Gerold Hightower not missing but inside the tower?

BlackwaterPark

1 hour ago, Nami said:

That was Gerold Hightower?
What the fuck? so Arthur Dayne acted more like Lord Commander than the actual Commander there?
He looked too young and kinda insecure to be honest to be playing someone of such rank.

Exactly!!!! Agreed x2!!!!

I can't believe that was supposed to be Ser Gerald Hightower -_- 

4 hours ago, goomba said:

Exactly!!!! Agreed x2!!!!

I can't believe that was supposed to be Ser Gerald Hightower -_- 

Something to consider:  we are all disappointed that Barristan Selmy didn't get an epic fight scene before his death.  One reason he didn't get such a scene, I suspect, is that the actor who played him was too old to perform in an epic fight scene.

For TOJ, they certainly could have cast someone older.  But one of their goals in casting the scene (as explicitly stated in the casting call) was to have actors capable of performing in an epic fight scene.  In fact, the actors cast for the scene had no purpose other than to act in a fight scene.  So it makes a bit of sense that they went for young, athletic guys.

4 hours ago, Boarsbane said:

Yes because I clearly was referring specifically to myself and no one else when I said book readers critical of some of their changes...

Sorry, I guess I wrote that poorly. Let me rephrase: I don't understand why anyone would think D&D were intentionally trying to make book readers angry. It makes no sense.

11 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Sorry, I guess I wrote that poorly. Let me rephrase: I don't understand why anyone would think D&D were intentionally trying to make book readers angry. It makes no sense.

Maybe it was intentional, maybe it wasn't but I'm sure they knew butchering the scene the way they did would rub some people the wrong way, either they didn't care about how those people would feel or they got some sort of petty gratification out of it. You can't convince me that the scene as it was in the books would of been too boring for the show watchers so you have to wonder why mess with a good thing?

On 5/9/2016 at 7:02 AM, Nerevanin said:

This tbh. I suppose that he might be inside the tower by Lyanna's door or something like that so we can have another fight in a future episode.

I said as much to a friend the other day. Third guy is like to be in the Tower itself. Until proven otherwise, im gonna assume that.

5 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

I said as much to a friend the other day. Third guy is like to be in the Tower itself. Until proven otherwise, im gonna assume that.

Agreed..

And that could help make sense of the manner in which Lyanna was screaming inside (maybe, lol). 

Even in the book shes screamed for "Lord Eddard.." , and the scene has already illustrated that the "official" version of the history is likely a little off...

I don't really care whether Gerold was cut or is lurking in the tower (which I doubt).  Considering how many more important characters have been cut from the show, what's another one?

What was odd about the scene, though, was that Ned didn't address or acknowledge the other knight.  His mother and father would have been very disappointed with his manners.  ;-) 

55 minutes ago, storm.131 said:

I don't really care whether Gerold was cut or is lurking in the tower (which I doubt).  Considering how many more important characters have been cut from the show, what's another one?

What was odd about the scene, though, was that Ned didn't address or acknowledge the other knight.  His mother and father would have been very disappointed with his manners.  ;-) 

Guys, read the entire thread. The actor playing the second KG said on his Twitter account that he was playing Hightower. Several people mention this in previous posts. He wasn't cut from the show, but by Ned's dagger.(EDIT) I guess you could call that an acknowledgment of sorts.

I agree with those above who point out we have yet to see the whole of the scene. We cannot say there are only two kingsguard present until we have seen all of it. I would agree it would make sense for all three to fight together, improves the odds and all that, but maybe there was a reason why the other had to be inside the tower. And come to think of it, surely this is a defencive tower with big walls and stout doors. Just how would Ned break in if they had simply locked themselves in? Pretty daft for any to be outside fighting, surely? Maybe they were caught outside by Ned. One always left inside on guard? Would the kingsguard ever leave the side of the king? A third guard inside could be very helpful in telling us the story in due course.

On 09/05/2016 at 10:16 AM, Mr Smith said:

I like the idea, but why is it important that Gerold Hightower be in that scene? For me it's beside the point; focus should be on Lyanna and Jon. I couldn't care less that there were two Kingsguard rather than three in today's episode. Made no difference to the scene as a whole.

I think it does not matter in the show, but in the book it is an important  part of the clue. There are seven kingsguard and three of them were left to guard a prisoner in the desert instead of guarding  the King. Being personal bodyguard to the king ought to be their job. If only two were left there then it is that bit less important a job.

Everyone is right to point out that both sides ought to have used more men and that a possible reason for not doing so was discretion.But if Ned suspected beforehand that he needed discretion so only brought some trusted people, there might be some question why he needed to fight the kingsguard at all.

20 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

Lord Eddard Stark slew the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, Ser Gerold Hightower. Wow.

lol Let that sink in.

Apparently Ned is one of the best swordsman in Westeros huh? He put up quite the challenge for Jaime Lannister and slew the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. What a legend.

On 5/10/2016 at 6:19 PM, Forlong the Fat said:

Something to consider:  we are all disappointed that Barristan Selmy didn't get an epic fight scene before his death.  One reason he didn't get such a scene, I suspect, is that the actor who played him was too old to perform in an epic fight scene.

For TOJ, they certainly could have cast someone older.  But one of their goals in casting the scene (as explicitly stated in the casting call) was to have actors capable of performing in an epic fight scene.  In fact, the actors cast for the scene had no purpose other than to act in a fight scene.  So it makes a bit of sense that they went for young, athletic guys.

We were all disappointed? I wasn't. He DID have an epic exit against the Harpies. 

6 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

We were all disappointed? I wasn't. He DID have an epic exit against the Harpies. 

It may have been epic... I wouldn't have noticed because I was too busy fuming over the Unsullied patrolling the streets and alleys with 7 foot spears. The book and the show both made the point that Unsullied were trained with spear and short sword. Greyworm should have been fired.

24 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

It may have been epic... I wouldn't have noticed because I was too busy fuming over the Unsullied patrolling the streets and alleys with 7 foot spears. The book and the show both made the point that Unsullied were trained with spear and short sword. Greyworm should have been fired.

I thought Barry had an epic end but I have noticed that the fighting prowess of the Unsullied has diminished since Dany freed them. They are built up as these fearless warriors yet get taken out by a bunch of punks in masks. And who trained these Sons of the Harpy that they are able to go toe to toe with most fearless and trained warriors of Essos? And Greyworm has become useless.

On May 11, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Ingelheim said:

The actor playing the other Kingsguard, Eddie Eyre, confirmed on Twitter that he was playing both Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent.

Here's the link.

https://twitter.com/EddieEyre/status/729796204733837313

This should end the debate.

And IMDB has him listed as Hightower. 

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6793798/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t44

However, I noticed last night on yet another rewatch.... yes, I'm a freak.... there are three white cloaks on the ground behind Hightower and Dayne. Two on the rocks, and one on the ground to the left.

Whent in the Tower perhaps? 

•  

Archived