So Hodor has Brocca's aphasia

Pies are coming

Meaning a hit to the head damaged the areas of the brain which handle language.

Sad really. He's not intellectually retarded (no offense intended, English isn't my first language). He understands everything perfectly fine. He can't express his thoughts, though. Worse, it was probably one of the Stark kids who did it - he ended up training with them, without a helmet or training and one of them hit him hard in the wrong spot.

He still serves the Starks and chose to carry Bran beyond the Wall.

11 minutes ago, BlackwaterPark said:

I'm not sure he ended like this just by physical brain damage. There must be a reason he keeps repeating "Hodor" and I'm guessing it has something to do with the White Walkers.

Hodor, R'hllor...

What makes you say that? I've never made any connection to Hodor and the White Walkers. 

And 'Hodor, R'hllor', is it just that they rhyme?

Not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely curious about how you made that connection.

15 minutes ago, RadSam said:

What makes you say that? I've never made any connection to Hodor and the White Walkers. 

Not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely curious about how you made that connection.

Honestly, yes. I'm not supporting this with anything, plainly guessing. Also you could throw in the mix that Hodor is there in the North with Bran, that he is related to Old Nan (which is a pretty mysterious characters, book version at least), his alleged giant blood also ties him to the North, he now has those clear blue eyes when his young self apparently didn't... just a hunch.
Besides, The Great Other being "the one whose true name is never spoken", it would be a nice joke if it were actually Hodor. :P

14 minutes ago, RadSam said:

It is a pretty popular theory that "Hodor" is the true name of the great other.

6 minutes ago, BlackwaterPark said:

Honestly, yes. I'm not supporting this with anything, plainly guessing. Also you could throw in the mix that Hodor is there in the North with Bran, that he is related to Old Nan (which is a pretty mysterious characters, book version at least), his alleged giant blood also ties him to the North, he now has those clear blue eyes when his young self apparently didn't... just a hunch.
Besides, The Great Other being "the one whose true name is never spoken", it would be a nice joke if it were actually Hodor. :P

I can see where you're coming from. I could get behind this.

5 minutes ago, Ser Greenseer said:

It is a pretty popular theory that "Hodor" is the true name of the great other.

I've honestly never heard of that one before. 

2 minutes ago, RadSam said:

I can see where you're coming from. I could get behind this.

I've honestly never heard of that one before. 

Some popular theory it is then lol.  Didn't the book specifically state that Hodor was always a half-wit?

6 minutes ago, YoungGriff89 said:

Some popular theory it is then lol.  Didn't the book specifically state that Hodor was always a half-wit?

From what I remember, everyone calls him a halfwit, which I guess they would if they don't actually know what is wrong with him. 

11 minutes ago, RadSam said:

From what I remember, everyone calls him a halfwit, which I guess they would if they don't actually know what is wrong with him. 

Well I only say that because I could have sworn Bran recalls in either ASOS or ADWD something Ned told him about Hodor always being a half-wit.  Maybe he wasn't and maybe I'm misremembering it.  

35 minutes ago, YoungGriff89 said:

Well I only say that because I could have sworn Bran recalls in either ASOS or ADWD something Ned told him about Hodor always being a half-wit.  Maybe he wasn't and maybe I'm misremembering it.  

Ned may have been covering up the cause.

i think it is some kind of traumatic incident.

my theory: he saw someone fighting the white walkers but lost and the dying words was "Hodor". it is the key to destroy the white walkers. Bran Stark will soon decipher this word and destroy the night king.

1 hour ago, RadSam said:

In Norse mythology, "Hodur" is the god of winter and darkness.

Benjen smacks Willis in the head.

While Old Nan is telling him a story Hordor wakes up as she says the word Hodor, which imprints on him.

Helps to explain why Benjen joins the KW, not because he did anything wrong but because seeing his friend Willis reduced to Hodor is too much for his Stark honor to take (plus being the 3rd son)

13 minutes ago, Ser Maverick said:

In Norse mythology, "Hodur" is the god of winter and darkness.

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that. Considering that GRRM likes to use things from history etc, there could be something there.

Archived