How would you rate episode 602?

Ran

How would you rate episode 602?   

547 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

My understanding was Cersei + little finger arranged it to prevent JA from enquiring further into " the seed is strong", then LF encouraged LA to poison JA by playing on her fear that JA was going to foster out Robin

An 8 for me, bordering on a 9. 

What a great episode this was, even brought me back to that season-1-to-3-feeling at times. Especially the moments with Jamie/High Sparrow as well as Bran. Very satisfying to see that flashback to young Ned and Benjen, and I am amped for TOJ next week. I do feel like whenever the dialogue connects like Jamie/High Sparrow-scene it gives the episode endlessly more depth, and though I am left with a bitterness as this is not generally the case, this does not negade the fact that this was a huge episode. 

Jon Snow's resurrection was good too, I did feel like this was an authentic way to draw your first breath after being lifeless for a while. Some would call it a clichè, but I sure enjoyed it. Proteck ya necks, Thorne and Olly.

8 for me. almost a 9, but I'll save this for the next episodes....

Loved Tyrion showing off his Targ blood (I think) by becoming best buddies with the dragons. (For me, he is the one sitting on that throne at the end of it all...)

Loved Jamie realizing, that the High Sparrow is really dangerous.

Cersei is a bit boring right now, but ok, she is mourning... would expect her to send an army to Dorne though! How come she is not screaming hell for having her daughter murdered?

Sansa and Theon separating is fine with me. Looking forward to Sansa's arc of developing into the Queen.

Roose was a dead man the moment fat Wanda got pregnant. I hope Ramsay will go soon as well and hopefully it will be slower for him.

Arya finally making some little progress - hopefully.

Loved !!! Brans Flashback and loved Lyanna, she looks great! Now we need some flashback of the shining Prince Charming and her connecting and then - finally - the Tower of Joy!!

Did I miss something? Oh ja, Jon! ;) It is just great to have him back!! Not sure how Mels resurrection powers tie to his Targaryan blood reveal though, but we will see. Would have preferred, if Fire would have played some part here.

Looking forward to next week!!!

13 hours ago, Greg B said:

I hope the confrontation between the Night's Watch and the wildlings goes as well in Winds and isn't just a slaughter. The plot points at the Wall, frankly, just hang together much better in the show than in Dance's butchered ending. The looming conflict between Ramsay and Jon is set up way more satisfyingly this way than with the ridiculous Pink Letter and Shieldhall speech. I think the writers did a pretty good job of untangling that mess --

Careful with your hopes here. There still is a chance for a pink letter.

A: Sansa does go to the wall and meets up with Jon and Theon does go to Winterfell and tells Ramsey where she is. That would set up the whole bastard, return my wife to me letter.

B: The gift that someone presents Ramsey next week is Rickon. Ramsey knows Sansa was heading to the wall so he still sends the letter to Jon, threatening Rickon.
Result of A or B is the same, Jon leaves the wall and takes the wildlings to Winterfell for the battle in Ep 09. My assumption is that Sansa will show up at this same time with the Knights of the Vale and help defeat the Boltons.

Not a stellar episode. Jon's resurrection was so cheesy and straightforward. Too easy. In fact, everything in the episode seemed too easy! Tyrion just unchained dragons without being eaten the first time he encountered them. It was too easy and expected for Ramsay to just depose of Roose, Fat Walda, and the baby. Did Roose have no plan to be carried out if Ramsay were to go crazy? I like that the Greyjoys are finally getting some screen time, but it's all stuff that's already in the books. So little happened in the episode. It seems as if every storyline is moving at a snail's pace. 

Finding out Hodor's real name is Wallace(?), but he used to talk - 7. Ok, I know why they didn't go with his real book name, Walder, but had they picked a better name, I'd have given that reveal a 10.

Hodor explaining to Bran where to find Meera - 10.  Seriously, it almost looked like he was messing around on his smartphone and couldn't be bothered to elaborate.

Wino ridiculing Cersei - 1.

...getting his face smashed in by Gregor - 10.

Iron Islands - 5

Tyrion with the dragons - 9. To all detractors - YOU try saying something witty when you're clenching your sphincter tighter than a dragon's jaws wrapped around a sheep.

Jaime and the High Sparrow having a religious pissing contest - 10.

Tommen joining the dark side - 8

Arya tricking the gullible Jaqen that she finally thinks she's no one - 4. Dude, where's the cat she's supposed to be warging? Now THAT's some trickery!

Free folk purging the Night's Watch of corruption - 7. It was very gratifying, but it would have been better if they'd squished Alliser Thorne.

Ramsay committing atrocities - 8. I liked the stabbing scene because I was wondering for a moment which character stabbed which. For a split second I thought they mutually double-crossed/stabbed each other FTW. Didn't like the kennel scene, but it's not exactly out of character for Ramsay.

Finally finding out that Jon Snow's gonna make it - 9,000. Woohoo!

It all averages out to a solid 10.

38 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Result of A or B is the same, Jon leaves the wall and takes the wildlings to Winterfell for the battle in Ep 09. My assumption is that Sansa will show up at this same time with the Knights of the Vale and help defeat the Boltons.

Yes, and it works much better than in the book we got.

* Stannis is dead and defeated, and this news has reached the Wall from independent sources.

* Jon is assassinated for opening the gates for the wildlings. He doesn't go rogue first, muddying the issue.

* The conspirators are at least a little more conspiratorial about it. They do the deed in secret, leave a message, then make their case to the Night's Watch, hoping to gain the rangers' support before the wildlings are dealt with. In the book we got, they murder Jon in plain view of a rampaging giant and band of bloodthirsty wildlings that Jon just rallied to his war banners. The timing and execution (pun intended) are both insane and unforgivably dumb.

* When he's resurrected, whether or not he considers himself released from his vows, being dead has clearly changed Jon's options and outlook. Jon's Shieldhall speech and going warlord makes a lot more sense after he's assassinated, after he knows that Stannis is dead and defeated, than it did solely on the basis of the Pink Letter.

* If Sansa actually goes to the Wall and tells Jon what has happened, so much the better! Again, this gives Jon real motivation and a need to act that the Pink Letter plot device simply couldn't.

The show portrayed the key events in a particular sequence that gives Jon the motive, means, opportunity, and freedom to go warlord against Ramsay. The book had crucial chapters -- not just scenes -- cut at the last minute and attempted to paper over the missing pieces and broken timeline with the Pink Letter.

14 hours ago, Greg B said:

Solid 9, with no substantive caveats. Really great episode. Amazing how so many characters' story-arcs are moving forward at a terrific pace, and yet it didn't feel rushed at all. I was going to list all the things I liked, but I quickly realized it was pretty much everything. Strong murdering the peasant was the only weak note, and only because it seems like he'd have more important places to be.

I hope the confrontation between the Night's Watch and the wildlings goes as well in Winds and isn't just a slaughter. The plot points at the Wall, frankly, just hang together much better in the show than in Dance's butchered ending. The looming conflict between Ramsay and Jon is set up way more satisfyingly this way than with the ridiculous Pink Letter and Shieldhall speech. I think the writers did a pretty good job of untangling that mess -- I wish Martin's editor could have done half as well, or that we could have just waited for him to write the ending the way he wanted.

Melisandre's ritual wasn't exciting, but it was beautifully shot. Davos' theological monologue and the fact that she was successful despite her loss of faith support, in the show at least, that it's all just sorcery with different cultural trappings (religious, in her case).

I would not be sure Jon does go to fight Ramsay with the wildlings in the book.

It looks to me like Jon will have a lot of Stannis's book 6 story this season.

34 minutes ago, Talking Hodor said:

Finding out Hodor's real name is Wallace(?), but he used to talk - 7. Ok, I know why they didn't go with his real book name, Walder, but had they picked a better name, I'd have given that reveal a 10.

Hodor explaining to Bran where to find Meera - 10.  Seriously, it almost looked like he was messing around on his smartphone and couldn't be bothered to elaborate.

Wino ridiculing Cersei - 1.

...getting his face smashed in by Gregor - 10.

Iron Islands - 5

Tyrion with the dragons - 9. To all detractors - YOU try saying something witty when you're clenching your sphincter tighter than a dragon's jaws wrapped around a sheep.

Jaime and the High Sparrow having a religious pissing contest - 10.

Tommen joining the dark side - 8

Arya tricking the gullible Jaqen that she finally thinks she's no one - 4. Dude, where's the cat she's supposed to be warging? Now THAT's some trickery!

Free folk purging the Night's Watch of corruption - 7. It was very gratifying, but it would have been better if they'd squished Alliser Thorne.

Ramsay committing atrocities - 8. I liked the stabbing scene because I was wondering for a moment which character stabbed which. For a split second I thought they mutually double-crossed/stabbed each other FTW. Didn't like the kennel scene, but it's not exactly out of character for Ramsay.

Finally finding out that Jon Snow's gonna make it - 9,000. Woohoo!

It all averages out to a solid 10.

Umm... math much? lol...yes I am kidding

BTW, what happened to Janos Slynt? Will they reintroduce him soon so new Jon can have his block moment and let everyone know the boy is dead and the man is born?

34 minutes ago, dbunting said:

BTW, what happened to Janos Slynt? Will they reintroduce him soon so new Jon can have his block moment and let everyone know the boy is dead and the man is born?

That scene already happened last season, episode 3.

36 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

I would not be sure Jon does go to fight Ramsay with the wildlings in the book.

I'm not sure either. He sure seemed committed to the idea (for whatever reason), but maybe dying will change his mind. If and when we get Winds, maybe Martin will pivot away from that last chapter and just go in a completely different direction. It's definitely going to take some skill to adeptly write himself out of the situation he and his editor created!

57 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Janos Slynt was decapitated by Jon last season.

19 minutes ago, Greg B said:

I'm not sure either. He sure seemed committed to the idea (for whatever reason), but maybe dying will change his mind. If and when we get Winds, maybe Martin will pivot away from that last chapter and just go in a completely different direction. It's definitely going to take some skill to adeptly write himself out of the situation he and his editor created!

Not so.

Stannis will likely deal with the Boltons, removing any need for Jon to face them. Jon will also die and be resurrected, and GrrM will have some idea about how this will change him and his priorities.

GrrM was really setting up Jon to finally choose between the NW and his family (he chose family) and for his death and resurrection. I don't think he intends him to lead a wildling army and go warlord.

2 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

I don't think he intends him to lead a wildling army and go warlord.

That would have been okay with me. I do wish Martin had realized what he intended before he had Jon go warlord and rally a wildling army to his cause, to make Ramsay "answer for his words." (LOL I still have a hard time believing that bit was written in a Martin novel, even though I've probably read it a hundred times now.)