George R R Martin's Original Plan

George R R Martin originally planed for 'A Dance with Dragons' to be the 4th novel in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' and it was going to be set 5 years after 'A Storm of Swords' but he found that he was relying too much on flashbacks so he started over again and 'A Feast for Crows' became the 4th novel.

I'm thinking that messed up everything in his plan for how he was going to write the books and that is why there has been a long break between 'A Storm of Swords' and 'A Feast for Crows' as well as 'A Feast for Crows' and 'A Dance with Dragons'. Would he have been better off sticking with his original plan and therefore the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels would have been finished quicker. He could have gone back to the years in between at another date. I know this is a bit controversial but it's what I think.

Do I have a point or am I way off base?

Dance with Dragons was originally intended to be the third book in a trilogy. The OP of the Heresy thread next door includes a transcript of the original synopsis which will give you an idea of how far we've come since his original vision.

3 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Dance with Dragons was originally intended to be the third book in a trilogy. The OP of the Heresy thread next door includes a transcript of the original synopsis which will give you an idea of how far we've come since his original vision.

I'm talking later on when the first 3 novels were published.

Actually it was supposed to be the second volume of the series.

A Game of Thrones (War of the Five Kings)

A Dance With Dragons (Dany's Conquest)

The Winds of Winter (The Battle of the Dawn)

Realistically I think he just got carried away with the War of the Five Kings. It ended up spanning 3 books. Then he needed two books to sort of close it off and set up the next phase.

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

Actually it was supposed to be the second volume of the series.

A Game of Thrones (War of the Five Kings)

A Dance With Dragons (Dany's Conquest)

The Winds of Winter (The Battle of the Dawn)

Realistically I think he just got carried away with the War of the Five Kings. It ended up spanning 3 books. Then he needed two books to sort of close it off and set up the next phase.

Ah, quite right you are. My bad

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:18 PM, Padraig O'Sullivan said:

George R R Martin originally planed for 'A Dance with Dragons' to be the 4th novel in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' and it was going to be set 5 years after 'A Storm of Swords' but he found that he was relying too much on flashbacks so he started over again and 'A Feast for Crows' became the 4th novel.

I'm thinking that messed up everything in his plan for how he was going to write the books and that is why there has been a long break between 'A Storm of Swords' and 'A Feast for Crows' as well as 'A Feast for Crows' and 'A Dance with Dragons'. Would he have been better off sticking with his original plan and therefore the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' novels would have been finished quicker. He could have gone back to the years in between at another date. I know this is a bit controversial but it's what I think.

Do I have a point or am I way off base?

The five year plan is what has screwed up the novels and why there is so much filler in them now.  GRRM's original plan was to tell the entire story with the same POV's as the first book.  That clearly went out of the window but what it tells us is that in reality those are the main characters.

He has introduced so many new characters that he has written himself into several holes that I don't believe he can dig himself out of.  Certain characters are in position for the end game but now have to wait around.  But rather than do that GRRM invented subplots for them which has delayed everything further.  He has moved some plots forward clearly.  Others he needs to justify their actions during the 5 year gap.

It's a complete mess.  I am re-reading and you can really tell from the quality of AGOT and ASOS that he was in his zone there.  ACOK got a bit bogged down (mainly again due to introduction of new characters) and was very slow in places but fit in with the first three novels.  Since then GRRM has lost his way.  So many new story arcs.  He seemingly feels he has to justify every outcome with its own little mini story.

Splitting the books was also another really poor decision.  He probably should've just focused on four or five characters during the 5 year gap, that required their story telling during that 5 year gap, e.g. Jaime/Cersei and had other characters like Arya not have a storyline during this period.

Archived