Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

Rhom

I liked when someone replied to him with some commas to add and other grammatical changes and he wrote back that he felt the way it was written conveyed the character's frantic emotions at the time and he would go with emotional impact over structural perfection.

4 hours ago, Pilusmagnus said:

There's another tweet where he says the page is actually from the second book but I'm not sure whether he's telling the truth or making fun of me for asking:

I think if he was making fun of you, you'd know it. :P

Joe said on the last progress update at the end of July that he was working on the second book, so that jives. For this trilogy he's writing a rough draft of all 3 first, then he'll go back and revise, rewrite, etc, etc the first one and get that ready for publication. So it'll be a while until we see that first one but the 2nd and 3rd books should follow on pretty quickly after that.

8 hours ago, matt b said:

I think if he was making fun of you, you'd know it. :P

Joe said on the last progress update at the end of July that he was working on the second book, so that jives. For this trilogy he's writing a rough draft of all 3 first, then he'll go back and revise, rewrite, etc, etc the first one and get that ready for publication. So it'll be a while until we see that first one but the 2nd and 3rd books should follow on pretty quickly after that.

I know, it's just baffling that he would be willing to share an extract from the second book when we still know next to nothing about the first one.

14 hours ago, Pilusmagnus said:

I know, it's just baffling that he would be willing to share an extract from the second book when we still know next to nothing about the first one.

Joe seems very much like an "in the moment" guy.  If that's what he was working on that day, I think that's what he'd show us regardless of book order.

On 14/09/2017 at 1:04 AM, Pilusmagnus said:

Yes. This.

So it's maybe not something you should read at the very end, but after all the big books in any case. The story that I think does set up the next trilogy is Tough Times All Over (am I the only one who thought the package may have been containing the Seed?) so I guess the last two stories in my order could be swapped.

Wasn't the Seed fatal if not handled in a particular way? I thought that story was just a joke about those sort of MacGuffin type sequences where something important (but ultimately not very) passes between a whole bunch of different people in varied, funny ways, not actually foreshadowing something. Like in Pulp Fiction or Guy Ritchie movies.

I like the introduction of more modern warfare, incidentally. iirc I haven't read any fantasy books set in that sort of time period. 

Brandon Sanderson's Wax and Wayne books are set in the Mistborn world, in sort of a Wild West setting with revolvers, trains, and the like. I really enjoyed the hell out of them. I struggled to even finish the Mistborn ones, as I simply never liked Vin or Elend (or anyone at all in the series, really), but the setting combined with the magic system was much more engaging.

I've brought up Abercrombie to more casual GoT fans than I can count. I'm really stoked for his next stuff.

5 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Wasn't the Seed fatal if not handled in a particular way? I thought that story was just a joke about those sort of MacGuffin type sequences where something important (but ultimately not very) passes between a whole bunch of different people in varied, funny ways, not actually foreshadowing something. Like in Pulp Fiction or Guy Ritchie movies.

I like the introduction of more modern warfare, incidentally. iirc I haven't read any fantasy books set in that sort of time period. 

That was my recollection of the Seed too. Isn't the whole point of Bayaz recruiting Ferro that she is unique in being able to handle it 'relatively' safely. I think there is little chance that it was the Seed being passed between everyone

20 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Carcolf (and the others) would be dying within hours of handling the seed, so it can't be that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first book in the new trilogy is called A Little Hatred:

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/assets/OrionPublishingGroup/downloads/Catalogues/Orion-Rights-Guide-Frankfurt-2017.pdf

A brand new First Law trilogy from bestseller Joe Abercrombie, this will be the fantasy novel of the year

As powerful and compelling as ever, this new trilogy picks up the action with the children of some of his most iconic characters – Dogman, Jezal and Glokta among them – all of whom find themselves as embroiled in politics, war and danger as their parents before them.

Gollancz | May 2019 | 560pp | Ms due November 2018

1 hour ago, Jussi said:

I’ve gotta wonder if that’s not a placeholder title. Just seems odd that @Joe Abercrombie would let the title just sort of seep out rather than taking to Twitter or his website.

:dunno: 

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Any early guesses at the quote? There's this one from Alice Walker:

"A little hatred, keenly directed, is a useful thing."

It's from an essay about writing, which seems like something Joe would have read.

That seems to be a good fit. 

Also, May 2019 is so far away. Ugh. 

On 20-10-2017 at 6:49 PM, unJon said:

That seems to be a good fit. 

Also, May 2019 is so far away. Ugh. 

Indeed. Had been hoping for a late 2018 release for the first book, even though that hope was based on nothing.

Archived