Bran rooted to the spot? (GoT Season 6 spoilers)

There are two opposing sides it seems, on the one hand that Bran doesn't need to be under the tree, on the other hand, that Bran is going to stay under the tree for the rest of his life. Given that the textual evidence is inconclusive and people can and do draw different conclusions from Bran's personality, his circumstances et al, how much stock can we place in the TV show when the child of the forest (I'm not sure she's been given a name) explicitly tells Meera "he's not going to stay here forever"? I know the show diverges quite considerably in certain aspects, and the plot lines are seriously muddled, but the show seems to be heading in the same overall direction.

So does this new bit of information shed light on Bran's future after training or do people think it's irrelevant because it's in the show or do people think I'm misinterpreting what was said?

2 hours ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I never thought Bran was going to stay there forever.  Anyone who thought that is an idiot.

Me neither but many people seem to do. Given the show is reviving Jon and we're going to see the Tower of Joy where I suspect it will confirm R+L=J, I suspect also it is giving us a glimpse into Bran's future and he will not stay under this tree, at least not yet.

I dont get it also why bran has to stay in cave butI agree that show will change "How " factor there is good theories about gorne way which is possible also in the book " the fact I get from this new is that GRRM will made bran important so show also hs to make him more focus point t least equal to sansa or arya

BR became one with the tree simply to prolong his life because he is ~125 years old. It seems to me he had his powers long before he went to the tree. So instead of dying at a normal age, he merges with the tree to prolong his life enough to help train the next greenseer.

Bran on the other hand is very young and there is no need for him to be rooted in place.

Just my opinion.

16 hours ago, Apple the Great said:

Me neither but many people seem to do. Given the show is reviving Jon and we're going to see the Tower of Joy where I suspect it will confirm R+L=J, I suspect also it is giving us a glimpse into Bran's future and he will not stay under this tree, at least not yet.

He will end up in Winterfell in the end, where he has great access to a Weirwood. Hopefully helping his brother Rickon rule the North.

4 hours ago, DireGhost said:

He will end up in Winterfell in the end, where he has great access to a Weirwood. Hopefully helping his brother Rickon rule the North.

I think Bran will rule as eldest, until he dies. Any of his potential (but unlikely) children take precedence over Rickon.

8 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I think Gornes way has been mentioned in every book + TWOIAF for a reason.  It has to get used and the only character available to use it is Bran.

I hope he skinchanges into a dragon, picks up himself, Hodor and Meera and flies away.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:28 AM, DireGhost said:

BR became one with the tree simply to prolong his life because he is ~125 years old. It seems to me he had his powers long before he went to the tree. So instead of dying at a normal age, he merges with the tree to prolong his life enough to help train the next greenseer.

Bran on the other hand is very young and there is no need for him to be rooted in place.

Just my opinion.

I will amend my first comment a little. I don't believe Bran will stay there, but it certainly is possible. I do agree with one poster in another thread who suggested that it would certainly add to the bittersweet ending. I also agree that due to the incredible rarity of greenseers, Bran may choose to honor his gift and stay.

BUT...

I actually just posed a question in another thread (same alluded to) about necessity verse choice. My understanding of BR is a bit hazy at the moment, but is it possible for Bran to retain his function as a greenseer without submitting to the confines of a tree? Even then, it comes down to Bran's desires and what he holds dear. He could (probably will) suffer through an internal struggle of family verse worldly responsibility. Now you mentioned the age thing, which is an interesting point. If Bran can satisfy his role as a greenseer independent of the tree, perhaps he leaves momentarily and the story ends with him returning to the tree to fulfill the same function that you just suggested (bold). At the same time, we have no real idea how Westeros will look after the story. Will a greenseer still have an important role, or will the ability become obsolete? Many believe that the wall will come down indefinitely, so perhaps the GS is no longer significant by story's end? If so, why would Bran stay?

6 hours ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

I will amend my first comment a little. I don't believe Bran will stay there, but it certainly is possible. I do agree with one poster in another thread who suggested that it would certainly add to the bittersweet ending. I also agree that due to the incredible rarity of greenseers, Bran may choose to honor his gift and stay.

BUT...

I actually just posed a question in another thread (same alluded to) about necessity verse choice. My understanding of BR is a bit hazy at the moment, but is it possible for Bran to retain his function as a greenseer without submitting to the confines of a tree? Even then, it comes down to Bran's desires and what he holds dear. He could (probably will) suffer through an internal struggle of family verse worldly responsibility. Now you mentioned the age thing, which is an interesting point. If Bran can satisfy his role as a greenseer independent of the tree, perhaps he leaves momentarily and the story ends with him returning to the tree to fulfill the same function that you just suggested (bold). At the same time, we have no real idea how Westeros will look after the story. Will a greenseer still have an important role, or will the ability become obsolete? Many believe that the wall will come down indefinitely, so perhaps the GS is no longer significant by story's end? If so, why would Bran stay?

I don't believe Bran has to be rooted in to the tree to access the 'weirnet', much less do I believe that it could not be at any other weir tree.  To bring this back to the OP, given that the child of the forest tells Meera that Bran is not going to stay there forever in the show, I think this all but confirms that Bran will not have to remain under the tree and indeed, he won't.

7 hours ago, Apple the Great said:

I don't believe Bran has to be rooted in to the tree to access the 'weirnet', much less do I believe that it could not be at any other weir tree.  To bring this back to the OP, given that the child of the forest tells Meera that Bran is not going to stay there forever in the show, I think this all but confirms that Bran will not have to remain under the tree and indeed, he won't.

Just a heads up (and I know you have spoiler in the title), but you may want to place the bold in a hidden box. I have no idea how to... Just a heads up so you don't get slashed by others. 

To that point, if the show is staying close (and I think in this instance they may), I think Bran may leave. I think BR is a swell character and I like the entire greenseer plot, but I am not entirely thrilled with the concept of the puppeteer in the tree. I suspect that we will learn more about BR in Winds. Help me here, but were there any prophesies or hints that I am overlooking that  suggests BR needed to live to train the "ultimate" GS; thus his life in the tree. It seems that Martin is setting Bran up as the master of all GS, although I could be wrong. If his sole purpose was to hone his skills and prolong his life to help Bran, living in the tree makes sense. After his training, BR can fade away and Bran can carry out his duties or whatever. In the other thread, I made the point that Arya was IMO not simply going to function as a toll of the FM but would ultimately leave them behind after her training. Perhaps Bran will take a similar route. 

Consider this, or not. Sorry if this strays too far from your OP. After Ned died, his children were left without a mentor. 

Jon - left to the wall and gained a tremendous amount of experience and "tips" from several people - Mormount, Mance, Tormund, Stannis, Ygritte, etc   

Sansa - shipped to KL to marry Joff, and along the way learned indirectly/directly how to function as a proper courtier from Cersei, Margery, LF, etc. 

Arya - Honed her skills from Syrio, the Hound, and the FM among others

Rickon - He has Osha and it seems Davos at some point as well

Bran -  the Reeds, yes Hodor, and BR. 

It seems that the children are temporarily in positions to gain the experience, insight, and certain intangibles to function properly in their established (by Martin) roles with a particular skill set. I left Robb out on purpose because he seemed to take in less and ultimately was murdered. The point is that Bran is in somewhat of a training period before he steps out of the tree to fulfill his role. This may not happen, but it does appear that the Stark children are collectively in somewhat of a developmental or training period. This is why I tend to agree that Bran will ultimately leave the tree. 

Until last week I had been wondering what the intent was. It doesn't make sense in the structure of the story to just leave Bran there for the rest of the series, but OTOH Martin does a lot of depressing things in the overall story. Last week was a welcomed glimpse into future plans for Bran.

Archived