Ran

22 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I'm definitely pro book over show. But the pettiness I've read in some of these posts is ridiculous. I for one hold out hope that GRRM will finish both Winds & Spring. Thus I hope the show deviates rather far from the books from this point forward because I want the books to be fresh and unspoiled when they do come out. It's clear we'll get a lot of deaths this season because of budget cuts. I'm cool with that if we truly only have roughly a season and a half left after this one. Let's streamline down to the characters that really matter. One nitpick I did agree with though was the color of young Lyanna's hair. She looked to close to the weakest Starks/Tullys (Cat & Sansa) then the "True" Northern Starks Jon, Arya, & Bran. For me this was a damn good episode. The one I waited nearly a year for. And it looks like next week will be just as good. ToJ coming. I'm hyped. 

Hair color an indicator of strength or weakness?  TV-Ned had dark blonde to brown hair.  TV-Bran has brown hair; book-Bran had red hair.  I don't really care that much what TV-Lyanna's hair color is, except it should be darker than Lannister-blonde or Targaryen-white/silver.

Why would they split up Theon and Sansa?  Those two interacting was my favorite part of the season.  It doesn't make any sense that he would want to go home.  What does he plan on doing there?  He should regret ever having gone back to the Iron Islands and wish that he had died at the Red Wedding.  He should absolutely never leave Sansa's side until she's safely with Jon and then accept his beheading. 

Now he may be as useless as Jaime was in Dorne. Or worse, Ramsay will capture him again. 

How will he get to the Iron Islands anyway?  Will he swim?  What a dumb idea to go there.  (Maybe he'll go back to Ramsay and say "Winterfell is my home")

Aside from that, I liked everything else.  Good episode.  But the Theon/Sansa storyline was the one I felt most strongly about.   And that's the one that is ending for reasons that don't make any sense to me.

Edited by Lothar

Hey guys, I've never resurrected somebody before, but I'm sure if I chant some random shit and give him a haircut and a shower he will definitely come back to life. Ill burn the hair because I really wouldn't want to make a mess of this lovely chamber. What a thrilling resurrection :/

Hey guys, I've served gratefully and loyally my entire life to a man and I think something really bad might have happened to him but I'm not going to ask any questions. Especially not to the person who I distrust and was with him last. Also there was his daughter who taught me how to read and who I care especially for, but shes not important. I'm more concerned about this guy I met for 2 seconds who died, and I'm going to try to convince the woman who wanted to burn the little girl I loved to save him. I am totally in character. :/

Hey guys, I've never seen a dragon before and I know their super dangerous but I'm going to go down to the cell where they are chained, because they are known to be extremely violent, and say hello. I know they wont hurt me because I read in a book that detailed creatures from over a hundred years ago that they finished their grade 10, and will know I mean to help them. Just in case, I will bring my eunuch friend, who has never seen a dragon either, for protection and definitely not the woman who we just established  has some trust with the dragons. OUU I told them a happy story and was very gentle like; they definitely liked me. And when i unchained them they decided to go sleep in the cave instead of leaving. I guess I used my saintlyness to make them obedient. Tomorrow I will go back down and riding lessons will commence. I wonder what cock joke I'll use tomorrow. :/

Hey guys, you might not know me but I'm actually a big zombie. So my job is usually to guard my queen Cersei. Shes so awesome. On my time off, I wander around the streets trying to find people who are making fun of her, and then I smash their head into walls. FUN :/

Hey guys, I am actually more than one person. I am the hive mind of the Night's Watch. I was like tote's angry when I found out about the lord commanders murder. I definitely know nothing about the white walkers or the wights who get summoned when people die north of the wall. What army is coming to kill us all ? All I know is those damn wildlings are so annoyingly hairy. So when Thorne said he did it and i was like "tote's cool" I'm totally down to kill all the other brothers who decided to take the lord commanders body out of the freezing cold. But then the wildling's came and i was like "totes cool" Thorne is bad. So now I'm totally gonna guard Jon's body too !!! This is fun !!! :/

8 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

I dont understand why the Umbers would fight for the Boltons. GreatJon was Robb's most loyal bannerman.

Unless they are simply because the GreatJon is a captive at the Twins.

Maybe part of the GNC? The same way the Manderlys were shown to be supporting the Boltons.

31 minutes ago, Faint said:

Some of the North.

Hide contents

The rumors are that Umber and Karstark fight for the Boltons, Hornwood and Mormont fight for Jon.

makes sense that the whole North isnt retarded, though Roose hinted at the Manderlys too this episode. But isnt the whole reason Rickon goes to the Umbers that they could be trusted? And if they cant be trusted then what the f*ck have they been doing this whole time? Roose reached Winterfell ages ago. Walda got married, pregnant and had a baby - implying at least 9 months have passed. The Umbers in the meantime are just sitting around waiting to betray the Starks right when Roose Bolton dies. Brilliant ploy - lets join the Boltons right when their only leader with any brain is dead. 

Lothar, Theon and Sansa have to part because Sansa has to get busy with taking over yet another book character's plot line (yep, those pesky budget cuts, though HBO has tons to spend on dragons and CGI crowds.) She has to head to the Riverlands with Brienne next,  and settle into her role as Lady Stoneheart. We know this because so far, 100%  of the Reddit spoilers for Season 6 have been spot on, script leaks are accurate.

And when Sansa becomes LSH...if you remember that plot point as it regards Jamie and Brienne, and the Jamie/Brienne relationship that so many show-only watchers remember from Season 3...let the confusion begin!

I too hate to see this budding friendship end, it was a "Eowyn/Faramir in the Houses of Healing" thing, you know, "the same hand brought us together that tore so much apart" moment. But like Missy and Grey Worm, it could never be...(geez, what IS it with Dave and Dan and their "shipping" non-book couples where the guy is a eunuch? HUH? JUST KIDDING.....:):)

(Speaking as if I were a total Unsullied here, which I'm not of course)

Now if they can only have Jamie eventually kill Mad Queen Cersei in full-on "Valonqar" mode when she burns down KL in Episode 10, the same way he killed Mad King Aerya when he threatened to do the same thing, according to the show-verse season 3 bathtub scene...and Sansa eventually meet up with the Hound...

BTW...VERY interesting that the showrunners set that one up possibly too, with Brienne's "that man with Arya" thing. They didn't drop the Hound altogether, but they didn't want Sansa to find out that Sandor was alive yet either. Because if she did, she'd drop everything and want to find him. They stuck to GRRM's canon on that one, mostly b/c he wrote the Blackwater episode. But he had other interaction with her too. So I have reason to hope that show Sansa still dreams of him, even though there is no indication of it. Of course Brienne doesn't know that Sandor would be important to Sansa, so no reason to mention him to Sansa by name. But Dave and Dan, by calling our attention to the Hound in a Sansa scene, even indirectly, when they have dropped so much else...I have hope that they at least want that storyline to go in Season 7 the way George wants it to.

I really don't understand the hate. If you hate the show, stop watching. If you hate an episode, don't just say it sucks, but at least bring some arguments why the show sucks.

My opinion:

Great episode! I didn't hate the first episode, because a show requires some time to build up. They skipped some parts in the previous episode, but this episode really picked up the pace! 

Yeah, some things could've been better played out, but I really think they want to wrap this show up in 7 seasons. So I guess there will be less talking, less (irrelevant) screen time for some people and more action. Not bad for the show IMO, but I guess if we look back when it's done, they could've done better (season 5 could've missed some scene's which could've been filled with some season 6 stuff). 

Back to this episode, some short remarks:

Bran: 
Great stuff on a young Ned (and benjen), with some lyanna stuff. Really excited to see more stuff about that (ToJ in episode 3 according to the teaser, I guess we will know why Jon has to live!) ALso, Bran isn't going to stay in the cave! Awesome!

Davos/Thorne/Olly/Ed/Wildings/Wun Wun:
Loved this scene, it was shown in the trailers and teasers already, and Ed showing up with the wildlings wasn't a suprise, but I loved it none the less. Funny to see that only Thorne and Olly were picked up (or were there others?)

Kinglanding stuff:
Tommen/Cersei scene was nice. I love the question about the 'shroud' (yes it was gold). Jaime + HS is going to become fun too. 

Arya:
Pot doesn't move forward as fast as I expected. I guess there will be (a lot) more screentime for her. Well, that's never a bad thing IMO!

Boltons:
I actually didn't expect Roose to be killed by Ramsay already. The Walda scene was a reminder how big of an A-hole Ramsay is.

Sansa:
Hurray she knows Arya is alive! Sansa letting Theon go isn't very smart IMO, but I guess it was required for the plot/Theon's story arc. 

Jon:
As expected (I guessed episode #3), he lives! Not a great scene, but they did what was required! 

3 minutes ago, RadSam said:

Maybe part of the GNC? The same way the Manderlys were shown to be supporting the Boltons.

And how would that play out? I'm not familiar with the details of the GNC

9 minutes ago, Attitude said:

And how would that play out? I'm not familiar with the details of the GNC

The Northern lords working together (in secret) to overthrow the Boltons (and the Freys I believe) and have a Stark ruling the North again.

There is a lot more to do with Robb's will legitimizing Jon, but it has never been mentioned or hinted at in the show, so I won't get into that.

I know they can't be truthful to the books anymore (which sucks in some aspects, like this whole centering on supervillain Ramsey instead of an interesting political struggle in the North, or supermom Cersei instead of the prideful piss poor Game of Thrones player Cersei from the books)

Couldn't they at least be truthful to their own ugly baby? Did they forgot Melisandre knew about Beric ressurection by kiss of fire? Why couldn't they just make Melisandre kiss him with fire? Man Melisandre is supposed to be a succubus with fervor to R'hllor and booming with confidence being at the wall with amplified powers. They should make her all fireworks and power to pass the page on Stannis. 

Loved the Tyrion scene with the Dragons. If there's one guy in this saga that understands what dragons are meant to be, it's Tyrion. If there should be one guy to unleash the Dragons on the world in the absence of Dany, it's Tyrion. Always keep you dragon close, he'd say.

Wanted more of Bran. Instead of wasting time with Melisandre and Cersei's crying around, they should give us more Bran.

Edited by Ironborn Hero

3 hours ago, BlackwaterPark said:

I gasped more with Roose's death than with Jon's rebirth. Probably because we all saw the latter one coming.

Now... The Warden Of The North dies poisoned by their enemies just as his new son is born... then this child and his mother mysteriously disappear too. Can Ramsay really get away with this? Nobody among Bolton's bannermen will think something is wrong? Why would Lord Karstark allow it without saying anything? Seems really weak so far.

That said, I hope the famous "episode 9" of this season consists completely of Bran's flashbacks. Can't get enough of those.

ok - I'm several pages back, so forgive me if this has been discussed to death, but.... Ramsay's behavior seems obvious and SOP for him. Of course he was going to kill Dad, even if it was a girl. A girl means Walda can have more children, which could be male. The possibility of being usurped went up the moment Roose married. Roose signed his own death warrant the moment he married .... anyone, then expedited it when he legitimized Ramsay.

As for Walda and the baby? Suicide. She just gave birth, her husband is dead. She went into the kennels, closed the gate, and released the hounds. What does it matter? Everyone at Winterfell knows who they work for. The Boltons are insane. They flay people. Who there would be shocked by anything that happened this episode, enough to attempt to report it, and to who?

Ep 9 I believe is going to be the Wildings vs the Boltons for Winterfell. 

and other mentions I've read so far... 

Regarding Davos talking nicely to Mel: How would Davos know details about Shireen's death? Who would have told him? The deserters? I don't believe there's anyone else at CB aside from Mel that knows, and I don't see her telling him.

Loved the episode. All of it. 

Loved the opening. 

Loved Edd being a rock star.

Loved that all it took at Castle Black was Wun Wun smashing brains on wall and floor, and only Olly acted like a hero of the NW, because he's a fraking child with dreams, and no perspective.

Loved. The standoff with Cersei, and her scene with Tommen. Lena is so brilliant.

Loved FrankenMountain smashing that trash talker's head in.

Loved Dad Jamie.

Loved Jonathan Pryce and the threat. He's so perfect in that role. Seriously best casting (everyone in the show) on TV - or pretty much ever. Nina Gold, please adopt me.

Loved Theon and how smart the dragons are!

Loved Sansa hugging Theon.

Loved Davos and Mel - talking. 

Loved, "Please."

Love that Ghost woke up.

Love that he's alone. Naked isn't bad either. :wub: Comedy might ensue - there's been a lot of brilliant humor so far this season, and I'm loving it.

23 minutes ago, RadSam said:

The Northern lords working together (in secret) to overthrow the Boltons (and the Freys I believe) and have a Stark ruling the North again.

There is a lot more to do with Robb's will legitimizing Jon, but it has never been mentioned or hinted at in the show, so I won't get into that.

I actually knew this much and I know the theory about the 'legitimacy letter'. 

I just didn't expect them to play some sort of 'spy.' I've also seen some people expected them to turn on the Boltons during the wildlings/boltons fight. However, that doesn't make sense IMO. I mean, if you really want to screw the Boltons, just kill Ramsay right now.

However, I don't buy the Manderly story. The Karstarks joining the Boltons seems possible, but I don't understand the Manderly's. But maybe that's because of the books.

But wasn't the GNC theory about Rickard Stark? 

Edit: Checked it myself, but that was the 'southern ambitions theory'

Edited by Attitude

I`m more of a book person, than a show lover, but they had it almost spot on.

Tyrions`s eunuch jokes are getting boring and some of the dialogues were lame. Also didn`t like the changes like, Hodor`s name.I mean it was not necessary at all.

But it was still an awesome episode. I`m happy :)

Crazy how now Jon is revived, people want more and more. For example, "oh please DD bring back Jon Snow. If you do than we won't ask anymore of you!" And now that he is back, people eNd more to be done or else they will rate it a "1" lol it's funny how people are never satisfied. 

9 minutes ago, Attitude said:

I actually knew this much and I know the theory about the 'legitimacy letter'. 

I just didn't expect them to play some sort of 'spy.' I've also seen some people expected them to turn on the Boltons during the wildlings/boltons fight. However, that doesn't make sense IMO. I mean, if you really want to screw the Boltons, just kill Ramsay right now.

However, I don't buy the Manderly story. The Karstarks joining the Boltons seems possible, but I don't understand the Manderly's. But maybe that's because of the books.

But wasn't the GNC theory about Rickard Stark? 

Isn't playing 'spy' kind of what the Manderly's are doing? And I don't really see it as playing 'spy'. I see it more as getting in close with the enemy so it's easier to take them out.

I'd hate if they swapped sides halfway through the battle. I'd rather see some subtle, little hints about someone being on the inside then bam! Ramsay is dead.

I don't remember the GNC being about Rickard. It's been a long time since I've read it all the way through though.

8 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

I`m more of a book person, than a show lover, but they had it almost spot on.

Tyrions`s eunuch jokes are getting boring and some of the dialogues were lame. Also didn`t like the changes like, Hodor`s name.I mean it was not necessary at all.

But it was still an awesome episode. I`m happy :)

Changing the name is understandable. It's the same as changing Robert to Robin, Asha to Yara. If there are too many characters with the same/similar names, viewers will get confused. 

5 hours ago, Donaldys I Trumpagar said:

The show is proving that the books, as they are, are truly unfilmable. Can anyone imagine if the show tried to keep the  Aegon storyline, or Tyrion's utterly pointless meandering through Essos, or the near-total absence of Sansa for the last 16 years (No Sansa for nearly three seasons, imagine that.)

I could have seen them doing Aegon by being under Doran's protection the whole time while removing all the Essos part.

Edited by farerb

4 hours ago, King Onion Knight said:

Like when theres a bad episode, I will shit on it. I know the show has issues, but this was a good episode in my eyes. No point in crying over spilled milk some of the elitist fans are annoying af. 

Yep

We have had about six complaints about Davos being respectful to Melisandre, which is only a plot hole if Davos is telepathic. If he finds out that she burned Shireen and his response is to shrug his shoulders THEN you can talk of a plot hole.

Decent episode I thought let down only by a few scenes (like the opening one)

3 hours ago, RadSam said:

Changing the name is understandable. It's the same as changing Robert to Robin, Asha to Yara. If there are too many characters with the same/similar names, viewers will get confused. 

This is the first time i realize that they changed Robert to Robin in the show lol. I haven`t been paying attention. 

I understand what you say, yeah, but still it annoys me a little. But if they keep on making episodes like this, i won`t mind little changes :)