[Poll] How would you rate episode 603?

Ran

How would you rate episode 603?  

417 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Yeah.  Who could have predicted her being taken to the Dhos Khaleen (EVERYONE), recite her titles in deadpan voice (EVERYONE), and magically be protected from Dothraki rape by the Dothraki not acting like Dothraki (only people critical of D&D's consistency).  I've seen all of those posted before the trailer for this season comes out (reciting titles is more just a broader joke that she only does that, but I'm counting it...). You really need to spend more time on this forum if Dany's story is unpredictable for you. Through 3 episodes, everything Dany has been done boils down to those 3 things.  

Then lets hear your crystal ball for exactly what you think Dany will be doing over the next few episodes so we can grade your prediction. Anyone can say something in hindsight so this is your chance to prove your not as prone to exaggeration as it seems.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

I'm too tired to go into my usual rating shenanigans, and most of the stuff's already been said. I think around a 6/10 is fair - t'was pretty average. The ToJ was hella disappointing tho. It's already been mentioned, but it felt really anticlimactic. No Dawn for Arfur Dayne? They didn't even mention the other KG, did they? And why should they, the dude got taken out in like 5 seconds. Dual-wielding was just hilarious. I miss the grittier and more realistic fights back in the earlier seasons. And, while we might not ever get to see how it all actually went down, I'd be willing to bet 10,000 Monopoly dollars that this was nothing like GRRM pictured the ToJ fiasco going down in the books. Not saying anything super-amazing happened, but Howland Reed ninja-shanking Dayne was really wank.

Best part for of the episode for me was What's-His-Face Umber. However, handing over Rickon seems like a dumb idea, but I suppose it's not as dumb and nonsensical as Littlefinger's actions regarding Sansa; I've still got facepalm scars from that one.

Judging by the comments here it looks like small percentage of people even like the show. I know that you obsess over books, but if they would have done everything by the book it would have been such a drag, even bigger. Imagine that Tyrion still didnt come to Dany, and Dany had not reach the Dhotraki or that Stanis is still alive, and Jon Snow is dead, and Sansa is still in Eyrie, and lots and lots. I mean how do you think all that can fit 55 min. of weekly show. It would have been sooooooooo boring. I understand your frustration, that for the first time now you dont know what to expect. I know you didnt like the Tower of joy cause it didnt prove all accepted fun theory. And that your theories are not coming true, after all these years. And now you want it done in three episodes. Come on!! I feel you. I understand. But saying it is boring and it is dragging is offensive. They are playing chess on the worlds board. Chess can go on for hours, even days and months, until u have the right move. And as far as I am concern they are doing great job. Pace is not slow, everything is coming together. Some things I like some I dont, some I love.

Take it easy, cheers!

OH PS I am giving it 9. Just because I think that they killed Shaggydog. My husband thinks that the Umbers are on Starks side and that is just a big wolf. But I say why give him real Rickon then, he can kill him in a second, why risk it? I dont know, I want to believe that Rickon is gonna survive that but I am afraid. Oh and the Tower of Joy was amazing. Ned is human after all. I am so happy for that. Seeing sir Arthur Dayne kickass like that was amazing. I am betting now that Robert did not kill Rhaegar that easy too like he says he must have done something not honorable too. Come on! The Kings Guard at that time was invincible, and Rhaegar had won the Harrenhal. I am so waiting for more visions of the past. And they proved that history is written by the winners. So everything you knew maybe is not true. Cool!

Cheers

10 hours ago, Steelegrave said:

I don't mind different.  I really don't want a great read to be completely spoiled by it's adaptation.  What I mind is being unfaithful to the characters I love, the story I love, the entire concept.  They don't fucking understand the story.  And it kills me.  So I need to vent and this is a good place to do so.

Humor me if you will. The Tower of Joy scene. It is taken from a chapter, from a fever dream, and in the book it is what, like half a page long? And yet people have it built up in their minds as this mind blowing battle and unbelievably well written 15 lines of dialogue.

So that little piece of a 10,000 page series is so critical and has all the heart and soul of the books? Dayne has like three lines out of the whole part, that's it.

Personally I believe that it has been so long that people have read and reread the books into something that nothing will ever compare to. To me you just have to separate the books and show when watching and only watch the show based on it's merits.

I bitched about the dogs disappearing during the fight, about Dorne the entire series, about a lot of Dany because the actor just seems so stiff. But I try to not compare that Jon doesn't walk around flexing his hand all the time or that they seem to have removed Robbs will, because this is their adaptation.

More lazy writing and storytelling. Killing Shaggydog was just a way to save CGI and wolf money since they only have Bran as a warg on the show. I had hoped Davos would be sent from the Wall to find Rickon but I guess not. What's annoying is that we now have to hear how the head of Shaggydog was not big enough to be a direwolf and it is all a ruse. Well, it is Shaggydog and the lazy powers that be killed him off to trim down the story line.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Humor me if you will. The Tower of Joy scene. It is taken from a chapter, from a fever dream, and in the book it is what, like half a page long? And yet people have it built up in their minds as this mind blowing battle and unbelievably well written 15 lines of dialogue.

So that little piece of a 10,000 page series is so critical and has all the heart and soul of the books? Dayne has like three lines out of the whole part, that's it.

Personally I believe that it has been so long that people have read and reread the books into something that nothing will ever compare to. To me you just have to separate the books and show when watching and only watch the show based on it's merits.

I bitched about the dogs disappearing during the fight, about Dorne the entire series, about a lot of Dany because the actor just seems so stiff. But I try to not compare that Jon doesn't walk around flexing his hand all the time or that they seem to have removed Robbs will, because this is their adaptation.

It should feel tragic and poignant, it's an event that has haunted Ned Stark the rest of his life.  You should sense two groups of men weary of killing but still doing their duty as they see it.  It should be VERY clear that Ned is fighting the mad king's king's guard, which it wasn't.  

All this was, another sword fight with a double badass with 2 swords.  And the show turning Ned into a lying braggart.  Also, the casting of young Ned was REALLY poor, as was his acting.  And the dialogue such as it was, felt rushed and poorly delivered.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

It should feel tragic and poignant, it's an event that has haunted Ned Stark the rest of his life.  You should sense two groups of men weary of killing but still doing their duty as they see it.  It should be VERY clear that Ned is fighting the mad king's king's guard, which it wasn't.  

All this was, another sword fight with a double badass with 2 swords.  And the show turning Ned into a lying braggart.  Also, the casting of young Ned was REALLY poor, as was his acting.  And the dialogue such as it was, felt rushed and poorly delivered.

The casting was so poor, when I originally saw the pictures I was sure he'd be playing Howland Reed (who I am still banking on trapping Dayne in a fish net).

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Ok, this I can understand and this viewpoint is thought out and makes sense. It's not, they suck, I hate them and everything they do!

Ned remembers the ToJ as a sad and tragic moment, but it doesn't mean it was a sad and tragic moment at the time. It's sad because he knows his sister died after the fight, because how they killed Dayne, because the lies and the pain the ToJ brought.

There's a difference there

2 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Ned remembers the ToJ as a sad and tragic moment, but it doesn't mean it was a sad and tragic moment at the time. It's sad because he knows his sister died after the fight, because how they killed Dayne, because the lies and the pain the ToJ brought.

There's a difference there

Of course it was a sad and tragic moment at the time.  He has absolutely no reason to wish to kill Arthur Dayne, except that Dayne's sense of duty compels him to follow whatever orders Rhaegar gave him.  Dayne has no wish to kill him either.  The entire fight at the TOJ should have been easily avoidable, but it wasn't avoided...that was sad and tragic then and now.  All of Ned's people except Reed also die..sad and tragic at the time.  The fact that his sister too dies makes it more sad and more tragic but it doesn't erase the rest of it.  It's not as if had Lyanna lived Ned would have been all 'awesome fight bro, look at all those honorable men we killed, great'.

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Then lets hear your crystal ball for exactly what you think Dany will be doing over the next few episodes so we can grade your prediction. Anyone can say something in hindsight so this is your chance to prove your not as prone to exaggeration as it seems.

Drogon comes, and this makes the Dothraki follow Dany.  She returns to Mereen, likely to end the seige brought on by Yunkai, Astapor, and Volantis (I'm assuming this is going to come up based on recent events.  This wasn't something everyone in R&R predicted all throughout the summer), possibly with a decision to set sail for Westeros at the end.  

But if you seriously thought her being taken back to the Dhos Khaleen was unpredicatble, you haven't been reading/watching. If you thought Dany wouldn't be plot armored from Dothraki rape, you haven't been watching.  And if you thought Dany proudly reciting her titles like she is in a position of power, even though she isn't, you haven't been watching.

Edited by JonSnow4President

43 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Drogon comes, and this makes the Dothraki follow Dany.  She returns to Mereen, likely to end the seige brought on by Yunkai, Astapor, and Volantis (I'm assuming this is going to come up based on recent events.  This wasn't something everyone in R&R predicted all throughout the summer), possibly with a decision to set sail for Westeros at the end.  

Drogon's rescued can be predicted due to filming spoilers, and Dany coming to the rescue with the Dothraki has been predicted by book readers ever since the ending of ADWD.

43 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

But if you seriously thought her being taken back to the Dhos Khaleen was unpredicatble, you haven't been reading/watching. If you thought Dany wouldn't be plot armored from Dothraki rape, you haven't been watching.  And if you thought Dany proudly reciting her titles like she is in a position of power, even though she isn't, you haven't been watching.

The Dosh Khaleen was predicted due to casting spoilers. It's not surprising for us because we've read the book, read the theories, and paid attention to filming and casting spoilers. The average viewer don't know what's going to happen in Dany's storyline and will be surprised, as they were when Jon Snow was resurrected.

Edited by Dragon in the North

1 minute ago, JonSnow4President said:

Drogon comes, and this makes the Dothraki follow Dany.  She returns to Mereen, likely to end the seige brought on by Yunkai, Astapor, and Volantis (I'm assuming this is going to come up), possibly with a decision to set sail for Westeros at the end.  

I think the unpredictable factor for a lot of viewers/readers is how/if/when she can untie the Mereen knot and get to Westeros. And by your own qualifyer of "possibly" it's still somewhat up in the air how that all comes together even if most viewers/readers expect that course. The talk of a Mereen knot never would have became a thing if this was as simple as ABC. Also the silliness of "plot armoured from Dothraki rape" and "returning to Doth Khaleen" are entirely your words and have nothing to do with anything I commented on, so saying I thought that was unforseeable is a stretch, the hazy part was and still is, how/if this gets to Westeros eventually?

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think the unpredictable factor for a lot of viewers/readers is how/if/when she can untie the Mereen knot and get to Westeros. And by your own qualifyer of "possibly" it's still somewhat up in the air how that all comes together even if most viewers/readers expect that course. The talk of a Mereen knot never would have became a thing if this was as simple as ABC. Also the silliness of "plot armoured from Dothraki rape" and "returning to Doth Khaleen" are entirely your words and have nothing to do with anything I commented on, so saying I thought that was unforseeable is a stretch, the hazy part was and still is, how/if this gets to Westeros eventually?

Dany will get to Westeros, this isn't even really an open question.  We know it from what the author has said, we know from his original trilogy vision, we know it if we have any common sense at all.

Quite frankly, I doubt very many viewers or readers much care how she gets to Westeros, the only real question is will she leave Meereen/Slaver's Bay better than she found it, or a smoking ruin.  Beyond that, it's irrelevant to the story,.

How she gets to Westeros and how Slavers Bay is resolved is a relevant question to me and not entirely predictable to the point of boring plot or irrelevant, I still have a sense of mystery to how that unfolds. And I dont feel thats regrettable or the story a waste of my time.

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Unfortunately Dany's storyline is utterly predictable:
They will take her to the council to judge her.
Drogon shows up and fries some of the foolhardy khals.
They agree to follow Dany.
In the meantime 'wise maesters' of slaver cities lay siege to Mereen.
Volanteen fleet shows up.
Dany arrives back just in time to break the siege.
Yara shows up with the ironfleet.
At the end of season 6 Dany has everything in place to sail back to Westeros: dragons, dothraki, ironborn, big fleets.

Edited by watcher of the night

35 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Hide contents

The Dosh Khaleen was predicted due to casting spoilers. It's not surprising for us because we've read the book, read the theories, and paid attention to filming and casting spoilers. The average viewer don't know what's going to happen in Dany's storyline and will be surprised, as they were when Jon Snow was resurrected.

Most of my friends/family who watch GoT have not read the books (though in this case book readers don't know either).  It is no small amount of people.  While I haven't taken notarized statements from ALL of them, as far as I know, every single one of them knew Jon was still alive and had a minimal reaction when it happened.

Using my Facebook feed as a clearly unbiased random sampling poll, every entertainment news agency found this moment to be shocking, but no actual watchers of the show did.  The only reaction I saw were two younger viewers glad to have the pretty boy back and moving around.  Normally my feed is spammed with stuff when big happens on this show (or Walking Dead).

29 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Reveal hidden contents

Drogon's rescued can be predicted due to filming spoilers, and Dany coming to the rescue with the Dothraki has been predicted by book readers ever since the ending of ADWD.

I dont watch spoilers or following casting before the show airs, I avoid that shit like the plague and want to see that stuff first in the show. As to the "Dany plot proof from rape" and getting waylaid to Dosh Khaleen, that wasnt anything from my posts that I even mentioned. I'm not excited about the detour in DK I want to see how the pivot to Westeros is going to happen.

Am not unsullied btw.