How would you rate episode 602?

Ran

How would you rate episode 602?   

547 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10

Episode was epic. Very well done across the board. Fantastic job doing Jon's revival. They kept everything so consistent with how Thoros did it the whole way back in season 3. Had some nice nods to book readers as well. 

PS. If you go up to you're account settings there is an option to ignore users posts. Very helpful for removing the trolls here who try to ruin these boards by giving episodes like this a 1. Won't mention names but I added a few just now and it works well. There posts just don't show up in your view of the thread. It's a shame mods haven't banned them already but at least this option is available. 

A solid 8 points. Most of season one was better, and some of season four, but beyond that this episode was above most of the rest. If they keep the season focused on the wall and King's Landing and sideline the Dorne fiasco, there are probably more eights and nines to be had. The worst part was Ramsey's "I killed lord Bolton, now I'm lord Bolton"-moment, it seemed way too easy. For a more in-depth analysis, check this out: https://promethiumwings.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/a-review-of-s6e2-of-game-of-thrones/

Walda and her baby's deaths compared to Roose's death were absolutely gruesome (this while Stannis' death would supposedly have been gratuitous).

Tyrion stealing yet another character's storyline but being so much better successful. I'm sorry but this shit really pissed me off. 

That silly resurrection scene at the end and then of course the big "shock" when everyone had already left the room (how very unexpected). And Kit's acting ... Only a couple of seconds and still so cringeworthy. And Davos suddenly being the biggest Jon fan ever?? 

bonus, "A man", seriously? They couldn't even bother to mention Sandor's name. I guess this shows again that D&D only care about Arya's "bond" with the Hound, but not Sansa's. 

Edited by Lady of Winterfell

For me is a 9,5 out of 10. I understand the plot holes Linda remarks in her synopsis but it has been such a huge episode because after 5 years waiting for GRRM to write WoW this episode has given me hope. Hope in the end of the series.

the episode itself has some plot holes that I hope would be addressed in the future (Jon´s resurrection and roose death were too "easy") but overall visually spectacular and really fast paced.

Not good.

My main gripe is with the illogical way people act up at the wall. Davos, who has not even asked Mel about Stannis, now just wonders if Mel can bring Jon back from the dead, something he's never seen her do before. He also didn't have any reason to involve himself in guarding Jon's body, and nor did Edd and the rest. The only way their actions make sense is if they know they can revive Jon. Of course, they're not supposed to know this. So the show only makes sense if you assume the characters have taken a jaunt through the fourth wall, read the scripts for later episodes, and then gone back to make it all happen.

The random stabbings are also getting very silly and tedious.

Basically I think it was shit.

I've gone up to 8 for this one; there were a lot of positives and relatively few negatives.

Plusses: Lyanna, although they didn't do much with her (yet). Curious about Hodor; just a throwaway detail, or will it turn out signficant in any way?

Practically everything about the Iron Islands, even if the thought that jumped into my head as Balon crossed the bridge was "Balon is an idiot and he's gonna die". Euron was cool and I like the "look" of the Iron Islands.

Jon: The resurrection itself was impressive and gives hope for the books, if they ever get finished. Yes, I do wonder at Davos giving Mel a free pass for Shireen. The Wildlings ugh and grunt a lot.

The dragons were cool. KL is a tad sloppy (and Cersei very whitewashed); as usual, the best bits involve the High Sparrow. Arya ... they're not doing a lot with her, are they? Will she ever warg? Another touching Theon-Arya scene; but I now have a nasty premonition about him.

The body count continues to rise. A pity to lose McElhatton, who was also a tad underused. (My nightmare scenario has no one left alive except Ramsay and the Sand Snakes.)

Yes, the dialogue is not what I'd call brilliant.

Edited by Count Balerion
8 and 6 are different numbers.

I would give it a 7.5 but this poll forces specificity so I went with 8.  The episode gave us content, showed us direction, and moved some stories on to next levels.  I have read some folks complaining about the blah-ness of Jon's resurrection but I think they were damned if they do, damned if they don't.  If it had been a BIG deal with dramatic pauses and musical underscoring, folks would have complained about it as being over the top.  If they did it plain, folks complain that this show actually made a resurrection boring.  I can live with plain.  We still do not know who was resurrected, or rather who will Jon be. 

Yes, some of the hints (Tyrion and the dragons) were ham-handed, and others were cringe-worthy (Ramsay) but I did sofa-cheer for Wun-Wun and I am glad Jon is here (or somebody who looks like Jon is here :-)

Edited by lakin1013

Solid 9, with no substantive caveats. Really great episode. Amazing how so many characters' story-arcs are moving forward at a terrific pace, and yet it didn't feel rushed at all. I was going to list all the things I liked, but I quickly realized it was pretty much everything. Strong murdering the peasant was the only weak note, and only because it seems like he'd have more important places to be.

I hope the confrontation between the Night's Watch and the wildlings goes as well in Winds and isn't just a slaughter. The plot points at the Wall, frankly, just hang together much better in the show than in Dance's butchered ending. The looming conflict between Ramsay and Jon is set up way more satisfyingly this way than with the ridiculous Pink Letter and Shieldhall speech. I think the writers did a pretty good job of untangling that mess -- I wish Martin's editor could have done half as well, or that we could have just waited for him to write the ending the way he wanted.

Melisandre's ritual wasn't exciting, but it was beautifully shot. Davos' theological monologue and the fact that she was successful despite her loss of faith support, in the show at least, that it's all just sorcery with different cultural trappings (religious, in her case).

Edited by Greg B

9/10.

I could nitpick a few things if I wanted,  but I don't really care to.  It did everything it needed to and did most of it well.  The fact that we got the answer to the Jon Snow cliffhanger from the books AND appears to be setting the foundations for resolving several other major issues soon pretty much clinches a high grade for this one. 

A 9 for sure! 
It was a great episode, jam packed and had a bit of everything! 

• A flashback, I'm loving the flashbacks! 

• A bit of Bran's story that I honestly hated watching before but it will get far more interesting with great flashbacks. 

• Bringing the Greyjoys back into the fold, I do like their grittiness. 

• Jamie and high sparrow banter was great to watch, Jamie has his balls back. 

• Tommen owning being weak and seeking his mothers help to "be strong" should start setting up some pretty violent stuff. 

• Arya going back into training. 

• Dragons have been unchained and will be set free, excited to see this! 

• UnGregor showing absolute loyalty for Cercei and thinking absolutely nothing of smushing someones head against a wall because he besmirched her name. I think this is a lead up to much more of that. 

• Nice scene with Sansa and Theon going there own ways and Brianne telling Sansa about Arya, but obviously didn't want to worry her telling her it was the hound as she was happy.. we don't get to see her smile much. 
  • Roose death was shocking, didn't expect it. But now a complete mad man is in power, again interesting set up. 

• A mother and baby death, honestly held my hand up at the tv to block my view but they were kind enough not to show too much. 

• And of course Jon Snow resurrection! It was great I thought, no over the top BS voodoo crap. Was awesome. 

- Only thing that's bothering me is Davos! Not One mention of Stannis or Shereen! Not one jab at Melisandre! Not even a little nod to it like "now I'll never forgive you for what you did to Stannis and Shereen but I know you have powers I've never seen before so at least try and resurrect him" Come on give us Something! 
&
- Tyrion dick jokes are getting tiresome. 

Overall this episode did an Excellent job of setting everything up for this season. A job well done! 

I give it a solid 7. Good episode overall, but the plot between Mel, Davos, and Jon seems way too contrived. Everything else was pretty on point. Can't wait for more Bran visions (ToJ next week!). Really liking the new Sansa storyline, but kind of disappointed Theon is leaving before he's given to a tree...Pyke was good, although I imagined Balon would get a more Vikingesque funeral, didn't like the whole crab cage thing. Looking forward to the crazy shit Euron is going to bring to the series. Enjoyed the scene with Tyrion and the dragons. Tommen and Cersei scene was good. I liked Ramsay's mutiny, pretty much what I expected. Jamie and the High Sparrow was good. The scene with Frankengregor was pretty freaking awesome too. 

I gave it a 6.

Castle Black: Good, except for the 'just in time' trope with the Wildlings.

KL: If Tommen regrets not ordering his men kill the Sparrows, why isn't he doing it now? The Sparrows appearing all around Jamie just as he drew his sword was cheesy, and the High Sparrow bragging about their success was out of character.

Aria: Fine, but not much happened.

Meereen: Some terrible dialogue between Tyrion and Varys. Why does Tyrion think he can form a special bond with the dragons just because he's Dany's friend? Aren't the others in Meereen friends with her as well? And if dragons are supposedly so smart, why did Drogon leave Dany in a mess? I'd love to know how they're going to get the dragons out through those doors.

Sansa: Theon is recovering from his mental traumas far too easily.

Boltons: Horrific, but well written. In character for Ramsey.

Greyjoys: Fine

Castle Black: Jon returned from the dead in the most predictable and boring way possible.

I thought it was better than last week. I gave it an 8/10. I liked the flashback. I saw what I thought was some foreshadowing there regarding Hodor becoming a warrior. Maybe Bran wargs him when Hodor dies. That hint combined with Leaf telling Meera that Bran will not be in the cave forever makes me think Bran become more bold with his warging abilities. We know he will never walk again, but if he can warg anyone he likes or anyone who falls in battle... bad ass. Part of me was thinking that maybe Bran sets out to tell Jon of his parentage after he sees the Tower of Joy flashback. I don't think there should have been a big scar on Willis' (Hodor's) forhead. Oh, and Ned was rough on little Benjen, lol

I wasn't impressed with Roose's death, how easy it was and how shocked he was. The audience should have seen that coming, as well as Roose himself. I don't understand why Walda just didn't walk or run out of the kennels. It didn't appear that it was locked in any way.

Castle Black didn't get as violent as I expected, and at first I was shocked the Watchmen threw down their arms. but after seeing what Wun Wun did to that dude... I don't blame them. I don't understand why Davos would even want Jon resurrected. That doesn't make sense to me. But I'm glad Jon is back. I'm not some hyper Jon fan, but I would like for him to find out who he is before he dies.

I really liked the scene between Sansa and Theon. It was touching. I guess, in a way, she is afraid to be without him.

Wasn't too impressed with the Iron Islands.

I really liked the King's Landing bit. Cersi is going to get Tommen killed by trying to "help" him be strong. I liked to verbal dual between Jaime and the High Sparrow. Looks like Jaime is getting his mojo back, but the Sparrow put it in check real quick like.

They could have put Arrya's first two episodes into the opening episode and left out the Mereen's fleet burning in episode 1.

I liked the scene with Tyrion and the dragons. I was nervous at first, but that went away once the first little burst of fire was not the way it appeared in the trailer. Tyrion is one dsy going to return to westoros on one of those dragons.

Overall I thought this episode was quite a bit more entertaining than last week's episode. There were some things that just didn't make sense to me, though.

Can't wait to hear Ned say, "Now it ends."

4 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Not good.

My main gripe is with the illogical way people act up at the wall. Davos, who has not even asked Mel about Stannis, now just wonders if Mel can bring Jon back from the dead, something he's never seen her do before. He also didn't have any reason to involve himself in guarding Jon's body, and nor did Edd and the rest. The only way their actions make sense is if they know they can revive Jon. Of course, they're not supposed to know this. So the show only makes sense if you assume the characters have taken a jaunt through the fourth wall, read the scripts for later episodes, and then gone back to make it all happen.

The random stabbings are also getting very silly and tedious.

Basically I think it was shit.

It lacks insight more than logic, or perhaps development.

It should not be a leap to assume Davos knows Stannis lost and is dead. Maybe he got one of those Sam news letters, or maybe the entire north knows as news spreads. I think it is safe to assume Davos knows everyone died, he may not want to know how, he may not associate Mel with those deaths at this point and may prefer not to think about what might of happened to Shireen. Or maybe he knows, maybe he knew the moment Stannis sent him away. He did have that look on his face, he did beg to take Shireen and was denied. I think he knows, or has an idea and would rather not speak of it. I think this is something that plays out later as it's only episode 2.

Why did Davos guard Jon's body? It's not a bad question. But Davos found his body when he heard Ghost howling. Davos saw the sign and new his own men killed him. Perhaps the most highly moral character in the books and the show, just did what he saw was right. He may also be distracting himself from your first question. Davos still seems to believe in the fight against the Others, with or without Stannis, he still has a wife, he still family. Davos being Davos he will pretty much do what he feels he has too in order to stop what he believes is coming. He seems to think Jon matters, perhaps he just preferred Jon to Thorne.

Why would Edd defend Jon's body? Edd was not so focused on Jon's body as he was avenging it which was made clear. Edd was sent to get help to stop Thorne, which is what Edd wanted to do and did do. Davos was the one defending his body, those men were doing as he asked and following his plan. It was that or die.

Davos could of left the body outside, though he may have thought it was disrespectful to do so. Davos was more trapped than guarding, and I can understand him no taking Thorne at his word as he just murdered the lord commander and would probably prefer no witnesses. So really he was trapped. After Edd and the Wildlings saved Davos and those men who were loyal to Jon, he went to Mel.

Why would he think maybe Mel could revive Jon? Well it was a maybe, and it's not like he had a ton options. He was basically trapped there. After the dust settled he asked Mel if she could help, he did not know if she could, but he assumed that because she knew magic maybe she could. So he asked. Davos was witness to Mel's most powerful act of magic, the shadow baby. So he did know for a fact that she could do major magic. Davos was basically being Davos, doing what he felt morally right and well he was hoping. Davos does that, he has hope. He asked she said maybe, they tried. 

It was not one event happening but two. Davos and Edd were going to take down Thorne, and Davos wanted to find out if Mel could help, or bring back Jon. Davos is not a leader, at least not one to lead a war, he knows his limits, so who was left to fight the war for the dawn that he knew? Stannis was dead. That left Thorne, probably don't want to follow a bitter traitor who will stab his own leader in the back. Tormund who does not really know. Edd? And then there is the young charismatic lords son who fought and killed an Other, was respected by Stannis, is intelligent and skilled, and has ties to the North.

Perhaps Jon was not a great bet, but it was the only hand he had to play. It was a gamble but the only gamble he had. I can see logic in that story, but it was under developed, some like things spelled out a little more for them. I understand that. For me it came down to Davos having little choice, little time, being trapped, but still hoping and having lots of moral character. 

It's hard for me to question Davos doing what he felt was right with what little options he had, and even harder for me to question Edd wanting to take down Thorne after he stabbed Jon. It's Edd, one of Jon's good friends and most loyal men. Not to mention Edd saw the Others, he saw the magic, and he saw Jon kill one, and he saw the dead rise, pretty sure he would want Jon back, and believes in magic as well.     

Gave it 9/10. 

Loved Tyrion and the dragons, Euron, Arya, Sansa/Theon/Brienne, WunWun, and especially the failed resurrection. 

Did anybody notice how the camera came back again and again to the black, lifeless jewel around Melisandre's neck?  Clearly she and the Red God had lost each other.  But as Ghost awakes and rises, we see his eyes flash bright red. The next thing we hear is Jon Snow's gasp.  Melisandre was not the agent of Rhollor. It was Ghost.

I thought that was a terrific way to handle it. If Mel's ritual had succeeded, this (as a television scene) would have been nothing but corny.       

My point of issue was the Roose assassination. That was less than well done. As soon as the Meister announces that it's a boy, both Roose and Ramsay had to know that one of them was a dead man, but with infant mortality high in Medieval societies, Roose may not want to kill Ramsay off immediately, only to have no heir whatsoever if the baby dies.   Ramsay on the other hand has total incentive to act immediately.  I thought Roose would send Ramsay off to attack Castle Black, so as to buy time and lay the groundwork for Ramsay's imprisonment or demise.  Ramsay clearly was not going to rely on Roose's  "You are my first-born" prevarication.

However, the realities of TV production might have demanded a quicker ending to the Roose/Ramsay conflict.  GRRM will have the opportunity  to write a different story, as he might also for the resurrection.      

7. Lots of good stuff.

dont like

the Cersei whitewash that just goes on and on. She should be starting to go all lady Macbeth by now. She's just the dear sad mother who loves her children. What happened to the manipulative bitch who arranged the death of  Jon Arran, her husband, wanted arya killed or maimed. Had lady killed. Tried to kill Tyrion etc

the morphing of the high sparrow into a conniving empire builder

getting tired of the dick jokes

would have liked a last line from Roose " you bastard"  might have been appropriate.

foreshadowing Ramsay = Pigfood ????

Edited by pogo
Spelling

11 minutes ago, pogo said:

7. Lots of good stuff.

dont like

the Cersei whitewash that just goes on and on. She should be starting to go all lady Macbeth by now. She's just the dear sad mother who loves her children. What happened to the manipulative bitch who arranged the death of  Jon Arran, her husband, wanted arya killed or maimed. Had lady killed. Tried to kill Tyrion etc

the morphing of the high sparrow into a conniving empire builder

getting tired of the dick jokes

would have liked a last line from Roose " you bastard"  might have been appropriate.

foreshadowing Ramsay = Pigfood ????

Littlefinger and Lady Arryn plotted Jon Arryns death, not Cersei, right?