TV Arya disappointment! Deliberate weakening of another female character? Potential spoilers

2 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

She's hardly a leader of troops, but I can see Sansa condemning LF and Ramsey to death before the series is out.

Why would Sansa condemn LF at this stage? With Jon gone, isn't LF the only ally she has? Where else would she go? I can't see her going to hide-out in the saphire islands with Brienne & Pod.

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Why would Sansa condemn LF at this stage? With Jon gone, isn't LF the only ally she has? Where else would she go? I can't see her going to hide-out in the saphire islands with Brienne & Pod.

She finally works out how LF has been playing her as a pawn in his GoT, and sold her to be raped by Ramsey. It will be her first 'Ass-Bitch' moment, pushing her down a path to become Catelyn Mk.II. She'll be under the protection of Jon and all the Stark loyalist forces of the North.

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

She finally works out how LF has been playing her as a pawn in his GoT, and sold her to be raped by Ramsey. It will be her first 'Ass-Bitch' moment, pushing her down a path to become Cercei Mk.II. She'll be under the protection of Jon and all the Stark loyalist forces of the North.

If they are still alive.

Sansa still trusts LF. I think that the Ramsay marriage was just to damage Sansa enough, smash her hopes & dreams of romance and a happy marriage so that she would instead consider marrying someone like LF.

LF will eventually slip up though & you are right that she will eventually kill him in an "Ass-Bitch" moment. But not Cerci MkII please. She doesn't need mental health issues to be bad-ass. Kudos if she can keep it together.

I wrote 'Catelyn Mk. II'

Are we in the book or the show? Ah, show. Manderleys, turncoat Umbers? The previews certainly show two large forces lined up for the ep 9 Big Battle, so where does Jon get his troops from? Can't all be Wildings. LF will bring the US Cavalry from the Eyrie over the hill at the last moment, expecting Sansa's undying gratitude, of course.

12 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

I wrote 'Catelyn Mk. II'

Are we in the book or the show? Ah, show. Manderleys, turncoat Umbers? The previews certainly show two large forces lined up for the ep 9 Big Battle, so where does Jon get his troops from? Can't all be Wildings. LF will bring the US Cavalry from the Eyrie over the hill at the last moment, expecting Sansa's undying gratitude, of course.

Oh I see. Catelyn MkII might be worse than Cersi MkII! ...Why not LF MkII?

Do you think LF will bargain with Sansa in that he will provide troops, save her brothers, kill Ramsay & return her Winterfell on the proviso that she marry him? Or will he take the smarter albeit riskier route in asking her hand after the battle is done & hope that gratitude & social reciprocation wins the day? 

I think he'll bring the Eyrie to the Battle of Winterfell just in time to save the day. I don't think Sansa, Jon or anyone will be expecting them. He will then go for your second option, but will be discombobulated when Sansa turns on him.

Spoiler

I've just read that he's supposed to rock up to have a chat with the Tully's next episode. I thought the Freys were besieging them. Hope he's got a hotline to the USS Enterprise.

No. Just no. Arya is different but not weakened by a long shot. I'm actually more impressed by a blind girl learning to defend herself from attack without warging. Her story has been streamlined because warging in general has been scaled back considerably for all of the Starks (except Bran of course). Sorry for being critical but it's annoying when everything has to be turned into a gender/race/cultural crusade these days. Her story changed but Arya is a badass in both mediums. 

Why don't we talk about how much more mature and level-headed Gilly is on the show versus the books? Or does that not give anyone a chance to hop on a soapbox?

Since this is the only Arya discussion I saw I'll post the question here. After a couple rewatches of the latest episode this is still bothering me.  Why would the faceless men care about the social mores and status quos of Westeros in regards to baseborn brothers vs highborn brothers. Why did the waif hit her when she said she had 4 brothers? Arya has 4 brothers technically. Unless the Faceless men are believers in the R+L=J theory and know something we don't.

The whole waif hitting her thing is a part of the 'lying game' from the book, if arya tells a lie the waif hits her and she has to be able to slip a piece of information in that is a lie without the waif noticing. I believe there is one instance in those scenes where she does lie about something and get away with it but i will have to rewatch to be sure.

Its a part of her book training, the waif doesnt actually care about the information just if arya is lying.

19 hours ago, Castigear said:

Why don't we talk about how much more mature and level-headed Gilly is on the show versus the books? Or does that not give anyone a chance to hop on a soapbox?

Show Gilly didn't have to switch her baby with Mance's. Doing that is enough to drive anyone insane.

I really like Gilly, she's a survivor too & one of my favourite characters.

11 hours ago, lmanion said:

The whole waif hitting her thing is a part of the 'lying game' from the book, if arya tells a lie the waif hits her and she has to be able to slip a piece of information in that is a lie without the waif noticing. I believe there is one instance in those scenes where she does lie about something and get away with it but i will have to rewatch to be sure.

Presumably it's the names on her list, unless D&D have lopped some off to skip plotlines and hope no one notices!

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:

Presumably it's the names on her list, unless D&D have lopped some off to skip plotlines and hope no one notices!

They "lopped" the names of her list last season, during the first few episodes when she is sitting outside the house of black and white.

She narrows it down to 4, Walder Frey, Trant, the Mountain, Cersei. Then in this episode she says "Frey, Cersei, the Mountain" either she was trying to lie about Trant or she just didn't include him because he's dead. 

Ive heard some people say that this was her lie she got away with. not including Trant. I'm of the opinion it wasn't a lie though, she killed him therefore he isn't on the list anymore. I guess it's just a matter of opinion though.

On 5/10/2016 at 2:54 AM, ShadowKitteh said:

This!!!

Honestly. I don't get the constant complaining about this show.

if you don't like it, don't watch. What other shows do these people whine about? Do they watch Walking Dead and complain that there's too many zombies?

Making all the women evil,  vindictive killing machines does not equal "strong female characters". In fact,  just the opposite: they turned the sand snakes into one dimensional villain bitches. They turned Arya from a young, complex girl who wants vengeance on those destroyed her family and friends, into a someone so bloodthirsty that she performed one of the most ghastly, horrible murders on the show! In the book she kills, but not with such graphic bloodlust and gore. That's turning a strong, complex three dimensional female character into a little psycho in the making. Even Cersei is more complex and human in the books. 

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

They've empowered Brienne and Ellaria immensely, so the thread title is misleading.

The thread title was a question not a statement. 

IMO TV Brienne & book Brienne are on a par. Ellaria & the sand snakes are a little too caricature to be called empowered- Ellaria is a little less caricature than the sand snakes so you are probably right with her. The actress who plays Ellaria does an excellent job.

Archived