Aussies LXV - what choices have we?!

sh_wulff

8 hours ago, sh_wulff said:

And Baird has flushed himself away and left a big mess behind!

Yes he has...I hope there isn't some big scandal behind it. I suspect I'm in the minority but I actually didn't mind Baird. His administration was generally free of personal scandal and while his Christian values irked some, I obviously didn't mind them at all.

I know people will deride him for the lockout laws and I'm aware of the economic devastation it has had on nightlife in Sydney and the night-time economy (performers, venues, etc), and that's obviously not good. Similarly I know the greyhound thing was very unpopular. However, admittedly in the most selfish sense, neither of those things had any impact on me and I suspect the average suburb-dwelling Sydneysider who doesn't really go into the city or live close by feels the same.

On the other hand, he was an infrastructure premier. The construction industry is booming and the northwest rail, other roadworks and other stuff (e.g. new/upgraded hospitals) are going full steam ahead. I was told with major building going on in my workplace that the construction companies were charging much higher fees than 2 years ago simply due to the increasing demand for their services and the fact that there is only so much concrete and steel to go around.

The Northwest rail is worse than doing nothing imo. If they did nothing then there is the ability to do it right later - once you've spent all this money doing it wrong, and not just implementing a metro line for a suburban rail line (completely inappropriate carriage style) its also introducing a private line in the midst of all the public ones AND converting an existing public one to the new carriages and converting that to private without having to sell the privatisation. It gets the foot in the door for yet another firesale on public assets.

I have mixed feelings on him, I find his politics utter garbage and I'm very confident his religious beliefs are not flattering of people like me, but in some other ways I accept that he's probably not terrible. Having heard is sister (who I do really really like) is very unwell I actually accept the family health reason for the resignation...which is unusual for such a sudden departure.

I confess to not knowing a whole lot about the actual mechanics of the Northwest link, but compared to governments of the last however many years who have always promised action but never done anything, it seems to me that they are at least putting shovels in the ground and getting some of these infrastructure projects moving.

Labor will have a small window to exploit now, the NSW Labor party has been a complete nonentity since the end of the Iemma/Rees/Keneally days. I doubt very many could name the current or immediate past Labor NSW Leader (Luke Foley and John Robertson, respectively). This would be the chance for Labor to get a word in and present a decent alternative state government.

13 hours ago, Jeor said:

they are at least putting shovels in the ground

There is an awesome opportunity for someone competent who knows how to work with government on infrastructure projects. Taxpayers now see it as a joke, albeit quite a funny one, when governments say they will do something nation building. Its at the point where actually getting a shovel in the ground is success.

17 hours ago, Jeor said:

Labor will have a small window to exploit now, the NSW Labor party has been a complete nonentity since the end of the Iemma/Rees/Keneally days. I doubt very many could name the current or immediate past Labor NSW Leader (Luke Foley and John Robertson, respectively). This would be the chance for Labor to get a word in and present a decent alternative state government.

I saw Foley actually made a statement on the weekend! It even had some content! I think that's more than I saw from Robertson when O'Farrell resigned.

On 24/01/2017 at 2:34 PM, Paxter said:

Sorry for missing that meet Wulffy - I had a clash with a mate's birthday. I'm sure you guys had fun anyway!

You're forgiven. Baby- Wulff wanted to see all the familiar faces.

• 3 weeks later...

Regular blackouts, high unemployment, companies laying off more workers, unable to support itself, a leader elected with a lower popular vote who is now vowing to take control of the situation (bit late) but not telling anyone what he will do: South Australia is starting to sound American.

What can be done? I think below are a few options that might help, especially together:

• Increased renewables - as proven by huffington post, guardian, abc and other non partisan news sites, the so-called ongoing energy crisis in South Australia is a furphy and has nothing to do with renewables. In fact it is the failing of fossil fuels and the changing climate caused by them that has caused companies to lose power and money and then to shed jobs. An increase in the renewable target and the shutting down (as was originally planned) of the last remaining gas power generator in SA would be a definite boon to energy security within the state;
  • Sever state interconnector - It is not just enough to talk the talk, we need to walk the walk and not use any power that is generated using fossil fuels (forget how wind turbines and solar panels are made and of what material, don't even look into what goes into a battery) and become self reliant on clean renewables (not biomass);
  • Refugee resettlement - Rather than increasing the already high prosperity of western Sydney and Melbourne through immigration programs, let South Australia and Adelaide benefit from immigration;
  • Deindustrialisation and economic renewal - With energy prices sure to plummet as we move towards a cleaner, greener and more prosperous future, the cost of living is also going to be lower as with a decrease in extreme weather events caused by South Australia's emissions. The next step is to shut down the polluting industries of metal processing, automobile manufacturing, mining, gas and oil extraction. This will allow SA to focus on health and aged care plus retail.

It is important that South Australia continues to be the best example for renewables and progress. I am open to other suggestions and I only wish our politicians were. 

Monday last week Yassmin Abdel-Magied explained on QandA saying Islam is the most feminist religion whilst espousing the benefits of Sharia law. Then this:

• School boys in Hurstville are now refusing to shake the hands of women and are saying that it is because of their religion. This is supported by some universities and the NSW education department.
  • Last night on sky, the president of the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils said beating women is a "last resort". No wonder his first wife is ok with him getting a second wife.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, Squab said:

School boys in Hurstville are now refusing to shake the hands of women and are saying that it is because of their religion. This is supported by some universities and the NSW education department.

The school Principal and vice principal have been sacked at Punchbowl Boys High as women were being excluded from taking part in official events.

As someone who lived in Roselands growing up and then later in Strathfield, its disappointing to see the area going downhill and becoming renowned for this kind of thing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Read this article on why Australia is doing better than the US currently and thought it was pretty good.

Obviously we still have a lot of problems here in Australia, and it is a bit glib. Also, it's probably poor form to compare us to another country and just pick out the bits that are better (no doubt the US is doing better than us on lots of other metrics). But I like the overall vibe that we should remember we have some things pretty good over here. 

9 hours ago, Jeor said:

Also, it's probably poor form to compare us to another country and just pick out the bits that are better (no doubt the US is doing better than us on lots of other metrics).

We're 2nd on the Human Development Index while the USA is 8th. So I'd still say Australia is better overall. :)

And I wholeheartedly agree with his point about how much safer we are without guns.

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:42 AM, Squab said:

The school Principal and vice principal have been sacked at Punchbowl Boys High as women were being excluded from taking part in official events.

As someone who lived in Roselands growing up and then later in Strathfield, its disappointing to see the area going downhill and becoming renowned for this kind of thing.  

Reports from schooling in Punchbowl are getting worse. Threats to teachers and their families, acting out beheadings and demands for the Syrian flag to be hung in class. This will not only be damaging the offenders education but many others at the school as well imagine.

I see labor have had a plan to expand 18c to include political and religious beliefs or lack thereof, sexual orientation, age, disability status and a few others. A move that is sure to make all the religions nervous.  Would it be enough to ban some of their books though? For me, it still wouldn't go far enough.  I think we need to make it unlawful to offend someone based on their access to electricity. We wouldn't need to have our heads in the sand as it would be dark.

On 24/03/2017 at 0:08 PM, Squab said:

I see labor have had a plan to expand 18c to include political and religious beliefs or lack thereof, sexual orientation, age, disability status and a few others. A move that is sure to make all the religions nervous.  Would it be enough to ban some of their books though? For me, it still wouldn't go far enough.  I think we need to make it unlawful to offend someone based on their access to electricity. We wouldn't need to have our heads in the sand as it would be dark.

This is such a fantastic example of affective communication, as opposed to instrumental communication. The content makes little to no sense, but the racism nonetheless comes through loud and clear.

16 hours ago, Arkhangel said:

This is such a fantastic example of affective communication, as opposed to instrumental communication. The content makes little to no sense, but the racism nonetheless comes through loud and clear.

While using the Dennis Denuto vibe to call something racist might be accepted by some, I think it easier, and more believable, to quote Anita Sarkeesian

Gillian Triggs receives a standing ovation for:

Sadly you can say what you like around the kitchen table at home

The kitchen table, being the last home of free speech in Australia, is obviously well and truly due a change. I look forward to a time when our (or at least my) betters take the time to ensure we aren't straying from the script.

Archived