TV Arya disappointment! Deliberate weakening of another female character? Potential spoilers

On 5/9/2016 at 2:51 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

"Deliberate weakening of [another] female character." I don't think so.  The nature of self and identity is a major theme in Arya's story and she is "no one" now.  The fact that she hasn't warged a cat (yet) doesn't diminish that.

I'm holding out hope that her warging abilities will manifest and her wolf dreams will be a catalyst in rediscovering "Arya Stark".

That's an interesting idea. I would like to see that too. Then, at least, this season's portrayal of Arya can redeem itself to some degree. 

But it is still rather disappointing that D&D omitted Arya's warging abilities as a part of her FM advancement. The way the show played out was all a bit too Daredevil-esque for me. It seemed to drag out all the helpless blind Arya moments and then suddenly present a "badass" Arya capable of defending herself despite her blindness.

In the book, Arya doesn't really overcome her blindness nor is she expected to be able to physically defeat an FM. The blindness is a way of training her to be more attune to everything she hears and to be able to be more aware of everything going on around her. In that way the books are stronger because they at least retain degrees of verisimilitude.

On 22 May 2016 at 5:01 AM, lalunadelmar said:

In the book, Arya doesn't really overcome her blindness nor is she expected to be able to physically defeat an FM. The blindness is a way of training her to be more attune to everything she hears and to be able to be more aware of everything going on around her. In that way the books are stronger because they at least retain degrees of verisimilitude.

Agree with your analysis of blindness as a training tool for Arya.

Episode 5 just showed us that Arya didn't actually defeat the Waif blind, she had just progressed to a level which made it acceptable to give her her eyesight back. We now see that the Waif is still beating a perfectly seeing Arya senseless & easily too. There's still time so she may tune into her warging powers which would link her back to being a 'Stark'. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9 May 2016 at 10:51 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm holding out hope that her warging abilities will manifest and her wolf dreams will be a catalyst in rediscovering "Arya Stark".

It doesn't seem like it would be legit if Arya beat the Waif without warging after the fight scenes in episode 5. Might see her discover her powers in the next couple of episodes :)

Archived