How would you rate episode 602?

Ran

How would you rate episode 602?   

547 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it an 8.  WAY better than the 1st.

I LOVED...

The way Sansa grinned when talking about Arya.

Theon's intentions of going home.

Bran seeing WF in the past.

Tyrion the Remover of Chains.

Jon's resurrection (I loved it even more that Ghost wasn't the sacrifice).

Roose is dead.

Davos's "forgive me for what you're about to see" line

I DIDN'T like...

The fact that Ramsay gets his way, again (but only bc I'm impatiently waiting for his gruesome death).

The oddly out-of-character conversation between Davos & Mel (though I assume given the locations and characters it was probably the only way to make that happen)

Tommen going to Cersei for help and forgiveness.

All-in-all, I'm pleased and so fn ready for the TOJ.

Would someone please inform me where I can go to watch the episode being reviewed on this thread. 

Seriously, I am absolutely floored at how many people are praising this incoherent, juvenile, dribble that was broadcast on my tv. HBO, Sunday night at 9:00 pm, is that right? Are we watching the same show? 

I'm curious, if you rated this episode a 10, or anything above a 3 really, how did you rate episodes from season 1? Did the scale back then go up to 50?

1 hour ago, Darkstream said:

Would someone please inform me where I can go to watch the episode being reviewed on this thread. 

Seriously, I am absolutely floored at how many people are praising this incoherent, juvenile, dribble that was broadcast on my tv. HBO, Sunday night at 9:00 pm, is that right? Are we watching the same show? 

I'm curious, if you rated this episode a 10, or anything above a 3 really, how did you rate episodes from season 1? Did the scale back then go up to 50?

People have different opinions. You don't have to agree with them, but you should respect them.

1 hour ago, Dragon in the North said:

Yes, that was the second bad cock joke in a row. Hopefully, now that Tyrion realizes there's a whole army of eunuchs around him, the jokes will stop.

haha exactly! and not only this, but the whole scene with the dragons......I couldn't understand how he suddenly had so much courage to do that...

hopefully Bran was just perfect for me, 8.5+/10 it contributes to my final rate.

i gave it a 9 because the stuff that irked me was really freaking minor. (like Bloodraven not missing an eye, and some other aesthetics stuff) Everything else was rather good and it shocked me how good it was tbh. I was expecting it to be really bad, and thats probably why i was so pleased. Go in with low expectations, come out being pleasantly surprised. Also Lyanna hype.

3 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

i gave it a 9 because the stuff that irked me was really freaking minor. (like Bloodraven not missing an eye, and some other aesthetics stuff) Everything else was rather good and it shocked me how good it was tbh. I was expecting it to be really bad, and thats probably why i was so pleased. Go in with low expectations, come out being pleasantly surprised. Also Lyanna hype.

I really do think last season was and will remain the nadir of the series.  There's still some noticeable weaknesses and I'm still DVRing it for later instead of having the "gotta watch live" appointment TV vibe it used to have for me.  But I'm finding a lot of stuff to like.  Maybe my expectations are lower.  Maybe its easier now for me to grade on just "does this make sense/work with what they've established" and not have to think about "does this adhere to the source material/did they include the cool thing I was looking forward to see" since they're past the books now (mostly).

[Also, no Dorne this week.  That's probably a big factor :D ]

I mean, THEY KILLED OFF ROOSE :(:(:( and I'm not anywhere near as salty as I thought I'd be if/when they did that.  That's actually pretty impressive

JON SNOW IS BAAACK!!!

10/10 just for bringing my favourite fictional character back to life haha.

I also loved Bran's flashback (setting up for the ToJ i'm guessing), LOVED that we had Greyjoys and loved Balon's death scene, and was beyond excited and on-edge during Tyrion's scene with the dragons.

I just loved all of it. 

3 hours ago, Salad Days Saan said:

I really do think last season was and will remain the nadir of the series.  There's still some noticeable weaknesses and I'm still DVRing it for later instead of having the "gotta watch live" appointment TV vibe it used to have for me.  But I'm finding a lot of stuff to like.  Maybe my expectations are lower.  Maybe its easier now for me to grade on just "does this make sense/work with what they've established" and not have to think about "does this adhere to the source material/did they include the cool thing I was looking forward to see" since they're past the books now (mostly).

[Also, no Dorne this week.  That's probably a big factor :D ]

I mean, THEY KILLED OFF ROOSE :(:(:( and I'm not anywhere near as salty as I thought I'd be if/when they did that.  That's actually pretty impressive

Yeah no Dorne helped loads. I now wish to erase Dorne from the show canon outside of Oberyn. Anything post-Oberyn is just no. Things are too weird to just simply nay-say for the sake of it. Winds of Winter isnt out and wont be for a while. Roose could very well bite it by means of Ramsay (and i expect him to, even before this episode). Jon may not stay dead for very long in the next book. Bran could very well see more and more and leave the cave. 

Also, im gonna say it here: People using the lexicon of those two goons from tumblr (stuff like Carol and Larry, etc), i am so not going to you seriously. Like ever. No offense, but i just cant. 

I gave this a 9 and would place it in my top ten episodes of all time. It was heavilly based upon book material including a lot of stuff widely predicted from Winds of Winter which reaffirms my belief this season will be fairly close to the next book with a wrap up of Affc materials too.

Now serious question is there a way i can block or ignore the trolls who voted 1 for this episode? I have zero interested in reading anything they have to say.

Wow! This show just keeps getting better and better! It's so awesome to have it back on our screens again! I can't think of anything that I didn't really like and was glued to the screen from start to finish! It just comes going from strength to strength! Hands down the best show on tv!

I give it a 9/10.

16 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

I couldn't agree more with everything you said.....now just need to remember to go into watching next week with low expectations!

I liked this episode, I think it was much better than the previous one. It had less numerous plot holes and bad jokes. I gave it 7.

I liked the Lannister scenes, both Jamie and Tommen was good, I loved the stand off between Jamie and the High Sparrow.  Tyrion stole the show from everyone, except you know who ... I am in the camp of people who loved the low key nature of his resurection. When he took that deep breath I laughed out loud, it was both funny and a big relief at the same time. Kind of "so this was all the fuss about ...".

Unfortunately it had a few plot holes, I just mention the two major ones.

1, Assasination of Roose. I am in the camp of people who think that it is completely out of character for Roose not to prepare for this option. He is known as cruel, calculating and cunning, there is no way he did not know that a baby boy would put Ramsay in a desperate situation. Also he had to know better than anyone else how egoistic and dangerous is Ramsay.

2, Lack of fight in CB. For me this was a huge, huge let down. I mean after all the great build up, Davos vs. Thorne discussion, epic lines from Davos (“I am not much of a fighter ...”), increasing tensions (hammering of the door, Ghost growling louder with every hit) the NW just surrenders without any fight? WTF?!? It is a huge let down. It is also highly unbeliavable. Not just the timing of the arrival of Tormund and the gang (ofc just before the bad guys break the door) but the fact that not a single arrow was fired at the charging wildlings. The NW had roughly to dozen archers and crossbowmen ready to  fire and none of released an arrow at the charging wildlings?!?! WTF? They support Thorne because they hate the wildlings; the hated enemy just chargning through the gates and none of them fires? Simple survival instinct should have made them fire those arrows, how the hell did they know that Tormund will stop just in front of them? This was like a pacifist’s dream sans flowers and beat music ... at least they should have let Tormund punch Thorne in the face; cmon Thorne killed Jon and Tormund just takes it without any emotion? No “I will kill you for this” threats not even an angry glare? This part was very, very anti-climatic but I liked the rest.

So, adaptation is a -427 rating.  

So, without further ado, let's get to rating.  Remember, I'm applying a 5 as average, with nothing remarkably good, or nothing remarkably bad (or offsetting each way).

Dorne: 10/10.  Nothing to see here (thank God). Legendary grade.

Sansa & Company 5/10: Well, apparently the Hound, one of the most identifiable people in Westeros, who was identified by Pod, is now just "a man."  Either that or Brienne is intentionally holding this back from Sansa.  Theon wants to go to a place where no one cares about him for some reason.  And of course, we continue the Sansa victim blaming (which IMO, isn't that big a deal, because it's hard to come up with a situation that would actually be more rationale to victim blame someone in).  The emotion between Sansa and Theon is nice, but overall just kind of meh.

Kings Landing 4/10:  Well, we have Tommen acting much younger than his new age.  We get a guilt trip from uncle-dad, some shots of Ungregor being creepy as f***, and a so-so tension moment between Lannnister guardsmen and Ungregor.  Nothing really significant either way yet.  The reduction here for me is the Jaime/Sparrow scene.  So High Sparrow is fine to arrest Margery for perjury, but won't attempt to arrest Jaime for kinslaying?  Okay.  

Tyrion 3/10: Zero to no-cock joke in half a second flat.  That's some impressive speed there Tyrion.  Normally I have to wait at least 30 seconds for a no-cock joke.  I'm amazed that Tyrion knows more about Dragons than people that have spent the better part of 4 seasons with them.  He really is Tyrion Christ, come to drink away our sins.  The dragons sure are trusting of this person they've never seen before, with no one to give them possible context on if he's on their side or not (since they're possibly smarter than humans).  And for not eating, and not growing for being locked up, they're HUGE.  The growing collars are also pretty impressive.  

Bran 5/10:  Points for finally showing something with Lyanna.  The Ned/Benjen interaction was nice, as well as the little tie-in to Jon and Checkov's plot device, since it implies Ned may have personally taught his children to fight (or at least reinforces the connection).  And then we have Hodor, I mean Walder, I mean Willas.  Apparently, seeing him is so great, Bran doesn't care about seeing his aunt or father anymore.  Understandable he might only mention this to Hodor, but to mopy Meera too?  And WTF happened to Leaf?  I'd have so much less of a problem if they just started with Leaf looking something like that back in season 4.  This is so much more than just a recast.  It's the same as the reimagining of the wights that took place between 2/3 and 4.  Basically, I'm not taking the Melisandre onion theory, and saying the bad and good wash out.  Average.  

The glorious, perfect, totally not a bastard, only doing what is necessary Ramsey Bolton.  2/10.  We do have the magically appearing Karstark.  Purely from an adaptational standpoint, there is the continued grip of Ramsey being the main villain of the North, but that's not part of this ranking.  Mr. Karstark wants "new blood" in the North, so he's fine with Ramsey being married to Sansa?  Well, she's basically just a babymaker at this point if they get her back, so it's not like she'd have any real power.  No reaction to Kinslaying?  Dafuq?  At least this kinslaying isn't way out of left field (although I suspect it's reversed in the books).  The Walda/baby Bolton just felt drawn out, with no tension.  The second Bolton gets stabbed, everyone knows what's going to happen to those two.  And with the director giving an interviewing saying Ramsey doesn't want to do it, but does it because it is necessary, f*** it.  If the Umbers have been on their side this entire time, I'm really curious why they've been holding their "gift" back for so long.  

Finally, the wall.  I'm going 4/10 solely because of Carice's acting.  I don't mind the surprising lack of blood when the Wildlings finally come (although I can't believe Thorne is still alive, and Olly was only disarmed when charging Tormund instead of killed).  What I do mind is Davos, the guy who has hated Mel for her sorcery, is now asking her to do it to a man he barely knew, even though we have no reason to think he has heard of the red priests having this power (reinforced by the idea that he doesn't know of the specific rite)?  Getting to the specific ritual, which involves no sacrifice? Seemingly no cost (we'll see if Jon comes back fundamentally changed, with a piece of his self dying as described by show Beric, but I doubt it)? Not to mention the completely underwhelming aspect of it.  Wash some blood off, cut some hair, and suddenly a life is brought back? I just felt nothing the whole scene.  Hard to give it anything beyond a below average, especially considering this is the revival of one of the show's main 3 "heroes." 

So overall, I go 4.  A few average scenes, a few below average scenes, and a couple bad ones, and I just for the life of me can't get excited about this.  (Realizing I forgot Arya and Ironborn now.  Just another 4-5. Nothing particularly bad (ignoring adaptation), but nothing particularly good either).   

Not quite good enough for a 7 , so I gave it a 6.

I thought the Wildlings assault was underwhelming, and I actually said out loud, "oh, well that was easy",

Same goes for Ramsey offing his dad and Walda.

Surely it would have made more sense to just kill her in the childbirth bed, which is known for being bloody, after all, than to have her walk across the castle in full view of dozens of witnesses. Why are there no Freys at Winterfell?

I also can't believe that Roose didn't fight back even a little bit

Davos and Mel's interaction didn't really jar to me. he doesn't know what happened to Stannis and the rest, but must know they are dead. Even if he doesn't approve of her methods, they have been on the same team for a long time, and he knows her better than anyone else at castle black.

Didn't like that Arya isn't warging, that was another "oh that was easy " moment for me. one minute she is getting her arse handed to her by the waif, seconds later, Jaquen is saying oh go on then you can come back. I wonder if there were any deleted scenes in there to make it make more sense. I think the waif and the KOM were much better, more believable, characters in the book and perhaps that is clouding my judgement.

Tommen seems quite wooden, he did a much better job when he was getting seduced by Marge, so perhaps it is the direction or something.

I thought Jaime's scene with the HS was good though.

Cant understand why Brienne didn't namecheck the hound, but I can't make sense of a lot of what D&D have done with her.

Is this the first episode without any breasts or sex ever?