Cycling 2019 - the British are coming.

BigFatCoward

Wednesday should see a proper separation and indicate who will compete. 6km at 8+% isn't a leg destroyer. But this early on it will cause some people problems. Sky normally dominate the first mtf and nothing makes me think they won't again. Expect froome and Porte to be the class is the field with the other gc contenders coming in dribs and drabs, but nobody losing more than 30-45 seconds. Contador is biggest worry as short and steep isn't really his thing anymore, much less explosive than he used to be.

And we have a solo breakaway on a flat stage. I feel a bit sorry for him. Totally doomed, of course, and his legs are going to be shot to pieces after this stage, but I suppose at least his sponsors and team get some coverage...

Im a bit torn on this. On the one hand the penalty seems harsh, on the other I'm not sure whether a dq on the stage would be enough. There needs to be consistent application of this though, sprinters are always being dicks. 

The pre-show here in Australia is taking Sagan's side and are bashing the decision to disqualify him, showing lots of other incidents that didn't get punished (including archival footage of Cavendish's own discretions in previous editions of the Tour). This has probably influenced me but even before I saw the pre-show, watching the crash a few times over earlier today, two things stuck in my mind

1. Sagan held his line and never deviated...Cavendish was the one trying to barge his way in

2. It's questionable whether Sagan's elbow actually was the prima facie cause of the crash. It looks really bad, but the elbow does look like it comes after Cav is already starting to lose it.

I think the original relegation from the stage, points penalty and time penalty would have been appropriate and that this is a bit over the top. However, on the other side of it, you can see why they did it - Sagan does look incredibly bad in the video in real-time. I think more than anything it's the sudden imposition of the harsh penalty that makes it a bit dodgy - if they're going to punish things consistently, I suspect a few more people are going to get chucked out of Grand Tours.

As it is, the green jersey is wide open now. Demare is looking pretty good for it.

So Aru, Porte, Martin and Bardet were the only ones able to keep up with Froome when the going got tough.

We can draw some preliminary conclusions from this, but not too much. Quintana doesn't look right, and this was unexpected. On the other hand the damage is not that severe and the question is, can he get better as the Tour goes on. Same for Contador, is he really past his prime? He looks it, but then we know that the last few years he's lost skills in short and explosive climbs. His team says he will be better in the real mountain stages. We'll see but I am sceptical.

Simon Yates looked very good, and as I hinted at last week, Rigoberto Uran might be in for a very good Tour for once.

Other than Froome (who i now see as the big favourite, since he is presumably riding into form with the double in mind), i could see any of the top 10 making the podium. 

After sunday we should have a descent idea of who the top few contenders are. 

Froome the nailed on favourite, but Porte didn't look in any trouble at all. I don't know why BMC spent all their energy directing the chase, but a tactical blunder on one stage isn't going to stuff up the team in the long term. Also, although Froome had a lot of friends to begin the climb with, the Sky fellas dropped off pretty quickly when the going got tough.

Aru is probably the dark horse at the moment. Realistically any challenger to Froome will have to have a great second time trial. Froome's TT skills are good and will always put him reliably within a few seconds of the TT leader, so it gives him a bit of a safety blanket. On that basis, I think Quintana and today's Contador are not going to be able to get him (they'd have to amass big leads in the mountains), and Porte has the best chance. Aru had a decent TT the first go as well.

12 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Froome the nailed on favourite, but Porte didn't look in any trouble at all. I don't know why BMC spent all their energy directing the chase, but a tactical blunder on one stage isn't going to stuff up the team in the long term. Also, although Froome had a lot of friends to begin the climb with, the Sky fellas dropped off pretty quickly when the going got tough.

Aru is probably the dark horse at the moment. Realistically any challenger to Froome will have to have a great second time trial. Froome's TT skills are good and will always put him reliably within a few seconds of the TT leader, so it gives him a bit of a safety blanket. On that basis, I think Quintana and today's Contador are not going to be able to get him (they'd have to amass big leads in the mountains), and Porte has the best chance. Aru had a decent TT the first go as well.

're the sky train dropping off. I read that landa and henao rode their own pace to save themselves as kwiatkowski, nieve and Thomas were still there with only 3km to go. Also many were speculating bmc drilled it to make the sky train weaker on final climb.

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

Aru is probably the dark horse at the moment. Realistically any challenger to Froome will have to have a great second time trial. 

Let's not even consider the TT. If we have still have tension as to who is going to win this Tour by the time of the final weekend, I'll be more than pleased. We had an unexciting one last year and if the top contenders can stay close to each other throughout, it'll be good. You'd still back Froome to be the best GC man in that final TT, but let's worry about that when we get there. The main worry was that Froome would drop everyone uphill, which is still an option of course. But it might not happen.

Given that the course is not that strenuous in terms of mountain stages, I'm hopeful that the second time trial might still have some interest in it, even if it's only an outside chance. But you're right...it's unlikely that the second TT will be a game changer.

So, tomorrow should really show who is in form, though the gap between the first 2 climbs and the last one is a bit shit, and the flat after the final climb up mont du chat i could also do without. 

Looking forward to the stage today. As BFC says the only pity is that there's a long flat leading up to the last climb, which somewhat dents the impact of the first two HC climbs. No point attacking on the first two climbs if there's a long flat for everyone to catch up to you again.

I'm guessing there'll be an initial breakaway by all the King of the Mountain wannabes, but all the main GC guys will stay together until the final climb when things will hopefully get interesting.

5 hours ago, Jeor said:

Looking forward to the stage today. As BFC says the only pity is that there's a long flat leading up to the last climb, which somewhat dents the impact of the first two HC climbs. No point attacking on the first two climbs if there's a long flat for everyone to catch up to you again.

AG2R have disagreed with you and it's made this much more entertaining 

Archived