Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

Rhom

21 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well the plan as I understand was that a longer wait now means less time between books once he starts to release them. I think I can bear that trade off

Well yeah that is why we had the multi-year wait already.

I had hoped the first book might come out late next year, and then the others would follow soon in for instance 6 months periods. But clearly May 2019 is a looooong way off. I guess if you wanna see an upside in this it's good to know this early on that we shouldn't expect something in 2018.

18 hours ago, Ajûrbkli said:

Exactly.  We've already had books with 'plot' and 'characters' but what actually utility does that have?  I'd rather have a human cookbook disguised with narrative.

23 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Coz if it doesn't it will be a completey pointless endeavour?

Some years ago here, I posted a recipe for Frey Pies.

Perhaps that could be an inspiration?

22 hours ago, SeanF said:

Some years ago here, I posted a recipe for Frey Pies.

Perhaps that could be an inspiration?

How do you know it wasn't an inspiration already? I can't see it but Shenkt could be making a pie or two as people around him wither and die of old age.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, TheRevanchist said:

Shieeet, I was hoping for a late 2018 release, but it seems that we will be lucky if we get it on 2019.

While I certainly can't wait to get my hands on more Abercrombie, I'm totally cool with any delays since this is the start of a new series.  Far different situation than the angst that accompanies gaps in ongoing series.

Also in that article he has confirmed the working title:

This last 2 month period has mostly been spent revising the first book in my forthcoming trilogy, which now has a working title: A Little Hatred.

This new trilogy seems to be the most ambitious work Joe has written so far. If this "writing before publishing" thing pays out, it can be really terrific.

He has let slip this interesting bit of information in the comments section of his last progress report:

Five of the central cast of seven have parents a diligent reader will have run into at least in passing before. I won’t say who, though…

I'd say that Arde's and Jezal's children are a given. I hope Monza's is in there too.

14 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I imagine if Logen did get Ferro pregnant their child would be, like, really good at making people dead.

It works this way around as well.

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

This new trilogy seems to be the most ambitious work Joe has written so far. If this "writing before publishing" thing pays out, it can be really terrific.

He has let slip this interesting bit of information in the comments section of his last progress report:

Five of the central cast of seven have parents a diligent reader will have run into at least in passing before. I won’t say who, though…

I'd say that Arde's and Jezal's children are a given. I hope Monza's is in there too.

Javre and Whirrun :) 

You can say it as "making dead people" or "making people dead", although I just realised that means exactly the same thing. Sorry, that seemed to be a wrong way of saying it when I shot through the thread early on. Need more caffeine.

• 1 month later...

First Law TV or move project possibly in progress.

The source is little sketchy, so take with a grain of salt, but if it's a fake it was a reasonable amount of trouble to go through, which seems unlikely, but you never know. There is some IMDB information suggesting that a project is indeed underway, but since we know IMDB can be user-edited it is not conclusive.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

First Law TV or move project possibly in progress.

The source is little sketchy, so take with a grain of salt, but if it's a fake it was a reasonable amount of trouble to go through, which seems unlikely, but you never know. There is some IMDB information suggesting that a project is indeed underway, but since we know IMDB can be user-edited it is not conclusive.

I guess they could dodge a lot of cost with book 1 = season 1 and then expand the budget for the bigger scenes in season 2 if it catches on. A film would be nicer if they could capture the characterisation in a shorter format.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess they could dodge a lot of cost with book 1 = season 1 and then expand the budget for the bigger scenes in season 2 if it catches on. A film would be nicer if they could capture the characterisation in a shorter format.

Book 1 has very little magic and no big battles at all.  I would think you could do it with a pretty modest budget.  All that comes to mind as potentially an issue would be The House of the Maker, and presumably you could make that work with some limited special effects. 

Book 2 has a big battle at the end, although even that is covered in fog so it wouldn't require a big cast.  Glotka doesn't do hardly any fighting in the siege of Dagoska, so that is also manageable. 

Book 3 would be comparatively very challenging.  The battle in the High Places really ought to have hundreds of extras, and then the Battle of Adua has that plus exploding buildings and Eaters flying around. 

On 12.01.2018 at 10:08 PM, Maithanet said:

Book 1 has very little magic and no big battles at all.  I would think you could do it with a pretty modest budget.  All that comes to mind as potentially an issue would be The House of the Maker, and presumably you could make that work with some limited special effects. 

If the leak is legit, they're going to take quite some liberties with the source material and add a lot of new stuff. Like how Khalul, Ishri and emperor Uthman will all be appearing as on-screen characters in Ferro's storyline.

I love the books and hope it's true, but if they want to be successful they HAVE to take some liberty with the source material to at least make season 1 interesting if they want to get renewed. The Blade Itself is not a enjoyable book per se, You get to meet the characters and Bayaz is recruiting his crew for an adventure. The end. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived