[Poll] How would you rate episode 603?

Ran

How would you rate episode 603?  

417 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

8/10.  Really enjoyed this episode.  The only low points were how wasted Tyrion was with the accompanying drinking game. :rolleyes:    (Was that a weak attempt to inject some humor into the dark proceedings? :dunno: ) 

And Dany's being shunted off to the Dosh Khaleen was out of character.   I suppose this is a setup for a future fire-and-blood scene with the arrival of her dragons, upon whose arrival we will be duly punching the air and cheering.  Well...

Other than those two, the show really captured my attention - a welcome change. 

Just about a 7 for me.

I liked the stuff at the wall, I was waiting for a HAR from Tormund to go with his cock joke.  Another example of book dialogue being cut?

The tower of joy was OK, I am sure that Jaime was looking through the white book in an earlier episode and he said that they all wore white then. I think it was a scene to explain who barristan was., but they didn't really explain who the Kingsbury were and what the significance of them being there was. But then there are only 2 kingsguards in the show now anyway, so they'd have to explain that away too.

I have to say though that the guy playing young Ned had Sean Bean's voice off perfectly. That was the best thing about the scene

I agree that the two sword thing was wrong,  it is another unnecessary change, would it have been so difficult to have Dawn? Also I don't understand the bit about Ned having boasted about killing dayne, it doesn't fit at all with show Ned or book Ned to my mind. I always saw howland finishing him off like that though.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ramsay is being set up. The people asking why the Umbers would hand over Rickon and Osha sound like a echo chamber of lure hooked carp at this point..."HOOK ON!!" lololol.

So, if he's setting Ramsey up, he's just giving them the heir to Winterfell, assuming someone who is more treacherous than any of us is okay with a regular wolf head instead of a direwolf, and never did anything to try and reinstall the Starks (or leverage his possession of Rickon into power for his family).  So even if it's a setup, it still makes no damn sense. 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Dany's situation is moving slowly this season but thats okay, I havent read any credible posts that have been able to claim they knew each of her steps ahead of time, as it should be.

Yeah.  Who could have predicted her being taken to the Dhos Khaleen (EVERYONE), recite her titles in deadpan voice (EVERYONE), and magically be protected from Dothraki rape by the Dothraki not acting like Dothraki (only people critical of D&D's consistency).  I've seen all of those posted before the trailer for this season comes out (reciting titles is more just a broader joke that she only does that, but I'm counting it...). You really need to spend more time on this forum if Dany's story is unpredictable for you. Through 3 episodes, everything Dany has been done boils down to those 3 things.  

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't take personal offense. I just can't comprehend why people who hate something so much continue to do it. I find it humorous now because the comments are so predictable.

And BTW, I have read the books, and the short stories and have the companion app and the Giant world book, and have read every released chapter from TWOW numerous times so I am not a Johnny come lately who doesn't appreciate the source material.

I just think it's funny how the books are thought of as perfect and should never be altered. This is an adaptation, by definition it will be different.

And you don't find it predictable that no matter how far the quality of the show drops, there is still drones of people that come on here raving about how great it was? To give a show that undeniably has a lot of huge problems a 10 is just as incomprehensible as giving it a 1.

I have no problem with people liking the show and giving it a 10 if they enjoyed watching it, but to blindly deny all the flaws and belittle someone that has a different opinion seems to be all show Apologists can do. 

1 minute ago, Darkstream said:

And you don't find it predictable that no matter how far the quality of the show drops, there is still drones of people that come on here raving about how great it was? To give a show that undeniably has a lot of huge problems a 10 is just as incomprehensible as giving it a 1.

I have no problem with people liking the show and giving it a 10 if they enjoyed watching it, but to blindly deny all the flaws and belittle someone that has a different opinion seems to be all show Apologists can do. 

Not to mention we're working with incredibly different scales for each person.  I would call a 5 average, and would only ever give one episode (Blackwater) a 10 because I think it is legendary despite it's minor flaws.  But someone who only says bad things and gives it a 7 is using an entirely different scale.  Then you have some people who rate show only, some whose rating includes quality of the adaptation, some who only seem to care if there was action, etc.  

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

And yeah, the only part that frustrates me is I want to be able to access the site and discuss it objectively and there are so many people who have no intention on doing that and the site crashes over and over. I mean, I have never seen so many posters with like 5 comments total. Its like people are just creating new names so they can complain under several names to validate their anger.

As someone who has an opposing opinion of the show as you, I feel the same way. Seven forbid you try to discuss what is wrong with the show, or what you didn't like, and you are immedietly attacked as being a troll. 

Edited by Darkstream

17 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Not to mention we're working with incredibly different scales for each person.  I would call a 5 average, and would only ever give one episode (Blackwater) a 10 because I think it is legendary despite it's minor flaws.  But someone who only says bad things and gives it a 7 is using an entirely different scale.  Then you have some people who rate show only, some whose rating includes quality of the adaptation, some who only seem to care if there was action, etc.  

Exactly, I was accused of being a troll because my vote didn't reflect that Got is a better show than the kardashians. I mean, what the fuck is a Kardashian anyway? I have never seen it, how is my enjoyment of Got reliant on how good some show I've never seen is? 

I liked that Arya is finally moving along, but again d&d seem to have missed the point. The waif in the books never seemed to enjoy Arya being blind, but in the show she seems almost another Joffrey.  She was enjoying beating Arya, and got angry when Arya was able to, inexplicably, defend herself. She looked as if she would have killed her if Jaquen had not been there.

In the books, which I know is different, but is increasingly better, part of the point of Arya's beatings was that she learned to warg, which enables her to defend herself. In the show she is just using some Deus ex machina magic ninja skills,  or perhaps she got lucky once or twice, and that was enough.

I personally enjoyed the Mereen scenes too. Again I prefer the way it is going in the spoiler chapters from the next book, but hey.

Vary is finally being given something to do,  even if it's not a lot( I was surprised to see his little birds speaking so well with no Tongues).Tyrion is struggling because he can't play to his strengths with such a tough audience, which is the most realistic his story has been since he interrupted his old man on the loo.

No sand snakes. Yay!

12 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Exactly, I was accused of being a troll because my vote didn't reflect that Got is a better show than the kardashians. I mean, what the fuck is a Kardashian anyway? I have never seen it, how is my enjoyment of Got reliant on how good some show I've never seen is? 

They're just completely incomparable on every level.  I enjoy Moonshiners more than I enjoy Game of Thrones, but I will be the first to admit that Game of Thrones, for all the shit I give it, is a better show on every level.  But I watch with an entirely different set of expectations.

I'll be honest here. I don't even watch the show this year. I just watched the TOJ scene on youtube because I was curious how they will adapt one of the most iconic scenes. I had really low expectations, yet I was incredibly dissapointed. They just got it completely wrong.

Ned's actor did a horrible job, yet he was the most important guy there. All the focus was on the fight, when in the books the fight is not even described and Ned is sad that he has to fight. It's supposed to be a sad event, not a cool showdown. No Dawn. Dayne is dual-wielding. Why did they make it a 6 vs. 2? Not that it really matters, but that's exactly the point. Why change something so insignificant? Why not just stick 100% to the books for once? And the worst part of it all was Bran saying that he heard the story of Ned defeating Dayne a thousand times. Because that's totally what Ned would do.

So yeah, 1/10 for this abomination alone.

2 minutes ago, Tolsimir said:

I'll be honest here. I don't even watch the show this year. I just watched the TOJ scene on youtube because I was curious how they will adapt one of the most iconic scenes. I had really low expectations, yet I was incredibly dissapointed. They just got it completely wrong.

Ned's actor did a horrible job, yet he was the most important guy there. All the focus was on the fight, when in the books the fight is not even described and Ned is sad that he has to fight. It's supposed to be a sad event, not a cool showdown. No Dawn. Dayne is dual-wielding. Why did they make it a 6 vs. 2? Not that it really matters, but that's exactly the point. Why change something so insignificant? Why not just stick 100% to the books for once? And the worst part of it all was Bran saying that he heard the story of Ned defeating Dayne a thousand times. Because that's totally what Ned would do.

So yeah, 1/10 for this abomination alone.

I agree.  It's hard to imagine the show's take away from the TOJ scene that it's just a bunch of badass sword fighting, or that it would be written for the show in a way to make Ned Stark into a total POS.  It had the wrong tone, the wrong emphasis, wrong dialogue, the person playing Ned was terrible, even if I were to give them a pass on the stupidity of the Sword of the Morning having two swords...it shows a complete lack of understanding of everything about the scene that made it memorable.  It was truly awful.

4 minutes ago, Tolsimir said:

Why did they make it a 6 vs. 2? Not that it really matters, but that's exactly the point. Why change something so insignificant? Why not just stick 100% to the books for once? .

In order to saving a few bucks for God knows what I guess

5 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I guess that Rhollo refers to the fact that the two KG wore armours with the three headed Targaryen dragon, which is not the standard KG uniform that we had seen so far (with a crown in the armour). There's also no white capes or shields. They are dressed as they could dress any random Targaryen soldier. That, combined with the fact that in the scene it's never mentioned that they are members of the KG, makes their identification impossible .

You can see the white cloaks on the KG a few times in the first 30 seconds in the below link, I missed them completely until I rewatched it today. Also, they are laying behind the KG on a rock when they walk past Bran and the 3ER, about a minute in.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=V6yBPYr6s9I

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ramsay is being set up. The people asking why the Umbers would hand over Rickon and Osha sound like a echo chamber of lure hooked carp at this point..."HOOK ON!!" lololol.

Really?  Just like Littlefinger, one of the greatest schemers in the realm, set them up by dropping off Sansa?  The Umbers, not at all great schemers, are out playing Littlefinger, huh.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree.  It's hard to imagine the show's take away from the TOJ scene that it's just a bunch of badass sword fighting, or that it would be written for the show in a way to make Ned Stark into a total POS.  It had the wrong tone, the wrong emphasis, wrong dialogue, the person playing Ned was terrible, even if I were to give them a pass on the stupidity of the Sword of the Morning having two swords...it shows a complete lack of understanding of everything about the scene that made it memorable.  It was truly awful.

That's the whole point.  It's not that the books are The Bible.  They can be adapted and changed but Tweedle D&D don't even get it.  They don't get the themes.  They don't get the concepts.  They don't get the heart and the soul of the story.  And it is infuriating.

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't take personal offense. I just can't comprehend why people who hate something so much continue to do it. I find it humorous now because the comments are so predictable.

And BTW, I have read the books, and the short stories and have the companion app and the Giant world book, and have read every released chapter from TWOW numerous times so I am not a Johnny come lately who doesn't appreciate the source material.

I just think it's funny how the books are thought of as perfect and should never be altered. This is an adaptation, by definition it will be different.

I don't mind different.  I really don't want a great read to be completely spoiled by it's adaptation.  What I mind is being unfaithful to the characters I love, the story I love, the entire concept.  They don't fucking understand the story.  And it kills me.  So I need to vent and this is a good place to do so.

3 minutes ago, Steelegrave said:

That's the whole point.  It's not that the books are The Bible.  They can be adapted and changed but Tweedle D&D don't even get it.  They don't get the themes.  They don't get the concepts.  They don't get the heart and the soul of the story.  And it is infuriating.

But who says you do? Or anyone does? There are pages and pages on this forum where fans argue the books themes, concepts and heart and soul - ASoIaF is very open to interpretation. Who is right and wrong? Is GRRM a romantic or a cynic?

I think many book only fans get infuriated because their personal interpretation of the books (which is positively re-enforced by finding like minded people on a forum or some such) is different to how the HBO adaptation is playing out.

1 hour ago, ummester said:

But who says you do? Or anyone does? There are pages and pages on this forum where fans argue the books themes, concepts and heart and soul - ASoIaF is very open to interpretation. Who is right and wrong? Is GRRM a romantic or a cynic?

I think many book only fans get infuriated because their personal interpretation of the books (which is positively re-enforced by finding like minded people on a forum or some such) is different to how the HBO adaptation is playing out.

It's a little difficult to take that argument seriously when D&D say things like: Themes are for fourth grade book reports.