true parentage and realize his destiny - he needs to become "a shield that guards the realms of men" for whole Westeros. He needs to take Iron Throne, but he will have Dany on his way.

Dany's storyline will involve realization that she is a true dragon, a conqueror, she tried to rule in peace, but it is just not in her destiny. She will unite Dothraki khalasars in Vaes Dothrak; destroy and burn every city in Western Essos that is involved with slavery (which means every city except Braavos); return to Westeros with Essosi population (which will involve many nations who will convert to R'hillorism and consider her Azor Ahai as well as mirror first two mass Essosi migrations of First Men and Andals); burn Stannis on Dragonstone as Usurper's heir and fake Azor Ahai (who arrived from the North with Manderly fleet); and start her invasion of Southern Westeros. Second Dance of the Dragons will begin between her and fAegon, which will result in destruction of southern nobility and feudalism, rise of peasantry and small folk both in religious and social context as well as "injection" of Dothraki way of thinking that a leader should be followed because of his/her strength, not heritage (just like wildlings). After destroying and burning all her opposition in the South, the only opposition left to take will be North and its self proclaimed King of Winter, Jon Stark. She needs to take Iron Throne, but she will have Jon on her way.

That is why I think these two are "ice" and "fire" of this series. Not because of their bloodlines, but what their storylines hold for them. You just cannot deny so many parallels of them trying to reshape the world.

For all it is worth, I think they will fight first as enemies in the Battle of the Dawn, but it will result in Jon proving to the realm who he truly is (Targaryen) while Dany learns who SHE truly is (I know it sounds crazy, I am not sure about it myself, need more textual evidence, but I think she is Ned Stark and Ashara Dayne's bastard daughter, so she is a Stark, "Remember who you are. The dragons know, do you?"). Their trueborn and bastard identities should have always been reserved from their very birth, but life had other destiny for them.

And I think the Battle of the Dawn will result in a Pact of Ice and Fire, where Stark man will marry Targaryen woman, foreshadowed in TWOIAF. They will have a boy, which they always wanted like in the books, and he will be named Eddard Stark. who will be the heir to the new throne in a new capital built on Harrenhal grounds (Cersei will burn King's Landing in wildfire). However, when Long Night and darkness leave, both "ice" and "fire", two main forces of the nature in this universe, will need to leave this world and let "spring" come. Dany will die in childbirth, while Jon will visit Isle of Faces and rest in peace near weirwoods after finally fulfilling his oaths to the realms of men. Now his watch will TRULY be ended.

That is how I see it, but maybe this is too much. 

3 hours ago, Scorpion92 said:

[snip]

My pet tinfoil(or fanfiction) is that Dany and Jon have a child together, and Jon will sacrifice the child to win the war for the dawn, because they think this child 'is the prince that was promised, and his/her is the song of ice and fire'. After this act of kinslaying, Jon will realize that he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, so he could have sacrificed himself instead of the child. That will be very tragic.

10 hours ago, Hos the Hostage said:

This is Arianne thinking why Dany won't be interested in Quentyn. The bolded text sounds a lot like a description of Jon. Although used in the negative sense, I think this can be taken as a foreshadowing.

Agree.

Arianne does have a point. Dany does like their dashing warriors but she also craves for home and family, just as Jon does. This is something they can give each other without much effort.

Not that I care for Danearys or her "love life", or really think they'll "end up together" but you all don't seem to be realizing Drogo and Daario are not really similar men.

They're both good fighters, yeah. So was Jorah. So is Jon. So was Sandor, Oberyn, Gregor and the Halfhand, so is Bronn, Garth Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Victarion, Thoros of Myr...

So is Brienne!

Drogo was an arranged marriage. She wasn't seduced by him, she was sold to him. Daario just made her so wet she couldn't take it. Also their personalities are very different.

Anyway, Jon is not Quentyn. He would probably look good to her after Hizdahr. Yeah, remember him? the last man she actually knew on the biblical sense. After that I'm sure Jon would be impressive.

It's not like she has loads of goods suitors. She needs a man fit to rule, with the pedigree to rule and the societal position to rule. If she took that and examined her options, maybe Jon would simply be the favorable choice for her.

As for Jon... Yeah, I don't think he'd be too impressed with her either, but anyway, Jon fell in love with literally the first woman who showed interest in him, who was also the first woman he slept with. And who happened to be a weirdo, just like Daenarys. Men have simple needs, anyway. Daenarys is often described as the most beautiful woman in the world. I don't think she'd need half of that to convince "Little Jonny" down there.

Maybe they'd marry for politics, yup. If Jon would become Jon Targaryan, first of his name, he'd need a queen. If Daenarys would become Daenarys the Queen, she'd need a king. It would make more sense for them to marry than to fight for the throne, really.

Now, if that would be a "loveless, unbearable marriage"... Maybe, maybe not. Jon is not a drunkard whoremonger, Daenarys is not as crazy and annoying as Cersei. Maybe their relationship would end up like Eddard and Catelyn's. They just grew fond of each other, after all, it was if nothing else the most productive thing to do.

Remember how Catelyn told us how disappointed she was with Ned when she met him? He was shorter than his brother and more plain. He was somber, serious. Yadda yadda yadda.

Ned was also just doing his duty.

Of course, Catelyn was still a maid, so it was easier for that to work out. But anyway, it wouldn't surprise me that much. I'd think a relationship between them would not really be all that passionate, but still warm.

Or maybe she would try to get her dragons to roast him, because Daenarys is batshit crazy.

12 hours ago, Hos the Hostage said:

or the opposite

To be honest I love the idea of Jon and Dany, but this just wouldn't fit nicely in the narrative. It also isn't GRRM's way so it would disappoint me if they ended up together and they lived happily ever after. We know the series will have a bittersweet ending. The only way for this to end up bittersweet is if Jon is Azor Ahai and he pulls a Nissa Nissa on Dany once they're lovers. Even that I can't really see go down. 

I do see them cross paths maybe in the future, but for them to become lovers seems unlikely.

I really can't see this. It's one of the most cliché things I heard of. The characters have never met and have no connection( unless that they're possible family) . Also I don't see them having any chemistry together. This "Ice and Fire" complot doesn't work because Jon is supposed to be both. And ofcourse I rather see Jon&Val.

When Jon gets resurrected he will never just be like" Oh wait i'm a Targ let's find this girl and hook up because Targs do incest." The Starks will always be his real family.

14 hours ago, Hos the Hostage said:

2 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

or the opposite

I think it depends on what changes (if any) occur in Jon when he's resurrected.  Will he be more of a dark and dangerous type?  Or still the solemn and dutiful type?  I lean towards him being more alpha male/wolfish post-resurrection myself.   

I agree that line has the feel of foreshadowing, but we won't know which way it points until we see what Jon's personality is like when he comes back.

I'm of the opinion they will fall in love but one of them will die to save the other or there'll be a whole Nissa Nissa thing going on. People believe the third treason, mount and fire Dany will know, ride and light will be Jon. She'll mount Jon out of love, the treason could be Jon stabbing her (Nissa Nissa) or even Jon sacrificing himself and these two could also relate to the fire she will light, Lightbringer could be reborn from Jon stabbing her or sacrificing himself for her

Edit: bittersweet ending?

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/1/2016 at 9:50 PM, norwaywolf123 said:

They interpret the House of the Undying prophecy in a specific way. Dany sees a blue rose growing out of the Wall that fills the air with "sweetness," and a lot of people think this flower symbolizes Jon and the "sweetness" means that she and Jon will fall in love. Less noticed is that sweetness and sweet smells are repeatedly used as anegative in the story in general and for Dany in particular.

this post is old but regardless i want to point out that for ned, the blue roses also smell sweet (which indicates that this is what winter roses really smell like) and that doesn't mean that he is going to marry jon is he???

On 5/5/2016 at 1:21 AM, The Doctor's Consort said:

From the fangirling in tumblr who believe that the protagonist have to fall in love in the end. It doesn't matter than either of them is the others taste.

lol agreed

On 5/13/2016 at 4:11 PM, Hos the Hostage said:

Young girls dreamed of dashing knights with wicked smiles, not solemn boys who always did their duty

IMO, this quote was less foreshadowing and more characterization for Arianne. Dashing Knight with a wicked smile describes Oberyn fairly well, and she has a complex involving her uncle. 

Rhaegar, Dany's hero, was considered Somber.

It's not just the blue rose growing from the wall of ice and filling the air with sweetness though... even in the house of the undying there are other hints, like when Danny sees Jon seated with ghosts head at the feast of the dead (many mistake this for the red wedding, but "silent appeal" is both a reference to ghost, the one quiet wolf, and that there is no time or reason Rob would "appeal" to Danny.)

Honestly, I think it's far more likely they love each other than that they end up enemies... but I'd bet on brother/sister before husband/wife, not trhat's this is exclusive, clearly. With both Dany and Jon being of "ice and fire".

Archived