What does the title mean?(Possible Spoilers)

IsleOfFaces

Oathbreaker. Will this have something to do with Brienne and her sword oathkeeper? Maybe it will be about Jon leaving the night's watch?(not really breaking oaths because of his death) Is it about Dany's wedding vows... If she doesn't join the Dosh Khaleen she is breaking a tradition of the Dothraki. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Current "Oaths":

Jon's oath to the Night's Watch

Brienne's oath to Sansa

Danny's oath to Khal Drogo

Jamie's oath to the King's Watch

Osha's oath to take care of Rickon

Alliser's oath to the Night's Watch (I think this will definitely have to do with this episode)

(?) Ned's oath to Lyanna

Am I missing some?

Also, Oathkeeper: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Oathkeeper

I was thinking Jon and him breaking Night's Watch oath, then I remembered that part of their vow that goes something like "my watch ends only in my death". Technically speaking, he kinda died right?

I like the Thorne angle though, him facing the consequences of his actions. Also TOJ and Neds promise. 

There will probably be multiple situations where oaths are broken, based off how many times home was mentioned last episode.

1 hour ago, Darren Allen said:

Robb Stark threatens to the Greatjon that he will hang him as an "Oathbreaker" if he betrays the cause. The title is a clear indication, I think, that House Umber will betray the North by gifting Rickon Stark to Ramsay Bolton.

Because ... reasons?

I think that it will encompass many themes, as the episodes usually do

Something to do with Brienne, Thorne definitely, I really hope we see a FB with Jaime and Aerys, I think Rickon is the gift, so Umber's breaking their oath to the Starks, I don't think we will see the inside of the TOJ in this episode, so I don't think Ned will be an oath breaker in this one.

1 hour ago, CrastorsLivingSon said:

Because ... reasons?

Character motivation has never stood in the way of a good story before, but suppose there could be any number of reasons why the Umbers betray the Starks. In that clip, it didn't seem like Greatjon was all that opposed to breaking his oath at first, anyway, did it (TV Greatjon isn't half the character as book Greatjon)? But they could be upset that a Stark, Jon Snow, allowed the wildlings to cross the wall. They could be afraid that someone will rat them out as harboring a Stark. They could be afraid of this new psychopath serving as Warden of the North and are looking to get in his good graces.

Or, if we give them the benefit of the doubt, it could be that they believe that Ramsay is on their side. Perhaps they heard word that he had married Sansa Stark and murdered his traitor father, and presumed from those facts that he is sympathetic to the Starks... But if that's the case, "Oathbreaker" doesn't fit the theme. I don't think it's a coincidence that the term "Oathbreaker" loomed so large in Robb's interactions with the Greatjon, and next week we have the Umbers clearly interacting with Ramsay in an episode entitled "Oathbreaker."

I'm not buying the fake Rickon theory tossed around here. I know the books have a mother giving up a newborn to be slain for Aegon, but that kind of storyline won't play as well with a television audience... I mean, sacrificing a kid for political intrigue? By the good guys? Not likely.

My guess is that it's a call-back to "Oathkeeper," S4E4, when Jon gives an impassioned speech and wins volunteers to ride north of the Wall and deal with the mutineers. In "Oathbreaker," he'll give an impassioned speech and win volunteers to ride south of the Wall to deal with Ramsay Bolton.

I don't think he'll ride out yet -- that would be moving awfully fast -- but I think he'll give the speech and "get his swords."

5 hours ago, CrastorsLivingSon said:

Naw.  If it is Ned.  Breaking his oath to Robert to keep his promise to Lyanna.  

But that is giving a lot of credit to the writers to be nuanced.  

Yes, but we are getting the ToJ, so if R+L=J is confirmed, there also has to be a scene or dialogue about how Ned decides to break his honor and oath to always be true to his wife.

7 hours ago, CrastorsLivingSon said:

Because ... reasons?

greatjon is a hostage to the bolton allies in the south is he not? 

now i think that will change soon...

also totally going to be a few people this could be about like jon, alister, jamie, and etc...

Jaime is i think the most obvious. 

also Ned never having broken his oath to Catelyn will be there. 

Archived