[Poll] How would you rate episode 603?

Ran

How would you rate episode 603?  

417 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Solid 7.

Arya - people still bitching about her scenes? Last week they were bitching because the Waif just seemed to be beating her instead of training her, this week you see you were wrong and get more of her training, she gets her sight back and people still bitch?

Dany - Yeah, still boring, can't argue with this, but to me her scenes almost always have been. I think it's the actress, she just seems so stiff.

Sam - About as expected, seemed a little rushed for Gilly to be reading but with nothing to do except learn from Sam on the boat I can see that happening. Also now that she understands more about the world she accepts going to Horn Hill and not staying with Sam.

Kinglanding - yeah, creepy guy giving kids candy to do things for him...Nice to see Cersei and company not getting their way. Sparrow/Tommen, not entirely bad. I mean the kid shows that he is not the psycho his brother was and he recognizes that his mother lies.

Winterfell - Is this the GNC beginning? Loved the Umber tearing up Karstark and Roose Bolton! Your father was a cunt! I will not be kneeling to anyone. But then it got ruined for me with Shaggydog, hopefully that was a trick of some type, or maybe he died defending Rickon and they decided to use it to fool Ramsey.

TOJ - I think this was done very well. No matter what they did 50% of the people would bitch and another 25% would scream bloody murder. It definitely showed Dayne as being the best swordsman around, he was surrounded by four and still would have won if he had killed Reed instead of wounding him. Nice nod to the books with Ned looking back when Bran calls out to him.

The Wall - Yeah I feel like it would have been better if Jon had walked out to the courtyard and that was where they all saw him first, but it's a small detail. Another nod to the books with Mel wondering about TPTWP, as you saw Davos shut her down immediately. As to the hangings, weren't those the only four who stabbed him and that's why he only killed them? No one else took part or needed to die as a result. Jon dropped the mic and walked off stage, "my watch has ended"

Solid 7.

Arya - people still bitching about her scenes? Last week they were bitching because the Waif just seemed to be beating her instead of training her, this week you see you were wrong and get more of her training, she gets her sight back and people still bitch?

Dany - Yeah, still boring, can't argue with this, but to me her scenes almost always have been. I think it's the actress, she just seems so stiff.

Sam - About as expected, seemed a little rushed for Gilly to be reading but with nothing to do except learn from Sam on the boat I can see that happening. Also now that she understands more about the world she accepts going to Horn Hill and not staying with Sam.

Kinglanding - yeah, creepy guy giving kids candy to do things for him...Nice to see Cersei and company not getting their way. Sparrow/Tommen, not entirely bad. I mean the kid shows that he is not the psycho his brother was and he recognizes that his mother lies.

Winterfell - Is this the GNC beginning? Loved the Umber tearing up Karstark and Roose Bolton! Your father was a cunt! I will not be kneeling to anyone. But then it got ruined for me with Shaggydog, hopefully that was a trick of some type, or maybe he died defending Rickon and they decided to use it to fool Ramsey.

TOJ - I think this was done very well. No matter what they did 50% of the people would bitch and another 25% would scream bloody murder. It definitely showed Dayne as being the best swordsman around, he was surrounded by four and still would have won if he had killed Reed instead of wounding him. Nice nod to the books with Ned looking back when Bran calls out to him.

The Wall - Yeah I feel like it would have been better if Jon had walked out to the courtyard and that was where they all saw him first, but it's a small detail. Another nod to the books with Mel wondering about TPTWP, as you saw Davos shut her down immediately. As to the hangings, weren't those the only four who stabbed him and that's why he only killed them? No one else took part or needed to die as a result. Jon dropped the mic and walked off stage, "my watch has ended"

51 minutes ago, Valhalla Morghulis said:

Bad was Dany back in Dothraki land but this is GRRMs fault she should be in/on way to Westeros. Tyrion scene was boring but this again is GRRMs fault he too should be with Dany in Westeros.

Sorry, but this is probably the most ignorent comment I've seen to date. 

53 minutes ago, Valhalla Morghulis said:

Bad was Dany back in Dothraki land but this is GRRMs fault she should be in/on way to Westeros. Tyrion scene was boring but this again is GRRMs fault he too should be with Dany in Westeros.

Judging the show on its own merits it was around an 8.

Good scenes for a number of key characters including Arya and Jon.

As a book conversion they did partially mess up the TOJ scene by not including more original dialogue. Seriously would it have killed them to actually use GRRM's words?. Fight choreography was fine though and HR saving the day was how it was expected to happen. 

The first two episodes dampened my expectations so episode 3 just reinforced my opinion that HBO should Just release the whole season in one go, why drag it out. I find the only part of this show that remains interesting is the north. I don't care for the rest of it. The urgency of the northern arc buggered by the shear drag of Essos arc and the whatever of Kings landing.  Sam & Gilly could of easily delivered that entire scene from a horse and cart as they arrived at Oldtown and hurried things along. I'm at a loss as to what will fill the next seven episodes but I am sure there will be a lot of plot dragging and my crying out "get on with it."

5 out of 10. A Mummers farce for killing shaggy dog. Bastards.

Edited by the tower of albion
error / spelling

The first two episodes dampened my expectations so episode 3 just reinforced my opinion that HBO should Just release the whole season in one go, why drag it out. I find the only part of this show that remains interesting is the north. I don't care for the rest of it. The urgency of the northern arc buggered by the shear drag of Essos arc and the whatever of Kings landing.  Sam & Gilly could of easily delivered that entire scene from a horse and cart as they arrived at Oldtown and hurried things along. I'm at a loss as to what will fill the next eight episodes but I am sure there will be a lot of plot dragging and my crying out "get on with it."

5 out of 10. A Mummers farce for killing shaggy dog. Bastards.

HoHum, another 6 here.

Sir Arthur Dayne was well cast, I could believe he was legendary BUT why did he have a magical sword that reappeared on his waist after he stuck it in the ground?  It wasnt there while he was talking to Ned but then he had 2 swords to draw at once.  Correct me if I saw this wrong (twice) please!  Well done sword fight if a little unrealistic.  I like the idea of 2 swords but with Dawn why?  Howland killing him meshes with what was said in the books and Ned had to defeat him somehow.

+Ollie is gone, Id have killed him long ago.

- Emellia is getting pudgy, never a great beauty or talent to begin with.  Personal preference of course.

-Ricon just cant catch a break.  Nice to see Osha again but Im afraid for her.

-Varys continues to disappoint but the actor is great.

Mostly filler episode, catching every thread of the story up.  Hope this is over now.

8.5 for me.

• Arya - the test of drinking that potion and the look on her face when she said "no-one" at the end.  She was more honest with herself about The Hound - it felt like a layer of something had been stripped back, and it felt like at least at this point she truly had become no-one.  Something will pull Arya back out of no-one later on but at this stage I thought it was very well done.  Great acting from Maisie Williams. Surely she will take Needle when she goes back to Westeros but that's not a very "no-one" thing to do, so maybe I've got something wrong there.
  • Constant hints about Cleganebowl - calling Ser Robert Strong "Ser Gregor" more than once, reference to trial by combat, reference to the Hound.
  • Wall - great performance from Kit Harrington, thought Owen Teale's delivery of Thorne's speech was spot on, quite certain the lingering on Olly was a shout-out to the fandom.  Loved the uncertainty about who Jon is any more, loved the look on his face at the very end, loved the bits with Tormund and Edd.
  • Umber guy - loads of ambiguity and again a lot of good acting in that scene.  Is it really Shaggydog?  I'd like to think the look Osha gave Rickon means no (yay, GNC).  But only 7 more eps this season and 13 more afterwards - is there time to add GNC to all the other stuff that's happening?  Hope they give Osha more to do, Nat Tena is brilliant in that role.
  • High Sparrow - very subtle performance again from Pryce.  He used the threat of violence against Jaime, he's now using a softer technique against Tommen.  Man's a consummate player and a brilliant politician and Pryce carries all of that off so well.
  • ToJ - they were always going to split it over more than one episode and I think Bran will rebel against Bloodraven a bit and go back when he's not supposed to.  Loved the way Ned heard Bran, foreshadowing that Bran will somehow effect things we are yet to see.  Really hope Bran is not the reason Hodor has an aphasia.  Also suspect that when he goes off and the Night's King sees him, he's off-piste at that point (and maybe attracts them to Bloodraven's cave, resulting in that being burnt and him, Meera and Hodor just making it out - Bloodraven will know this is going to happen if it is, but I'm speculating instead of reviewing so I'll stop now).  Any ways up we will see more in the next episode or two (next episode is one of the long ones so expect Stuff To Go Down).

Dislikes:

• That dragon scene apart, Tyrion has really disappointed so far this season.  Hopefully that picks up a bit.  How much wine did he want to play a drinking game with? The level was very low to start then seemed to go up and down a bit.
  • Dany.  Yyyyyaaaaaawwwwwn.  Clarke can act so it's not that, but not captivated by this stuff so far this season.

After the epic events of last episode this was always going to be a catch your breath kind of affair, but it was none the worse for that and I can't wait already for the next one.  I don't think Sansa will miss Jon; I think ultimately they will have to deal with Ramsay who will have Rickon up his sleeve. 

I'm going to get a rubber bracelet with WWLD - What Would Littlefinger Do - ready for ep 4 :-)

HoHum, another 6 here.

Sir Arthur Dayne was well cast, I could believe he was legendary BUT why did he have a magical sword that reappeared on his waist after he stuck it in the ground?  It wasnt there while he was talking to Ned but then he had 2 swords to draw at once.  Correct me if I saw this wrong (twice) please!  Well done sword fight if a little unrealistic.  I like the idea of 2 swords but with Dawn why?  Howland killing him meshes with what was said in the books and Ned had to defeat him somehow.

+Ollie is gone, Id have killed him long ago.  Allister Thorne stayed in character till the end.

- Emellia is getting pudgy, never a great beauty or talent to begin with.  Personal preference of course.

-Ricon just cant catch a break.  Nice to see Osha again but Im afraid for her.  That entire scene was the best acted of the show.

-Varys continues to disappoint but the actor is great.

Mostly filler episode, catching every thread of the story up.  Hope this is over now.

Edited by Ser Graymax

1 hour ago, Darkstream said:

Not particularly

The fact that the wall storyline appears to be nearing the end game while many key characters are meandering around in Essos is a fault of the books D&D are converting not of their adaptation. Unless that is they were willing to be far more daring in their alterations. 

Edited by JagLover
added text

I have it 8/10, everything at the Wall was on point, TOJ choreography was great, even if it was only 6 on 2 vs 7 on 3. I hated Shaggydog dying, overall solid episode, this season has started out great! 

I have it 8/10, everything at the Wall was on point, TOJ choreography was great, even if it was only 6 on 2 vs 7 on 3. I hated Shaggydog dying, overall solid episode, this season has started out great! 

2 hours ago, Modesty Lannister said:

2/10 solely based on choreography of the fight between the northerners and Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy. The rest is beyond garbage.

- the Wall; Jon did not dream of the crypts of Winterfell; he killed his killers why? only to resign as the Lord Commander of the NW. This is insulting viewers' intelligence. If he decided to leave the NW, fine. Leave the killers to the new LC. And he names Ed the new LC. He cannot do that. And the episode is called the Oathbreaker. Jon is no oathbreaker. Death releases one from the NW oath. And he died. Coming back to life is not what usually happens to people. 

- ToJ. We have five horsemen that mysteriously became six. We have two KGs. We have no idea who the other one is. We have no idea who the men with Ned and Reed are. Why not have seven horsemen and three KG like in the books? Why? Cost is not a reason. It costs almost exactly the same to film it with correct numbers. So, D&D managed to reduce the pivotal scene in the books, the pinnacle of mystery into yet another fight. Good fight, but just a fight. And all these mysterious words KGs exchange with Ned are not important? What is important to D&D I wonder? 

- Mereene - utter waste of time. Tyrion having nothing to talk about made me laugh. Indeed. Nothing is happening to the point that D&D even ran out of fresh cock jokes.

- Dothraki - passable, but too slow. Deanerys is the Oathbreaker here. We should have seen what the crones had planned for her.

-  Braavos - all this should have happened in the previous episode. If I hear "no one" once more, I will make my own list. 

- Sam - so much vomit. What was the point? A horrible filler. Why not meet them when the arrive to Old Town.

- KL - the utter nonsense continues. I will not even bother with all that. Poor Jamie Lannister. He has the biggest character regression since the beginning of characters.

- Winterfell - Rickon's direwolf is dead. That means he is going to die. So, why bring him in? To show us that Ramsey is a sick bastard. Is there anyone in the universe who does not know this? Umbers are gifting Ramsey with Rickon in exchange for help with wildlings? Logic? Help? Wildlings are a common threat. There is no need for such a gift. But, hey, D&D never knew logic, so why start now. Where is Theon the future Ghost of WF? When he said he was going home, it was obvious he was going back to WF to atone for his self-confessed sins against the Starks. And now he is not there. This series is advancing at snail's pace. 

In the end, I'd like to point out I gave a point to the cast for enduring such scripts. Kudos people. No money can compensate your professionalism. 

Oath breaker does not imply that Jon broke his oath. It could in fact be stating what the murderers like Olly called him.

Rickon dire wolf died, it does not mean he will. But yes, he will die for sure. Sansa's dire wolf was killed back in season 1/book1 and she is alive. 

Sam was not a filler. It was to catch you up, after all we haven't seen him for over 4-5 episodes.

They have to make the point across that Arya's training is not easy. She said no one last time and she lied. If it was easy and all it requires of her was one lie, you'd complain that she became an assassin in one episode.