Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works (and in what order to read them) SPOILERS

Rhom

On 5/4/2016 at 10:00 AM, Consigliere said:

I finished "Hell" last night and, imo, that was hands down the best story so far. I guess there is a decent chance that Kahdia might still be alive. 

I thought they might be taking him to turn him into an Eater.

I thought they simply respected him for being willing to give up everything and be so self-sacrificial for something he cared about. Sort of showing that the Eaters aren't entirely evil and have some redeeming features. Or at least some kind of honour code they adhere to

16 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Sharp Ends was great, though it felt more like a Fill-in-the-Gaps piece mixed with a novella about Shev and Javre than it did a proper collection of independent short stories.

This is what makes the book work for me so far. It doesn't feel like a random collection of odds and ends but little pieces that feel connected (mainly via shev/Javre).

16 hours ago, sologdin said:

i see from a recollection in the fourth S/J chapter that shev interacted with logen at some point.  is that represented anywhere else? i.e., has she been in the story the entire time and i just missed it?

I think Joe's been quite crafty in making us think Shev's been around in all the other books as I also feel like that too. Nicely done by him.

Shev and Javre and Whirrun was the most I've ever laughed while reading. PLEASE give us more of their interactions.

Also, I really hope Javre search for a wizards thing is shown in the new trilogy or atleast another short story. I want more of her and Shev !

2 minutes ago, ruzvelt said:

I got the impression that wizards thing is the same thing in Fools Jobs and the the mysterious package on that circuitous route in Sipani.

same.  though I suppose there can be more than one numinous object in this setting.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right, so I don't have the book on me so this characters name is probably going to be wrong, but did we ever figure out who Carnolf's dad is?

I can't see any clue to who her father is.

I'd like it to be Bayaz.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right, so I don't have the book on me so this characters name is probably going to be wrong, but did we ever figure out who Carnolf's dad is?

Anyone recall the expression Carnolf attributes to her father? Maybe we can search the ebooks for them. 

6 hours ago, sologdin said:

carcolf's father said that a person should stick to their principles.  is that something anyone says elsewhere?

I didn't have time to look for it, you've got to be realistic about these things.

Carcolf's dad, I reckon, is Brock Sr - the traitor from First Law and father-in-law to Finree. 

(editing for additional info now I'm not on my phone): Reasons - if her brother was someone important like Jez or Glokta, that would have been made clearer, but all we know is that her bro is a fairly mild man, in Adua, married to a judgmental woman who has a strong personality like Carcolf & bro's dad, who always looked at the world with a sneer. All 3 family members were mentioned in the sort of way that suggests the astute reader might find them familiar, and I can't think of any other family (bar Jez or Glokta) where we have that info. I'd need to reread the First Law books to see what we know about Brock Sr, but at the moment that's what I'm thinking.

12 hours ago, unJon said:

Only have Heroes downloaded on kindle and not in that book. Hmmm. Anyone with easy ebook access to the others willing to search?

I did a search for that phrase and it does not appear in any of the published works.

I also get the feeling that we should be able to piece this together but so far I've had no luck figuring this one out. Wish Joe pops in and helps us out even if it is just to confirm whether or not Carcolf's father has appeared in the books.

@MinDonner - I'm not so sure about Brock Sr. The Brocks were one of the most powerful and wealthy families in Midderland yet we know that Carcolf was a criminal in Small Kindnesses which is set 2 years before TBI. According to Shev, Carcolf was a dancer before that. Also, Lord Brocks daughter and two sons were arrested by the inquisition in TLAOK but granted mercy by the crown.

My gut feeling is that Carcolf's family might be minor nobility but more likely merchant or peasant class.

Ah, the timeline's a bit damning, didn't spot that. I'd disregard anything "according to Shev" though, especially in the early stories. 

Wonder about the connection to Horald also? Unless just part of the general criminal fraternity? 

Archived