On 9.5.2016 at 7:39 AM, BlackwaterPark said:

BTW, after Mel and Jon's little talk, am I the only one who though funny that now Jon actually knows "nothing"?

Ah, haha! Good call! Jon Snow now literally knows "nothing"!

Callback to Arya in S4? "Nothing's just nothing."?

I've read the other posts now. Thanks to all who doubt the Umber alliance to the Boltons. Maybe it really is important that Smalljon wouldn't kneel. And there seems to be no love lost between him and the young Lord Karstark.

Episode 1 (or was it 2?) listed the Karstarks, Umbers and Manderleys as possible allies to Boltons. Karstark seems fully onboard, Umber... iffy. And we haven't heard from the Mandreleys yet... I'm not getting my hopes up for Frey pies (for one thing, no Freys are up North) but some form of GNC might be shaping up! Yay!

On 9.5.2016 at 1:19 PM, Philpenn said:

Hell, the Greatjon isn't even dead on the show.  He sure as shit wasn't at the Red Wedding.

Smalljon in this episode says Greatjon (his father) is dead. So Smalljon is the Lord Umber now.

22 hours ago, hiemal said:

Did anyone else get the feeling that Sam and Gilly's discussion on the Citadel's boy's only policy was a possibly set-up for a late Sarella Sand insertion -OR- even more outlandishly pasting a disguised and newly gung-ho-for-education Gilly (not sure what they would do with the baby)?

I got the feeling that the fact that Gilly can now read is somehow important. Why else include the clumsy see/sea thing?

I'd love to have Sarella/Alleras on the show but I'm not getting my hopes up.

20 hours ago, Alcarin said:

<snip>

I wish you luck in the wars you fight, and then ''Now it begins'' I mean what the hell, ...

Arthur Dayne said, "I wish you fortune in all the wars to come. And now it begins."

To me, it recalled earlier seasons of the show. "Wars to come". It was mentioned by a couple of characters, and even the name of an episode. For Arthur Dayne, Ned's wars to come started then and there, and then continued when AGOT/GoT(show) began. Poor (dead) Ned thought and said "No, now it ends." He was wrong, AD was right, and wished him luck, like a honourable knight would do.

17 minutes ago, talvikorppi said:

Smalljon in this episode says Greatjon (his father) is dead. So Smalljon is the Lord Umber now.

Gotcha, planning on a rewatch this afternoon.  Definitely caught that Umber is now Lord, but missed any talk of the Greatjon.

12 hours ago, Lady Snowsand said:

Meryn Trant.

The Faceless men would know he's off Arya's list because... well, they punished Arya (blindness) for killing him. Cersei, Gregor Clegane, Walder Frey... Who's missing who isn't already dead? I get confused with show/books, so I'm probably missing some glaring omission. But it isn't Meryn Trant. He's dead.

Anyone else think it's significant that in this episode we had both these things happen...

1. Dany's small council back in Meereen find out that the Harpy attacks are being supported / funded by Astapor, Yunkai and Volantis (well, according to Varys anyway).
  2. Dany finds out that the Khalassars are having a conference to decide which cities will be on this year's sacking list.

Maybe Varys' little birds network could get word to Dany to get the Khals to combine the two lists (once they are all impressed by Drogon).

19 hours ago, Tooms said:

They actually paraphrased the dialogue at the tower of joy correctly. Arthur does in fact say "now it begins" and Ned replies as such in the books.

Ye he said that, but how does saying "I wish you good fortune in the wars ahead" Or whatever close to that, and then saying now it begins... Its like he knew he will die??? As in Ned will survive to fight future wars (after this one) makes no sense, Arthur would never say that really... nor did he ever did according to the books.

1 hour ago, Lady Fishbiscuit said:

Anyone else think it's significant that in this episode we had both these things happen...

1. Dany's small council back in Meereen find out that the Harpy attacks are being supported / funded by Astapor, Yunkai and Volantis (well, according to Varys anyway).
  2. Dany finds out that the Khalassars are having a conference to decide which cities will be on this year's sacking list.

Maybe Varys' little birds network could get word to Dany to get the Khals to combine the two lists (once they are all impressed by Drogon).

I wish. (said in Varys's voice)

Hey, I really like your idea but I'm not sure little birds could fly that far to deliver that message. But we can hope!

27 minutes ago, Alcarin said:

Ye he said that, but how does saying "I wish you good fortune in the wars ahead" Or whatever close to that, and then saying now it begins... Its like he knew he will die??? As in Ned will survive to fight future wars (after this one) makes no sense, Arthur would never say that really... nor did he ever did according to the books.

"I wish you good fortune in the wars to come."

I explained my understanding above. Arthur Dayne isn't thinking of his wars but Ned's. Arthur Dayne knows that if he dies and Ned survives, Ned will have to face the wars to come. Because AD knows the secret hiding inside the tower. Yeah, maybe AD was a bit resigned to fate, but wouldn't you be if you were 2 against 6? The best swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms isn't an invincible superhero. He was quite gracious to Ned. Almost like passing the baton.

1 hour ago, talvikorppi said:

"I wish you good fortune in the wars to come."

I explained my understanding above. Arthur Dayne isn't thinking of his wars but Ned's. Arthur Dayne knows that if he dies and Ned survives, Ned will have to face the wars to come. Because AD knows the secret hiding inside the tower. Yeah, maybe AD was a bit resigned to fate, but wouldn't you be if you were 2 against 6? The best swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms isn't an invincible superhero. He was quite gracious to Ned. Almost like passing the baton.

Yes I know he is thinking about Ned's wars, obviously, while i see your point, I dont find Arthurs character (or any of the remaining KG) to fit these words. I doubt any Kingsguard would have the mentality to think about losing before the fight occurs, regardless of the numbers, and despite being only human. And to top all that, Arthur passed the deeds to grant him title The Sword of the Morning... 

Its a nice touch of chivalry of the knighthood but still I find it unfitting to a character like Arthur Dayne or the Kingsguard of that era, to say something like that. I find it exactly opposite, they were so sure of  their surpemacy, that they awaited Ned and his company infront of the tower, and Oswell Whent was even sharpening his blade when Ned was close, and all their answers to Neds wording felt quick without thought or regret, like they exactly knew their duty and knew they were not ordinary 3.... 

And 1 big thing i miss in the flashback was stressing out how highly they took their vows to show even better the perspective of true kingsguard... The We svowe a vow should simpy be in there. 

Edited by Alcarin

3 hours ago, talvikorppi said:

The Faceless men would know he's off Arya's list because... well, they punished Arya (blindness) for killing him. Cersei, Gregor Clegane, Walder Frey... Who's missing who isn't already dead? I get confused with show/books, so I'm probably missing some glaring omission. But it isn't Meryn Trant. He's dead.

Illyn Payne is missing for sure.... but i read somewhere the actor who played Payne was diagnosed with cancer and cannot act anymore so someone said in respect they removed him silently.... 

Quick review of the episode below. https://www.the-newshub.com/film-and-tv/game-of-thrones-season-6-episode-3-oathbreaker-review-spoilers

Re-watched the episode this afternoon. Thought it was an overall good episode without the huge moments of the previous two. Hopefully it marks a change of Arya. Loving the Bran flashbacks so far! hopefully they continue

4 hours ago, simonh89 said:

Re-watched the episode this afternoon. Thought it was an overall good episode without the huge moments of the previous two. Hopefully it marks a change of Arya. Loving the Bran flashbacks so far! hopefully they continue

I think they will because the 3ER said that Bran will learn everything.

1 hour ago, Lady Snowsand said:

I think they will because the 3ER said that Bran will learn everything.

THIS.

I too believe 3ER will this season actually reveal the true game hiding behind the game of thrones. At least in respect to the prince that was promised, etc.

Edited by Tooms

It is very obvious to me now, the bodies on the crosses at the battle are Night's Watch men. Including Dolorous Edd. Ramsay goes to the wall looking for Jon(who is off gathering an army of Northern Loyalists) and finds everyone but him.

Dear god, everything about this episode:

Rickon and Shaggydog were the one of the worse ones. I screamed,"OH MY GOD NOT THEM. PLEASE GOD!"

And Jon leaving the Nightwatch was a wow factor for me. I can see fanfictions in the making right now with Jon leaving and somehow meeting up with various characters. 

And Arya finally leaving her identity as a Stark and becoming a No One. It's heartbreaking. 

And is it just me that the Starks have horrible timing with meeting up with one another!? Sansa leaving and heading towards the North just as Jon leaves and Rickon and his companions getting into Winterfell just a few days later after Sansa leaves? What the fuck? I think not. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:15 PM, hallam said:

Well we now know he is a thousand years old.

Yes, we now know he is a thousand years old - in the show. Which is fine but I think in the books that the 3EC being a thousand years old, and not Bloodraven, is as likely as Sansa marring Ramsay. 

Which pretty much kills all the fan theories.

What fan theories? Does "all" mean show, books, both? It's not a theory for the books since Bran calls him Lord Brynden several times.

I don't think it is necessary to tie him back into any other figure. Who do we even know from back then? Want to make him the original AA? Sure if you like. Does that tell us anything? Not really.

Thousand year old man in a tree is enough. [/quote]

Yea you got a point. It doesn't really matter and it doesn't really hurt anything to change it. Maybe they even have other plans in this case.

But what would it hurt to keep it? Season 1 was layered with the history, lore, dialogue that felt like it belongs in this world and it made everyone love the show. Is all these little changes to the atmosphere, causing some dissatisfaction, worth it?

Interesting though that we are told Bran will leave the cave in the same episode Rickon reappears. It means that Rickon is no longer in the line of succession to being Warden of the North. Bran will be master of winterfell when he leaves the cave. Robb may have made Jon heir ahead of Bran but that is really a non-issue as Jon is clearly going to end up on the Iron Throne or dead.

Robb did not make Jon his heir in the show. It's just one more of the little things the show changed or dropped from the books. It could have been a good choice to add it since Jon is important, a fan favorite and it adds suspense to his storyline however it could still come up later as a surprise twist but why bother if it doesn't matter, right?

Edited by Elaena Targaryen

3 hours ago, Elaena Targaryen said:

Yes, we now know he is a thousand years old - in the show. Which is fine but I think in the books that the 3EC being a thousand years old, and not Bloodraven, is as likely as Sansa marring Ramsay. 

We don't know that. We only know that he told Bran something that would imply that.