[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

21 hours ago, The Ned's Little Girl said:

I agree completely with all you said. But there's something more, I believe (and worse).

I think the show wanted to punish the viewers. They consciously decided to make this horrific experience happen to Sansa specifically because she was someone that the audience knew and cared about. 

This is why the showrunners decided to kill Pyp and Grenn a few seasons ago. They made the decision to kill two side characters that viewers really liked just to get a shock out of us. After watching the first two episodes of S6, I wonder if they now regret making that decision because the insta-friends in the room with dead Jon just don't have the same favorable connection as Pyp and Grenn. 

I believe it was in an after the episode that Benioff describes the decision to kill them both. 

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

[...] I believe it was in an after the episode that Benioff describes the decision to kill them both. [...]

Well, those two seem like semi-literate 5th graders summarizing the books in the after-show-babble. At least to me as a foreigner with English as a third language ...

47 minutes ago, ogi said:

Well, those two seem like semi-literate 5th graders summarizing the books in the after-show-babble. At least to me as a foreigner with English as a third language ...

As someone who speaks English as a first language,  I'd say that sounds about right. I'd probably add in a few adjectives like incompetent, smug, and well, a few that would probably get me banned. 

SansAegon will rule Westeros when the final book is published! I can't think of a more apropos rebuttal on GRRM's part if he is truly displeased with how the show is handling his work. 

My general grumpyness aside, I will say this episode was overall better than the previous one, but after the debacle that was S5 and the first episode of this season my standards are essentially non-existent when it comes to this show. I'm basically watching because we have HBO and Sundays tend to be light on shows at this time of year. So on to specifics:

-Jon's resurrection was cheap. Thanks to Thoros we already know you don't have to decapitate half a dozen chickens for it to work, but some level of otherworldly ambiance or creepy 'wrongness' would have gone a long way towards selling it.

-Roose's death was complete bovine excrement, I agree with the others who mentioned it should have been Roose gutting Ramsay, that would have made for a much more 'surprising' (only in relation to D&D's apparent love of Ramsay-sue) and appropriate outcome. 

-Poor Larry character development continues to elude him, I honestly don't think D&D know what to do with him now that they got past the OMG-shocking hand chopping scene... kind of in the same way that they don't seem to know what to do with the show now that they got past the OMG-shocking Red Wedding scene. 

-Carol for Mother of the Year... 'nuff said. (Happy mother's day everyone!)

-Tommen, it's really not his fault he doesn't know how to Joffrey properly, he should have (not?) listened to Blessed Carol (more?)! :blink:

-House Tyrell continues to fail at being the economic super power they are, apparently holding the seven kingdoms together and feeding most of the south doesn't buy you any power or influence or armies.

-Yara/Asha not knowing the succession laws of her own kingdom/province/islands .... derp.

-Davos is in soar need of a doctor given he has obvious problems with facial recognition and/or memory, he keeps mistaking Jon Snow for Stannis.

-There's more but honestly my expectations for this show have sunk so low and I've listed enough already... so you know... 

One thing that I think warrants a lot of criticism now is some of the acting. Since the writing has deteriorated after season 4 it has exposed which actors can actually act and make a character engaging with less than perfect dialogue and which can't.

Headley, for example, can still make Cersie engaging, even though her lines are nots that good.

Dinklage isn't very engaging with bad lines, meaning he is not that good an actor.

Clarke isn't very good actor either but someone like Jonathan Price still makes his character engaging.

45 minutes ago, ummester said:

One thing that I think warrants a lot of criticism now is some of the acting. Since the writing has deteriorated after season 4 it has exposed which actors can actually act and make a character engaging with less than perfect dialogue and which can't.

Headley, for example, can still make Cersie engaging, even though her lines are nots that good.

Dinklage isn't very engaging with bad lines, meaning he is not that good an actor.

Clarke isn't very good actor either but someone like Jonathan Price still makes his character engaging.

I'm very surprised he got two Emmys for his role. His accent is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, ummester said:

True. Though I think you're being nice. The series started to deteriorate with season 3.
The good actors we have right now even with the bad story arcs/lines/scenes/etc is Maisie Williams, Nikolaj and Lena Headey. And some minor characters too.
I think what saved Emilia Clarke on the first season was the writing and fantastic actors that were on scene with her like Harry lloyd and Iain Glen. She alone can't carry a scene. Same with Dinklage. I think he is very overrated and is lucky Tyrion is/was an interesting character and had amazing scenes.

5 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

I'm very surprised he got two Emmys for his role. His accent is pretty bad.

Proves the Emmys are a popularity contest, I guess, rather than a critical assessment of the talent.

Have you heard the phrase 'that wizard came from the moon' Look it up, if not :D

5 hours ago, Nami said:

True. Though I think you're being nice. The series started to deteriorate with season 3.
The good actors we have right now even with the bad story arcs/lines/scenes/etc is Maisie Williams, Nikolaj and Lena Headey. And some minor characters too.
I think what saved Emilia Clarke on the first season was the writing and fantastic actors that were on scene with her like Harry lloyd and Iain Glen. She alone can't carry a scene. Same with Dinklage. I think he is very overrated and is lucky Tyrion is/was an interesting character and had amazing scenes.

Most of the dialogue in season 4 was still pretty good - and Dinklage was more engaging in it. But I agree with you that it now seems proven it was the scenes that made Tyrion engaging and not Dinklage.

Agree with Williams - although I wouldn't go as far as calling her a good actor, she does have a lot of charisma and screen presence. Nikolaj is is likewise engaging.

I think the dude who played Drogo deserves a mention also - definitely a lot of screen presence, which helped shape how we sympathised with Dany greatly in season 1.

Castle Black was really incredible this episode. Those conspirators... didn't they think of the wildlings? And... I don't know... watch them... maybe? Or have a raven in the tower... watching... the area? It's a bloody castle for f... sake! How can you sneak up to a bloody castle and surprise the defenders. I just thought "Of course Jon wanted the wildlings on his side. Because his guys are stupid."

But the crossbowshot at wun wun was perfectly timed. Castle Black's Gate opens, a flood of wildlings comes in, some blades meet, someone dies, they threaten each others, they calm down. AAAAAAND.... silence. A perfectly calm moment... at least for the better part of a second. Then the shot. Would have been perfect for a Monty-Python-Movie or maybe a Pratchett-book. I actually expected Tormund to turn around to the shooter, asking him "W...What are you doing? Are you an idiot...?" Maybe the crossbowman could have apologized and would still be alive. The show cannot become worse anyway, so why not going comical.

And when we are already in comic mode, in THAT moment a raven in the tower could have yelled "THE WILDLINGS ARE COMING! THE WILDLING ARE COMING!"

Would have been hillarious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2016 at 8:39 AM, Le Cygne said:

This. Snoozefest. The only thing that really happened that wasn't completely obvious or stoopid was Jon's resurrection, which was like, why did they bother?

Davos gives Shireen Killer a pep talk. More body washing (like we needed more after all of budding mortician Arya's body washing). Hair clipping and burning... ewwwwww! And then Jon wakes up from a bad dream.

Is that all there is? Is that all there is. If that's all there is...

But you're still watching :D

On 5/2/2016 at 8:13 AM, Chebyshov said:

The Nonfrontation at the Wall has to go down as one of the clumsiest set-ups in GoT history (which is saying something). Why was anyone motivated to do any of the things that they were doing? This was all over who gets to light Jonny's pyre? 

Then "fuck the gods, perform this religious miracle" in the same dang breath?

I'm just so confused.

Yeah. Show writers hate religion until they have no choice to use it,

Archived