TV Arya disappointment! Deliberate weakening of another female character? Potential spoilers

Book Arya is so awesome at warging, even better than Bran. In the scene where she finally beats the waif fighting, book Arya uses the eyes of the cat whilst still being able to move her own body - Bran cannot do this as whenever he wargs to Hodor or Summer he lies lifeless on the ground. Also Arya's warging abilities are far reaching as she is able to warg Nymeria across continents!

Arya has super abilities, the warg force is exceptionally strong in her (even for a Stark) and whilst it is great that TV show Arya is starting to be able to fight a little blind, it's not really that spectacular when compared to superwarging. I'm a little disappointed with the lack of warging from TV Arya, am i alone? Book Arya can fight & has strong power too. Is this a deliberate weakening of yet another female character?

"Deliberate weakening of [another] female character." I don't think so.  The nature of self and identity is a major theme in Arya's story and she is "no one" now.  The fact that she hasn't warged a cat (yet) doesn't diminish that.

I'm holding out hope that her warging abilities will manifest and her wolf dreams will be a catalyst in rediscovering "Arya Stark".

I doubt it's been done with any intention of "weakening" Arya, the decision to only give Bran the warging powers in the show I can only presume is so he can have something unique about him to make him interesting. Jon and Arya have much more fleshed out and engaging plot lines than Bran, if they both warged too he'd be even more marginalised as a point of interest.

40 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

"Deliberate weakening of [another] female character." I don't think so.  The nature of self and identity is a major theme in Arya's story and she is "no one" now.  The fact that she hasn't warged a cat (yet) doesn't diminish that.

I'm holding out hope that her warging abilities will manifest and her wolf dreams will be a catalyst in rediscovering "Arya Stark".

I would love for this to happen.

I also think it's not true to say Arya is the most powerful warg of the siblings. Jon, arguably in the books still, stays alive thanks to warging just like the prologue guy. That's an impressive and unique feat among the siblings. Arya clearly can't control her animals at all. She may be able to have a more surface connection with them, which is how she manages to see herself moving. Not necessarily more powerful, just different. 

There are a mixture of weaker and stronger women in the show, as there are a mixture of weaker and stronger men. Some developing less so as time goes on, and some the other. There is no deliberate weakening of Arya because she a female character. Arya happens to be female. Jon, Robb and Rickon happen to be male. None can warg like in the books.

I am disappoints in the lack of her warging too. But that doesn't mean they are weakening her character. She learns to fight blind and to me, the training montage was pretty badass. They showed her learning poisons, talking about her family, the Hound, and her list, which made her vulnerable but strong at the same time. There is still hope they will keep some sort of connection between her and Nymeria, which I still think they reunite by the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, Wynafryd Manderly said:

To be fair, Jon doesn't have warging abilities in the show either...

I don't think the lack of warging weakens Arya's character development at all. The warging is such a literary device.  I don't see how you can show it visually in so many characters without it getting old. Tv audiences are just starting to see how it works with Bran.   I think D&D are limiting the warging so that it will have more story punch. 

I had never imagined Arya's stick fighting scenes would be so violent. In the book she mentions bruises, not bleeding and getting her teeth knocked out.  She's one tough kid. 

jon has already been identified as a warg by the wildlings, he just hasn't done it yet...or so we think...

and arya is the baddest of the bad pussy on this show...nothing is weakening her

of course that is just the opinion of this salty old asshole...feel free to disagree

:smoking:

Weakening yet another female character?

What is wong eith you? The show runners never did that eith Arya.

Not to mention, them being too powerful this season after all that whining last season.

I believe this thread was just a bait.

Archived