Aussies LXV - what choices have we?!

sh_wulff

28 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Hmm interesting. I'd not gone looking for anything yet so wasn't sure. Did they address concerns of false reporting due to lack of trust in the census, or just the screw ups in the actual taking of the census?

Here's the report of the independent panel. I think your point is covered off as follows:

Prior to Census night, public concerns were raised about privacy. Impacts are apparent with more persons reporting age rather than date of birth and the percentage of persons agreeing to have their Census form archived for 99 years declining when compared with previous Censuses. However, the Panel has concluded that while some changes in response were observed, their impact on the accuracy of the Census data was minimal.

YMMV I guess in terms of the credibility of the above.

26 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Victoria Police have charged Pell with sexual assault offences. He's due to appear in a Melbourne Magistrate's Court next month. 

It will be interesting now to see how he responds and whether he appears.

You beat me to it.

I predict he will now become seriously ill and will not even try to come back to Australia.

Just now, Stubby said:

You beat me to it.

I predict he will now become seriously ill and will not even try to come back to Australia.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it plays out.

If he doesn't appear, surely these formal charges (as opposed to earlier media reports and an interview with a few detectives) will affect his career in the Vatican.

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it plays out.

If he doesn't appear, surely these formal charges (as opposed to earlier media reports and an interview with a few detectives) will affect his career in the Vatican.

His employers have form for protecting his ilk.

Update:

In a statement released at 4.30am Rome time, 90 minutes after the charges were announced, Pell issues a statement announcing he would “return to Australia, as soon as possible, to clear his name”.

I wonder whether Francis has played any role in making sure that he appears. The Pope has indicated previously that he would "wait for justice" before making any comment on the allegations against Pell.

I've wondered the same, assuming he follows through. I'm expecting him to briefly stop in Majorca and suddenly become deathly ill and be unable to follow through.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I've wondered the same, assuming he follows through. I'm expecting him to briefly stop in Majorca and suddenly become deathly ill and be unable to follow through.

:lol:

I wonder how many of the younguns will get that one.

Pell already pulled ill health once to stop a return. I figure he can just hide in the Vatican, right? and if he steps out, he comes home. Won't be coming back I fear. Skase had a lot of money to fight the legal battles, if Pell does step into Italy and get caught, given he was summoned there to fix the finances, will the church protect him if it is likely to be expensive? Doesn't really matter I suppose, considering he wont leave. Wouldn't be the first accused to hide there either. No wonder Christianity's numbers are falling. 

I think we should tax them too. All religions. Considering its the taxpayer who has to pay to fight to bring them back or fight them in the courts or subsidise their education. might help fixing the budget and if they really do want to peddle their BS here, they can pay just like everyone else.

57 minutes ago, Squab said:

Pell already pulled ill health once to stop a return. I figure he can just hide in the Vatican, right? and if he steps out, he comes home. Won't be coming back I fear. Skase had a lot of money to fight the legal battles, if Pell does step into Italy and get caught, given he was summoned there to fix the finances, will the church protect him if it is likely to be expensive? Doesn't really matter I suppose, considering he wont leave. Wouldn't be the first accused to hide there either. No wonder Christianity's numbers are falling. 

I think we should tax them too. All religions. Considering its the taxpayer who has to pay to fight to bring them back or fight them in the courts or subsidise their education. might help fixing the budget and if they really do want to peddle their BS here, they can pay just like everyone else.

Pell has just give a press conference saying that he has been granted "leave" by the Pope (i.e. stepping back from his duties temporarily?) and will return to Australia to face the charges.

There was no indication of him being in ill health or that he may not return to Australia.

Oh the Majorca crack was just a Skase reference, I don't think for a second that he'll actually leave the Vatican and I think the press conference is theater to appear innocent.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Oh the Majorca crack was just a Skase reference, I don't think for a second that he'll actually leave the Vatican and I think the press conference is theater to appear innocent.

Heh. At least one, then.

1 hour ago, Squab said:

Leaders of the Public Service in Australia have been told to stop recruiting on merit, this combined with the recent audit concerning poor performers explains how so many public service systems are screwed. Luckily they have all our health records secure.

I can see why you'd be concerned by the cessation of the blind recruitment trial. I'd just make the point that there is more to the senior management of a public sector organisation than what is commonly referred to as 'merit' (e.g. education, experience). For example, it's pretty important to have a senior leadership team with diverse thought processes and backgrounds. This ensures that key government decisions are open to rigorous challenge and scrutiny, and not affected by groupthink. Here's an example of a less-than-desirable situation.

In relation to managing poor performance in the APS, I would draw your attention to this statement in your link:

In relation to managing underperformance, APS agencies face a similar environment to many other organisations in Australia, public and private.

This does restrict what can be done to rapidly improve performance. What I have seen throughout my career is incremental change in this area, rather than an overnight fix.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

I can see why you'd be concerned by the cessation of the blind recruitment trial. I'd just make the point that there is more to the senior management of a public sector organisation than what is commonly referred to as 'merit' (e.g. education, experience). For example, it's pretty important to have a senior leadership team with diverse thought processes and backgrounds.

Yes, I would not like to be hired for any reason other than merit especially if it be because I tick a few boxes on their diversity targets.

What do you mean by "Thought processes and backgrounds". Only gender and ethnic background were stripped from the CVs which I thought legally we weren't allowed discriminate based on, except for certain circumstances.

I agree many companies face similar problems to the APS although shit ones not lucky enough to leech off the taxpayer tend to go under. I would like to draw your attention to the rest of the quote you picked:

A key difference, however, is that APS agencies are covered by the Public Service Act 1999 that provides for specific requirements and confers additional rights of review for APS employees.

1 hour ago, Squab said:

Yes, I would not like to be hired for any reason other than merit especially if it be because I tick a few boxes on their diversity targets.

What do you mean by "Thought processes and backgrounds". Only gender and ethnic background were stripped from the CVs which I thought legally we weren't allowed discriminate based on, except for certain circumstances.

I agree many companies face similar problems to the APS although shit ones not lucky enough to leech off the taxpayer tend to go under. I would like to draw your attention to the rest of the quote you picked:

I mean that people of different genders and ethnicities have different life and career experiences, and they bring those invaluable experiences to the Board table. Maybe this something that we can't agree on, but I'd rather have a leadership team of truly different (but brilliant) people, than a leadership team of brilliant people, who are of the same gender, ethnic background etc.

And sure, the Public Service Act is still in force. It's up to the politicians to reform that legislation. The public service is an executive, not legislative, body.

It's also worth noting that APS bodies are not immune to "going under". Abbott was particularly assertive in the early part of his (truncated) Government in axing or slimming down Commonwealth agencies.

7 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I mean that people of different genders and ethnicities have different life and career experiences

Each and every individual has a different experience regardless. I would prefer the best person for the role.

In seemingly unrelated news an exemplary example of how out of touch those enjoying the public purse can be, I see a Senator had a whale of a time at the taxpayers expense recently. Unsurprisingly, she refuses to answer when the progeny’s ticket was booked in case it proves she is actually a seer and able to see in advance that her daughter was to be sick that day and unable to attend school. Luckily we were there to foot the bill for that flight as well as everything else. Not to stick to just whale watching though, someone who “never wanted to become a stereotypical politician” also visited Byron Bay for Splendour in the Grass and then Sydney for Mardi Gras, again all on the public purse.

Don’t believe for one second this is limited to only a few or even just one side. Rorts like this are widespread, who can forget Susssan Ley, Tony Burke, Bronnie’s helicopter and countless others. Its almost as if with every new release of expenses, there is another set of evidence that when there’s public money around, politicians rush like pigs to a trough.

41 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Pell has arrived in Sydney ahead of his first court appearance in Melbourne on July 26.

Much to my, and I am sure others, surprise. Gotta give him credit for facing up to things.

Archived