Cycling 2019 - the British are coming.

BigFatCoward

Roglic predictably takes the stage with quite a big gap - although I doubt he'll be able to sustain it through the three weeks as @divica points out.

Dumoulin surprisingly a bit off the pace at 28', Yates and Nibali a little stronger. Although a few seconds at this stage doesn't really mean anything, a good statement by Nibali that he's in it to win it.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, divica said:

You should watch mire stages. I highly doubt there aren t short but very inclined mountains within the first 2 weeks that will be attacked,

This is giro… That kind of boring race only happen in tour.

ps roglic won t be able to keep up with the contenders during all 3 weeks.

Go and look at the profiles, there is almost nothing in the first 2 weeks, its an incredibly backloaded route.

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

No Bernal, now Dumoulin is out of contention along with Landa. Nibali has strong voodoo powers. 

Did you see today's finish? Like I told you it was a very short and inclined slope. Even if there wasn t the fall someone would have atacked it.

I think almost all of these big competitions nibali won were because of falls...

Ouch, there goes Dumoulin.

Looks like early on it's already forming into a three way race between Roglic, Yates and Nibali.

It will be interesting to see if Roglic has the staying power, especially given the third week is mostly mountains - he might look good all the way up until then and start to crack right near the end.

Massive blow again by Roglic. And still this is not over of course because there is so muc uphill work yet to come.

Yates took a way bigger loss than expected today though. And Lopez Moreno as well to a lesser extent, didn't think he'd be hit that hard. But Yates.... wow.

Such a shame about Dumoulin's crash though, it has really changed this Giro.

I think Nibali is looking good as he always comes good in the third week and Has a load of grand tour experience. Roglic can't afford a bad day but is looking good early on. 

Real shame Dumoulin is out and Yates lost so much time in the TT. Mollema had a great ride and hopefully can be a contender in the high mountains.

2 hours ago, lmanion said:

I think Nibali is looking good as he always comes good in the third week and Has a load of grand tour experience. Roglic can't afford a bad day but is looking good early on. 

Real shame Dumoulin is out and Yates lost so much time in the TT. Mollema had a great ride and hopefully can be a contender in the high mountains.

I agree Nibali is a favourite. Roglic has done well, but Nibali has much more experience and that third week of mountains I'll be impressed if Roglic can stay with him.

The real mountains have started and its all going off, Mollema in the break, Roglic isolated, Astana being aggressive and 55km still to go.

I can't link this on my work computer, but if you get a chance google 'Marco Haller fan takes bottle', we've discussed fans being twats on here before, but this really takes the biscuit.

Nibali seems to be playing mind games/having a whinge at Roglic for not riding how Nibali would like him to. Seems to do this on a fairly regular basis. Disappointed with Yates so far but the rest of the race is looking like fun if it keeps blowing to pieces like yesterdays stage

I agree, Nibali always whinges about how other people are racing, it's a part of his game.

Roglic can choose how he races and he doesn't have to take the bait. If Nibali really wanted him to work, him and the other contenders could attack Roglic and force him to catch up himself. I expect that a time will come in the next few stages for that scenario.

Today's stage looks full of potential. Wife defo isnt going to sanction me sitting on the sofa all day. 

Hope Landa can keep it up, normally when he is good he is really good in the 3rd week. 

Carapaz is staying in there, looking like a genuine threat to Nibali.

His time trialling isn't all that good, though, is it? Presumably Nibali and Roglic will make it back on him on some of that last time trial.

35 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Carapaz is staying in there, looking like a genuine threat to Nibali.

His time trialling isn't all that good, though, is it? Presumably Nibali and Roglic will make it back on him on some of that last time trial.

Without checking the times I would say he lost about 2 min to roglic and 1 min something to nibali in the last time trial. 

However in 17 km I don t see him loosing more than 1 min for the winner of the time trial. I would say he will win even more time in the remaining stages. Nibali will have to attack and Movistar seems to have a good team to defend without carapaz having to spend the extra energy 

3 hours ago, divica said:

Without checking the times I would say he lost about 2 min to roglic and 1 min something to nibali in the last time trial. 

However in 17 km I don t see him loosing more than 1 min for the winner of the time trial. I would say he will win even more time in the remaining stages. Nibali will have to attack and Movistar seems to have a good team to defend without carapaz having to spend the extra energy 

Yes, Movistar yet again have a strong team with Landa in there as well. They always seem to have a couple of legitimate GC guys in the same team (e.g. the Quintana and Valverde pairing at the Tour). You would think based on the team that Carapaz has a good chance, but he'll want to gain some more time in the mountains. In his favour it seems that Roglic doesn't have a strong team (has been isolated a lot) and while Nibali's team is a bit better (mainly due to Caruso) the onus is on him to attack.

In the last time trial (34kms) Roglic put in 1'05 into Nibali and 1'55 into Carapaz.

Roglic has no chance with only 17km of TT left, and his climbing looking suspect, Nibali has maybe a 25% chance to take enough time in the remaining stages to make it interesting, but I can't see where he takes 60-75 seconds, which is the least he needs realistically.  There is only 1 really big climb left and its pretty early on in the stage. 

Nibali will probably take some off Carapaz in the last remaining TT, if he can be within 1 minute of Carapaz by then he might still have an outside chance.

Archived