Hodor Theory

Ole Trieloff

15 hours ago, Ole Trieloff said:

Since we found out in the last Episode that Hodor used to be able to Talk i remembered this Theory and was wondering if that might become relevant. 

Anyways tell me what you think about it. Or come up with other Theories what you think what traumatized Hodor so much that he can't talk. 

Here's my theory. Probably has been mentioned before somewhere.

They made it a point to show Lyanna riding again (if they aren't showing tKotLT then why make a point to show her riding)? They also made it a point to mention Hodor aka Wyliss aka Walder was a stable boy again in the same scene.

Just feel like it has something to do with the Rhaegar "kidnapping", especially since the TOJ should be next episode.

What if he was with Lyanna tending the horses when Rhaegar "captured" her and Hodor was hurt somehow during the meeting?

Or, what if he gave Lyanna a horse and wasn't supposed to and while she was out with the horse she was "captured" slash ran away. And the Stark brothers were pissed and hurt him when they got back (probably Brandon). Ned always felt bad and kept him around and looked after him.

Or Hodor knew about R+L so Ned figured out a way to shut him up for good.

Or maybe Hodor and Lyanna were in the stables fooling around and Hodor got kicked in the head, but not before giving her his seed (H + L = J)

ive heard the 1st theory- this one below before

17 hours ago, Ole Trieloff said:

Since we found out in the last Episode that Hodor used to be able to Talk i remembered this Theory and was wondering if that might become relevant. 

Anyways tell me what you think about it. Or come up with other Theories what you think what traumatized Hodor so much that he can't talk. 

I've googled it and not found this anywhere yet: 

Did anyone else notice that he already has a scar on his right temple in the flashback scene? He can talk and has a giant scar on his right temple.

It confirms that the Hodor-ing  is not a result of the head injury that caused the scar. It doesn't prove much else however, as the hodor-ing could be the result of a separate head injury later. At best it can be an interpretation that magic might have caused the hodor-ing. 

2 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

:wub: this so much.

Well it would explain why the NK looked at Jon with a special recognition last season, because he knows that Stark's are the keepers of his wife (either with or without his consent). And it's why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.

Who knows, there are so many theories - but it does seem obvious that the Starks and the Others/White Walkers are connected somehow - and the God of Winter being the frost monster's wife imprisoned in a crypt has a very Nordic/Robert E Howard tone to it which suits the story so far.

21 minutes ago, ummester said:

Well it would explain why the NK looked at Jon with a special recognition last season, because he knows that Stark's are the keepers of his wife (either with or without his consent). And it's why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.

Who knows, there are so many theories - but it does seem obvious that the Starks and the Others/White Walkers are connected somehow - and the God of Winter being the frost monster's wife imprisoned in a crypt has a very Nordic/Robert E Howard tone to it which suits the story so far.

Fun theory, I really like these kind of theories: Those which make sense, but aren't very obvious (at least, not for me). I did often wonder where the phrase 'There must always be a Stark in Winterfell' came from. The blood of the Starks having power to keep the Great Other / his wife inside the crypths would be cool. However, thus far I only saw it as a normal phrase, meaning nothing more than: There should always be someone from the family to keep Winterfell safe. 

But who knows, when the time comes we will know! 

Good theory and I really like the idea of the crypts holding something and the relevance of "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell"

However, the theory states at the start that Hod (Hodr) was the norse god of winter, but in fact that was Skaði (sometimes anglicized as SkadiSkade, or Skathi), a jötunn and goddess associated with bowhuntingskiing, winter, and mountains.

There are a few references to Hod as the god of darkness and winter, but the only surviving reference to Hod in Norse Mythology is the death of Baldr and there's no mention of Hod as god of winter. 

Another interesting snippet from norse myrtology would be Fimbulvinter. 

In Norse mythologyFimbulvetr (or fimbulvinter), commonly rendered in English as Fimbulwinter, is the immediate prelude to the events of Ragnarök. It simply means ''Mighty Winter".
Fimbulvetr is the harsh winter that precedes the end of the world and puts an end to all life on Earth. Fimbulwinter is three successive winters where snow comes in from all directions, without any intervening summer. During this time, there will be innumerable wars.

25 minutes ago, Hodor's Election Agent said:

Best theory ever!

H + L = J

You are a genius.

I Hodor in your honour.

Well, the way Lyanna went 'he's got giant's blood in him' sounded just like Osha when she was staring at his giant prosthetic - so the theory is possible, Hodor's little Hodor seems to impress the ladies.

TBH I wouldn't be reading too much from the show.  I always got the impression from the books Ned didn't remember Hodor as Walder/Wylis.  Granted I may be misremembering. 

So my feeling is.  If there any importance to Hodor it won't be in show. 

Archived