How I've been getting off

It's a fine line between pleasure and pain
You've done it once you can do it again
Whatever you've done don't' try to explain
It's a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain

It's all the same
It's all the same
It's all the same

The political circus is back ... a long election campaign; footy salary cap scandals; OHS changes to cricket and equestrian sports and way too warm for Autumn.

After a long hiatus, I wonder who'll be crawling out of the woodwork, skittering into dark corners when the lights go on like an inner West cockroach? 

Hazy skies, hazy minds, hazy feelings...

and nd in the centre a small island of peace.

It's the first election I'll be eligible to vote in but I'll be overseas on holiday and won't bother, found out you don't get fined if you're overseas. Also fuck compulsory voting, haven't figured out what my strategy will be beyond this election...abstain out of principle and take the fine? Abstain and lie so I don't get fined? Capitulate and vote - not because I care but because I'm forced to? I don't like any of those options.

You can always get your name crossed off at the booth and then do an invalid vote.

But I figure if you've made the trouble to get yourself marked off the rolls you might as well vote.

By far the most important issue, and I understand that this may be too soon and cut too close to people's emotions, is the utterly evil and disgusting (bordering on inhumane and criminal) changes to the Arnott's Shapes.

The boxes say "New and Improved."

This is a lie. The older shapes were better in every way. I am barely able to function any more. It is inconceivable that a brilliantly excellent product should become so atrocious.

Sorry if this opens too many wounds for everyone else. This is an issue close to my heart, though.

9 minutes ago, Yukle said:

By far the most important issue, and I understand that this may be too soon and cut too close to people's emotions, is the utterly evil and disgusting (bordering on inhumane and criminal) changes to the Arnott's Shapes.

The boxes say "New and Improved."

This is a lie. The older shapes were better in every way. I am barely able to function any more. It is inconceivable that a brilliantly excellent product should become so atrocious.

Sorry if this opens too many wounds for everyone else. This is an issue close to my heart, though.

I'm so glad someone brought this up. What the fuck have they done? Not only have they fucked up the taste they've also fucked up the texture. Like how do you fuck up that badly? How could anyone have thought that was a good idea? 

Unsurprisingly I am the polar opposite of the Trump fanboy.  I'll be voting Green as the only choice I have, because I cannot vote for a party that endorses the torture of asylum seekers.  Doesn't matter how aligned I might be with them on other issues, or how much I like my local member on other issues, that single thing overrides everything else.

I'm in Sydney, so Plibs is probably still safe, although the sudden freakout in Grayndler says polling indicates that Albo at least looks in genuine danger - the two state seats that comprise his electorate are both Greens now after all.  It's a complicated election, and it's going to personally hurt me a lot if the LNP are reelected, but this is too important to me to vote self interest.

Haven't decided yet, but in federal politics I usually tend to vote Liberal (ducks for cover). My claim to centrism is that I have voted Labor in some state elections (e.g. Bob Carr).

I know some of the Coalition policies are reprehensible (e.g. asylum seekers) but I'm not really a single issue voter (plus I don't know that Labor are all that different in this regard). I've become much more docile about the gay marriage issue, so that's not driving my potential Coalition vote. Economically I actually wish the government had put out a tougher budget with no sweeteners at all - but I don't think Labor's response was what I was really after either.

All in all, reasonably unexcited about the election. We really should have four years of federal government, not three. At least it gives governments a chance of being sensibly unpopular rather than kowtowing to short-termism all the time.

Haven't decided yet, but in federal politics I usually tend to vote Liberal (ducks for cover). My claim to centrism is that I have voted Labor in some state elections (e.g. Bob Carr).

I know some of the Coalition policies are reprehensible (e.g. asylum seekers) but I'm not really a single issue voter (plus I don't know that Labor are all that different in this regard). I've become much more docile about the gay marriage issue, so that's not driving my potential Coalition vote. Economically I actually wish the government had put out a tougher budget with no sweeteners at all - but I don't think Labor's response was what I was really after either.

All in all, reasonably unexcited about the election. We really should have four years of federal government, not three. At least it gives governments a chance of being sensibly unpopular rather than kowtowing to short-termism all the time.

Still wrapping my head around how useless Turnbull has been. He's given zero idea about what he wants to do beyond vague ramblings. Will probably vote Labor in the House and Greens in the Senate, as I agree with Shorten on negative gearing, super, public services, gay marriage, blah blah, and I don't want my Greens dude losing his spot.

Also, Lisa Scaffidi continues to be a shit. Learned nothing from Bishop apparently. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just learned the Australian Koala population is being decimated by Chlamydia. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes - quite old news really.  Many animal populations are affected by chlamydia including salt-water crocodiles.

Humans can actually be infected with koala chlamydia if the koala pees on them (which they quite often do if being held by humans lol).

18 minutes ago, The Knight of Flours said:

Yes - quite old news really.  Many animal populations are affected by chlamydia including salt-water crocodiles.

Humans can actually be infected with koala chlamydia if the koala pees on them (which they quite often do if being held by humans lol).

Dear god man. Not only do you have to check the toilet before going to the bathroom and while you're out and about have to make sure nothing bites or stings you, but you also have to make sure a koala doesn't pee on you??? Jeez.....

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dear god man. Not only do you have to check the toilet before going to the bathroom and while you're out and about have to make sure nothing bites or stings you, but you also have to make sure a koala doesn't pee on you??? Jeez.....

It's ok - they breed us tough downunder ;)

Archived