[Poll] How would you rate episode 603?

Ran

How would you rate episode 603?  

417 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think the unpredictable factor for a lot of viewers/readers is how/if/when she can untie the Mereen knot and get to Westeros. And by your own qualifyer of "possibly" it's still somewhat up in the air how that all comes together even if most viewers/readers expect that course. The talk of a Mereen knot never would have became a thing if this was as simple as ABC. Also the silliness of "plot armoured from Dothraki rape" and "returning to Doth Khaleen" are entirely your words and have nothing to do with anything I commented on, so saying I thought that was unforseeable is a stretch, the hazy part was and still is, how/if this gets to Westeros eventually?

I'm merely saying many people have predicted what Dany would do so far this season.  And "possibly" is merely for the time factor this season.

As far as Jon Snow not being surprising because I'm a book reader, my best friend, who I don't talk about ASOIAF/GoT much so I don't spoil anything for him, knew Jon was coming back, even when I tried to say no when he asked me about it.

6 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I'm merely saying many people have predicted what Dany would do so far this season.  And "possibly" is merely for the time factor this season.

As far as Jon Snow not being surprising because I'm a book reader, my best friend, who I don't talk about ASOIAF/GoT much so I don't spoil anything for him, knew Jon was coming back, even when I tried to say no when he asked me about it.

Surely it has always been obvious Jon was coming back? I knew he was coming back the second I read he'd been stabbed in the book. It would make zero sense to kill him off at that point and many people recognise that.

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Surely it has always been obvious Jon was coming back? I knew he was coming back the second I read he'd been stabbed in the book. It would make zero sense to kill him off at that point and many people recognise that.

Thank you. And with the show it has been very obvious. Worst kept secret ever.

34 minutes ago, legba11 said:

Most of my friends/family who watch GoT have not read the books (though in this case book readers don't know either).  It is no small amount of people.  While I haven't taken notarized statements from ALL of them, as far as I know, every single one of them knew Jon was still alive and had a minimal reaction when it happened.

Using my Facebook feed as a clearly unbiased random sampling poll, every entertainment news agency found this moment to be shocking, but no actual watchers of the show did.  The only reaction I saw were two younger viewers glad to have the pretty boy back and moving around.  Normally my feed is spammed with stuff when big happens on this show (or Walking Dead).

Things were a little different in my household. My family, including aunts, uncles, and cousins, are Unsullied and were completely shocked when Jon Snow came back to life. My dad and I were  the only ones who read the book, and even he didn't think he was coming back.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

Humor me if you will. The Tower of Joy scene. It is taken from a chapter, from a fever dream, and in the book it is what, like half a page long? And yet people have it built up in their minds as this mind blowing battle and unbelievably well written 15 lines of dialogue.

So that little piece of a 10,000 page series is so critical and has all the heart and soul of the books? Dayne has like three lines out of the whole part, that's it.

Personally I believe that it has been so long that people have read and reread the books into something that nothing will ever compare to. To me you just have to separate the books and show when watching and only watch the show based on it's merits.

I bitched about the dogs disappearing during the fight, about Dorne the entire series, about a lot of Dany because the actor just seems so stiff. But I try to not compare that Jon doesn't walk around flexing his hand all the time or that they seem to have removed Robbs will, because this is their adaptation.

No I don't think the TOJ has all the heart and soul of the books.  I don't think that scene was poorly done.  As I already said that was one of the few bright parts in the last 2 years of the show.  I don't mind that Arthur Dayne wielded 2 swords or wore Targaryen symbols.  Those are film devices to define characters that can't be done the way a book can do it.

Its some very basic concepts of the characters and the story they don't get.  I don't think that my interpretation is the only valid view.  But some things are so fundamental they aren't open to interpretation.  And more often than not their interpretation is nonsensical.  Its not just different. 

22 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

One of my favorite episodes of the series. ToJ exceeded my expectations and was better than the book. Kit was marvelous and I'm shocked George let HBO spoil such a massive reveal. Guess that's what happens when you're busy releasing Arianne samples.

oh, snap!

An 8!

I really liked it. Far better than last week's.

I liked that they reintroduced Sam and Gilly. I didn't recognised Gilly at first and thought it could be Dusky Woman and Euron.

TOWER OF JOY!! Good good. I watched this episode in a low qualitity, and recollecting I kinda mistook a lot of characters. For a second example, the first sight we get of Arthur Dayne I thought it was Jaime and I said "oh... how are they plannning to make it work in the plot?" (I thought the first blondie honing the sword was Arthur). I liked it how they depicted it, and yes we all know "it was not like the book", but it was really well executed. I agree that young Ned actor seemed a bit off character, but then I remebered it's supposed to look like Ned is just a brat put in a bad position.

KIng's Landing very interesting too, I liked that the little birds are shown :) Kinda have forgotten who was sitting as a hand of the King, so it was nice that they remembered me that Kevan was still around. Isn't it a bit off that he's so bitch cold to his nephew and niece? I mean, he has to put away Cersei, but slighting her and Jaime in front of the Tyrells... I can be missing something but I don't remember Kevan being so much of a traitor to the Lannister cause.

I liked a lot how Tommen is depicted, being weak while trying to demand or negociate, comparing him to the conversation between Umber and Ramsay, where you can see a totally different attitude.

Winterfell: as said above, awesome scene. What did Osha feed Rickon with? Is he the same actor? Wow, puberty hit hard the Stark kids... I want to believe it's a ruse, but where the fuck can you find a head of a direwolf to pretend it's shaggydog's?? It can't be like all those dwarves' heads sent to Cersei...

I'm a skeptic to the wall scenes, and I dislike Kit as Jon Snow, but his lines were good, and he's doing a good job looking like someone who's just returned from death. (Those weasel's eyes moving constantly in fear and distrust).

Meereen was boring, including Tyrion. The Khaleesi was just fine, nothing outstanding.

21 minutes ago, Baltan said:

An 8!

I really liked it. Far better than last week's.

I liked that they reintroduced Sam and Gilly. I didn't recognised Gilly at first and thought it could be Dusky Woman and Euron.

TOWER OF JOY!! Good good. I watched this episode in a low qualitity, and recollecting I kinda mistook a lot of characters. For a second example, the first sight we get of Arthur Dayne I thought it was Jaime and I said "oh... how are they plannning to make it work in the plot?" (I thought the first blondie honing the sword was Arthur). I liked it how they depicted it, and yes we all know "it was not like the book", but it was really well executed. I agree that young Ned actor seemed a bit off character, but then I remebered it's supposed to look like Ned is just a brat put in a bad position.

KIng's Landing very interesting too, I liked that the little birds are shown :) Kinda have forgotten who was sitting as a hand of the King, so it was nice that they remembered me that Kevan was still around. Isn't it a bit off that he's so bitch cold to his nephew and niece? I mean, he has to put away Cersei, but slighting her and Jaime in front of the Tyrells... I can be missing something but I don't remember Kevan being so much of a traitor to the Lannister cause.

I liked a lot how Tommen is depicted, being weak while trying to demand or negociate, comparing him to the conversation between Umber and Ramsay, where you can see a totally different attitude.

Winterfell: as said above, awesome scene. What did Osha feed Rickon with? Is he the same actor? Wow, puberty hit hard the Stark kids... I want to believe it's a ruse, but where the fuck can you find a head of a direwolf to pretend it's shaggydog's?? It can't be like all those dwarves' heads sent to Cersei...

I'm a skeptic to the wall scenes, and I dislike Kit as Jon Snow, but his lines were good, and he's doing a good job looking like someone who's just returned from death. (Those weasel's eyes moving constantly in fear and distrust).

Meereen was boring, including Tyrion. The Khaleesi was just fine, nothing outstanding.

Kit is brilliant and has gotten better every season.

7 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Kit is brilliant and has gotten better every season.

I was praising him :P. Definitely he's gotten better, specially it was seen in the last two battle scenes (Castle Black and Hardome) where he showed great skill, and seems more on point with the character. But I still don't like him as Jon Snow :dunno:.

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

One of my favorite episodes of the series. ToJ exceeded my expectations and was better than the book. Kit was marvelous and I'm shocked George let HBO spoil such a massive reveal. Guess that's what happens when you're busy releasing Arianne samples.

You've famously not read the books, so you have no business saying the show "improved" the Tower of Joy. :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Gustavo Fringed Sleeves said:

You've famously not read the books, so you have no business saying the show "improved" the Tower of Joy. :dunno:

Ha, I'm not surprised to learn that, typical show apologist. And what's this massive reveal he/she is talking about, I certainly didn't learn anything about what's going to happen in the books by watching D&D's terrible adaption fan-fic.

58 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

I think Jack is referring to Jon's resurrection.

Thanks, but... 

My interpretation, when I read the book was that GRRM wasnt trying to make the reader think that Jon was actually dead, or not for good anyway. This is well supported by the numerous theories pre-dating this episodes "massive reveal". Not on whether Jon would live, but on how he would survive and how Jon's character and arc would be affected by this experience. As well as at what price. Something completely lost on D&D, as it seems dying hasn't cost Jon anything except a few locks of hair, and only served to free him from the Watch so he can join the rest of Weisseros in their quests for, you guessed it, revenge. 

So, as I'm convinced that the books will not be anything close to what the show has done, nothing was revealed in this episode, and therefore GRRM has no reason to not let them reveal this, not that George has any control over what the show does anyway. 

ETA: Besides, it's quite obvious that @Jack Bauer 24's comment was only made to take a cheap shot at GRRM. 

Edited by Darkstream

With his (again) releasing a chapter seemingly in response to something not well liked on the show, I feel safe in saying Martin has no control of the show and isn't happy with some things.  He won't come out and say it as he is making a fortune off it (and he seems too professional for that type of behavior, even if he can't hit deadlines).

I like Tyrion but that scene wasn't really necessary.  I understand that it was meant to tell us that Missandei speaks 19 languages and that one of them will be pretty useful soon but it could have been brought up differently.  It was a  waste of time.  Same with the scene with Sam.  It lingered for too long just so we would find out that Gilly isn't going to the Citadel.  We could have done without all that puking.  

I liked the Tower of Joy and was pretty sure we wouldn't see it all in one episode just based on the fact that BR doesn't let Bran wander in the past for too long.

I liked the scene with Varys.  Liked the dialog

Edited by BloodBrother

Agree with Kit improving with every season. On the contrary, Emilia Clarke has gotten worse and worse. Such a shame.

But I already noticed that Kit killed it back in Season 4 and 5, and he showed some impressive acting skills this last episode.

Edited by Ingelheim

8 hours ago, Darkstream said:

Ha, I'm not surprised to learn that, typical show apologist. And what's this massive reveal he/she is talking about, I certainly didn't learn anything about what's going to happen in the books by watching D&D's terrible adaption fan-fic.

The rest of ToJ will obviously be revealed in the next few episodes. George is letting the show spoil/confirm one of the biggest theories ever (R+L). If that's ok with you then that's cool, but George should be doing more to combat big revelations like that. He's more concerned with showing how Dorne is different though...