Ran

On May 2, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Electric Bass said:

Do you think Melisandre might be dead in the next episode? I got the impression that the spells were taking something out of her, even though she looked okay at the end of it. 

That was my take on it.

Sorry if it was already mentioned somewhere but I admit that I'm a bit too lazy to look for it in the last 20 pages:

Can someone explain me why Tyrion rather fearlessly went down there to unchain the dragon and he really unchained and then he suddenly looked so terrified and run away call the whole thing a stupid idea? I didn't understand what startled him. Like, the dragons didn't look they were about to attack him, did they?

1 hour ago, Nerevanin said:

Sorry if it was already mentioned somewhere but I admit that I'm a bit too lazy to look for it in the last 20 pages:

Can someone explain me why Tyrion rather fearlessly went down there to unchain the dragon and he really unchained and then he suddenly looked so terrified and run away call the whole thing a stupid idea? I didn't understand what startled him. Like, the dragons didn't look they were about to attack him, did they?

I think it was just that natural reaction most people have when they do something stupid/scary, then afterwards turn to theirmate and say 'never let me do that again!' 

There wasn't anything specific that the dragons did in that moment, other than being dragons.

13 hours ago, Morna The Maid said:

.I just realized something going over the Ironborn plot. Instead of the book's all the Ironborn fighting over the Seastone Chair, in the show it's the Salt Throne.

Really? THE SALT THRONE?

Why did that name have to be changed? Huh? Do D/D realize how *stupid* that sounds? I got this image of a big white throne made entirely out of salt, like someone hoisted a huge-ass block of salt with massive tongs down in the throne room in Pyke, just plopped it down, "Here ya go," and the king  hired the local sculptors to carve a chair out of it. And it's not like someone hot and sweaty might not melt the salt chair down after long enough sitting in it.

*snark* Now I'm not sayin' George's name for the seat of the king of the II is brilliant either, but Seastone Chair has a ring to it that Salt Throne never will.

I hear ya. 

This robs us of Aeron's rhythmic line, "No godless man may sit the Seastone Chair." Nice little piece of iambic pentameter. Always reminded me of "A secret now that only fire can tell" in LotR. 

I'm disappointed we're not getting Aeron, honestly. I know a lot of people find his chapters dull as ditch... err, seawater, but I think they reveal huge amounts about the culture of the Iron Islands. 

So, there’s this Onion show called “A Game of Thrones” and it’s a satire of the books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George RR Martin.  Its hysterical.  Nothing on the show makes sense; they have these ham-fisted “twists” that everyone sees coming; dialog is mindless and major characters that people LOVE either 1) never show up or 2) do such lame things that it makes them seem hilarious!  Its the best comedy on TV right now.  

Regardless, I watch the show and here is what I thought of this week’s episode:

What I liked:

Davos: The Guy Who Says What Everyone is Thinking:  I like Davos a lot because I think it’s a good thing that there is a character who still can be a moral compass without any baggage.  He makes mistakes but he tries to do good.  That’s … refreshing.  But why is he willing to die for a guy – Jon Snow – he barely knows and who is dead? 

Bran’s Dreams:  This could actually be a “what I didn’t like” but I am trying to be less salty.  Watching young-Ned and Young Benjen (I know many Millennials who may not remember who Benjen Stark was- the year was 2011 and it was a strange time, but there was this stark kid named “BenJen” and the show runners used him because he was in the book, but then… FORGOT HE EVER EXISTED!) …

(Oh, btw – who tried to kill Bran after he was crippled?  That was a pretty important moment.  Sorry, the show runners never answered that question for you). 

ANYWAY… watching Bran see Lyanna and interact with that moment was very deep and also subtle.  Well done.  And I also liked the scene because it didn’t see an obvious resurrection that anyone with half a brain would have seen coming. 

Cersei’s Humanity: They are doing a great job in exposing the nuances behind Cersei which, I must say, are deep, convincing, believable and well-earned.  I think Headey is doing a tremendous job. And in many ways, Cersei in the show is a more compelling character than Cersei in the book. 

I also liked the scene because Myrcella stayed dead.  The scene didn’t foolishly make a character come back to life. Because that’s fucking stupid. 

What I am on the Fence About:

The Security at Myrcella’s Funeral:  So … the priest can just let in whoever he wants?  And they just get in?  Do they still have gold-cloaks?  I mean, it’s a good scene because Jaime was in it and he’s, basically, one of the few characters who is not 1) excruciating, 2) doing stupid things that amount to “buys work” and 3) has real emotional investment.  But … just cave the Sparrow’s head in; that insufferable, self-righteous asshole.  Okay, I liked watching the scene and the interplay but I find the Sparrow’s power to be unreasonable and unrealistic.  And yes, I know there are dragons in the universe.  But, again, at least Myrcella did not come back to life like other dumb characters. 

Tyrion’s Contractually Obligated Scene: Hey, look its Tyrion.  And Dragons.  We put two great tastes that taste great together!  Please forgive us for everything that happened elsewhere in this episode. 

What I didn’t Like:

Roose Bolton’s death: This goes with my constant complaint about the way the show is currently being run: whenever there is a stumbling block in the story; whenever there a slow point OR a conflict point, the show’s “out” is to IGNORE the conflict and just … kill a character.  Because that’s what they did. They didn’t know what to do with Roose, so the show-runners just killed him.  No conflict; no big moment; no pay-off.  Just dead.

Now, what about all the people who supported roose?  What about his bannermen?  His retainers?  His guards and heavies?  Did psycho-sauce Ramsey Snow-Bolton walk up to EVERY SINGL one of thiose guys with that creepy smile on his face and his “rapey” eyes and say “Hey, guy-who-has-always-been-loyal-to-my-father-since-the-Trident – let’s assassinate my father!  And you can trust me!  Look at my crazy eyes and my fucking creepy face!  And the way I am killing people arbitrarily and capriciously!  I’m just a more vicious Tywin!” 

See, the problem is that at LEAST when Lord Frey or Tywin or ANYONE ELSE killed a major character – there was a reason!  That they did it with some level of gain for others.  When Tywin killed Robb others MAY have found it uncomfortable… but at the very least he could show it was better for everyone- end a war, kill a traitor, make peace, secure the realm… and it your name is Lord Frey, you get to be the Lord of the Riverlands. 

What is it that Crazy-eyed Ramsey said or did or was able to secure for those who GAINED under Roose?  What could he do for them?  Why would they NOT … KILL HIM?! 

Answer?  Who knows…? 

Roose Bolton was a great character and he should have been better handled than “Okay-we-don’t-know-what-to-do-here-let’s-have-Ramsey-kill-him.” But, hey, at least Roose Bolton won’t stupidly come back to life. 

The Dumbest Scene In the Franchise: This is not hyperbole.  Lady Walda’s death is the stupidest, most empty, most vapid scene in the history of the show.  That includes every Shea scene; that includes the Dorne scenes; everything that happened on the Iron Isles all of it.  Walda’s death was the show’s ham-fisted move to try to remind us how dangerous and vicious this world is.  Okay.  We knew that.  Couldn’t just kill her off stage?  No, we have to see it? 

What did the first draft of that scene look like?

Ramsey: Lady Walda, you just gave birth and in no condition to walk around.  So of course I called you out here on a cold winter’s day. 

Lady Walda: I know, m’lord.  Its not suspicious at all.  I just went through many hours of labor and I’m completely exhausted, but here I am! 

Ramsey: Is that my brother?  Can I hold him in my creepy hooven-hands?

LW: Of course, m’lord!  In no way am I hesitant about having the bastard of my husband hold my child; because in the North, we ladies bare absolutely no suspicion of bastards; its not like for the first two seasons IT AS DRILLED INTO THE VIEWERS HEADS that bastards are not trusted; and its not like Lady Stark’s personal struggles with Jon Snow are not a major sub-theme running throughout this story!  Here is my 30-minute old child! 

Ramsey: (takes hold of child between his mandible-claw-like appendages) He looks delicious- I mean, healthy.  So, lets go to the kennels; a room my father has never ever been ever and lets hang out there for a bit.  (gives child back)

LW: Let me dimly follow you there. 

(They go into the kennel. The kennel must stink like dog-shit so she should know they are going to a kennel).

LW: My, I have no problem AT ALL with my new-born child being in a kennel with wild dogs.  Especially when I have obviously heard tails of these dogs chasing women through the countryside and eating them.  Nope!  No concerns at all. 

Ramsey: (Unlocks kennel doors)  I want to say that I have tricked you!  IT IS I WHO IS NOW THE LORD OF –

LW: Lord of Winterfell?  Yes, Ramsey we all know it.  Even I’m not that stupid.  I just have to now uselessly beg for my life- AFTER I have been locked in this room with you… (clears throat) No, please, Ramsey; please not my baby!

Ramsey:  No, Let me do something so fucking void of consciousness that its amazing nobody gives a shit; I will feed you to my wild dogs

LW: (clearly looking off-stage, a sense of doubt crossing her face) “Wait … so … you’re not going to do this off-stage?  No, you are really going to kill me so people hear me scream as the dogs eat me alive?  Really?  This was the best we could do? 

Ramsey: It’s a vicious time! 

LW: (Sigh) Okay, Ramsey; I get that.  I get that we live in a foul, horrid time and that people’s lives are meaningless.  But dow e HAVE to listen to the bones crunch down on my flesh as I scream for my life in horror?  And don’t I have people sworn to me who may have been here to prevent this catastrophe?  No?  Fuck this is so dumb!

Ramsey: It could be worse.

LW: (As dog clamps down on her neck) True; it would be worse if I was a major character who died and was suddenly brought back to life, after the show cashed in on the spectacle of my death.  That would be very lame.

(scene)

Ned’s Death Would Have Been Worse: So, lets just get to it- Jon Snow’s revival.  Stupid, very obvious; totally destroys the mythology that what is dead in the show stays dead; ruins the narrative.  And we all saw it coming.  Like 1000 miles away.  God it was terrible. 

But its sooooooo much worse than that.  Because WE ALL SAW IT COMING! 

Think back to when you saw the end of the first season (or if you are one of us “insufferable book readers,” when you read) Ned’s death.  You were stunned, right?  I mean, you were in UTTER SHOCK!  I mean, there are You Tube vids of fans Reacting to the shock. 

Like here.  

Here, a grown man starts CRYING over it:

This woman hides under a blanket like the boogey-man is about to get her:

Seriously, there is a play-list of 50 reactions to this.  Grown adults scream in horror. They cry.  Like if their cat died or something.   Its an amazing accomplishment for TV and GoT.  (We won’t even TALK about the Red Wedding). 

Now… IMAGINE… how you felt when you read/saw Jon Snow dying.  And how UTTERLY PREDICTABLE IT WAS THAT HE WOULD COME BACK!  And how void of emotion it was; lame; silly; … HOW UTTERLY PEDESTRIAN IT WAS!  How it was almost something (GASP) Network TV would do! 

Think about how far we have come since “Ned Dead at Baelor’s” to “Jon Snow just coming  back to life because … magic!”  Imagine if the scenes had been reversed; imagine if, for the story, the series STARTED OUT with Jon Snow’s death and immediate resurrection then ended with Ned Stark’s death?  We wouldn’t care!  Why?  Because everyone would just assume that Ned would come back to life; because that’s what shitty sci-fi series do!  They Trick the reader/viewer into believing the character is dead so they can get that HUGE payoff and reader cred, then pull a “switch-a-roo!” and, hazzah!  The character is not dead.  Lame.  Super lame. 

And that’s what this show is now.  Its bringing back crowd favorites while it kills everyone else because it doesn’t know what to do with them.  The show has no idea what its doing anymore. 

Bonus Stuff I Didn't Like:

So Now It Ends:  The teaser at the end has the scene at the Tower of Joy and it looks great.  Why?

Because the ToJ was a scene that GRRM wrote; not the show runners.  The Show runners are GREAT at creating and recreating stuff that GRRM already created.  They do a great job at putting on screen what he already put on paper.  The show –runners suck-out-loud at doing anything on their own that requires them having to create or interpret.  They are bad at it. 

That’s why that last scene is there in the teaser- it’s a plea; an ardent cry from the show runners top the viewers saying “See?  We still have the books!  We can still make this work?!  Its not terrible!”

Its terrible.

Anyway… here is a compilation of people reacting to the Red Wedding-   the best part of the series; it shows viewers invested in characetrs and literally grieving over them.  The show has lost that entirely becayusbecauseon’t have the books to draw from.  You will never see anything like this from the show ever again, because the show is not good. 

Final Episode Score: 3.5/10. 

Here is my   I am overthinking details list.

Young Ned about young Hordor  --- "Oh Nan, look at the size of him, if he ever learned to fight, he would be unstoppable-- Foreshadowing of a Bran/Hordor dynamic duo team?  Could be fun!

Tyrion about Varys -- his odd cock jokes seem really out of place, like Dinklage is even acting them out of place, like throwing it off weird deliberately... Unless he was having a really bad day when they shot both scenes, I can't believe the same writers that wrote the wonderful  "I drink and I know things" would bomb bad cock jokes.....Very unlike Tyrion/Dinklage not being able to carry them off..  Then the comment on knowing Varys was thinking dwarf jokes,  makes me think Tyrion is working on trying to figure out what Varys is thinking.  What he is really up to, feel him out. Maybe the cock jokes are trying to get a reaction from him, figure out his real motives. Tyrion is very good at reading people, and Varys is a challenge.

Cersei  --- she has really proved how much I suck at trying to guess anything in this show. I thought for sure she would be getting super pissed off at Jamie when he came back with Myrcella dead. Instead she acted completely opposite and even told him the prophecy.  While she is talking with Tommen and is acting subdued, such a sad look, no fight in her at all. I wonder if she was thinking about prophecy while looking at him, thinking he is next, that he is going to die, and there is nothing she can do about it........ ALMOST makes me feel bad for her...and if I had not read the books, I might have.....

Melisandre and r'hllor     Don't know much about r'hllor, I have thought of him as a fearful, scary, fire and blood god, with blood sacrifices,shadows, and black magic. But with the way Melisandre brought Jon back, it was soft, and quiet, r'hllor gave this gift when she doubted him and herself...makes me wonder what kind of god he is,  is this a god with multiple faces, is there a r'hllor god at all?

I want to say my impressions now, although it's already nearly two days ahead:

- I like this Bran's first visit to the past. At first I thought this young Rodric Cassel was Brandon Stark. Was Brandon the ward of the Ryswells at that time? I never thought Hodor was mentally healthy before. I really want to know what caused this Wylis to become Hodor. Was it some really hard head-blow? I hope we get an answer for that soon. I wasn't surprised when we got to know that Bran won't remain in that cave forever. I never expected that.

- The first of the many victims of Ser Robert Strong. Nothing special at King's Landing yet, only the setup for the many big shits to come.

- I like the scene where Tyrion unchains Viserion and Rhaegal, but I don't understand why did the dragons went deeper in the pyramid instead getting out. I hoped that a certain new red priestess would appear by now.

- Still nothing special in Braavos with Arya.

- Since we already knew that Ramsay is insane, I wasn't surprised of Roose's murder by his hand at all. Before that, Roose said that Ramsay could be taken outback and slaughtered for pig feed. I imagine Ramsay getting eaten by his own hounds as his horrible death.

- The scene where Theon and Sansa say their farewells was nice. Brienne did told Sansa about her encounter with Arya, but why didn't she tell her about the Hound?

- For me, the scene where Euron kills Balon is best scene in this episode, besides the final one. It's almost the same as it was in the books. I look forward to see more of Euron.

- In the final scene of Jon's revival, the thing I like the most was the tension they made.

The thing I am looking forward to see the most in the next episode is Tower of Joy fight, and the thing I fear the most is that Ramsay's gift could be Rickon.

Edited by Dornishwoman's Husband
correcting mistakes and filling other stuffs

16 hours ago, Attitude said:

You're right, but I get it. They need to move forward now, so they skip some details and make the decisions without any clear character development. They should've used S05 to create more character development.

Oh, pretty sure Brienne mentioned The hound, just not by name. 

Brienne only said "a man," which given the significance of The Hound, and specifically the significance to Sansa, this is a huge and nonsensical omission. Brienne has no idea about Sansa's relationship with The Hound, so its nonsensical from a character POV for her to omit that when it being The Hound would be significant information to just about anyone. She fought the guy as well, in very brutal fashion. The fact that she doesn't namedrop is only explainable by the meta-narrative factor that the writers don't want to have to deal with Sansa's natural reaction to that information within the context of that scene. They want her to know Arya is alive, but not that she was with The Hound, so they contrive to have Brienne only say half of the story.

On 5/2/2016 at 9:50 PM, Señor de la Tormenta said:

It only takes 20 good men to beat stannis, and one pointy knife to get rid of roose.

I thought those 20 men infiltrated the camp to screw things up,  but that more men actually fought Stannis's army.

Enjoyed the episode overall.

I found the Jon revival ritual underwhelming, though I will give Kit credit for not moving around during what looked like a very sexy sponge bath. Like a previous commenter, I was afraid there would be some sort of sex ritual involved,  so I guess I should be grateful there wasn't! 

How much did I want Jaime to kick the High Sparrow's butt? Also, please let Lancel be the next to get a quick dagger in the back!

Was I the only one hoping Tyrion would get the qet the Quentyn storyline (Oh!)? Now, that would have been a bold twist!

I thought that Euron looked a little like Theon, so good casting.  Happy for the Kingsmoot. I think it's interesting that they are including that because it makes me wonder if democracy is in the future of Westeros.

I didn't like the Roose death because it was so unsatisfying--one unpleasant character kills another. Would have preferred a Stark or Theon or even Brienne to have done the deed.

Rockroi, OMG your post about Walda's death...OMG LMAO I just spit iced tea all over my keyboard. "claw-like mandible appendages"...OMG but that's an insult to all crustacean life though, both Patchface and the Ironborn would want your head on a spike! :) Can you re-post that in the Ranter's thread?

Your post was an honorary Rant but this isn't the Criticize thread, so I'll throw the show a bone and say the few things I liked. I say "the show" and not Dan and the two Daves, because everything in this episode and Season 6 so far has come about not because of the writers/show-runners but in spite of them, and at this stage it's a wonder we are getting anything good at all.

1) The performances of Lean Headey and Alfie Allen. God, somebody just give Alfie an Emmy. GRRM wrote a complex character, someone who begins the saga as this totally despicable character who you just want the worst for, but then when Martin obliges and drags out his agony and torture for far longer than is necessary, to the point of grotesqueness, it's just another of his many ways of demonstrating his opinion that revenge is just wrong (the show, of course, takes the opposite tack, and not only wallows in it and glorifies it, but even strips it of drama. We haven't had a good revenge scene since Oberyn but that was screwed up. And Ellaria in the books is THE great pacifist  but not on the show! But anyway, I am utterly amazed at how Alfie is able to draw forth new shades of pathos for Theon. It took some acting chops to skillfully portray the slow and subtle battle between the theon/Reek persona and when one would supercede the other. And how even when hobbling through snowy woods without saying a word, he is able to convey that "I am still neither wholly Theon nor wholly Reek" persona. And the flickers of emotion on his face, embracing Sansa under the tree last episode he even has a moment of sublimity. (never mind the scene refs Magnus embracing Alice Munro under the waterfall in 1991's Last of the Mohicans.) His subtle facial expressions, how after 3 seasons of this character being tortured can he pull new tricks out of his bag. My God.

As for Lena, she knows Cersei, or rather D/D' whitewashed "tragic tiger mom" Cersei, so well, she makes many an Unsullied feel for her. (In the books, I don't know who's more the drunken sot at this stage, her or Tyrion. They're flip sides of the same coin: Cersei is the Lannister who drinks and *doesn't* know things. Yes, she drinks a little, but she should be the one practically puking on the floor, not just Tyrion! And both Littlefinger and Varys are sitting back and enjoying the spectacular show of "Cersei's Disasterous Deconstruction of the Seven Kingdoms", they are actually in awe of the utter stupidity of her decisions as Queen Regent. It's like the Seven Kingdoms are a fleet of ships and Cersei is the wildfire destroying them. It's amazing! But we see none of this on the show, of course.)

But back to her performance: we get that sense of personal tragedy and impending doom. Literally, the thread of her life is unraveling (a great touch; I'd love to know if Lena threw that in there or was it in the script.) I think of a  quote from the book: "Her fire has gone out, she who used to burn so bright."

But this is because both of these actors have had the time onscreen spread out over 5 seasons to get to know their characters, to get comfortable with them and settle into them. The can thus anticipate their actions and even begin to be creative, improvise and go in new directions. Now imagine if someone like Euron, who is being set up as the shows' new villain to follow Ramsey, had been set up like this, with the Ironborn plot sprinkled out over seasons 4-5, not much, but maybe a half hour a season, so Euron could be teased and built up the way The Walking Dead built up Nagle (sorry my brain fails me today, but you know who I mean:)...and we could have the cnflict set up between Asha/Yara, Euron, Balon, and the Damphair. Sorry, 2 minutes of exposition on a bridge to make up for this lack will not do.

Just a note on great acting and what this series could do if it tried.

More thoughts: Isaac H-W has really grown into a sweet young man. No Hollywood ego, and so far, all his interviews have been stellar. I'll bet the hearts of older mothers everywhere are just breaking for Bran. And it's great how he portrays Bran as somehow being still innocent and uncorrupted despite great suffering.  I remember Michelle Fairley's DVD commentary for season 3 and how she waxed enthusiastic at how he looked as he was growing up, and Nikolai's comment, "You speak like a mother." And I recall rumors of someone seeing a car with Michelle in it speeding through Belfast. Not LSH (thank God), just Michelle wanting to catch up with him I'm sure,  and maybe spend time on set watching him work. (*wipes tear from eye*)

Davos: my favorite character. George, PLEASE don't kill him off until the very end, or have him and *one* of his sons survive, dammit, Devan perferably. The one really decent bloke in Westeros, even Ned had his faults, though not many. I mean, just why DID he smuggle that food to Stannis huh? It would be easy to think' "well he saw an opportunity for personal gain if I did this right"  (ie a selfish motive) or he would not have done it at all (what was Stannis to him, the orphan of Flea Bottom,  but just another dysfuctional King fighting one of his petty scores that bankrupt kingdoms and prey on the smallfolk, to someone like him Stannis would be one of the 1%) but no, he's able to see humanity even in the tablois headliners of the day, so to speak. it says on the HBO History and Lore segment that Davos was simply moved to act by memories of the horrors he'd witnessed in KL, people dying of hunger in the streets of Flea Bottom and he didn;t wish that on anyone, not even a King. Just PURE NOBILITY right there. (Can I just make a "Davos For President" T-shirt?:)

Anyway, a lot of people are harping about his sudden conversion to enthusiasm to Red Rahloo (ha), how he's waxing enthusiastic about her "miracles" all of a sudden. I think it's an act, a pep talk, anything to get her to bring Jon back. Whom I suspect he cares about all of a sudden b/c don't forget, eason 5 he did get to know Jon at CB a little, and jon is simply potentially the last hope, the only guy left with sense in this sorry part of Westeros.

Now, can I nominate MY take on THE ABSOLUTE WORST SCENE IN THE HISTORY OF GOT? For you Rockroi, it was Walda's death. For me it was Sansa and Brienne this episode. OMG THE GHASTLY SCRIPT. Imagine this scenario: you are seperated from your kid sister in a horrible war, you know she's out there in the thick of it and going through God knows what. You hate her in a sister-catfight kind of way, and sometimes you DO want her head on a spike (but not really), but as time goes on you miss your destroyed family so much you find you don't hate her anymore, you'd give anything just to see her stupid little face.:) (Of course the show never conveys this, nothing about Sansa losing her Stark-ness, or any Stark kid's growing warging powers/wolf-dreams-they're all having them by this point, except for her--nothing about Jon thinking of Arya, nor "the hole in Arya's heart", etc. (That's why the flashback was so great: Bran is the first Stark kid in 4 seasons who conveys this utter loneliness and longing.)

Now, after say 2 yrs of this, you meet someone who tells you she's been with your sister, spoken to her, BUT your now 13-yr-old sister is WITH A STRANGE MAN who you don't know if he was a perv, a friend, a rapist what, you have to take the word of this strange woman who says 'oh, I don't think he hurt her, she looked ok with him" and then when you ask where she is this stranger says SHE LOOKED FOR HER FOR ONLY 3 DAYS AND THEY DISAPPEARED AND SHE WAS FINE WITH THAT, just up and gave up the search you know, and what do you have to say to all this?

"HOW'D SHE LOOK"????????? (no emotion on face, not even, OMG if that was me I would have jumped up, grabbed her by the face and shook her till she was dizzy and SCREAMED at her "WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE DISAPPEARED? WHERE IN SEVEN HELLS *IS* SHE?!??!)

We see Sansa have almost no reaction. "How'd she look?" it's as if Sophie herself is unable to register the stupidlity of the script!!! "Can this be real? COME ON". She should be pacing the clearing gesticulating wildly, agitation, "we have to find her!" etc. But no, we have to zip along, the plot must go on, we are running out of time.

The next bit was somewhat believable, I imagine most rape victims would not be eager to re-live their experiences with a stranger, so Sansa's silence when Brienne asked about Winterfell was ok, but I couldnt't help thinking "IF ONLY YOU KNEW..." but of course Dave and Dan hate Sansa and keep giving Sophie the worst dialogue of the series next to the Sand Snakes.

And yeah Pocketsavior, I'd forgotten Aeron Dampair's mantra. We may get it at the Kingsmoot, but I'm not holding my breath. I must be one of the few who like the Ironborn, they're like the Vikings of Westeros.

BTW, does your screen-name come from Spinal Tap? LOVE that movie..Tap's second-best album, though..the best IMO was "Smell The Glove" (apologies if you don't get the Spinal Tap reference, one of the greatest comedies ever made!

Edited by Morna The Maid

9 hours ago, Rockroi said:

So, there’s this Onion show called “A Game of Thrones” and it’s a satire of the books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George RR Martin.  Its hysterical.  Nothing on the show makes sense; they have these ham-fisted “twists” that everyone sees coming; dialog is mindless and major characters that people LOVE either 1) never show up or 2) do such lame things that it makes them seem hilarious!  Its the best comedy on TV right now.  

What I liked:

Davos: The Guy Who Says What Everyone is Thinking:  I like Davos a lot because I think it’s a good thing that there is a character who still can be a moral compass without any baggage.  He makes mistakes but he tries to do good.  That’s … refreshing.  But why is he willing to die for a guy – Jon Snow – he barely knows and who is dead? 

Bran’s Dreams:  This could actually be a “what I didn’t like” but I am trying to be less salty.  Watching young-Ned and Young Benjen (I know many Millennials who may not remember who Benjen Stark was- the year was 2011 and it was a strange time, but there was this stark kid named “BenJen” and the show runners used him because he was in the book, but then… FORGOT HE EVER EXISTED!) …

(Oh, btw – who tried to kill Bran after he was crippled?  That was a pretty important moment.  Sorry, the show runners never answered that question for you). 

ANYWAY… watching Bran see Lyanna and interact with that moment was very deep and also subtle.  Well done.  And I also liked the scene because it didn’t see an obvious resurrection that anyone with half a brain would have seen coming. 

Cersei’s Humanity: They are doing a great job in exposing the nuances behind Cersei which, I must say, are deep, convincing, believable and well-earned.  I think Headey is doing a tremendous job. And in many ways, Cersei in the show is a more compelling character than Cersei in the book. 

I also liked the scene because Myrcella stayed dead.  The scene didn’t foolishly make a character come back to life. Because that’s fucking stupid. 

The Security at Myrcella’s Funeral:  So … the priest can just let in whoever he wants?  And they just get in?  Do they still have gold-cloaks?  I mean, it’s a good scene because Jaime was in it and he’s, basically, one of the few characters who is not 1) excruciating, 2) doing stupid things that amount to “buys work” and 3) has real emotional investment.  But … just cave the Sparrow’s head in; that insufferable, self-righteous asshole.  Okay, I liked watching the scene and the interplay but I find the Sparrow’s power to be unreasonable and unrealistic.  And yes, I know there are dragons in the universe.  But, again, at least Myrcella did not come back to life like other dumb characters. 

Tyrion’s Contractually Obligated Scene: Hey, look its Tyrion.  And Dragons.  We put two great tastes that taste great together!  Please forgive us for everything that happened elsewhere in this episode. 

What I didn’t Like:

Roose Bolton’s death: This goes with my constant complaint about the way the show is currently being run: whenever there is a stumbling block in the story; whenever there a slow point OR a conflict point, the show’s “out” is to IGNORE the conflict and just … kill a character.  Because that’s what they did. They didn’t know what to do with Roose, so the show-runners just killed him.  No conflict; no big moment; no pay-off.  Just dead.

Now, what about all the people who supported roose?  What about his bannermen?  His retainers?  His guards and heavies?  Did psycho-sauce Ramsey Snow-Bolton walk up to EVERY SINGL one of thiose guys with that creepy smile on his face and his “rapey” eyes and say “Hey, guy-who-has-always-been-loyal-to-my-father-since-the-Trident – let’s assassinate my father!  And you can trust me!  Look at my crazy eyes and my fucking creepy face!  And the way I am killing people arbitrarily and capriciously!  I’m just a more vicious Tywin!” 

See, the problem is that at LEAST when Lord Frey or Tywin or ANYONE ELSE killed a major character – there was a reason!  That they did it with some level of gain for others.  When Tywin killed Robb others MAY have found it uncomfortable… but at the very least he could show it was better for everyone- end a war, kill a traitor, make peace, secure the realm… and it your name is Lord Frey, you get to be the Lord of the Riverlands. 

What is it that Crazy-eyed Ramsey said or did or was able to secure for those who GAINED under Roose?  What could he do for them?  Why would they NOT … KILL HIM?! 

Answer?  Who knows…? 

Roose Bolton was a great character and he should have been better handled than “Okay-we-don’t-know-what-to-do-here-let’s-have-Ramsey-kill-him.” But, hey, at least Roose Bolton won’t stupidly come back to life. 

The Dumbest Scene In the Franchise: This is not hyperbole.  Lady Walda’s death is the stupidest, most empty, most vapid scene in the history of the show.  That includes every Shea scene; that includes the Dorne scenes; everything that happened on the Iron Isles all of it.  Walda’s death was the show’s ham-fisted move to try to remind us how dangerous and vicious this world is.  Okay.  We knew that.  Couldn’t just kill her off stage?  No, we have to see it? 

Ramsey: Lady Walda, you just gave birth and in no condition to walk around.  So of course I called you out here on a cold winter’s day. 

Lady Walda: I know, m’lord.  Its not suspicious at all.  I just went through many hours of labor and I’m completely exhausted, but here I am! 

LW: Of course, m’lord!  In no way am I hesitant about having the bastard of my husband hold my child; because in the North, we ladies bare absolutely no suspicion of bastards; its not like for the first two seasons IT AS DRILLED INTO THE VIEWERS HEADS that bastards are not trusted; and its not like Lady Stark’s personal struggles with Jon Snow are not a major sub-theme running throughout this story!  Here is my 30-minute old child! 

Ramsey: (takes hold of child between his mandible-claw-like appendages) He looks delicious- I mean, healthy.  So, lets go to the kennels; a room my father has never ever been ever and lets hang out there for a bit.  (gives child back)

(They go into the kennel. The kennel must stink like dog-shit so she should know they are going to a kennel).

LW: My, I have no problem AT ALL with my new-born child being in a kennel with wild dogs.  Especially when I have obviously heard tails of these dogs chasing women through the countryside and eating them.  Nope!  No concerns at all. 

Ramsey: (Unlocks kennel doors)  I want to say that I have tricked you!  IT IS I WHO IS NOW THE LORD OF –

LW: Lord of Winterfell?  Yes, Ramsey we all know it.  Even I’m not that stupid.  I just have to now uselessly beg for my life- AFTER I have been locked in this room with you… (clears throat) No, please, Ramsey; please not my baby!

Ramsey:  No, Let me do something so fucking void of consciousness that its amazing nobody gives a shit; I will feed you to my wild dogs

LW: (clearly looking off-stage, a sense of doubt crossing her face) “Wait … so … you’re not going to do this off-stage?  No, you are really going to kill me so people hear me scream as the dogs eat me alive?  Really?  This was the best we could do? 

LW: (Sigh) Okay, Ramsey; I get that.  I get that we live in a foul, horrid time and that people’s lives are meaningless.  But dow e HAVE to listen to the bones crunch down on my flesh as I scream for my life in horror?  And don’t I have people sworn to me who may have been here to prevent this catastrophe?  No?  Fuck this is so dumb!

LW: (As dog clamps down on her neck) True; it would be worse if I was a major character who died and was suddenly brought back to life, after the show cashed in on the spectacle of my death.  That would be very lame.

(scene)

Ned’s Death Would Have Been Worse: So, lets just get to it- Jon Snow’s revival.  Stupid, very obvious; totally destroys the mythology that what is dead in the show stays dead; ruins the narrative.  And we all saw it coming.  Like 1000 miles away.  God it was terrible. 

Think back to when you saw the end of the first season (or if you are one of us “insufferable book readers,” when you read) Ned’s death.  You were stunned, right?  I mean, you were in UTTER SHOCK!  I mean, there are You Tube vids of fans Reacting to the shock. 

Like here.  

Seriously, there is a play-list of 50 reactions to this.  Grown adults scream in horror. They cry.  Like if their cat died or something.   Its an amazing accomplishment for TV and GoT.  (We won’t even TALK about the Red Wedding). 

Now… IMAGINE… how you felt when you read/saw Jon Snow dying.  And how UTTERLY PREDICTABLE IT WAS THAT HE WOULD COME BACK!  And how void of emotion it was; lame; silly; … HOW UTTERLY PEDESTRIAN IT WAS!  How it was almost something (GASP) Network TV would do! 

Think about how far we have come since “Ned Dead at Baelor’s” to “Jon Snow just coming  back to life because … magic!”  Imagine if the scenes had been reversed; imagine if, for the story, the series STARTED OUT with Jon Snow’s death and immediate resurrection then ended with Ned Stark’s death?  We wouldn’t care!  Why?  Because everyone would just assume that Ned would come back to life; because that’s what shitty sci-fi series do!  They Trick the reader/viewer into believing the character is dead so they can get that HUGE payoff and reader cred, then pull a “switch-a-roo!” and, hazzah!  The character is not dead.  Lame.  Super lame. 

And that’s what this show is now.  Its bringing back crowd favorites while it kills everyone else because it doesn’t know what to do with them.  The show has no idea what its doing anymore. 

So Now It Ends:  The teaser at the end has the scene at the Tower of Joy and it looks great.  Why?

Because the ToJ was a scene that GRRM wrote; not the show runners.  The Show runners are GREAT at creating and recreating stuff that GRRM already created.  They do a great job at putting on screen what he already put on paper.  The show –runners suck-out-loud at doing anything on their own that requires them having to create or interpret.  They are bad at it. 

That’s why that last scene is there in the teaser- it’s a plea; an ardent cry from the show runners top the viewers saying “See?  We still have the books!  We can still make this work?!  Its not terrible!”

Its terrible.

Anyway… here is a compilation of people reacting to the Red Wedding-   the best part of the series; it shows viewers invested in characetrs and literally grieving over them.  The show has lost that entirely becayusbecauseon’t have the books to draw from.  You will never see anything like this from the show ever again, because the show is not good. 

Brilliant, and sadly so true, unfortunately you are totally correct, the show that used to be good when they copied what they saw in the books is not what it used to be. And somehow I suspect that they will never hit the heights again unless they could somehow kidnap the  author  and force him at knifepoint to write the episodes for them again, maybe they could get super Ramsay sue to do it for them, he is super evil villainy enough to pull it off!

Edited by Neds Secret

7 hours ago, MercyTheBlindUglyLittleCat said:

Brienne only said "a man," which given the significance of The Hound, and specifically the significance to Sansa, this is a huge and nonsensical omission. Brienne has no idea about Sansa's relationship with The Hound, so its nonsensical from a character POV for her to omit that when it being The Hound would be significant information to just about anyone. She fought the guy as well, in very brutal fashion. The fact that she doesn't namedrop is only explainable by the meta-narrative factor that the writers don't want to have to deal with Sansa's natural reaction to that information within the context of that scene. They want her to know Arya is alive, but not that she was with The Hound, so they contrive to have Brienne only say half of the story.

Yeah I guess you're right. In my mind Brienne didn't knew the Hound. In some way I was right, because I checked the scene and she doesn't, but podrick does and tells her (well actually he says 'sander clegane, the hound' in general, not specific to Brienne). 

So yeah, she knew and she should've said it. And I think you're right that they tried to avoid Sansa's reaction about it. But I guess if you would asked the writers, they would probably explain it as Brienne protecting Sansa from the truth. 

2 hours ago, Attitude said:

Yeah I guess you're right. In my mind Brienne didn't knew the Hound. In some way I was right, because I checked the scene and she doesn't, but podrick does and tells her (well actually he says 'sander clegane, the hound' in general, not specific to Brienne). 

So yeah, she knew and she should've said it. And I think you're right that they tried to avoid Sansa's reaction about it. But I guess if you would asked the writers, they would probably explain it as Brienne protecting Sansa from the truth. 

Yeah who knows what the writers would say. But I think even the fact that she had a brutal biting (literally) brawl with the "man" with Arya... that alone should have been mentioned, but as we agree, the writers didn't want to deal with the obvious follow up reaction from Sansa. To them, the point of the scene is to let Sansa know that Arya is alive, and that's it.

27 minutes ago, MercyTheBlindUglyLittleCat said:

Yeah who knows what the writers would say. But I think even the fact that she had a brutal biting (literally) brawl with the "man" with Arya... that alone should have been mentioned, but as we agree, the writers didn't want to deal with the obvious follow up reaction from Sansa. To them, the point of the scene is to let Sansa know that Arya is alive, and that's it.

And that, of course, is the most important point of this scene.

Maybe they listened to some viewers complaining about the Sansa scene from S05 and decided that there has been enough bad situations for her. Because it is very out of character for Brienne. 

Edited by Attitude
clarification

13 hours ago, Rockroi said:

What I liked:

What I didn’t Like:

Answer?  Who knows…? 

(scene)

Like here.  

Its terrible.

BRAVO!

13 hours ago, Rockroi said:

(scene)

Loved your post, but this part is absolutely priceless.  Great way to start the morning! :cheers: