U.S. Election: It's Gonna Be a Huge Thread, It's Gonna Be the Best Thread!

Jace, Extat

So Trump says that he'd shoot down any Russian planes that buzz American ships. That's the international relations equivalent of pulling a gun on someone who flips you off.

This, plus the way he handled the Corey Lewandowski affair, provides a blueprint for how he'll escalate a minor incident into nuclear war.

The only saving grace of the Republican nomination process being over but the Democratic one going on at least through June 7, is that it means Republican turnout in California will probably tank while Democratic turnout should be pretty high. This is important because California's jungle primary for all general election races is at the same time as its Presidential primary. Which means there's a good chance we're going to end up with some swing districts where its ends up being Democrat vs. Democrat in November since the Republican candidate came in 3rd, or worse, in the jungle primary. Hell, the open senate race could even end up being all Democratic thing; although that's a safe seat no matter what.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

The only saving grace of the Republican nomination process being over but the Democratic one going on at least through June 7, is that it means Republican turnout in California will probably tank while Democratic turnout should be pretty high. This is important because California's jungle primary for all general election races is at the same time as its Presidential primary. Which means there's a good chance we're going to end up with some swing districts where its ends up being Democrat vs. Democrat in November since the Republican candidate came in 3rd, or worse, in the jungle primary. Hell, the open senate race could even end up being all Democratic thing; although that's a safe seat no matter what.

the senate primary will almost certainly be two democrats facing off: future president Kamala Harris versus Loretta Sanchez, even without republican turnout tanking. The 2024 battle for the presidency between Harris and republican Joni Ernst will be rather entertaining.

Nice point about the House though, that will be an interesting outcome to watch, election night.

2 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

So Trump says that he'd shoot down any Russian planes that buzz American ships. That's the international relations equivalent of pulling a gun on someone who flips you off.

This, plus the way he handled the Corey Lewandowski affair, provides a blueprint for how he'll escalate a minor incident into nuclear war.

I'll bet, if you check, that the plane thing is one of the ITTSHDTHW (insane things trump says he'll do that he won't) as opposed to more grounded ITTSHDTHW (insane things Trump says he'll do that he will).

To you and me, these are impossible to tell apart, even in abbreviation, but then we aren't as naturally tuned in to the nuances of Trump's insanity. If we were, it would obviously form the solid ground upon which to put this man in charge of the world's largest nuclear arsenal.

Poor you and me, stuck waiting to find out which of his insane plans will come to fruition only by experiencing them and then going 'oh, he meant that one.'

Is it just me, or does Paul Ryan's beard make him look like he's on the tail end of a mean two week bender? 

27 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I'll bet, if you check, that the plane thing is one of the ITTSHDTHW (insane things trump says he'll do that he won't) as opposed to more grounded ITTSHDTHW (insane things Trump says he'll do that he will).

DYEA,B?

TS,IAWYP.

I'm half joking, and maybe it's just his dreary demeanor as of late that's contributing to my perception. But he looked rather haggard the last time I saw him with a beard.

Or maybe I'm just projecting Reince Priebus' obvious alcoholism on to Ryan.

eta:

Link is probably NSFW

34 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I think you are both looking at some news site that's using old pictures. Paul Ryan looked very cleanshaven when he was talking with CNN about his not being willing to support Trump yet. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/opinions/paul-ryan-donald-trump-opinion-cupp/#

He shaved? That settles it, he is going to run for President!

More seriously, Jeb Bush has announced that he will not support Trump (or Clinton). Which is big news in the sense that it gives even more cover to the donors who don't want to support Trump either.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I know that Dubya is still persona non grata, but his dad not supporting Trump? That's pretty big news. Not surprising, but pretty big news. 

Jeb, not H.W.

Although both Dubya and H.W. have announced that they won't be going to convention or participating in any election events, so they at least aren't fully onboard the Trump train either. Side note: McCain and Romney have also said they won't be at the convention, so right now Bob Dole is the only living past Republican nominee who will be there.

As far as I can tell, McCain is the only living GOP nominee that's come out and said he'd support Trump, and it was a pretty tepid endorsement. And I'm rather surprised he did it considering the things Trump has said. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it just me, or does Paul Ryan's beard make him look like he's on the tail end of a mean two week bender? 

DYEA,B?

TS,IAWYP.

I like yours too, except they make me think of Prince, and therefore funky sad.

Also, not really, but I LIFT!

4 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Sadly, my illustrious co-workers agree with him :bang: Never mind that I tried explaining to them that this kind of shit was happening all the time during the cold war.

Archived