Theon is going "home"... Winterfell?

Nathaniel Stark

I think most people assume that Theon saying he would go "home" means the Iron Islands.

But that seems odd to me, Theon has been more identifying with the Starks as the family he truly was a part of, during his redemption arc and helping Sansa and so on.

What if by "home", he means Winterfell, Sansa's home, and in a way his own also.

He could somehow go to try to make amends for what he has done, perhaps to attempt to kill Ramsey?

Do you think he is definitely going to the Iron Islands, (King's Moot, support Asha/Yara?) which would seem to not fit with his current arc in my view, or could home be Winterfell?

Yeah, even though that just after he said that the Pyke scenes kicked in, I believe he is planning on having it's due against Ramsay. Besides, I see it very difficult for him to get to Pyke on it's own with just a horse.

I think this is a good place to give some props to Alfie Allen for his acting, he does a great job.

It doesn't make sense either way.  He shouldn't think of the Iron Islands as home, as you said.  He was treated like garbage when he went there.  He should see returning to the Iron Islands and trying to win their respect as the worst mistake by far in his life.  In addition, he has no way of getting there. 

He shouldn't go back to Winterfell because he's more terrified of Ramsay than death.

It's all very stupid. 

It's also bizarre that he would leave Sansa until he's 100% certain she's safe with Jon. They might run into difficulties on the to Castle Black and he may be able to help.

What does Theon even have to do in Pyke from his perspective? He went home once, his dad treated him like shit, his sister wasn't friendly, and everyone mocked him, and he ended up ruining his life. I can't imagine he'll want to go back to his father who basically disowned him, and as far as the story goes why would Theon even want to participate in the Kingsmoot? 

Perhaps he will indeed return "home" to Winterfell and end up being the Hooded Man. I can't quite see him going anywhere else right now.

28 minutes ago, DarkAndFullOfTurnips said:

What does Theon even have to do in Pyke from his perspective? He went home once, his dad treated him like shit, his sister wasn't friendly, and everyone mocked him, and he ended up ruining his life. I can't imagine he'll want to go back to his father who basically disowned him, and as far as the story goes why would Theon even want to participate in the Kingsmoot? 

Perhaps he will indeed return "home" to Winterfell and end up being the Hooded Man. I can't quite see him going anywhere else right now.

I like the Hooded Man theory but is he too damaged (physically and mentally) to be a saboteur?

He can hear bran talking to him through the trees (in the book i think) anyway, maybe he's given a task from Bran via tree-mail?

I hope he just rides off and freezes to death at night.

He's  going "home" to Pyke in the show. "Previously on Game of Thrones" is a 3 minute spoon feeding prior to every episode to catch Unsullied up and prep them for what's coming in the next 60 minutes. In this specific situation, Theon says he's going home and then the next scene is a shot of the Iron Islands. That is what the director of this episode meant. That is how B&W intended it to play out. They are not trying to trick the audience. They are trying to lob them softballs, as per the course. 

1 hour ago, DarkAndFullOfTurnips said:

His sister tried to rescue him from the Dreadfort. So he atleast knows one member of his family would like him to come back.

2 hours ago, DarkAndFullOfTurnips said:

He'll be at the Iron Islands to help reintroduce the ironborn to us and lose the kingsmoot.

With Stannis dead, they're unlikely to do his book death.

2 hours ago, DarkAndFullOfTurnips said:

Theon thinks Yara may accept him despite Balon's hostility and refusal.

2 hours ago, chasing the dragons said:

That's just harsh. I know Theon doesn't have any more reason to live, but he shouldn't die like that.

4 hours ago, chasing the dragons said:

I like the Hooded Man theory but is he too damaged (physically and mentally) to be a saboteur?

He can hear bran talking to him through the trees (in the book i think) anyway, maybe he's given a task from Bran via tree-mail?

Why don't you just go to hell?  We don't need this crap here.

1 hour ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Theon thinks Yara may accept him despite Balon's hostility and refusal.

That's just harsh. I know Theon doesn't have any more reason to live, but he shouldn't die like that.

There's always a reason to live.  You don't need a penis to find happiness.

Also, as a response to the OP, you seriously thought Theon would return to Winterfell?  Winterfell?  The place he just escaped from?  That doesn't even make sense.

Why would he return? :dunno: Theon is done with the Winterfell storyline. He's returning now probably to get killed by Euron. I doubt there is much they can't squish out of Theon as a character, specially because he's likely not making it in the next book,

Spoiler

in which he just meet Asha who will probably taking him back to the Iron Islands.

He would be doing the same, just for different motivations.

"My Real Father Lost His Head In King's Landing." -- Theon, season 3.

WELL.  So much for that, eh, show? :)

Oh, fine, as long as I get an on screen Theon/Asha reunion I guess I won't complain too much.  Except he's looking to come back right as she's likely to be leaving [for her own protection and/or Doing Her Best Victarion Impression].  Maybe Theon can get into adventures to stall out until  she's ready to pick him up on the way back and they can overthrow Euron together. 

I would expect that he's going home to Pyke.  I don't know what he hopes to accomplish,  though.  They didn't accept him before,  they certainly won't now,  not in the condition that Ramsay has left him in. 

I honestly expected that he'd sacrifice himself and allow himself to be captured/killed to secure Sansa's escape.  Now?  I don't know what his story purpose would be moving forward. 

3 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

The problem is Theon has very little reason to go to either Winterfell or Pyke. Perhaps he just assumes if he goes to Pyke they'll let him live out his days in obscurity or possibly just kill him and let him return to the waters where he grew up. From a plot perspective he just kind of confuses the Kingsmoot unnecessarily. Maybe they'll just have him return and be killed by Euron to end his character arc. I can't imagine what else he could accomplish at Pyke.

Why do we need Theon to reintroduce the Ironborn? We just saw them without him. 

Archived