Ser Robert the giant

Trogdor Targaryen

I assume most are familiar with the theory that ser Robert is actually Ser Gregor underneath his helm. Right after we see an actual full blooded giant slam a man's body into a wall like a rag doll, we see Ser Robert smash a guys head in like it were nothing. I think this is an allusion to the Cleganes having giants blood. There's also the previous scene in which we see Hodor who has been blatantly started to certainly have giants blood by someone who had previously seen giants. I think it's interesting that Hodor was forbidden to train and turned out as docile as he did. Though perhaps under Brans guidance he can be an equally bad ass fighter. 

Do I have agreement that these characters are almost certainly part giant?

I always found it interesting that the defining characteristic of the Cleganes has been their monstrous size. Sandor is larger than almost every other man, while Gregor is most likely the largest non-Umber around (besides maybe Hodor?).

Given that they went out of their way to mention Hodor and his giant's blood again, it seems reasonable that they might be hinting the Clegane family also has giant's blood. The bigger question is: So what? How could this be important to the plot in any way?

It might be an interesting tidbit to know, but not much else.

27 minutes ago, Lady Fishbiscuit said:

I've always wondered why he called him Robert, especially with Cersei's dead husband being called Robert. Always seemed weird to me.  

In the books? Tommen "named" him after his supposed father, as far as I recall. He's not been named in the show.

1 hour ago, Direwight said:

In the books? Tommen "named" him after his supposed father, as far as I recall. He's not been named in the show.

In the book it says Tommen named him to the Kingsguard, he didn't actually name him.  

Speaking of tidbits, I do have to say that the second Ser Robert scene was probably one of my favorites this week. Absolutely loved the trepidation of the Lannister guards and the clear relief on their face when Cersei stood down. It's the little things that count.

1 hour ago, Lady Fishbiscuit said:

In the book it says Tommen named him to the Kingsguard, he didn't actually name him.  

Yeah, so it seems. I had this odd recollection that Tommen had suggested the name, but I guess not.

7 hours ago, Benoitthegr8 said:

I'm convinced that Ser Robert has the head of the Drarf that was brought as belonging to Tyrion and thus taken by Qyburn for experimentation. This would be hilarious, this monster of a man topped by a goofy dwarfen head.

Dwarf heads are large not small

3 hours ago, Fredwin said:

Speaking of tidbits, I do have to say that the second Ser Robert scene was probably one of my favorites this week. Absolutely loved the trepidation of the Lannister guards and the clear relief on their face when Cersei stood down. It's the little things that count.

That was a wonderful scene! 

3 hours ago, Visenya the Dragon said:

I thought Qyburn named him in books and show. Tommen does not know he is like some monster creation of Qyburn to give him a new name.

Yep quyburn named him in the show 

Giant's blood? This isn't Harry Potter. The giants in ASOIAF don't look all that human, more bear like. (But then, let's not bring up the Mormonts...)

Hodor is thought to be so big because his great grandmother, Old Nan, had a tryst with Ser Duncan the Tall, an orphan boy from Flea Bottom. I've not seen any explanation of the Clegane family ancestry, or whether Sandor & Gregor's father or mother were particularly big. However, the fact that Duncan was tall and the Umbers are tall and the Cleganes are tall suggest that (duh) some people are taller than others.

Occam's razor - don't make it more complicated than you need to.

I don't think that it was ever a hidden secret or a spoiler as to the identity of Sir Robert Strong in either the book or show.

The Giants blood thing is just a shared saying used to describe a big guy.   Cleganes are from south and are not even First Men.  I like the Duncan the Tall theory for Hodor.   Is the affair in the prequil book or just surmised from Bran's vision from the weirwood?

Archived