Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After all the deviations from books, this felt like a book-reference heavy episode. (See what the 'faithful adaptation' has come down to).

>> Lyanna, and how good she is at riding, hints at her knowing how to fight.

>> Bran all grown-up. I wish he could walk again and be King in the North/Lord of Winterfell again. He was speaking on behalf of all fans when he said 'Can't we stay a little longer?' at Winterfell.

>> Theon was most emotional when he said 'Robb, who I betrayed'. I half-hoped him to say 'I should have died with him there'/

>> The way the scene shifted to that magnificent view of Pyke just after Theon saying 'Home'. Euron is awesome! Glad they kept one good line in - The first storm and the last. Also the part about people praying when they see his sails.

>> Sansa's first true smile since season snowcastle scene from S4, and glad it happens when thinking about Arya. Sophie was great in playing it subtle.

>> Tyrion reminiscing upon his childhood dreams. Fixed the effect of silly lines like "I'm friends with your mother" - Even human kids are not gonna fall for that! Except perhaps Sansa. I hope Tyrion and the dragons become bros. That moment when he unchained the first dragon to turn around and see the other dragon inches from his face - It was so much like Quentyn, but with happier outcomes.

>> I'm glad Melisandre did not kiss Jon to life. Makes me hope his change will be less like Beric or Lady Stoneheart.

>> Davos Seaworth is the Protector of Bastards.

>> Next time on GoT - Tower of Joy hype!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RadSam said:

I don't remember the GNC being about Rickard. It's been a long time since I've read it all the way through though.

Edited my post, I was mixing some things up.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sandpiper said:

I dont see much evidence of departure from the books, and never have. Mostly reorganising and some cuts. Possibly if there had been certainty about wanting a longer series from the start there might have been fewer cuts, but that is not how the business works. It is just possible that series 6 will be reinserting material they had thought would be cut, but I think more likely it is just reorganised to make it more presentable in TV series chunks of the size they wanted.

The departure from the book storyline has always been overexagerrated IMO

Take the POV characters from the first book and the ONLY one who has had significant deviation from their book plot is Sansa. For everyone else it has been the same locations and plot elements, simplified at times but the same.

ASOIAF has grown in the telling and many of the elements introduced after the core story was started have been great. Book Jamie's ark as one obvious example. Were they part of the original three book vision though?, that is the question?. Seven or eight 1,000 page books could  never be faithfully adapted to the screen. It is an entirely different story if they are trying to adapt an earlier, shorter, story. 

Personally I think we will get a story reasonable faithful to the original POV characters with everything else just put on the screen if it is useful, adds some time with a popular character, or just as filler.

 

Edited by JagLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hos the Hostage said:

After all the deviations from books, this felt like a book-reference heavy episode. (See what the 'faithful adaptation' has come down to).

>> Lyanna, and how good she is at riding, hints at her knowing how to fight.

>> Bran all grown-up. I wish he could walk again and be King in the North/Lord of Winterfell again. He was speaking on behalf of all fans when he said 'Can't we stay a little longer?' at Winterfell.

>> Theon was most emotional when he said 'Robb, who I betrayed'. I half-hoped him to say 'I should have died with him there'/

>> The way the scene shifted to that magnificent view of Pyke just after Theon saying 'Home'. Euron is awesome! Glad they kept one good line in - The first storm and the last. Also the part about people praying when they see his sails.

>> Sansa's first true smile since season snowcastle scene from S4, and glad it happens when thinking about Arya. Sophie was great in playing it subtle.

>> Tyrion reminiscing upon his childhood dreams. Fixed the effect of silly lines like "I'm friends with your mother" - Even human kids are not gonna fall for that! Except perhaps Sansa. I hope Tyrion and the dragons become bros. That moment when he unchained the first dragon to turn around and see the other dragon inches from his face - It was so much like Quentyn, but with happier outcomes.

>> I'm glad Melisandre did not kiss Jon to life. Makes me hope his change will be less like Beric or Lady Stoneheart.

>> Davos Seaworth is the Protector of Bastards.

>> Next time on GoT - Tower of Joy hype!

I actually think that the show might have chosen to do that on purpose, re: Jon/Mel.  If Mel gives him 'the kiss' then we have the awkward moments afterward... would be a little cheesy to have him wake while she's kissing him, and it would be a bit of awkward silence for the time between the kiss and his regaining consciousness.  I think it works well to have it be a bit like a cross between a death ritual (bathing the body, trimming hair for his view-in-state) and a resurrection ritual.  It differs from Thoros' revival of Beric, which is confusing, but I liked the scene's sort of subdued atmosphere.  It also highlights Mel's psuedo-ongoing crisis of faith.  Her whispering 'please' to the Lord of Light was a nice subtle nod that she is indeed acting on/with tentative hope/faith, but genuine in her request to the LoL to grant Jon a second life or however you want to characterize it.  No tricks, no masking any internal doubt with overt confidence, just her and her prayer.  Would've been really neat to have subtitles for her Valyrian, but not necessary.

This then also allows for the books to remain unspoiled should GRRM go a different route with Jon's resurrection.  I felt it was done simply and that it shouldn't have been too overstated even though it was a huge moment.  I had no problem with how the scene was done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those freaking out about Davos chillin' with Mel: patience, young padawans. We have seen in one of the trailers, Davos standing out in a snowy place, staring down at something that looks like a tiny pile of charred wood. (How he gets there I will be very interested to see, but never mind.)

 

I'm more interested in a certain object he is rumored to find in the woodpile: a little carved stag, perhaps? Like the one he made for a certain little girl? And which we saw her hold in her hand in a rather unsubtle close-up as she walked to the pyre?It is known by the tribes on Reddit that he will find it just like Jorah finds the Ring of Loth--er, the Ring of the Dothraki Sea! (That Ring was found on Reddit, long before Ser Jorah ever found it.) Then he will know for true what his heart should  have told him before he chose to leave Stannis...

 

(BTW, people in the Ranters thread have a name for this object carved from a special kind of magical wood  that does not burn in a pyre: "Targaryen Wood" :):)

 

EDIT: It is also known that Kit hated those curly locks and wanted to be rid of them asap. And Dave and Dan were happy to oblige! I guess in their script, Jon was like Samson and now that his locks are gone, they were a lot of his power, I guess Dave and Dan will cite the Old Testament in their "Inside the Episode" for this, and this is proof of their Emmy-writing genius! Ok I'LL STOP ..lmao

Edited by Morna The Maid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG this was such an unintentionally funny episode - first Roose, the king of the trolls, dies in the most predictable way possible and then you get the whole your curls or your life, Jon. I guess you can't bring back the dead without a sacrifice D and Jon's hair has almost legendary status.ssxy do, you shall be missed. Oh and I suppose Theon is going to swim his horse to the Pyke, because what even is a island?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

Hate to break it to you, but that 'gift' is probably

  Reveal hidden contents

Rickon Stark [spoiler/]

How would he get Rickon from Skagos ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Maid So Fair said:

OMG this was such an unintentionally funny episode - first Roose, the king of the trolls, dies in the most predictable way possible and then you get the whole your curls or your life, Jon. I guess you can't bring back the dead without a sacrifice D and Jon's hair has almost legendary status.ssxy do, you shall be missed. Oh and I suppose Theon is going to swim his horse to the Pyke, because what even is a island?

What ? Maybe to get to a harbour ? Damn, some people are just narrow-minded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rickon isn't going to be on Skagos. According to the show-verse, Osha took Rickon to the Umbers, who are supposedly the Starks' greatest allies/bannermen (the SmallJon died at the RW and all). But in the show, the Umbers will betray the Starks once they hear Roose is dead (???) and hand Rickon over to Ramsey.

The show is the show, dontcha get it? The Starks exist not as a plot point to rally around, but to betray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pandagod said:

How would he get Rickon from Skagos ?

In the show Rickon went to the Umbers

Edited by Barty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barty said:

In the books Rickon went to the Umbers

ohh right forgot bout that , gets messy sometimes keeping track on both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This show has turned into a game of pin the tail on the donkey after drinking a bottle of gin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, desire said:

This show has turned into a game of pin the tail on the donkey after drinking a bottle of gin

You or the donkey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

What ? Maybe to get to a harbour ? Damn, some people are just narrow-minded.

Which one? The one controlled by the Bolton llies the Manderlys? Because no one in the North hates Theon now that Sansa's forgiven him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Holymoly said:

You or the donkey?

Last time I gave donkey gin I got five years good behaviour bond 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gift received by Ramsay is not Theon because (i) We have seen Theon and Asha together in the trailers. (ii) Ramsay is not gonna send Reek to Asha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I´m quite glad they didn´t let Ollie kill anyone else, when he charged at Tormund i was like please no! Wonder what will happen to him though.I would suppose Thorne will be executed next episode? not sure if the NW would execute a child. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an idea where most of the show was going but was still holding my breath. Best episode is quite some time. The roose death was absolutely horrible though. How many more deaths like that are there going to be? it kinda takes the edge of the red wedding when 3 characters go like that in two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×