AncalagonTheBlack

The Paul Kearney Thread: Monarchies of God,Sea Beggars,The Macht etc.

27 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'll have to start reading Paul Kearney.  Which books would you recommend to start with?

Wolf in the Attic is a stand-alone, and not overly long, so I would recommend that on the basis that it gives a nice flavour of the author without much time invested. Also I really like the book but that’s not why I would recommend starting there (much to my Shame I haven’t read anything else by him yet)

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wolf in the Attic is a stand-alone, and not overly long, so I would recommend that on the basis that it gives a nice flavour of the author without much time invested. Also I really like the book but that’s not why I would recommend starting there (much to my Shame I haven’t read anything else by him yet)

Thanks.

Wolf in the Attic is somewhat atypical Kearney. The only other book he's written in that kind of modern-fable vein is A Different Kingdom. Both are outstanding, though.

The Monarchies of God is his ASoIaF-style epic fantasy, although 1) written first, 2) completed 16 years ago and 3) much shorter. It also has guns and werewolves, but if dark epic fantasy is your thing, that's the series to go for.

The Macht Trilogy is his most David Gemmell/Steven Pressfield-esque historical fantasy. It's basically what would have happened if the Ten Thousand had been near-contemporaries of Alexander the Great.

Sea-Beggars is an Abercrombie-esque (but again, earlier) story of morally ambiguous protagonists getting up to crazy shit, this time at sea.

The Way to Babylon and Riding the Unicorn are solid epic fantasy stand-alone novels but seen from the outside (i.e. someone from our world arrives in the epic fantasy one and gets involved in stuff, in two completely different ways).

His WH40K novels are very solid pulp action books.

On 06/04/2018 at 7:32 PM, Werthead said:

Wolf in the Attic is somewhat atypical Kearney. The only other book he's written in that kind of modern-fable vein is A Different Kingdom. Both are outstanding, though.

The Monarchies of God is his ASoIaF-style epic fantasy, although 1) written first, 2) completed 16 years ago and 3) much shorter. It also has guns and werewolves, but if dark epic fantasy is your thing, that's the series to go for.

The Macht Trilogy is his most David Gemmell/Steven Pressfield-esque historical fantasy. It's basically what would have happened if the Ten Thousand had been near-contemporaries of Alexander the Great.

Sea-Beggars is an Abercrombie-esque (but again, earlier) story of morally ambiguous protagonists getting up to crazy shit, this time at sea.

The Way to Babylon and Riding the Unicorn are solid epic fantasy stand-alone novels but seen from the outside (i.e. someone from our world arrives in the epic fantasy one and gets involved in stuff, in two completely different ways).

His WH40K novels are very solid pulp action books.

Thanks.  I've started reading The Ten Thousand, and greatly enjoying it.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

The sequel to The Wolf in the Attic is now called The Burning Horse and will be available in autumn 2019.

I've finished The Macht Trilogy.  Many thanks for the recommendation

The guy is prolific even if he hasnt hit mainstream success yet. Although it sounds like the attic has done well