Cycling 2019 - the British are coming.

BigFatCoward

39 minutes ago, lmanion said:

Im interested to see what BMC does with Van Avermet if they give him free reign to go for it for himself or if they are all in for Porte and use him to try and keep Porte in touch with other GC guys.

Im picking Sagan for the stage win and Thomas to be in yellow after the stage

Since its pretty much confirmed Porte and GVA will be on different new teams next year there isn't much that they can do if he just looks out for himself.

Ouch. Porte out again, he's had terribly bad luck.

This may sound harsh especially at a time like this, but for all the talk I don't really consider him a Grand Tour contender in light of the fact he's only had a single top 10 finish (5th) in a Grand Tour for his whole career. He hasn't shown the three-week staying power to date. He's still probably got another 3 years left in him so he'll have more opportunities.

I wonder if Nibali is going to use his pave-surfing skills to try and get some time on the GC contenders today.

Degenkolb gets the win and his first stage win in the Tour - good on him. Funny to think he's still "only" 29 when he's been around a little bit now.

And Teejay got wrecked right after being promoted by Porte crashing out, hard day for BMC. My old go to for "Not Froome" was Quintana but I've been struggling to have any confidence in him, I don't know where to turn for this tour now. Would be easier if I liked Nibali, but I do not.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

And Teejay got wrecked right after being promoted by Porte crashing out, hard day for BMC. My old go to for "Not Froome" was Quintana but I've been struggling to have any confidence in him, I don't know where to turn for this tour now. Would be easier if I liked Nibali, but I do not.

I guess Geraint wins the “Not Froome” ticket now? He doesn’t fit “Not Sky” though :(.

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

I guess Geraint wins the “Not Froome” ticket now? He doesn’t fit “Not Sky” though :(.

It's pretty much G or Dumoulin, isn't it? Unless Yates can do better than his brother.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:39 AM, Paxter said:

Poor Porte. Two years in a row. I was already a little bit bored by this Tour, but that nearly seals it.

Good news is that there are still 10 other great podium candidates left.

2 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Good news is that there are still 10 other great podium candidates left.

Matthews winning Green last year was cool...but we Aussies want that Yellow jersey again!

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Matthews winning Green last year was cool...but we Aussies want that Yellow jersey again!

Unfortunately we don't have many up and coming GC contenders in the Aussie ranks. It would have been interesting to see what Simon Clarke could do with a good team, but he'll never get a chance to lead one.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

How will we win the tour this year lads? 'Lets try following sky up and down the mountains, maybe that will work'. Please try something different, anyone. 

But it's bound to work eventually - bound to, I tell ya! :lmao:

Think the mentality that allows cyclists to cover hundreds of miles enduring heat, mountains and spectators dressed as giant chickens may also not be a mentality that greatly encourages innovation. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How will we win the tour this year lads? 'Lets try following sky up and down the mountains, maybe that will work'. Please try something different, anyone. 

Yeah, I'd really like to see some variation from the last few years overall shape. Van Avermaet aggressively riding off into the break while wearing the yellow was a nice change up even if its only possible due to him not being a contender. I didn't even have an issue with Froome when I started watching cycling (the first year he won) but I'm unreasonable resenting him now just because his/Sky's dominance keeps the tour stale.

I'm not a team manager, but the explosive attacks on mountains the last few years sometimes expose Froome early in the tour but overall they just burn out the attackers - Sky just ride it down with cadence. Maybe trying a different style of attack, pushing the peloton earlier in the day rather than letting Sky keep their energy reserves high for the end. Of course even explosive attacks are better than not trying at all and then getting dropped anyway.

Stage 9 in 2013, froome was isolated the whole stage. It didn't matter in the end as he was many levels above everyone else. I doubt he would be able to respond as well now with the giro in his legs. And the level of competition is stronger this year. 

The problem is that Sky are just too strong. If you try and control the peloton, they just hitch a ride along with you and conserve their energy. If you let them control the peloton, then they set their own pace and are strong enough to keep it going themselves. It's a Catch 22.

I think the only way to beat Sky/Froome is to collude in those high mountain stages. Have all the other GC contenders take turns making attacks and force Froome to chase down each one himself. If he ever drops off the back with you, stay put and sacrifice your own time and let the attack succeed, always force him to do all the work to make it back. That would wear him out, but it requires a lot of coordination and discipline from all the other teams.

Archived