Theon is going "home"... Winterfell?

Nathaniel Stark

3 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

i would really like that. That maybe he gets passage from the Umbers or someone to get to Pyke, he drops the "oh btw Rickon and Bran are still alive" bomb on them and they go "oooooh hooo!" 

Well, The Umbers are already quite aware that Rickon is alive, at least  :)

Anywho, the Asha/Theon reunion in ADWD is on my short list of "oh man, there's something in my eye" moments, so other concerns aside, I'm looking forward to having a visual version of it to look at.

[pleasedon'tmakeitbelame pleasedon'tmakeitbelame pleasedon'tmakeitbelame]

On 5/3/2016 at 8:14 PM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

I think Theon meant home = Pyke. But if D&D are smart they will have Theon be "the gift" from the Umbers in the next episode.

That was my first thought when I heard that line. Then again I've already noticed a trend this season to throw out dramatic lines for teaser bait, only for them to be completely non-dramatic when they actually happen. Davos' line of "forgive me for what you're about to see" as he draws Longclaw comes to mind.

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Rickon is the gift, and that Ramsay will send some variant of the Pink Letter to the wall demanding Sansa back in exchange for Rickon, and that's what spurs Jon on to march toward Winterfell, and that Davos will use his Super Smuggling Skillz to rescue Rickon via infiltration while Ramsay's distracted.

On 5/2/2016 at 7:17 AM, Nathaniel Stark said:

I think most people assume that Theon saying he would go "home" means the Iron Islands.

But that seems odd to me, Theon has been more identifying with the Starks as the family he truly was a part of, during his redemption arc and helping Sansa and so on.

What if by "home", he means Winterfell, Sansa's home, and in a way his own also.

He could somehow go to try to make amends for what he has done, perhaps to attempt to kill Ramsey?

Do you think he is definitely going to the Iron Islands, (King's Moot, support Asha/Yara?) which would seem to not fit with his current arc in my view, or could home be Winterfell?

It might not make sense, but he declared he was going home and then it cut to an establishing view of Pyke. Therefore he must be headed to Pyke. I guess they want him to make things interesting at the Kingsmoot. In the books, I expect him to arrive back at Pyke and put Euron's Kingship in question.

3 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

It might not make sense, but he declared he was going home and then it cut to an establishing view of Pyke. Therefore he must be headed to Pyke. I guess they want him to make things interesting at the Kingsmoot. In the books, I expect him to arrive back at Pyke and put Euron's Kingship in question.

Theon was treated as joke last time he went home.

This time he is broken, has no doodle and no respect.

WHY would ANY iron islander choose him over Euron or his Big Sister?

4 minutes ago, I'll pay the iron price said:

Theon was treated as joke last time he went home.

This time he is broken, has no doodle and no respect.

WHY would ANY iron islander choose him over Euron or his Big Sister?

From the wiki: 

Once a candidate put himself forth, he was bound to the kingsmoot's decision. Only once in the history of the Iron Islands has a kingsmoot been declared unlawful. When King Urragon III Greyiron died, the king's family called a kingsmoot while Torgon Greyiron, the deceased king's eldest son, was off at sea raiding. The kingsmoot raised up Urrathon IV Goodbrother, whose first act was to put all the present kin of the old king to death. Torgon the Latecomer returned two years later and claimed the kingsmoot was unlawful since he, the previous king's son, was not present to put forth his candidacy as was his right. Since Urrathon was bloodthirsty and his cruelty made him many enemies, the priests and ironborn denounced him and raised Torgon to be the new king.[3]

I don't think Theon will be back to the Iron Islands. His story always revolved around Winterfell while the Iron Islands is more affiliated to Asha.

I said it above, Theon is going to get Victarion's role from the book. He is going to Meereen and he will do the thing and die (pointlessly and without any meaning).

In the books, I suspect that he'll be the main POV on battle of Ice, Stannis recapture of Winterfell, he'll meet Rickon again, make amends and die in front of the heart tree in his real home, WINTERFELL. Seriously, Theon in the books says that his real father died in King's Landing, that he should have died with Robb at the Red Wedding and has been called kinslayer by numerous people for killing "Bran" and "Rickon".

1 hour ago, farerb said:

I don't think Theon will be back to the Iron Islands. His story always revolved around Winterfell while the Iron Islands is more affiliated to Asha.

I said it above, Theon is going to get Victarion's role from the book. He is going to Meereen and he will do the thing and die (pointlessly and without any meaning).

In the books, I suspect that he'll be the main POV on battle of Ice, Stannis recapture of Winterfell, he'll meet Rickon again, make amends and die in front of the heart tree in his real home, WINTERFELL. Seriously, Theon in the books says that his real father died in King's Landing, that he should have died with Robb at the Red Wedding and has been called kinslayer by numerous people for killing "Bran" and "Rickon".

How do you propose Theon will end up as Euron's emissary to Meereen (Victarion's role in books) without first going back to the Iron Islands?

2 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

How do you propose Theon will end up as Euron's emissary to Meereen (Victarion's role in books) without first going back to the Iron Islands?

I think he means he doesn't think Theon will go to the Iron Islands in the books which I agree with.

Alternatively, Yara picks Theon up on the way to Meereen.

On 5/4/2016 at 10:36 PM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

"Theon’s arc is all about Winterfell. It’s the central object of his storyline. He is obsessed with it, defines himself by it, gives himself up to have it, finds himself again within it. He could not give less of a shit about Pyke or anyone on it, and give or take a Sawane Botley, the feeling’s mutual. Winterfell is Theon’s home. The Starks are his family. I cannot fathom that GRRM honestly means to send him up against Euron in his state. (Leave that to the Tyrells, and Asha and Rodrik, and of course Sam.) Theon’s not really an Ironborn deep down, and he’s known it all along. Winterfell is his place. It’s where his story will end."

"I can't think of a better ending for Theon. He starts his arc in fear of being beheaded in Winterfell. He is in constant turmoil over whether or not he is a Stark or a Greyjoy. Theon ends his arc knowing who he is. He is simply Theon. And his fear of being beheaded is gone. If he can gain the forgiveness of Rickon and Bran, and die in peace, then I think that is best possible ending for Theon Greyjoy, my favorite character in ASOIAF. "

I never thought his arc was all about Winterfell. His central theme is all about self identity (or lack thereof) in my opinion. A better and more bittersweet way to end his story would be with him in Pyke trying to be a Greyjoy when deep down he's still conflicted as to whether he is (or will ever be) one. 

Remember that he tries to convince himself he's not a Stark in the beginning, however when he faces reality, he deep down realizes he's even less an Ironborn. 

Also, the kingsmoot being declared unlawful was foreshadowed in a couple of Asha and Aeron chapters.

7 hours ago, farerb said:

No. That was on the show.

47 minutes ago, Steelborn said:

Seriously, Theon in the books says that his real father died in King's Landing, that he should have died with Robb at the Red Wedding and has been called kinslayer by numerous people for killing "Bran" and "Rickon".

No. That was on the show.

No. IIRC "his real father died in King's Landing" was only on the show but the rest is from the books. In Dance I know the Hooded Man and Rowen both call Theon a kinslayer and here's the part about Robb...

And Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy’s loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him.

8 minutes ago, Elaena Targaryen said:

No. IIRC "his real father died in King's Landing" was only on the show but the rest is from the books. In Dance I know the Hooded Man and Rowen both call Theon a kinslayer and here's the part about Robb...

And Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy’s loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him.

:thumbsup: 

That was what I referring to actually, not the whole sentence as was highlighted :lol:

He's not going to Winterfell, but of course if his character was consistent he wouldn't call Pyke his "home"either. 

You people looking for the writers  to actually pay attention to narrative consistency are always going to be diasppointed. They were obviously more interested in using the word home as callback to the episode title.

1 hour ago, Steelborn said:

I never thought his arc was all about Winterfell. His central theme is all about self identity (or lack thereof) in my opinion. A better and more bittersweet way to end his story would be with him in Pyke trying to be a Greyjoy when deep down he's still conflicted as to whether he is (or will ever be) one. 

Remember that he tries to convince himself he's not a Stark in the beginning, however when he faces reality, he deep down realizes he's even less an Ironborn. 

Also, the kingsmoot being declared unlawful was foreshadowed in a couple of Asha and Aeron chapters.

His identity is tied to Winterfell though. He wanted to be a Stark, he wanted Ned to marry him to Sansa, he had his first kiss under the heart tree, he gave himself up for Winterfell, he has more memories of Winterfell than Pyke, he has had more chapter in Winterfell than a Pyke

on top of all that, it seems Bran wants Theon sacrificed to the Weirwood tree for some reason. We have to see why. It looks important. 

Indeed but Aeron doesn't need Theon to declare it unlawful 

On 5/2/2016 at 7:08 PM, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Why would he return? :dunno: Theon is done with the Winterfell storyline. He's returning now probably to get killed by Euron. I doubt there is much they can't squish out of Theon as a character, specially because he's likely not making it in the next book,

Reveal hidden contents

in which he just meet Asha who will probably taking him back to the Iron Islands.

He would be doing the same, just for different motivations.

This...

In the books Yara is learning about calling a 2nd Kings Moot, because Theon was absent.

IMO, that's likely why the show is just now doing Balon's death.. They didn't want to do two Kings Moot, where as this way they will still come to the same place just different path (again..lol).

Maybe...

1 hour ago, Pipewrenched said:

Maybe...

I don't remember if this should be in spoilers (because it's book 6?), so you better check that out.

But yes. Yara's intentions are likely to do all over again. There is also a theory that Theon got the Captain's daughter pregnant and Sam saw them in his last Feast chapter. So, there is a chance he gets elected, dies, but the line is secure :dunno:  Maybe Asha raises his baby?

I thought theon would return to winterfell which is the only 'home' he has truly known. In doing so he would try to right his wrongs and overthrow Ramsey. However I feel he will die trying and fully go home, which is where he can be with Robb and Ned and finally be at peace. 

Im probably wrong though. And I just want to add another nod to Alfie's amazing acting he really is fantastic!

Archived