[Spoilers] Criticize without repercussion

teemo

There is no well-defined enemy in the Meereen storyline so it's hard to understand just why Tyrion is releasing the dragons. It should come off as a last ditch effort to save the city but we haven't seen any Sons of the Harpy or any formidable threat that warrants such a dangerous move.

The scene with Ramsay and Roose was a copy of the scene with Ellaria and Doran. First the Lord is killed then the heir immediately after. I expected the scene with Balon to do the same. First Balon dies them Yara.

In fact... this episode pretty much followed the same outline of the season premiere.

My biggest gripe: so far nothing has happened. We're mostly still in AFFC/ADWD territory. As with the books we're dealing with a lot of set up and not much plot progression. It's only been two episodes, sure, but that's two episodes out of ten. Hopefully the next episodes will cover more ground.

4 hours ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

Let me get this straight.

So, loras is imprisoned because he is homosexual. Big Crime I suppose.

Margaery is imprisoned because she lies during Loras Trial. Big crime.

Cersei is imprisoned in turn for having sex with Lancel (?)..

Everyone that goes to the Sept of Baelor ends up in jesus prison for some lame sin or crime.

Jamie confessed his sins straight up - there is no need to lock him up and beat a confession out of him. The High Sparrow is all about belittling people by making them confront the reality of what they are and Jamie has already done that.

15 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

There is no well-defined enemy in the Meereen storyline so it's hard to understand just why Tyrion is releasing the dragons. It should come off as a last ditch effort to save the city but we haven't seen any Sons of the Harpy or any formidable threat that warrants such a dangerous move.

Meereen is the new Dorne :D

GRRM and the show by default expanded too much. The story is about Westeros (and specifically central and Northern Westeros). Dany is just sidelined overseas to grow her into a strong conqueror/destroyer for her return, I don't think it was meant to take as long and get as convoluted from when GRM originally conceived it.

3 minutes ago, ummester said:

Jamie confessed his sins straight up - there is no need to lock him up and beat a confession out of him. The High Sparrow is all about belittling people by making them confront the reality of what they are and Jamie has already done that.

I like your take on it. Jaime is wholly without sin because he basically makes a habit out of walking around confessing, both too his sins and his love for carol. Wait, is that one of his sins? FFS, I cannot tell anymore, their love seems so pure and carol never does anything wrong, maybe that's what love is supposed to be in Weisserhoff 

6 hours ago, LadySoftheart said:

So they are perfectly fine forgetting about Cersei's totally out-of-character show-only fourth child, but they make sure to bring up Jaime's show-only cousin-killing every season since it happened just in case we forgot! I bet NCW wishes he'd never mentioned that he read the books so he could benefit from the Lannister Whitewash. ;) Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance all said they hadn't and look, Poor Carol, and Lawful Neutral Tywin come out smelling comparatively rosy, and St Tyrion the Dragontamer gets to be all three heads of the dragon + Azor Ahai + the Prince that Was Promised + The Last Hero all rolled in to one gift-wrapped package! 

Poor NCW, it's painful to watch him anymore, I just can't even look at the screen. This is not Jaime, and I just want to kick Larry.

They ruined Lyanna Stark for me, forever ! I just hate them. I thought she was supposed to be a true northern woman. She would be like John Snow, look the most like a stark, like the descendants of old men. A striking face , a black haired beauty like imagined by so many fans in their fan art. Instead,  who do we get ! Queen of Love and Beauty my arse !!! T_____T Its like they don't even care anymore. 

And they should have cast Mads Dittman Mikkelsen as Euron Greyjoy, He would have ACTUALLY looked like Balon Greyjoy's younger brother and would have been perfect even age wise and BLOODY PERFECT personality wise. 

What were these people thinking, this is such a disappointment. 

I just don't get why Davos gives a **** about Jon to the extent that he wants him resurrected. This loyalty comes a bit out of left field, it's not like Jon was his king or close buddy. If anything, shouldn't Davos want Stannis resurrected? Jon is just some dude manning the wall. Davos is asking Mel to perform dark magic- which he's not particularly into- for some dude he barely knows. Because apparently Davos has become loyal to the death to Jon.

I also don't quite see the point of Jon dying if he's just going to get resurrected again. Only to give him God status? He gets stabbed, goes down, awakes and things go back to him dealing with the conflict. I know we haven't seen zombie-Jon in action yet, so he could be a drooling idiot with sympathies for the white walkers, but I'm willing to bet he'll be back to being the guy in command and walking looking pained by all the oh so difficult decisions he has to make. No wolf dreams, no seeing stuff, no real development... Seems like a plot thing that could have just been cut out if there's no character development from it. I hope zombie-Jon is different from real Jon, if not that was all just a waste of time for some cheap suspense.

I'm not even going to get into Ramsays plot armor. But Kinslaying seems to be all the rage in Westeros and not really a major problem at all.

Edit: I wanted to add in this quote from another poster:

"- I am not sure I like the way Meera is shamed to Bran’s side here. It probably wasn’t D&Ds intention to make it sound like that, but they have lost my trust ages ago "

I hated how they did that. It's the same old ham-handedness that's so common in the show. The scene was nice. Meera sitting in the snow. The landscape was absoutely beautiful. But they have to sneak in a "It won't be forever y u not supportive don't be selfish". They couldn't just have shown her waiting, looking out over the beautiful landscape, showing with her face and body language that she's waiting for something more to happen? I hate the "tell, not show" that GoT does. They don't let the viewers figure anything out on their own. It's just such simple entertainment. It's boobies and violence and being spoon-fed the plot and the characters thoughts. There's no intelligence to it, no subtlety at all. And before somebody goes "well it's different on tv"- no it's not, subtlety and hinting emotions instead of blantatly telling people can be done very well on tv, it's called letting the actors act.

1 hour ago, Trinket2 said:
1 hour ago, Trinket2 said:

I just don't get why Davos gives a **** about Jon to the extent that he wants him resurrected. This loyalty comes a bit out of left field, it's not like Jon was his king or close buddy. If anything, shouldn't Davos want Stannis resurrected? Jon is just some dude manning the wall. Davos is asking Mel to perform dark magic- which he's not particularly into- for some dude he barely knows. Because apparently Davos has become loyal to the death to Jon.

I also don't quite see the point of Jon dying if he's just going to get resurrected again. Only to give him God status? He gets stabbed, goes down, awakes and things go back to him dealing with the conflict. I know we haven't seen zombie-Jon in action yet, so he could be a drooling idiot with sympathies for the white walkers, but I'm willing to bet he'll be back to being the guy in command and walking looking pained by all the oh so difficult decisions he has to make. No wolf dreams, no seeing stuff, no real development... Seems like a plot thing that could have just been cut out if there's no character development from it. I hope zombie-Jon is different from real Jon, if not that was all just a waste of time for some cheap suspense.

I'm not even going to get into Ramsays plot armor. But Kinslaying seems to be all the rage in Westeros and not really a major problem at all.

"- I am not sure I like the way Meera is shamed to Bran’s side here. It probably wasn’t D&Ds intention to make it sound like that, but they have lost my trust ages ago "

I hated how they did that. It's the same old ham-handedness that's so common in the show. The scene was nice. Meera sitting in the snow. The landscape was absoutely beautiful. But they have to sneak in a "It won't be forever y u not supportive don't be selfish". They couldn't just have shown her waiting, looking out over the beautiful landscape, showing with her face and body language that she's waiting for something more to happen? I hate the "tell, not show" that GoT does. They don't let the viewers figure anything out on their own. It's just such simple entertainment. It's boobies and violence and being spoon-fed the plot and the characters thoughts. There's no intelligence to it, no subtlety at all. And before somebody goes "well it's different on tv"- no it's not, subtlety and hinting emotions instead of blantatly telling people can be done very well on tv, it's called letting the actors act.

It already started at the beginning.

"It's my aunt, Lyanna!"
"It's Hodor!"
"Hodor talks!"

Yeah, no shit, the viewers have eyes and ears themselves...

4 hours ago, LucifeLMartelL said:

And they should have cast Mads Dittman Mikkelsen as Euron Greyjoy, He would have ACTUALLY looked like Balon Greyjoy's younger brother and would have been perfect even age wise and BLOODY PERFECT personality wise. 

This. So much this. Show!Euron looked like he acted smug not because of years of sailing and fighting at sea but because he knew he was safe because D&D needed him.

Also, I know I'm late to the party but... they killed my nigga Roose!
I know he would die eventually, but not like this. Where's all the mystery gone? The coldness of his eyes, him being always two steps ahead of everyone else? Did he seriously hug Ramsay?

Speaking of, can anyone tell me why D&D are so in love with Ramsay? It's a serious question, actually. Amongst the three heads of the dragon, Azor Ahai and the others, the children of the forest, and a gazillion other possible revelations and outcomes, I never thought him to be a key element to the whole mess.

Davos being so invested in Jon Snow's resurrection is so obviously plot driven I don't even know what to say. Bugs Bunny whacking Mel on the head with a hammer yelling "bring him back! Bring him back!" would have been more subtle.

Kinslaying is all the rage in westeros now 

Not even considered a crime you can do it right in front of your own bannermen now

I think it was implied in the books that things like hospitality and not killing your own kin went out of the window after the Red Wedding. But yeah, that scene was stupid nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Trinket2 said:

Bryan Fuller, Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat are the kind of men for that. But i think Bryan Fuller took it to whole another level with his show "Hannibal". Still HANDSDOWN ! the best show i have seen on television in my entire life. Now there is the guy every one should take notes and be coached on as to, how to deviate from original books. 
GOT is like a cheap, spoon fed american sitcom shot in exotic locations. Its a shame, so much of money they could have least hired the right kind of people to handle this.

On May 2, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Tianzi said:

...and that did not contribute to my king's victory as you promised, instead he was doomed and died before one Balon Greyjoy who was supposed to be killed several seasons ago with your blood magic...

And yes, why was Davos insisting on reviving Snow? I get that he was a goos commander, but not any super savior of the world and there was a risk they would end up with some badly functioning zombie...

+ 'Everyone's given up and left and BAM! then he wakes up!' cliché.

It was pretty lazy storytelling considering they already did that exact same scene at the end of Epidode 2 season 1 when Bran wakes up.  I told a coworker that's exactly how it's gonna happen.  He will wake up at the end of the episode like Bran did.  

What should have happened was Melisandre come to this conclusion by herself, and sacrifice herself to bring Jon back.

The biggest issue, even when the show had some good moments, is that none of the moment felt earned.  Jon's resurrection felt unearned because no price was paid (and I still don't get why Davos is the guy who pushes for it), Balon's death was unearned because Euron came out of nowhere and it's been too long since the leeches. Roose's death felt more like Roose being a total moron because the plot needed him to be. 

And for 2 episodes now the KL plot has not advanced one iota.

7 hours ago, Trinket2 said:

If anything, shouldn't Davos want Stannis resurrected?

Does he even know Stannis is dead?

I don't remember this scene that well, but I recall Davos asking: 'The king? The princess?', Mellie shaking her head and Davos moving on, lol. They didn't even show the body, the Boltons didn't even bother to confirm he is dead, it looks like everyone just forgot about Stannis.

Oh, and Euron, his actor is actually younger than Yara's actress (dunno how much it shows, since they haven't shown him in the daylight, but...). I wondered if he was still the second oldest brother, but that doesn't make much of a difference, since between Balon and Aeron he looks like he could be their grandson. 

16 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

I don't remember this scene that well, but I recall Davos asking: 'The king? The princess?', Mellie shaking her head and Davos moving on, lol. They didn't even show the body, the Boltons didn't even bother to confirm he is dead, it looks like everyone just forgot about Stannis.

I was in the "we haven't seen Stannis' dead on screen he might be alive" camp. Since S6E1 I'm not anymore. Roose and Ramsey specifically mentioned Stannis being dead. That's that.

4 minutes ago, messem said:

I was in the "we haven't seen Stannis' dead on screen he might be alive" camp. Since S6E1 I'm not anymore. Roose and Ramsey specifically mentioned Stannis being dead. That's that.

Yes, I take the fact that they didn't show the body as a sign of 'nobody cares & Stephen Dillane already went home', not Stannis being alive. But Davos doesn't know that (Melisandre didn't even see it herself, I doubt he would take her visions as a proof, and they actually didn't even bother mentioning any visions) so he should be more interested in Stannis' fate, and not moving his worship to Jon.

Archived