Gerold Hightower not missing but inside the tower?

BlackwaterPark

If D&D don't want to create a big plot hole they must not have overseen this http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Arthur_Dayne?file=BookOfBrothersDayne.jpg and thus Gerold still has to be killed. I believe Gerold is the one missing since, if I remember correctly, Oswell Whent was the one on his knees. And we all noticed Arthur Dayne fighting with Dawn in one hand and a random ass sword on the other.

I like the idea, but why is it important that Gerold Hightower be in that scene? For me it's beside the point; focus should be on Lyanna and Jon. I couldn't care less that there were two Kingsguard rather than three in today's episode. Made no difference to the scene as a whole.

5 hours ago, BlackwaterPark said:

If D&D don't want to create a big plot hole they must not have overseen this http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Arthur_Dayne?file=BookOfBrothersDayne.jpg and thus Gerold still has to be killed.

Oh, yeah, big plothole, very big. Some text you only can read on a still.... 

feeding an other giant would have been to expensive, so Hightower is out. Get used to it.

19 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Ser Gerold wasn't completely cut, he was explicitly mentioned in this episode.

Maybe in the show continuity he wasn't at the ToJ, maybe he was slain by the Trident.

From the picture of the book of KG, he died at ToJ.

Cutting him in the same episode they mentioned him, doesn't make sense at all. Why not cut the other KG, but keep Gerold?

19 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Ser Gerold wasn't completely cut, he was explicitly mentioned in this episode.

Maybe in the show continuity he wasn't at the ToJ, maybe he was slain by the Trident.

Cutting him in the same episode they mentioned him, doesn't make sense at all. Why not cut the other KG, but keep Gerold?

1 hour ago, TheRevanchist said:

This tbh. I suppose that he might be inside the tower by Lyanna's door or something like that so we can have another fight in a future episode.

WTF ..in tv show rheagar only left 2 people behind to protect lyanna during wartime ?

Martin should have written it something like 3 KG against 9 northener . made it more realistic.  i dont undestand why Ned will just go with 6 northener to fight and rescue her sister.  Ned would have lost his life if there were 20 good men at TOJ.

its more real to see Oswell killing 1, Gerold killing 1 and Arthur taking down 5 northeners to show his deadly display.

3 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

:agree:

I don't know why they made a big deal of mentioning him, if they were just going to cut him. 

4 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

Cutting him in the same episode they mentioned him, doesn't make sense at all. 

It's a nod to book readers. "Yeah, we know he existed. We didn't have him in the ToJ scene for reasons. Get over it."

3 hours ago, naik2902 said:

WTF ..in tv show rheagar only left 2 people behind to protect lyanna during wartime ?

Martin should have written it something like 3 KG against 9 northener . made it more realistic.  i dont undestand why Ned will just go with 6 northener to fight and rescue her sister.  Ned would have lost his life if there were 20 good men at TOJ.

its more real to see Oswell killing 1, Gerold killing 1 and Arthur taking down 5 northeners to show his deadly display.

Thank you! This is how it should have been. 

How do we know Ned knew there were any KG at the Tower of Joy? We don't even know why he went there. Presumably someone told him Rhaegar was holing up there before the Trident. Apparently Ned was expecting Dayne there. When he didn't find him, he didn't have much of a reason to suspect all 3 missing KG (presuming he knew there were still 3 living KG) were at the ToJ. I think he would have thought it more likely that they were on Dragonstone with Viserys and Daenarys. 

9 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

I like the idea, but why is it important that Gerold Hightower be in that scene? For me it's beside the point; focus should be on Lyanna and Jon. I couldn't care less that there were two Kingsguard rather than three in today's episode. Made no difference to the scene as a whole.

So in your opinion it doesnt matter if everyone was cut except Ned and lyanna, and well lets also cut Benjen cos he is not important only went missing, and lets also cut, well everyone except anyone who fights the last fight :P

SO unimportant right?

Its funny cos if i remember they have show written that Gerald dies in the TOJ back in season 4 or something? Irony

5 hours ago, naik2902 said:

If Rhaegar had left Lyanna with 20 good men, it's likely that they'd have surrendered to Robert or Eddard after the Trident, or after the siege of Storm's End ended. They would have hurried to deliver Lyanna and her son to the winners hoping to earn their good graces. Rhaegar needed someone who could trust completely, and those were the sworn brothers of the Kignsguard. Also, the TOJ was in Dornish territory, so the rebels could only reach there after defeating anyone else. 20 guards more wouldn't have changed anything.

Now, why Eddard only went there with 6 men, when he was commanding a huge army at the time? The text strongly suggests that those six were all personal friends and of proven loyalty. All of them were Northmen, and many of them had ties to the Starks. It seems likely that Eddard suspected what he would find at the TOJ, and wanted people he could trust with a secret as big as the existence of Rhaegar's secret heir. Possibly Eddard did not trust anyone else than those 6 friends.

Archived