So Hodor has Brocca's aphasia

Pies are coming

Little finger did it.

When Lyanna went off (willingly) with Rhaegar, Lyanna told Hodor to inform her brothers so they wouldn't follow her. Lyanna & Hodor have a special relationship as shown in last episode.

Little finger found out what happened & decided to invent the story that Rhaegar raped & abducted Lyanna and is headed for Kings Landing. He did this as he knew the hot headed Brandon would go wild & probably get himself killed.

Little finger needed to silence Hodor, tried to kill him but Hodor survived... but is now brain damaged from the episode.

13 hours ago, tmug said:

Gendry's story seems to be done, it was more about Davos and establishing his character.s.

Precisely my point! There needn't be any further exposition, simply because there isn't any to give. They served their purpose in the narrative, moved on and were never seen again.

As an aside, I think GRRM is magnificent even with these ancillary characters. The depth of the people -- Gendry, Yoren, Ros, et al. -- really is astounding.

On 03/05/2016 at 7:48 PM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

That still doesn't account for the passage about him growing stronger. That combined with everything else paints the picture of a young man, not someone from Ned's generation.

Not necessarily.  We know Martin takes inspiration from real world events.  What if Hodor has the Westeros equivalent to what Andre the Giant and The Big Show have IRL?

IIRC anyone with that ailment keeps growing until they have an operation on a gland in their head/brain or they die.  I've seen the same theory being used to explain Gregor Clegane.  But what if it Hodor has the same affliction or the Gregor clues are red herrings?   

On 5/5/2016 at 3:19 AM, SevasTra82 said:

I have to agree.

People want Gendry to be someone important SO badly that they'll find any reason in Westeros for him to be relevant.  (That goes for even in the books).  Gendry is a side character whose whole purpose was to help push Aryas plot forward.  He probably has a small part to play left in the books but in the TV Show, he's all but done.

Hodor could be going in one of two ways.  They could be giving him backstory simply because they have no choice (he's literally attached to Bran, so it only makes sense to give him *some* background).  Or he could actually be of something of greater importance.  As you said, the show has no time for Red Herrings, so if they are spending any sort of screen time on something, chances are it is relevant.  I *do* think there is something with Hodor going on, something deeper then him just "hitting his head".  But what that is, we'll have to wait and see.

Gendry seems to have that "plot armor" everyone talks about so that hints at Gendry having some part left to play in the books, probably in the Lady Stoneheart/BowB plot is my guess otherwise why keep him alive on the show? There were many chances to kill him on the show and he always miraculously survives. I thought for sure he would be a goner when Lorch captures them, then Tywin miraculously saves him from torture and of course Davos frees him. That would have gone on forever.

I also see Hodor, and even Meera for that matter, having a huge end game role now other than carrying/protecting Bran. Notice in the scene Hodor, er Wyllis, has a unique bond or connection with Lyanna. No tinfoil hat theory here, its just to show Lyanna was kind and makes her a likable character - she suggests that a common folk stable boy spar with little Lords -> Arya/Butcher boy connection -> Jon/Arya connection (Needle scene) -> Jon/Lyanna connection, makes sense. Arya is very much like Lyanna, the most Stark looking and tomboy-ish - points made in the books, and Jon and Arya had the closest relationship - point made in S1. The depth of the writing here is really good and makes an outstanding callback to S1 which made me watch S1 all over again. 

On 5/5/2016 at 6:42 AM, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Little finger did it.

When Lyanna went off (willingly) with Rhaegar, Lyanna told Hodor to inform her brothers so they wouldn't follow her. Lyanna & Hodor have a special relationship as shown in last episode.

Little finger found out what happened & decided to invent the story that Rhaegar raped & abducted Lyanna and is headed for Kings Landing. He did this as he knew the hot headed Brandon would go wild & probably get himself killed.

Little finger needed to silence Hodor, tried to kill him but Hodor survived... but is now brain damaged from the episode.

Although I really like this idea, I would have a hard time with Littlefinger, again, masterminding another monumental plot to ensue chaos that wrecks the Seven Kingdoms. But I guess that is what he does. He has been very quiet this season and that seems rather strange so far.

Yes, I think LF confirmed being at the Harrenhal Tourney from S5 talking with Sansa. We all notice the smirk he gave indicating he knows something regarding Lyanna + Rhaegar. But why would anyone believe LF if he twisted the news that Rhaeger kidnapped Lyanna? Unless he spreads the rumor through other common folk somehow, perhaps using Lysa (again!). It's possible LF went straight to Robert with the news knowing he would go ballistic.

But from the Starks perspective, did he not just lose that duel to Brandon Stark? Wouldn't everyone suspect he was bitter about that? It kills me every time I see Ned trusting LF knowing full well about what transpired with LF and his brother, his love for Cat, and believing that LF has put it all behind him. I think LF put it best about that generation of Starks "slow-witted and hot tempered". It seems that wisdom skipped that generation and put it all towards Bran in the next generation of Starks.

Didn't read the whole thread but have a different theory what 'hodor' means. From book version old Nan history I'd say Hodor starting saying 'hodor' as a toddler and never said anything else before or after. If that's true maybe he wanted to say a different word but he was still in his baby talk phase. What did he really want to say originally? What word impressed him from the other boys? "Honor!" of course.

Archived